BRILLIANT!!

HAHA LOVE IT!!!

GREAT WORK!!

Old March 1, 2001, 12:03   #3
Harel
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dan, how final are those leader graphics? Both leaders look quite good in the normal posture, fairly well in the smiling mode but down-right silly near angry... they looking like they are snarling apes more then just dignified political leaders fuming... :-)
Old March 1, 2001, 12:09   #4
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 18:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
so far i am quite impressed. i was not anticipating the graphics to be as great as they are currently. everything mentioned up to this point has been beyond my expectations. keep it up!

as for teh diplomate faces... i think they should be over exagerated in order to help us better see their attitude. also, who ever just frowns when they are mad? i mean it doesnt really look exactly like thats more for when you are upset, not angry. so i think a "snarl" is quite fitting - imo

also, i am VERY happy to hear that you have a working prototype. it makes me feel better that it will be completely tested by its release. (this is and increaseingly important issue with me these days)
[This message has been edited by Nemo (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old March 1, 2001, 12:11   #5
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 19:48
quote:

Originally posted by Harel on 03-01-2001 11:03 AM
Dan, how final are those leader graphics? Both leaders look quite good in the normal posture, fairly well in the smiling mode but down-right silly near angry... they looking like they are snarling apes more then just dignified political leaders fuming... :-)

They're pretty close to final. Keep in mind that the original Civ (and to a lesser degree, Civ II) had a very light-hearted tone. We're trying to recapture some of the wit and fun attitude that the original Civ had, so you'll see that reflected in the leaders and some of the other parts of the game.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old March 1, 2001, 12:17   #6
ContradictioN

Kind of funny seeing Mao Tse Tung smiling, so I was wondering, have you done Lenin or Hitler? HEHEHE

Nope! Dan, I like it! It's good. Being too serious in THIS area, would remove the fun. The balance is good, I can see seriousness and sillyness in it. Just what the government is all about. It's good.

Old March 1, 2001, 12:34   #7
tmarcl
Warlord

*VERY* nice, Dan. I like the diplomacy section, at least as it's described. The graphics are totally cool. Just out of curiosity, are all the leaders going to be the same as from Civ's I & II? I for one would be interested in seeing Peter the Great as opposed to Lenin, and maybe Napoleon for France. Obviously, if you've already done them all, it's too late to change, but it's something to consider for Civ IV...

Marc
Old March 1, 2001, 12:36   #8
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Wow! Nifty leader faces... just like I was hoping for. I hope the diplomacy intereface takes up the full screen like Civ 1 & 2 (not a partial window like certain... other Civ style games ), it'll be fun to face them down.

Will the leaders mouths move, as if they were talking? I think that would be a neat touch, although actual speach obviously wouldn't work very well, considering the number of things they'd have to say, and the fact that you can change city and civilization names.

Actually, that makes me think of something neat I thought would be fun in Alpha Centauri. You're probably too far along to put it in, but I'll throw it out there anyway. It would be very cool if each of the leaders DID actually speak every once and awhile.

What they said wouldn't have to match what the written dialog was, it would just be for extra flavor. Most of the time the model would be silent, but sometimes it would greet you when you started negotiations, or say farewell. If you made an outrageous demand they might recoil and say "Are you mad?" (or something else appropriate to their character and personality).

I'm just worried that nifty animated faces like that will seem a little lifeless if they never say anything at all. But if they did, with their different voices and moods, I think it would add an enormous amount of flavor and character. (Although I guess if you did this they shouldn't move their mouths the rest of the time...)

I'm also really glad your going back to the more colorfull and fun style of Civ 1.

Joe
[This message has been edited by Fintilgin (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old March 1, 2001, 12:47   #9
Sparky
Warlord

Location: DC, Cleveland, Charlotte, Cimarron. Take your pick!
Take a look at the backgrounds. See anything familiar with Mao?
Old March 1, 2001, 12:47   #10
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:48
Drooldrooldrooldrooldrool...

Comb the Information squad springs to action:

Civs that will at least be there: Americans, Chinese, Iroquis, Indians, Zulus, French, English
Techs: Bronze Working
Units: Spearman (hm? There's phalanx, and there's warrior, so where does spearman fit in? Interesting...), Mig Fighter (drool...)
Neat-o stuff: Apparently there will be mutual protection pacts, right to passage agreements and trade embargoes... drool drool drool...

Droolworthy quotes:

quote:

Units that have a speed advantage over their opponent will be able to retreat from combat, but you will also be able to launch an "assault", where your units will essentially attack until they win or are killed.

quote:

terrain features will definitely not be flat. You will also see combat benefits depending on the terrain you occupy when you attack or defend. Stay tuned, as we will be talking about the terrain in more detail very soon.

quote:

We will definitely have a replay function similar to the replay system in Alpha Centauri. We're also considering adding some new features to it, but at this point, nothing has been finalized.

Oomba oomba eek... be silent, my pounding heart...

Oh yes, and since this is one of those times that gods actually descend to speak to mortals, I have a question that I've been asking since - well, forever. Will there be religion? And if there will, will you please please please include Turywenzianism as an inside joke?
[This message has been edited by Stefu (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old March 1, 2001, 12:56   #11
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
I have a plenty capable gaming system. T-bird 800, 256MB pc133, geforce2mx 32mb. But the more they show graphics on the site, the more and more I worry about the requirements this game is gonna have. Those face renders look like the stuff Nvidia's been showing for GeForce3. It looks like my 32MB card may not cut it for Civ3...

------------------
"If breakin' balls had calories in it, I'd be the phattest guy in the world, cuz dat's all youze do is break my balls!"
Old March 1, 2001, 14:45   #12
MarkG

thanks Dan!

a small summary for the lazy ones

quote:

while we have kept the conversational interface for new users, we have also created a "bargaining table" for advanced users

- Want to offer a Peace Treaty to the Iroquois, but only if they will pay 5 gold per turn? Just make the demand.

- For example, your relations with the Zulus might include a peace treaty as well as a mutual protection pact, a right of passage agreement, and a trade embargo against the French.

- Units that have a speed advantage over their opponent will be able to retreat from combat

- We're not quite ready to show it off yet, but to answer your question, terrain features will definitely not be flat. You will also see combat benefits depending on the terrain you occupy when you attack or defend.

- We will definitely have a replay function similar to the replay system in Alpha Centauri. We're also considering adding some new features to it, but at this point, nothing has been finalized.

- Yes! You will be able to create your own custom civilization using our editing tools.

Old March 1, 2001, 14:53   #13
jordanz19
Settler

YES! I can't wait for this game, every little bit of info makes the game sound even better than I expected. Keep it up.
Old March 1, 2001, 14:55   #14
-- but not Snapcase

I totally love the way the faces look- I was very skeptical when looking at the grinning still pictures but in action they are exactly as they should be. The grinning fool and the angry warrior poses are only the extremes anyway, there must be a dozen poses in between on those sliders, of which I suppose the neutral (which looks excellent in all cases) and the slightly happy (ditto) will be the most common. Fun!

Old March 1, 2001, 15:27   #15
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

The facial animation looks a lot like claymation. Takes a bit getting used to when you're used to the static diplomacy screen in civ1/2 or that animated diplomat dummy in Civ2. I used to turn those off right away, distracted too much from the game.

Well, the game seems to be progressing, that's a good sign. But I'll leave my final judgement until I've played the game myself.
Old March 1, 2001, 15:27   #16
Taliseian
Apolyton University
Chieftain

Everything I've seen so far has been fantastic.

I am soooooo looking forward to playing Civ3.

So...since there are the beginnings of working copies.....when are you gonna allow signups for the Beta Test? huh? huh??

Taliseian
Old March 1, 2001, 16:01   #17
connorkimbro
Emperor

Oh my. . ant pant pant:

Oh my. . i simply can't wait!!!!!! Keep up the great work, Firaxis!

Oh, one note. . you mentioned having a replay function "similar to that of alpha centauri"

I hope it's similar in the fact that it exists, but hopefully its alot better, right? We want details!!! After conquering the world, whatever, we want to see all the juicy details of the glorious history we have created! The replay in alpha centauri looks like it took all of 15 minutes to program and was added at the last minute.
Old March 1, 2001, 16:09   #18
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
quote:

Originally posted by connorkimbro on 03-01-2001 03:01 PM

The replay in alpha centauri looks like it took all of 15 minutes to program and was added at the last minute.

Judging by how many features that have been added in the last minute in thier earlier games I would say that that is probably exactly how long it took to do it. I still liked to have it back though.
Old March 1, 2001, 16:16   #19
kaminwx
Settler

One thing I would like to see in diplomacy is the ability to negotiate for individual land squares.

For graphics I would like to see a combination of Civ2 and Alpha Centauri. I like the elevation in AC, but the overall landscape just looks to bland. I love the clear variation of the different terrain types in Civ2, so if Firaxis could add a little elevation and blend the squares together, I'd be a happy camper.
Old March 1, 2001, 16:19   #20
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
Well, everything's been said so far, along the lines of keep up the good work and waht not...and by god, keep it up Firaxis!!

Dare I say it, but Fate will probably intervene in the development of Civ3...imagine this - a few days before Civ3 goes gold, Firaxis headquarters mysteriously blow up!! (

I think these forums would be a lot smaller cause of the community here would hang themselves.

The point? I CAN'T WAIT FOR CIV3!!!!

Old March 1, 2001, 19:19   #21
raingoon
Prince

Excited!!! This update makes me DELIGHTED. I'm rendered GOOFY with anticipation.

Leader faces are PERFECT -- just the right amount of whimsy and brings back memories of Civ I! I actually had some mindless fun sliding the little slider around but only very slightly and I'm convinced I have some idea what it must have been like to chat, albeit formally, with Old Abe himself. Harel, I think the snarling is perfect. Thought Mao looked particularly cool. Don't think VOICE acting would enhance it, tho. There is an acceptable level of goof -- necessary, even, as in Civ I -- and they've hit it right on. Which is to say, not very at all. Just right.

I agree wholeheartedly with kaminwx, who hopes that the bargaining table includes the ability to negotiate for individual tile squares (or the equivalent). Meaning, I hope it's in the cards to be able to demand and give land and negotiate political borders.

WONDERFUL job Firaxis!
Old March 1, 2001, 19:20   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:48
quote:

Thanks for continuing to send in your questions! Keep them coming and we'll post more answers in the coming weeks!

Now to our less patient Apolytoners out there: This means you should NOT start ticking the days off on a calendar and then post tearful regrets when the site isn't updated after "x" days. Notice he said "coming weeks."

Nice work, Dan. By the way, it seems one of your other duties is as a alpha/beta tester. Do you enjoy that work? Or perhaps they just let you play it more or less for fun and just report whatever you feel like?
Old March 1, 2001, 21:08   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:48
Must... clean... up... drool... Maybe later

I love the bargining table! Way to go Firaxis!!
Old March 1, 2001, 22:19   #24
ContradictioN

Just thought I'd note that the actual size of those leaders is probably the same size as the the ones in the screenshot.

Old March 2, 2001, 01:00   #25
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by fluxcapacitor on 03-01-2001 11:56 AM
I have a plenty capable gaming system. T-bird 800, 256MB pc133, geforce2mx 32mb. But the more they show graphics on the site, the more and more I worry about the requirements this game is gonna have. Those face renders look like the stuff Nvidia's been showing for GeForce3. It looks like my 32MB card may not cut it for Civ3...

You have nothing to worry about. The advisors are pre-rendered and run fine on the most ancient, feeble systems we have in the office. I have a system at home very similar to yours and the game runs like a dream.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old March 2, 2001, 01:03   #26
ContradictioN

Oh!?? the game runs fine!?!? So you are playing the game?? Where's my version then??

And you idiot! (in a nice way of course! pls don't stop civ3 shipment to NZ) I wanted to call Flux an idiot for not knowing they're pre-rendered.....*mumble* can work out what his comp specs are but not pre-rendered artwork *mumble*

Old March 2, 2001, 01:06   #27
ContradictioN

Seeing Abe angry is kind of weird

It's like seeing Jesus with a angry face or Satan with a happy peaceful face. It's odd.

And the bg is from Civ2, I think Abe's one is too. Are they just temp backgrounds or are guys trying to bring back some memories?

If so, how bout that end replay huh?? lol

Old March 2, 2001, 01:14   #28
ContradictioN

Finaly read it all (had to talk to my girl, wouldn't let me read anything, LOL, but I love her)

Anyway, all good, replay's in thats good, love Liz she looks manipulative. The diplomacy sounds great, and the terrain sounds interesting, can't wait to hear more about that. Thanks for the update, I was actualy wondering about the next update two days ago.

Old March 2, 2001, 01:23   #29
The diplomat
King

Amazing! Brilliant! Diplomacy looks absolutely amazing. I love that there will negotiations, mix-match of treaties and more choices. Trade embargoes, free passage are really great additions that will make diplomacy richer! The faces look really cool too. It does add that fun aspect to civ like civ2 did with the heralds.

Great stuff, so far Firaxis!

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old March 2, 2001, 01:38   #30
heardie
Prince

Local Time: 11:48
Dan do you mind if I ask a few non-Civ3 (kinda) questions?
1. do you artists use 3dsmax 3.1(or the new v4?)
2. Do they use CS?
3. Do the use any other Plugins (Head Designer, Shag-Hair, Shag-Fur, etc)

And how about this for a pearler
How well do you follow freeware Civ games?

BTW: Are this Question able to be asked under the ask the team page?
Thanks
heardie