Old April 5, 2002, 15:02   #31
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Goingonit
Like roughly 4 million other people, I live in Toronto.
All of the lights are green. Ah, I see... it must of happened when they where editing out all of the smog.

Do It Ourselves
Old April 5, 2002, 15:10   #32
Goingonit
Warlord

Local Time: 17:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

All of the lights are green. Ah, I see... it must of happened when they where editing out all of the smog.
Smog? What smog? *cough* *cough* oh, that smog...

Maybe they took those pictures when there was a 50-kph north wind blowing.
Old April 5, 2002, 15:15   #33
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 19:35
(for more pictures go here: http://www.buenosairesvirtual.com/eng/ )

City of 14.6 Million People - Buenos Aires!

Recoleta, Buenos Aires, Argentina:

San Nicolas, Buenos Aires, Argentina:

San Telmo, Buenos Aires, Argentina:

Puerto Madero (Downtown), Buenos Aires, Argentina:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	fotoptomadero.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	12805  
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.

Last edited by Giancarlo; April 5, 2002 at 15:20.
Old April 5, 2002, 15:21   #34
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
Solver: I love Rigas old town, I was there in ´92 (or was it ´91? I cant remember) and one of the things I noticed was the nice ambience in the older parts of the city. But some parts looked awfully run down in a general Soviet-style decay... Is the city less Soviet-looking now? I´d love to go back and check for my self, but I´m a student (again...) and I´m in dire need of cash as it is...
The city definitely looks much less Soviet. Not as good as, say, London or Berlin, but surely close to than than in 1991/1992. You just have to see the Convent Yard (Konventa Seta) that is in the old town now, near the St. Peter's church. My favorite place of the city.
Old April 5, 2002, 15:35   #35
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 23:35
Nice I will definetly try to go there when I get the chance, maybe I´ll do another trip like 91/92. Riga > Berlin >Prague> Budapest >Vienna. I guess a lot of things have changed in 10 years...
Old April 5, 2002, 16:08   #36
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
The city I live in (Sønderborg, Denmark) is a city (town?) with about 10,000 - 20,000 inhabitans (I guess), and the best picture of the city is here:

There's not much to say about...except from...please get me the hell outta there, I'm tired of this place
Old April 5, 2002, 16:19   #37
Kristalli
Settler

My city
Hmm....theres nothin much to say about Turku. It's too near Sweden!

Well, theres about 170 000 people living here. The highest building? 16 floors... Yea, I know...

But the summer is wonderful here! An a lot of grazy people. This is what we do every evening:

And this is so old I can't even remember... (someone's going to kill me...)

And this tells it all:

Come here people and I'll show you more!
There's really nothing much to say. University: yes. Great hockeyteam: yes. Subways: no. Airport: yes (tiny). Beautiful girls: yes.

Old April 5, 2002, 16:22   #38
finkian
Settler

I come from the lovely college town of eugene, Oregon, haven for hippies, beatnicks, anarchists, hobos, homos, and general ne'er do wells-- tis a rainy existence there, but one ever puncuated by topless protests, college riots, and a thriving marijuana trade. Ahhhh, home sweet home.
Old April 5, 2002, 17:26   #39
Demon Allbran
Warlord

Kris(talli), should we post some vidcaps from Levottomat and show 'em what Turku really is like?
Old April 5, 2002, 17:28   #40
Seeker
Emperor

Hey 'carlocito, if you're going to post Buenos Aires pics, you should show the Water Palace.
Old April 6, 2002, 00:47   #41
Goingonit
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by finkian
I come from the lovely college town of eugene, Oregon, haven for hippies, beatnicks, anarchists, hobos, homos, and general ne'er do wells-- tis a rainy existence there, but one ever puncuated by topless protests, college riots, and a thriving marijuana trade. Ahhhh, home sweet home.
Cool, I know someone who teaches in the lovely college town of Eugene, Oregon. Two people, even! Neither of them are hippies, beatnicks, anarchists, hobos, homos, or general ne'er do wells
Old April 6, 2002, 04:04   #42
LTEC!
Goddess

Local Time: 15:35
Picture of Tijuana
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tijua01.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	12847  
Old April 6, 2002, 04:30   #43
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:35
Edmonton, Alberta
The Northernmost point of developed civilization in the Americas. Perhap's the world. OK, Alaskans and Boris might argue, if they could escape the Polar Bears...

A ribbon of green (a couple miles wide) runs through this burg of perfection. Roughly 1 million people share my geographical location, and many of them feel the same as I do. There is no place like home. Even if it can hit -40 centigrade with regularity come January. The summers more than make up for it...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	edmonton.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	12848  
Old April 6, 2002, 09:14   #44
Kristalli
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Demon Allbran
Kris(talli), should we post some vidcaps from Levottomat and show 'em what Turku really is like?

No.
Old April 6, 2002, 10:11   #45
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
I live in the little overhistorical shithole of York (Celtic farm -> Roman Fort -> Viking Capital -> Major mediaeval stronghold -> Major battle site -> Important trading town -> Railway centre -> Military base -> University town), pop. negigible (okay, 100 000), famous for it's rather boring city walls, noncommittant mediaeval streets (Grey stone upon ****ing grey stone intersperesd with high-street shops) and one of the most ill-designed cathedrals I've ever seen, the huge-but-boring Minster. But that's not my city, as you may have guessed. No, I live for the Beauty on Water, the consistently wonderful city of Stockholm...

If you got a map of Sweden, and had to pinpoint exactly where you'd place a city, Stockholm would quite possibly be it- it's one of those locations endowed by nature with near-perfect opportunities for trade and living. To the west lies sweden's third largest lake, to the east the Baltic sea, and the very centre of Stockholm, at a set of short, well, rapids is the single point where one flows into the other. This results in a city fractured onto a multitude of islands, so clean that you can fish huge salmon in the middle of town, and perfectly poised as a centre of trade. The first of these is the most important- it makes Stockholm feel a whole lot bigger than it actually is (pop. 1 500 000), and much more structured and intense than bigger but more spread-out cities- Almost like half a London, if you will, not one one tenth of the size. The number of record shops, for instance, is simply astounding- the highest concentration in europe in some areas.

There are some weaknesses- the Central Station and surrounding tracks destroy large parts of the city, the best and most hilly streets were flattened out a hundred to fourty years ago, a lot of the city has been destroyed from time to time... But there is nothing like a walk through Vasatan or Södermalm to bring me joy.
Old April 6, 2002, 10:50   #46
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

http://www.tour-haifa.co.il/indexEng.html
Old April 6, 2002, 13:07   #47
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Ah, the city of Kingston-Upon-Hull in Yorkshire, Northern England stands on the estuary of the River Humber. The population of Hull plus adjoining areas (the whole metropolitan area) is 450 000 people. Hull is a major container/passenger port, university city and in the past a large fishing port, all of which leave quite an impression on the city, although in the modern era, it is a relatively poor, socially derelict city, although not an aesthetically unappealing one which many attractions to visit, including the recently opened Deep project at a cost of over £40m (still got to visit there myself, only opened 3 weeks ago )

Here are some piccies of the city, here is The Deep itself:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	10430-100-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	12866  
Old April 6, 2002, 13:10   #48
Provost Harrison
Deity

Here is a picture of the Guildhall:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	guild72.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	12867  
Old April 6, 2002, 13:12   #49
Provost Harrison
Deity

Here is the Humber Bridge. Until recently this was the longest single-span suspension bridge in the world:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	humber.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	12868  
Old April 6, 2002, 13:25   #50
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

The Altmarkt or old marketplace in Cottbus, south Brandenburg, East Germany.

It has a population of about 150,000 people if you count the area around us in. First settlements were Slav villages around, adjacent to the Spree river that also crosses Berlin. Later some castle was built and first mentioned by chronicles in the year AD 1156. We've got a historical old town which you can see on that pic. The city bloomed twice in the past 150 years, The first big hit was the growing textile industry in the 19th century. The city had a population of about 60,000 before WWII. The 2nd boom was in communist times, when Cottbus and the surrounding Lausitz region became some kind of eenrgy central of the GDR due to rich coal supplies. In 1989, the population of the city as such peaked at about 128,000, it is about 106,000 today.

Following a map of the region.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	cottbus1.gif
Views:	64
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	12869  
Old April 6, 2002, 13:25   #51
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

And the city itself
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	cottbus2.gif
Views:	65
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	12870  
Old April 6, 2002, 13:54   #52
Colon™
Emperor

Here are home-made pictures of Antwerp. The scenery is nothing to drool about and there are no spectacular light effects but at least you know you aren’t being deceived.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	sunnyalcatel(edit).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	12876  
Old April 6, 2002, 14:02   #53
Colon™
Emperor

Here's a museum, shot in the back.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	mus(edit)k.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	12877  
Old April 6, 2002, 18:37   #54
Anodyne
Prince

Mänttä, a small town with ~7000 inhabitants. Well, actually I live some 8 km outside the town, quite literally in the middle of forest, our nearest neighbour being some 600m away.

Now, couldn't really find any nice overall picture, but this gives quite a correct image...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	tehdas.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	12886  
Old April 6, 2002, 21:53   #55
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
Has anyone here not seen pictures of Los Angeles?

While cities like gorgeous Riga have a homogeneous architecture, the architecture in L.A. is an ad hoc pot pourri: a combination of Spanish Mediterranean, post-WWII-suburban bland, glass-box skyscrapers, what-were-they-thinkin? (such as in the Brown Derby, the Tail of the Pup) and pseudo-international (such as the Mann's Chinese Theater and the Citadel's Assyrian architecture).

Following the 1933 Long Beach earthquakes, Angelenos decided it would be safer to grow out and not up. So building rarely had more than a few floors. But area-wise, Los Angeles became the second largest city in the U.S. This vast terrritory also gave rise to the freeway mentality. Also, we lost any viable downtown. Rather, we ended up with dozens of city centers, scattered all over the place.

It's only been the last few decades that building techniques have improved to the point L.A. began building skyscrapers. Our downtown is again returning and is very new and beautiful.

We've also become the No. 1 port of entry into the U.S. which gives us very diverse demographics. We have also become No. 2 in population, after NYC. In Los Angeles, the people are nice but phoney. Whereas in New York, they are hostile but sincere.
Old April 6, 2002, 23:16   #56
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 18:35

The city of Washington is rather small. Only 550,000 people live here, but about 2 million people work here, especially lawyers and government workers (that's why everybody loves us ).

Washington is a study in contrasts. About half of the city is filled with quite nice town houses, mansions, condo apartment buildings, and federal landmarks. The other half is pretty rough, and some of it could be described fairly as a warzone. Over 200 people are murdered each year in that portion of the city...

Washington is an atypical U.S. city for a number of reasons. It is one of the only cities in the U.S. to have building height restrictions. No building can be taller than the Statue of Freedom on top of the capitol dome--i.e., ~13 stories. This makes for a very odd downtown. There is an area of about 100 blocks square filled with 13-story office buildings.

Another atypical item is that Washington was planned by a Frenchman and was meant to take the best from the layout of Paris and Saint Petersburg. The city is laid out on a hub and spoke system, much to the confusion of visiting drivers to the city. But it makes for very quick travel for those who know their way around.

Also, in the infinite wisdom of our founding fathers, Washington is placed right in the middle of a swamp. We don't quite know what they were thinking, but August often hits 95 degrees F, with unbearable humidity.

Lastly, Washington has very good public transportation. The subway system is modern, clean, comfortable, safe, dependable, cheap, etc. Fortunately, the metro stations double for thermonuclear bomb shelters and can move about 1 million out of the city in about an hour. There are several commuter rail lines too.

It's a cool city in which to live or to visit. Much of the city is kept meticulously by the Park Service.

Visit in early April (cherry blossoms) or mid-September (exceptionally nice weather) for a treat.

Everything 13 stories...

Relaxing at DuPont Circle, near where I live.

...in front of the fountain in the middle of the circle

Go Metro...

The Washington Monument, wrapped in the National Condom for renovations...

The Capitol. Statue of Freedom at tp...

The Supreme Court...

My name's Forrest. Forrest Gump.

The front of the white house facing the Washington Monument...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; April 6, 2002 at 23:23.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:20   #57
Colon™
Emperor

"Washington is an atypical U.S. city for a number of reasons. It is one of the only cities in the U.S. to have building height restrictions. No building can be taller than the Statue of Freedom on top of the capitol dome--i.e., ~13 stories. This makes for a very odd downtown. There is an area of about 100 blocks square filled with 13-story office buildings. "

Does that give the city a somewhat European looks? (bit like Paris or Barcelone but more orderly and modern) High rise never has been very popular around here.

Last edited by Colon™; April 7, 2002 at 08:25.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:37   #58
Provost Harrison
Deity

Well I shall post some more pictures of Hull. Here is the City Hall in the background with the Queen Victoria monument in the foreground:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	photo4a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	12909  
Old April 7, 2002, 08:39   #59
Provost Harrison
Deity

The Town Docks Museum:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	towndocksmuseum.gif
Views:	39
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	12910  
Old April 7, 2002, 08:41   #60
Provost Harrison
Deity

That last picture is a bit strange But you get the idea.

Here is Hull Marina:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	marina3_jpg.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	12911