Old April 4, 2002, 19:57   #1
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Worker waste
If you interrupt a worker, you lose all its work on a given task. That's annoying and illogical to me, but it really struck home in my current game.

I had two units clearing a jungle tile. They were one turn from completing the task, and I decided to reassign worker A, thinking that B would then finish in two turns. Checking B, I was dismayed to find it was then 13 turns from completion.

Of course, that would follow the general rule: an interrupted worker's previous effort is totally wasted.

This seems like, if not a bug, then a design error. After all, would a jungle or forest grow back immediately? I could see some loss of progress, maybe a slowly increasing loss over time, but a total waste?

What do you think?
Old April 4, 2002, 21:04   #2
Tuberski

I think it is designed that way on purpose.

Back in the first Civ, you could start a worker mining, for instance, and then cancel it, start him mining again, cancel again, over and over. You could get the mine done in 1 turn by one worker. I believe that now if you try that, it will say that the worker has already moved and can't perform another action So it seems like the loss of work is now redundant.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 7, 2002, 23:07   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
I think as long as at least one worker stays on the job, you shouldn't lose work that's already done. If one worker unit can do a job by itself, one worker unit should be able to complete a job that had previously had a larger team assigned to it.

Nathan
Old April 8, 2002, 15:34   #4
Purple
Prince

I agree with you nbarclay, that would be logical. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I would like to see this addressed in a future patch. Perhaps it could be an option (Interrupted work is lost: yes/no).

[edited for spelling]
Old April 8, 2002, 23:06   #5
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
not another option !!! all these options I think will hinder any development of MP .
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old April 9, 2002, 16:48   #6
Purple
Prince

I doubt it. MP is probably firmly on the agenda. Other changes in themselves are not likely to delay its development. And options are good. Choice is good. Let's hear it for toggles!