Old April 5, 2002, 00:03   #1
Odd
Settler

Local Time: 19:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How looks like the cities where you live
I decided to start this tread because I noticed there are people from all parts of the world here, and I find amusing the descriptions of the places where they live.
I would like to hear how your city works, and how is living in a small town in Germany or a metropolis in Asia or a city in the american midwest. Share your experiences!

I will start with the place where I live, São Paulo. Actually I live in Campinas, a 1 million pp city 100 km far from São Paulo. But as nobody here know it, I will speak of SP.

The biggest distinction of São Paulo from american metropolises is that there is no well defined downtown with lots of skycrapers. The tallest building in São Paulo has only 45 floors, and most buildings range from 10 - 30 floors. No huge skycrapers. It's instead a homogeneous vast jungle of medium density. The total area of the metropolis has 8000 sq kilometers. You get a almost endless background (there are few places where you can see the city's border) of small and medium buildings mixed with houses. Socketed in this background and spread around you have some distinct sections.
The old downtown, with run-down office buildings, some historical constructions, and a crowded popular commercial area.
The Paulista Avenue and it's surroundings, a sort of "Wall Street", with lots of rich skycraper's build from 80/today mostly belonging to banks. An agitated cultural life (lots of cinemas, theates, bars) and elite commecial zones, with stores like Baccarat, Giorgio Armani, ect
The "new" downtown, with very tall and modern-looking buildings, similar to the ones of Hong-Kong. Little cultural life, just extremaly expensive offices from multinationals, like Microsoft.
You have also degraded zones, rich zones, but all inserted in the urban caos of buildings...
Mass transit don't work well, the overall traffic jam gets regularly to 200 km, from an average of 120 km. The rich people uses helicopters as cars, so it's the second city in numer of helicopters. It's also violent and very poluted, although not as much as Mexico City.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpn01_vista_aerea.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	12732  
Old April 5, 2002, 03:45   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
i live in the suburbs of long island.

the houses dont get much bigger than 3 stories here
Old April 5, 2002, 05:39   #3
philler
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:35
I live in a 1500-soul French village.

work in a 50000 hab city, a 3-minute drive away from home (when traffic is bad )
Old April 5, 2002, 08:39   #4
Orac
Settler

Local Time: 22:35
I live in Haarlem, pop. 150000. No skyscrapers, no degraded zones, no traffic-jam. About 20 km to the east = Amsterdam, more
importantly, 3 km to the west = beach
Old April 5, 2002, 08:50   #5
Nym
Prince

I live in a 15000 hab. city near Versailles and work in a 20000 hab. city 10 min. drive away. But I can work anywhere around Paris with my job (consulting).
Old April 5, 2002, 09:10   #6
Thrawn05
King

Mine looks like one big getto.
Old April 5, 2002, 09:19   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I live and work in a 2500 soul German village north of Nuremberg. Good food and great beer, envy me, people .

Btw, that has to do what with Civ3? Doesn't that belong in OT?
Old April 5, 2002, 10:29   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Btw, that has to do what with Civ3? Doesn't that belong in OT?
Good Point
Old April 5, 2002, 10:52   #9
XarXo
Prince

I live in Barcelona, in European Union. I'ts only 4.5 millions but is OK.

Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia (it only has 8 of the 18 towers that will have, and the tallest one will be 170 meters!! The ones that you see now are only 92 meters)

L'Eixample (the XIX century expansion of the city, full of amaizing buildings of styles like Modernisme)

BTW, this thread is a bit OT not? Create a "Tourism" Forum!!
Old April 5, 2002, 11:23   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I live in Mississauga. It's essential one giant suburb with a few sky-rise buildings thrown in amongst the town houses in the 'down town' area.

The most prominent building in the entire city is probably the town hall. (go figure )

Do It Ourselves
Old April 5, 2002, 11:51   #11
loleod
Settler

I live in a city outside of Boston , MA , USA. Boston itself has 600,000 people ( Which is allot less then many people think). There only one boundry to city life here though and thats the waterfront. Metro Boston reaches out for miles , and that includes my city ( population of 35,000).

Outside of the US we are mostly known for our schools which include MIT, Harvard , BU, BC , Emerson and a few more big names ( Although MIT and Harvard are not located within the city of Boston). Other then that people from other parts of the world may find it boring over here because 90 percent of tourist spots are dedicated to our fight against the English for independance.

We are also part of a megaopolis that goes from lower New Hampshire , over to New York City , and Finally down to Washington DC. Any of the above named places can be reached by acceltrain ( really fast trains that are based off of trains out of Japan) within a few hours.

Also it cannot be forgotten we are the home of the world famous kennedy family , I think that has to be the worst export in town. We have also been blasted for having really bad airport security. In the past few weeks they had to evacuate 3 terminals due to metal detectors being unplugged!
Old April 5, 2002, 11:54   #12
Seeker
Emperor

http://www.city.london.on.ca/Mapphot...togallmain.htm

Here's an awful link....by Odin's missing eye, they've just the most boring buildings to represent Our Fair City to the public...it really isn't that bad.

We have a lot of nice Edwardian buildings in London.

There are a few tall buildings downtown. Our worst feature is continual, backfiring 'urban core renewal' projects.

http://www.stpetersseminary.ca/facilities/fr_03.html

a really bad picture of the seminary across the street
Old April 5, 2002, 11:59   #13
Cairo_East
Chieftain

I'm a university student in the aptly named town of State College. State College is a town of ~70,000 year-round residents and 40,000 students. The location has more rain than Seattle, but that means we have large temperate forests that surround us.

It's located at the junction of two valleys in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains, and is notable for being one of the largest metropolitan areas in the USA without a major interstate. Most of the commercial development is located in the 2-3 storey pedestrian downtown that is located next to the University. Newer, big box commercial retail has started to spring up along another road on the north side of town.

As a student, most major facilities are within walking distance, and the bus system has a fairly complete coverage of the city. Otherwise, like most US cities, the car is an important mode of transport.

Probably the most notable feature is Beaver Stadium, one of the 10 largest stadiums in the world. A stadium-record 109,313 people watched a collegiate American Football game here between Penn State and Miami, Florida last September (including myself). People from across the Eastern U.S. come 7 or 8 times a year and completely energize the city and the economy. The lack of an interstate becomes a curse for those who drive in for the weekend.

Bucolic, eh???
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	montage.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	12806  
-"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)

Last edited by Cairo_East; April 5, 2002 at 15:18.
Old April 5, 2002, 12:10   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Old April 5, 2002, 12:16   #15
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My city looks pretty cool

Posting some maps soon, I need to find them in my web folder
Old April 5, 2002, 12:18   #16
Spec
Emperor

Montreal, my town.

[IMG]http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/portail_VM/images/pano_***.jpg[/IMG]

Stupid server.....the adress of the image has "t i t" in it and it wont let me post it cuz it changes it for ***. Gos that stupid....

Last edited by Spec; April 5, 2002 at 12:32.
Old April 5, 2002, 12:21   #17
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

I didn't know Montreal was a red cross on white ground
Old April 5, 2002, 12:26   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Riga, the 800 year old capitol of Latvia.

The old city pics.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	stone-06.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	12787  
Old April 5, 2002, 12:34   #19
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Can't resist posting more. Love the way Riga looks, the Old Town, especially some clusters of it.

A tower view.

One of the buildings detail.

The Blackhead House, rebuilt in 1999 during night.

Some important towers.

Sun rising over the Old Town.

Enough for now .
Old April 5, 2002, 12:49   #20
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Gothenburg, pop ~600.000

As a harbour city, water is central to the life of Göteborg. The Göta Älv river divides the city into north and south, before flowing out into one of Sweden's most stunning archipelagos.

City Centre
The heart of the city is on the south bank of the river, encircled by what used to be the old moat. Avenyn, Göteborg's main street, stretches away south of the moat, to Götaplatsen square, with its familiar statue of Poseidon. Other parts of Göteborg that also count as the centre are Vasastaden, picturesque Haga and Linnéstaden, including Linnégatan, Göteborg's second most lively street.

GO THERE!

Last edited by Zoid; April 5, 2002 at 12:56.
Old April 5, 2002, 13:03   #21
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Solver: I love Rigas old town, I was there in ´92 (or was it ´91? I cant remember) and one of the things I noticed was the nice ambience in the older parts of the city. But some parts looked awfully run down in a general Soviet-style decay... Is the city less Soviet-looking now? I´d love to go back and check for my self, but I´m a student (again...) and I´m in dire need of cash as it is...
Old April 5, 2002, 13:10   #22
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
I go to college in Bozeman, MT, a medium sized town next to some nice looking scenery:

I live in Hamilton, MT, an incredibly small, boring town with nothing to do. Before that, I lived in Missoula, the 2nd largest city in Montana. It's a 40 minute drive from Hamilton and I like it a lot more than Hamilton:

Old April 5, 2002, 13:18   #23
Zoid
inmate

Damn, Ixnay. That first picture looks almost surrealistic

Edit: typo

Last edited by Zoid; April 5, 2002 at 13:25.
Old April 5, 2002, 13:24   #24
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Can't resist posting more. Love the way Riga looks, the Old Town, especially some clusters of it.

wow Your PM was here in Athens (nice lady BTW) and said the capital was beautiful and one that can should visit...
Old April 5, 2002, 13:30   #25
Unix
Chieftain

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	dallas.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	12796  
Old April 5, 2002, 13:59   #26
godinex
Prince

San Jose, Costa Rica
Cosmopolitan San José lies to an altitude of 3.770 feet above sea level. This Central American city with nearly perfect climate, modern surroundings and warm, friendly residents has lured many travelers to stay and call it home.

Daytime temperatures average between 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit with a rainy season that lasts from May to October. During the rainy season, showers fall primarily during the afternoon hours and produce refreshing breezes.

The Central Valley in which San José finds itself is the central nervous system of the country. Government, finance and economic sectors all headquarters is sleek San José.

Many visitors to the capital city will find themselves pleasantly surprised by the smooth blend of modern skyscrapers and classic architecture. If there is one city that is pleasure to walk through, it is San José.

San José is home to nearly a third of Costa Rica's population. The bustling streets can attest to that figure in the early morning hours when everyone is heading to work. But don't be intimidated by the rush - head on out among them and take in the sights as you walk along.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mosaico costa rica.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	12800  
Old April 5, 2002, 14:10   #27
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
This is where I live.

I like it.

Its big.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	downtown.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	12801  
Old April 5, 2002, 14:21   #28
Bird
King

Local Time: 18:35
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
I go to college in Bozeman, MT, a medium sized town next to some nice looking scenery:

Dinosaur bar. Great rice and beans.
Old April 5, 2002, 14:38   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. A town of about 1M people. Fastest growing city in Canada, strongest economy of Canada. Mostly oil & gas companies, and some technology stuff too.

It's about a 1.5-2 hour drive from the Canadian Rockies (to the west of us), which makes for great snowboarding and skiing.

Old April 5, 2002, 14:52   #30
Goingonit
Warlord

Like roughly 4 million other people, I live in Toronto.