Old April 4, 2002, 16:55   #1
Timbtoo
Settler

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Question from an virgin newbie!
I have never played Civ II, but have picked up a copy off of E-Bay. I also stumbled across a Tolkien mod. that I have DL'd, and can't wait to play. However, it says that I will need the Civ II Conflicts in Civilization CD to properly enjoy playing it.
After searching all over the net, I of course can't get this anywhere (after all, its an older game). My question is, can anyone better define what all the Civ II CD versions are, or better would the Gold edition, include all the features of the CiC CD?

Thnx

Tim
Old April 4, 2002, 17:35   #2
Pavlov
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
I can't tell you the features of all the versions so far but I can tell you that I have Civ 2 ultimate classic collection and that includes CiC, fantastic worlds and multi-player gold edition.

A recommended buy, if only I could tell you where you could buy it today. Ah, nuts, not much help I guess.

Btw, was "to properly enjoy it" exactly what the game said? Or did it simply crash?
Old April 4, 2002, 18:06   #3
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:34
yes, Gold version includes CiC and Fantastic Worlds addons.FW added some scenario tools(not the best) and the all important ability to read events.txt.This is the "meat" of all good scenarios.

iirc
2.42-original solo Civ2.Can't read events and no multiplay.
2.78-Fantasic Worlds Add on...adds scenario tools and events.txt capability.Also come with some scenarios.

CiC...an addon of scenarios.Not much else afaik.

MGE-multiplayer gold edition-adds all of the above plus multiplay(very good,still stands as one great multiplay game despite the odd glitch).Also adds a more hostile AI.Can be a problem in some scenarios..like an American sneak attack against Britain in a world war 1 scenario on turn 2.Fortunately,many of the user created scenarios forbid diplomacy so no problem.

My all time fav:Red Front by Capt Nemo and Alex the Magnificant.Every civ player should play this at least once.

Last edited by Smash; April 4, 2002 at 18:14.
Old April 5, 2002, 03:08   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Taken from The Great Library Index - see the Civ2 Strategy forum
NEW TO CIV2?

If you are learning the basics of the game, you may be confused with much of the terminology used in the discussions. Like most organisations we have our share of shorthand, jargon and abbreviations. Very often Wonders in the game are shortened: -

Cope's = Copernicus' Observatory
Mike's = Michaelangelo's Chapel
Gardens = Hanging Gardens … to name but a few!

Abbreviations can be just as confusing to the newcomer:-

MPE - Marco Polo's Embassy
STWA - Sun Tzu's War Academy
WLT*D - We Love the (*Leader of whatever government) Day - refers to the important concept of celebrating cities. The above are just examples - there are many more.

In addition many posters refer to each other by their initials. For example MWHC is a person (My Wife Hates Civ), as is EST (East Street Trader) - nothing to do with Eastern Standard Time!

Different editions of the game may cause some confusion. The original game is known as 2.42. To check your own edition - start a game and then open the Game Menu. Click on Game Options and the game edition will be displayed at the top of the window. If you find that your edition has a reference number less than 2.42, you can (and should) download a patch from here.

Later versions of Civ 2 are:

2.62 Conflicts in Civilization
2.7.8 Fantastic Worlds
Ultimate Civilization 5.3 (European Edition) allowing Hot Seat/Multiplayer Games - apparently only released in the UK.
Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4 (MPGE) - allowing Hot Seat/Multiplayer Games - this is the version of multiplayer available to most of the world (except Europe)
Ultimate Civilization Classic Collection is a slight variant on MPGE available in Europe.

ToT (Test of Time) latest patch is version 1.1

In conjunction with reading the information in the Great Library, don't forget the considerable amount of help the game itself provides. The Civilopedia contains knowledge on Scientific Advances (Tech Tree), City Improvements, Game Concepts, Governments, Military Units, Terrain and Wonders of the World. There is also a Tutorial Game, which is useful for beginners.
Apparently the cut and paste I used to get this here lost the link for the 2.42 patch - but go to Strat and look at the original ...
Old April 5, 2002, 08:53   #5
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maybe the Great Library should be advertised better... there are still many newbie questions here
Old April 5, 2002, 19:42   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If you can't find them in your local second hand software shops, you can download the Fantastic Worlds and MGE versions of Civ from http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2cedric.shtm

I'm not sure how legal this is though
Old April 5, 2002, 20:17   #7
Smash
Emperor

Cedric's update is not a working copy of the game in any version.It updates files to make your allready existing version into a later version.You can convert 2.42 to MGE.

If you do not own a copy of Civ2,Cedric's updates do absolutely nothing.
Old April 8, 2002, 14:31   #8
Timbtoo
Settler

Thanks for the help! If I run into the bugs mentioned I will be sure to visit the site posted to get the patches! Also, Smash, I wasnt angling for a free dl, I don't pirate software. The designers, even now IMO, deserve my ten bucks.
Old April 8, 2002, 19:53   #9
Smash
Emperor

I know but there seems to be a mistaken impression the Cedric's patch is a pirated version of the game.Its not.I just wanted to make that clear.
Old April 9, 2002, 03:16   #10
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
I know but there seems to be a mistaken impression the Cedric's patch is a pirated version of the game.Its not.I just wanted to make that clear.
Surely this is a matter of opinion, Smash. Microprose/Firaxis never intended there to be a (free) upgrade path from v2.42 through FW to MGE - if they had they would have released the patches and not sold the add-ons - or in MGE's case the game itself.
Personally I view Cedric's 'patch' as on the iffy side of borderline - but have refrained from speaking against it since it serves a purpose to the gaming community that Microprose/Firaxis seem determined not to provide - even at a price. I cannot, however, sit silently when it is described as 'legal'. Sorry.
All the above very much IMHO of course.
Old April 9, 2002, 09:59   #11
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
What a great debate
Scouse Gits is right that it is not legal.
But on the other hand, it is very helpful for people who don't own a version : there were so many. I've bought them all, but I don't think everyone should do the same
Maybe that it should be tolerated
Anyway, has Infogrammes (if they are those who own the rights) said anything about it
Old April 9, 2002, 10:06   #12
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Oh yes, and another thought
Sometimes ago, there was on the forum a method on how to adapt the mapeditor to ToT. Is it legal
Why is not more advertised, I think the people who bought only ToT were "cheated"
Old April 10, 2002, 06:30   #13
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Julius!

Didja ever get around to putting the 'Maximap' on Apolyton?