Old April 3, 2002, 14:54   #1
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Computer AIs
On slowing down in between turns....

You know, I've always seen this kind of problem when computers have to manage movement of a lot of individuals. It's happened all throughout Civ. Civ II would slow down towards the end of the game somewhat as well. I don't remeber Civ I, but I'm sure it happened there too.

Civ isn't the only game I've seen this type of problem. Other games may not slow down as drastically as Civ III, but they still do. I remember old D&D games where I would get in large battles (especially if there's a chokepoint) and those darn orcs would run around for 5 minutes before they realized they couldn't get to my characters.

I don't know if the AI does a check for each unit something similar to... Do I have anything to do? (Yes / No) If Yes, go do. If no, stay still. Watching the AI's turn is like watching a 4 year old in a restaraunt. You just want to grab that jaguar warrior and say, "Sit Still Dammit!!!" Every AI unit, except for fortified ones, seems to move every turn and go nowhere.
Old April 3, 2002, 15:32   #2
Autolicus
Settler

Local Time: 22:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Computer AIs
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
On slowing down in between turns....

Every AI unit, except for fortified ones, seems to move every turn and go nowhere.
True, but then isn't that rather an apt analogy to most of our lives? Like the AI, we're all going nowhere fast . . . .