Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bush Speaks Out On The Mid-East Crises
Link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0020404-1.html

Quote:
Statement by the President on the Middle East
The Rose Garden

View the President's Remarks

11:00 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. During the course of one week, the situation in the Middle East has deteriorated dramatically. Last Wednesday, my Special Envoy, Anthony Zinni, reported to me that we were on the verge of a cease-fire agreement that would have spared Palestinian and Israeli lives.

That hope fell away when a terrorist attacked a group of innocent people in a Netanya hotel, killing many men and women in what is a mounting toll of terror.

In the days since, the world has watched with growing concern the horror of bombings and burials and the stark picture of tanks in the street. Across the world, people are grieving for Israelis and Palestinians who have lost their lives.

When an 18-year-old Palestinian girl is induced to blow herself up, and in the process kills a 17-year-old Israeli girl, the future, itself, is dying -- the future of the Palestinian people and the future of the Israeli people. We mourn the dead, and we mourn the damage done to the hope of peace, the hope of Israel's and the Israelis' desire for a Jewish state at peace with its neighbors; the hope of the Palestinian people to build their own independent state.

Terror must be stopped. No nation can negotiate with terrorists. For there is no way to make peace with those whose only goal is death.

This could be a hopeful moment in the Middle East. The proposal of Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, supported by the Arab League, has put a number of countries in the Arab world closer than ever to recognizing Israel's right to exist. The United States is on record supporting the legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people for a Palestinian state.

Israel has recognized the goal of a Palestinian state. The outlines of a just settlement are clear: two states, Israel and Palestine, living side by side, in peace and security.

This can be a time for hope. But it calls for leadership, not for terror. Since September the 11th, I've delivered this message: everyone must choose; you're either with the civilized world, or you're with the terrorists. All in the Middle East also must choose and must move decisively in word and deed against terrorist acts.

The Chairman of the Palestinian Authority has not consistently opposed or confronted terrorists. At Oslo and elsewhere, Chairman Arafat renounced terror as an instrument of his cause, and he agreed to control it. He's not done so.

The situation in which he finds himself today is largely of his own making. He's missed his opportunities, and thereby betrayed the hopes of the people he's supposed to lead. Given his failure, the Israeli government feels it must strike at terrorist networks that are killing its citizens.

Yet, Israel must understand that its response to these recent attacks is only a temporary measure. All parties have their own responsibilities. And all parties owe it to their own people to act.

We all know today's situation runs the risk of aggravating long-term bitterness and undermining relationships that are critical to any hope of peace. I call on the Palestinian people, the Palestinian Authority and our friends in the Arab world to join us in delivering a clear message to terrorists: blowing yourself up does not help the Palestinian cause. To the contrary, suicide bombing missions could well blow up the best and only hope for a Palestinian state.

All states must keep their promise, made in a vote in the United Nations to actively oppose terror in all its forms. No nation can pick and choose its terrorist friends. I call on the Palestinian Authority and all governments in the region to do everything in their power to stop terrorist activities, to disrupt terrorist financing, and to stop inciting violence by glorifying terror in state-owned media, or telling suicide bombers they are martyrs. They're not martyrs. They're murderers. And they undermine the cause of the Palestinian people.

Those governments, like Iraq, that reward parents for the sacrifice of their children are guilty of soliciting murder of the worst kind. All who care about the Palestinian people should join in condemning and acting against groups like Al-Aqsa, Hezbollah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and all groups which opposed the peace process and seek the destruction of Israel.

The recent Arab League support of Crown Prince Abdullah's initiative for peace is promising, is hopeful, because it acknowledges Israel's right to exist. And it raises the hope of sustained, constructive Arab involvement in the search for peace. This builds on a tradition of visionary leadership, begun by President Sadat and King Hussein, and carried forward by President Mubarak and King Abdullah.

Now, other Arab states must rise to this occasion and accept Israel as a nation and as a neighbor. Peace with Israel is the only avenue to prosperity and success for a new Palestinian state. The Palestinian people deserve peace and an opportunity to better their lives. They need their closest neighbor, Israel, to be an economic partner, not a mortal enemy. They deserve a government that respects human rights and a government that focuses on their needs -- education and health care -- rather than feeding their resentments.

It is not enough for Arab nations to defend the Palestinian cause. They must truly help the Palestinian people by seeking peace and fighting terror and promoting development.

Israel faces hard choices of its own. Its government has supported the creation of a Palestinian state that is not a haven for terrorism. Yet, Israel also must recognize that such a state needs to be politically and economically viable.

Consistent with the Mitchell plan, Israeli settlement activity in occupied territories must stop. And the occupation must end through withdrawal to secure and recognize boundaries consistent with United Nations Resolutions 242 and 338. Ultimately, this approach should be the basis of agreements between Israel and Syria and Israel and Lebanon.

Israel should also show a respect, a respect for and concern about the dignity of the Palestinian people who are and will be their neighbors. It is crucial to distinguish between the terrorists and ordinary Palestinians seeking to provide for their own families.

The Israeli government should be compassionate at checkpoints and border crossings, sparing innocent Palestinians daily humiliation. Israel should take immediate action to ease closures and allow peaceful people to go back to work.

Israel is facing a terrible and serious challenge. For seven days, it has acted to root out terrorist nests. America recognizes Israel's right to defend itself from terror. Yet, to lay the foundations of future peace, I ask Israel to halt incursions into Palestinian-controlled areas and begin the withdrawal from those cities it has recently occupied.

I speak as a committed friend of Israel. I speak out of a concern for its long-term security, a security that will come with a genuine peace. As Israel steps back, responsible Palestinian leaders and Israel's Arab neighbors must step forward and show the world that they are truly on the side of peace. The choice and the burden will be theirs.

The world expects an immediate cease-fire, immediate resumption of security cooperation with Israel against terrorism. An immediate order to crack down on terrorist networks. I expect better leadership, and I expect results.

These are the elements of peace in the Middle East. And now, we must build the road to those goals. Decades of bitter experience teach a clear lesson: progress is impossible when nations emphasize their grievances and ignore their opportunities. Storms of violence cannot go on. Enough is enough.

And to those who would try to use the current crisis as an opportunity to widen the conflict, stay out. Iran's arms shipments and support for terror fuel the fire of conflict in the Middle East. And it must stop. Syria has spoken out against al Qaeda. We expect it to act against Hamas and Hezbollah, as well. It's time for Iran to focus on meeting its own people's aspirations for freedom and for Syria to decide which side of the war against terror it is on.

The world finds itself at a critical moment. This is a conflict that can widen or an opportunity we can seize. And so I've decided to send Secretary of State Powell to the region next week to seek broad international support for the vision I've outlined today. As a step in this process, he will work to implement United Nations Resolution 1402, an immediate and meaningful cease-fire, an end to terror and violence and incitement; withdrawal of Israeli troops from Palestinian cities, including Ramallah; implementation of the already agreed upon Tenet and Mitchell plans, which will lead to a political settlement.

I have no illusions. We have no illusions about the difficulty of the issues that lie ahead. Yet, our nation's resolve is strong. America is committed to ending this conflict and beginning an era of peace.

We know this is possible, because in our lifetimes we have seen an end to conflicts that no one thought could end. We've seen fierce enemies let go of long histories of strife and anger. America itself counts former adversaries as trusted friends: Germany and Japan and now Russia.

Conflict is not inevitable. Distrust need not be permanent. Peace is possible when we break free of old patterns and habits of hatred. The violence and grief that troubled the Holy Land have been among the great tragedies of our time. The Middle East has often been left behind in the political and economic advancement of the world. That is the history of the region. But it need not and must not be its fate.

The Middle East could write a new story of trade and development and democracy. And we stand ready to help. Yet, this progress can only come in an atmosphere of peace. And the United States will work for all the children of Abraham to know the benefits of peace.

Thank you very much.

END 11:18 A.M. EST
Interesting. I've heard our press say this marks a 'turn-around' in Bush's policy, but I just don't see it.
Old April 4, 2002, 13:49   #2
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I wonder who wrote that speech for him, or who actually came up with the idea that puppet chimp should give a speech
Old April 4, 2002, 13:53   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Andz, how nice of you to come by and post!

Now, tell me what you really think.
Old April 4, 2002, 13:59   #4
Osama B
Settler

Its about time Bush woke up and started to do something, before none of us can afford to drive.

When the USA talks the world listens
Old April 4, 2002, 14:14   #5
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
I wonder who wrote that speech for him, or who actually came up with the idea that puppet chimp should give a speech
I expected as much from you
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old April 4, 2002, 14:25   #6
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:34
**** off. We were the only country who were ready to help you in everything, unconditionally and immediately after September 11th. After ruining Afghanistan and killing hundreds of innocents this ****ing chimp will not tell us how to protect our citizens.
Old April 4, 2002, 14:28   #7
Osama B
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
**** off. We were the only country who were ready to help you in everything, unconditionally and immediately after September 11th. After ruining Afghanistan and killing hundreds of innocents this ****ing chimp will not tell us how to protect our citizens.
The USA has spoken you WILL do as you are TOLD
Old April 4, 2002, 14:31   #8
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Whoever thought you would sound like Ecthelion. The Israelies have no room to talk about moral highground.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old April 4, 2002, 14:33   #9
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
Quote:
After ruining Afghanistan
Please enlighten us as to how the US and West "ruined" afghanistan? Are you referring to the liberation of women from oppression, the agricultural and humanitarian aid, or the nation-building surely to follow.?

I wont even touch upon your definition of self-defence..

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 4, 2002, 14:39   #10
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
The Israelies have no room to talk about moral highground.
Our moral highground is just as arguable as yours.

Quote:
Please enlighten us as to how the US and West "ruined" afghanistan? Are you referring to the liberation of women from oppression, the agricultural and humanitarian aid, or the nation-building surely to follow.?
You are right.
But even the lowest numbers of civilian casualties should tell the US to shut up about our actions. Let's see you conquer 6 cities with less than 20 killed civilians.

Quote:
That's for us to decide.
And if the last three days can be used to indicate the effectiveness of Israeli actions then you can see that they are extremely effective. No attacks at all, compare this to the chaos that was here before the Israeli invasion.
Old April 4, 2002, 15:06   #11
Osama B
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave

Dave

Old April 4, 2002, 15:13   #12
Jac de Molay
Prince

Your civilian casualty count is a fluke compared to past actions of so-called self defense. I also like what you consider "effective" - pushing back borders against an already oppressed peoples and rolling tanks up to the Nativity on the 2000 th anniversary of Jesus' death.

Way to go. Rock on!
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 4, 2002, 15:17   #13
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Your civilian casualty count is a fluke compared to past actions of so-called self defense. I also like what you consider "effective" - pushing back borders against an already oppressed peoples and rolling tanks up to the Nativity on the 2000 th anniversary of Jesus' death.

Way to go. Rock on!
Repeating the same argument will not help you. I already explained why the action is effective.

As for the first sentence, I have no idea what "fluke" means.
Old April 4, 2002, 15:34   #14
Jac de Molay
Prince

So you honestly think your scorched earth policies are effective? Effective enough to bring lasting peace? Your effective policies are only giving hamas and fatah more fuel to fan the flames of intifada. Plugging one hole in the boat wont help when the whole ship is sinking.

As for Bush, I agree- a complete moron. Especially when he's being undermined by Arab states who now embrace, of all places, Iraq in this latest mess. The whole process must be taken out of Israels and Pals hands period. Sharon and Arafat are worst of both worlds.

Dave
Old April 4, 2002, 16:01   #15
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
So you honestly think your scorched earth policies are effective? Effective enough to bring lasting peace? Your effective policies are only giving hamas and fatah more fuel to fan the flames of intifada. Plugging one hole in the boat wont help when the whole ship is sinking.
First, our policies are very far from scorched earth policies.
Second, in Camp David and in Taba it was proven that even giving more than we can will not bring lasting peace. But if you want to get into this issue, go to LOTM's thread and have fun. I'm tired of repetitive discussions about Camp David and the history of Israel.

Quote:
As for Bush, I agree- a complete moron. Especially when he's being undermined by Arab states who now embrace, of all places, Iraq in this latest mess. The whole process must be taken out of Israels and Pals hands period. Sharon and Arafat are worst of both worlds.
Yes. But Sharon will lead Israel for a year and a half from now. Arafat will lead the Palestinians until death, and his family is known for the long life of it's members.
That's another reason why I dont see solution to the conflict in the next decade. Israel tried every approuach possible, starting from Rabin's careful negotiations, through Netanyahu's "if you give you will get, if you dont give, you will not get" until Barak's attempt to solve the 100 years old conflict in a week by giving more than Israel can accept. Eventually it lead to war and Sharon was elected to wage it. Until now he's been unsuccesfull, mainly because the complete lack of initiative.
On the Palestinian side, it always was one man and he is the source of the failure.
Old April 4, 2002, 16:20   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Eli, it appeared to me that Bush was considerably softer on Israel than the Palestinians and other Arab groups. In fact, I would say he given Israel his blessing without appearing to do so; everything that he says Israel must do is set in an undefined future, while the other things he said are couched in requests--which, in many cases are so nebulous that Israel could in fact do very little and say that they are complying. Even the request were couched in terms that, for all intents and purposes, justifies everything Israel has done up to this point .

Oh...a fluke is a flatfish, native to many of the bays and inlets of North America. Like a flounder.
Old April 4, 2002, 16:52   #17
Az
Emperor

Quote:

Way to go. Rock on!
2000th anniversary?

How old was he when he died ? 2 years old?

Old April 4, 2002, 17:00   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 18:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Perhaps he feels our $4 billion per year in aid gives him the right to tell you what to do. If you don't want him to fell that way, politely refuse the aid and go your own way. I'd be fine with that. It never ceases to amaze me that when the U.S. does/says something that is less than totally 100% pro-Israeli, Israelis respond like Eli did to this speech. Sorry, Eli, we may be your ally (and a damned good one, I think), but we aren't your doormat. Occasionally, our government may actually (gasp) disagree with something your does. And even (imagine it!) say it out loud.

I thought that speech was rather good. There was some balance there. Of course he didn't write it - no U.S. president actually writes his own speeches anymore. Such is the way with politicians.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 4, 2002, 19:11   #19
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Chill Eli. Think!!!!!

Some US statement like this was inevitable. The US is building towards action that will lead to major changes in the Middle East. In that context the Bush could not stay aloof.

Now read closely. Bush makes it clear that Arafat is responsible for the situation in which he finds himself, and that he must stop terror. He faults Arafats leadership, distinguishing him from the Palestinian people. IF Arafat is let off the hook, and then again promotes terror, Bush, having said these things, will be backed into a corner, a corner not good for Arafat.

Bush insists on end to violence now, and acceptance of the Tenet and Mitchell plans - this is the prior condition for substantive peace negotiations, rather than the other way around.

Bush specifically mentions Iranian and Syrian support for terror, and warns them away. Given the US forces currently on the move around the world, this is no idle warning.

The test is how Bush follows up. the arabs and europeans demanded that Bush restrain Israel. He has done so, but at the same time has staked his own and America's prestige on his insistence that the arabs stop terrorism. If they do not, Bush now CANNOT look the other way.

And i must remind you that i am no personal fan of GW Bush. I voted against him in 2000, and expect to do so again in 2004. But this was a GOOD speech.

LOTM
Old April 4, 2002, 19:17   #20
Eli
Emperor

Look, I understand the basic logic behind this speech and I understand that this is a favorable speech to Israel but I just hate this hypocrisy when countries who suffered from terrorism and promised a global war against it criticize Israel and demand restaint and negotiations with the man who served an example for UBL.
Old April 4, 2002, 19:18   #21
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 19:34
I am a staunch supporter of Bush, and at the same time am sick and damn tired of Sharon. I see the same old crap. I am even more sick and damn tired of Arafat. It is like they can never live together...

And damn it, Israel you pissed off Turkey. That is it. Bush had to make this speech. First it was Jordan, then Egypt, and now Turkey that strongly criticized Israel. Bush had no choice but to join Egypt's and Turkey's opinion on this crisis.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 4, 2002, 19:19   #22
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Quote:
The Israelies have no room to talk about moral highground.
Our moral highground is just as arguable as yours.

ROTF

LOL LOL

exactly!

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old April 4, 2002, 19:22   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

I thought that speech was rather good. There was some balance there. Of course he didn't write it - no U.S. president actually writes his own speeches anymore. Such is the way with politicians.

-Arrian
What this shows, is that Israelis, like Europeans and others, dont really understand the post 9/11 mood in America. They(or at least some of them) look back to past American waffling, and dont believe Bush will really hold Arafat to account, or that the US will really take measures that will change the nature of the Middle East. They dont understand the new US resolve - a resolve which is not about George Bush in particular, but is a widespread change in US attitude toward the world. You and I know that things are different - that they'll never be the same - not wrt Iran, Iraq, Korea, Hamas, Afganistan, etc. I'm not sure anyone who's not American can get it - theres too much - the American attitude towards patriotism, towards American exceptionalism, towards our geographic position, etc. All of which play a role in our reactions to 9/11 and international politics. The outside world seems to think we're either warmongers thirsting for revenge or softies waiting to give up when it gets rough. the Europeans are nervous about us being warmongers - the Israelis (and probably the Kuwaits and their neighbors, more privately) are nervous about our being softies. No words here can change that, only our actions can.

LOTM
Old April 4, 2002, 19:29   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Look, I understand the basic logic behind this speech and I understand that this is a favorable speech to Israel but I just hate this hypocrisy when countries who suffered from terrorism and promised a global war against it criticize Israel and demand restaint and negotiations with the man who served an example for UBL.
Do not attempt to calm a man when he has his dead is in front of him - or something like that - from Pirke Avot, I think. I understand how you feel. I understand the outrage. I hope my posts have shown how I feel it.

But this man does not deserve our outrage now. If you cant stand hypocritical words, you must turn away from international affairs. The US, strong though we are, is not strong enough to speak truth without weighing the consequences. The test will be in results. I do not think we have long to wait.

LOTM
Old April 4, 2002, 20:27   #25
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

From a pragmatic and optimistic point of view, Bush's speech was very good.

The only thing is, we need 4 more weeks to get results.

If we stop now, NOTHING will be done.

If we stop now, it's as if we've done NOTHING.

From my personal point of view - I'm not longer a supporter of peace or of the peace process.

The arabs have not accepted the legitimacy of Israel and are using steps to deligitimize and overpower it.

I don't know what to do now, since I see no way to avoid it, but I'm thinking aobut it.

Whomever wishes, should read my lengthy quotes in the "Barak Proposals" forum.

I'm informing you that I will bump that everyday, until everyone has read these stories.
Old April 4, 2002, 20:34   #26
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 19:34
Sorry Siro, but fours weeks will not be possible. I think Bush knows this and Sharon knows this. Four more weeks could intensify Turkish and Egyptian Criticism too, and US support would most likely be cut off.

Bush laid down the lines:

1) Israeli Troops need to pull out
2) A ceasefire must be accepted, with no conditons
3) All suicide bombings must end

You know Siro, you country made a major mistake pissing off Egypt and Turkey, two of the only arab countries that recognize Israel. I am sick and tired of your country's operations, and the inept Arafat leadership aswell.

But Israel must pull out or there could be a major dispute that Turkey and Egypt might even get involved, and that is not good. If Turkey and Egypt do, Israel's economy could be severely hurt.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old April 4, 2002, 20:35   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Tut tut. The US doesn't like to hear such statements coming from its stoolies.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 4, 2002, 20:36   #28
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Tut tut. The US doesn't like to hear such statements coming from its stoolies.
We prefer the term Vassal or Client State.
Old April 4, 2002, 20:52   #29
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

We prefer the term Vassal or Client State.
\

Sounds so much more professional
Old April 5, 2002, 00:33   #30
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Gian, I bet we could pull off for another week.

I bet IDF is being told to speed up... perhaps we'll need more troops

Anyway, we're tired of listening to other people's whims.

It's not americans or turks or egyptians being blown up.