Old April 7, 2002, 09:17   #61
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mmmm I’m going to show some tourist pictures anyway, otherwise nobody gets to realise how nice Antwerp really is.

Cathedral of Our Lady

City-hall

Court house currently under construction, designed by Richard Rogers

Cathedral again

Central (railway) Station

First steel-frame building on the European continent

There are plenty more of nice pictures but I wouldn't want to clog up the network.

Last edited by Colon™; April 7, 2002 at 09:26.
Old April 7, 2002, 11:20   #62
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Great thread! How do y'all do multiple photos in the same post?

Ixnay: it doesn't look that bad, at least you have nice scenery. Of course, those are photos made in the summer - I think that winters would be sucky, sucky, sucky.

Xarxo: I like that overhead shot of Barcelona (L'Eixample?) - those are modern designs and constructions? Looks like something I'd do with SimCity.

Odd: You got any color shots of SP? Or is it a grimy, industrial hellhole?

Cairo: State College is where my wife was born! She laughed at your modest use of the word "large" to describe Pennsylvanian forests: I've been there and I think "oppressively huge" would be more apt.

Solver: Good shots! Looks like it can get cold though. How many people live there?

Godinex: Costa Rica, eh? I could get used to that. Probably a bit humid. What do y'all use for roofing to make the roofs all red?

Asher: That's one nice looking city!

ADG: I feel your pain.

Siro: Hiafra looks pretty nice! I like a city that has planners smart enough to keep the trees alive.

Anyway, I live in Knoxville, TN, population 300,000 (for the entire county). We have mountains to the north and east/southeast of us and this city has been here for about 200 years (making it a mere child to some of the ones on this thread). Our claim to fame is the 1982 World's Fair, the episode of the Simpson's where Bart, Milhouse, and one other take a road trip to Knoxville, and the University of Tennessee football and basketball teams. The center of town is Neyland Stadium, where 110,000 people congregate 6 Saturdays per year and worship at the feet of the almighty Vols.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knox3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	12915  
Old April 7, 2002, 11:23   #63
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Does your city have a penis right smack downtown?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	knox1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	12916  
Old April 7, 2002, 11:27   #64
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Neyland Stadium.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	knox4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	12917  
Old April 7, 2002, 11:33   #65
Colon™
Emperor

JohnT, you can only post multiple pictures by using vB code, but you won't be able to load them from your HD as with attachements.
Old April 7, 2002, 13:12   #66
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

"Does that give the city a somewhat European looks? (bit like Paris or Barcelone but more orderly and modern) High rise never has been very popular around here."

I don't know, since I've never been to Paris or Barcelona. From what little I've seen of Europe (Rome, Florence, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg, Prague, etc.), I wouldn't take any similarities too far.

One thing that is distinctive about "official" Washington versus its European cousins is that it is decidedly masculine. Big, neo-classical federal buildings line the National Mall. Most made of marble and white/light gray stone structures. Sight lines that are miles long. European cities are feminine to me, and masculine structures do not fit in. Consider the Vittorio Emanuelle II monument in Rome.

Maybe it is different in the Northern cities such as Berlin, Paris, London. But just looking at the pictures you've posted, Washington and Antwerp contrast on this point.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; April 7, 2002 at 13:19.
Old April 7, 2002, 13:44   #67
Cairo_East
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Colon

Does that give the city a somewhat European looks? (bit like Paris or Barcelone but more orderly and modern) High rise never has been very popular around here.
Colon, isn't that steel-frame building the oldest modern skyscraper in Europe? I visited Antwerp this time last year and I was really struck by its beauty and cosmopolitan nature. I couldn't walk five steps away from the Meir without running into a ethnic restaurant with great food.

Any place that smells like chocolate and has incredible beer has to rank highly on my list of favorite cities.

Quote:
Cairo: State College is where my wife was born! She laughed at your modest use of the word "large" to describe Pennsylvanian forests: I've been there and I think "oppressively huge" would be more apt.
It's amazing how fast the forests have grown around here. Most were clear-cut for the iron industry until the 1930's and they are now fully developed forest systems. Some of the oldest forests on the East Coast are located here, with certain properties home to 400-year old forests. It's so dark under the canopies that you feel like you're in Yosemite or the Olympic Mountains!
-"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" (Genesis 1974)
Old April 7, 2002, 13:54   #68
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 23:35
Damn, I want to travel Somebody, give me a large bag of cash
Old April 7, 2002, 14:14   #69
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Bah.

There are absolutely no pictures of Ashdod on the net. The best I could find is this.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	12938  
Old April 7, 2002, 14:54   #70
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Bah.

There are absolutely no pictures of Ashdod on the net. The best I could find is this.
Excellent
Old April 7, 2002, 15:21   #71
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Does your city have a penis right smack downtown?
Oh man, now I have penis envy!
Old April 7, 2002, 16:03   #72
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Bah.

Well do a Google image search. I can find plenty of pictures of Ashdod
Old April 7, 2002, 16:17   #73
Colon™
Emperor

Cairo, well it was the first building of this size to use a steel frame, so you could say it was the first modern skyscraper on the European continent but that’s a rather pretentious (people from Antwerp are like that ). The Eiffel Tower which, is almost 4 times as tall, is build 4 decades earlier, it just didn’t use a steel frame. The Empire State Building, which is 5 times as tall, is build just one year after it’s little brother in Antwerp was finished. So boasting about this is like the one-eyed pygmy boasting he’s taller than the blind pygmies. (sorry if that sounds convoluted )
It has never even been the tallest tower in Antwerp, the cathedral above is quite a bit taller and a couple of centuries older as well. But it’s just a nice building.

Thanks for the kind words about Antwerp, it’s very nice to hear that.

Dan, I was allduing at the shot you showed of 13-stories tall buildings, I think it could fit in several European cities. That might particularly be the case in Germany, in cities where the centre (including layout) was rebuild from zero after the war and you get similar results.
Old April 7, 2002, 16:34   #74
Colon™
Emperor

Dan, why don’t you take a look at pictures from Antwerp at these pages: (and ignore the odd skyscraper or neo-classical construction)

http://www.2747.com/2747/world/antwe...alei/index.htm
http://www.2747.com/2747/world/antwe...nweg/index.htm
http://www.2747.com/2747/world/antwe...klei/index.htm
Old April 7, 2002, 16:43   #75
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Bah.

I think that picture describes Ashdod very well.

oh , and together with our "suburbs" ( they aren't really suburbs. They're simply Haifa under local administration. ) we're more than 600,000.
Old April 7, 2002, 17:19   #76
Hueij
Emperor

Nice thread... Good to see where some of you live

Arnhem, The Netherlands... About 150,000 people, capital of the province of Gelderland. The town center was flattened during the (in)famous battle for the bridge and rebuild during the late 40's, 50's and 60's. And since everyone knows how they thought about esthetics during those years... But things are changing, after talking about it for the last 30 years finally they are trying to really rebuild the city center. Only thing is that I probably won't see it finished, it's a 30 year plan

Well, here's that bridge (not the same one tho, Andy's grandfather blew up the original in 1945 )
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pic_foto5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	12948  
Old April 7, 2002, 17:26   #77
Provost Harrison
Deity

Yeah, Hull took a lot of bombing during the war, but the best buildings seem to have been preserved and the rebuilding in the city centre was mainly in the 50s and was done fairly tastefully, so we don't have too many 60s monstrosities compared to other cities, but still more than enough. I mean if you want to see that concrete architecture, look at Birmingham. That city is truly ugly.
Old April 7, 2002, 17:34   #78
Hueij
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Yeah, Hull took a lot of bombing during the war, but the best buildings seem to have been preserved and the rebuilding in the city centre was mainly in the 50s and was done fairly tastefully, so we don't have too many 60s monstrosities compared to other cities, but still more than enough. I mean if you want to see that concrete architecture, look at Birmingham. That city is truly ugly.
I was in Hull during a trip to the Lake District in 1977. We spent a night on the university campus there. Can't remember much of it tho, must be the huge beer glasses you people use

Here's the building that was used as a high school when I was still a brilliant kid with high ideals, in 73-75... After that it was some fancy art gallery and now it's a fancy restaurant
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	002011.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	12950  
Old April 7, 2002, 17:45   #79
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hueij

I was in Hull during a trip to the Lake District in 1977. We spent a night on the university campus there. Can't remember much of it tho, must be the huge beer glasses you people use
Hehe, I was born in Hull in 1977 Yeah, to be fair, the city used to look an absolute dump back then from pictures I have seen, but like most British cities, has undergone major redevelopment in the past 10 years or so.
Old April 7, 2002, 18:07   #80
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Ashdod, Israel

More pics of Ashdod there than of Cottbus
Old April 8, 2002, 00:26   #81
DanS
Deity

Colon: I definitely see what you mean. If you made the Antwerp streets that you pictured wider and removed the trees, you would have a spitting image of K Street here in DC. Even down to the service streets on the side.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old April 8, 2002, 00:26   #82
DanS
Deity

DP
Old April 8, 2002, 01:16   #83
devilmunchkin
Warlord

Local Time: 22:35
this is waco, just east of downtown facing Baylor University. Ugly huh?!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	waco_0001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	12977  
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old April 9, 2002, 07:25   #84
Colon™
Emperor

Dan,
”Colon: I definitely see what you mean. If you made the Antwerp streets that you pictured wider and removed the trees, you would have a spitting image of K Street here in DC. Even down to the service streets on the side.”

Antwerp has several of those avenues, set with sycamore trees. (I live on one myself) Despite the traffic, I find them very pleasant to walk in, particularly in the summer. In several avenues the trees in blossom, creating a green ceiling punctured by rays of sunlight, combined with the buildings functioning as walls give the feeling you’re inside a huge hall.

Last edited by Colon™; April 9, 2002 at 07:36.
Old April 9, 2002, 07:56   #85
Provost Harrison
Deity

Looks a dive dm
Old April 9, 2002, 09:28   #86
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
It's scary how close some of you guys live to me....

Since Toronto (where my heart is at home) has been covered and I don't want to remind myself that I live in King Township, York Region (pointless urban sprawl that should be burnt down and redesigned from scratch), I'll find some pictures of Felixstowe, the quaint English town where I will be living from late August onwards.

Here we have a night view of the Felixstowe Port, Britain's largest container port and Europe's fourth busiest port. The port itself is owned by a Hong-Kong based company, which led to this explanation of what would happen if the Chinese decided to gain a foothold in the UK by nationalizing the port.... "If there are any Reds under the Hutchison [the Hong Kong company] bed, which is unlikely, it would take a policeman on a bicycle armed with an appropriate Court Order to take any of its English ports back into national control."

Here's a pic showing the town centre at the height of summer. Hides any embarrasing elements (like the locals) rather well, doesn't it?

That's really all the nice pictures I could find. No pictures of the (one) club or of historic sites or of anything remotely interesting. Because there really isn't anything.

I am so going to be spending a lot of time outside Felixstowe.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old April 9, 2002, 20:12   #87
Seneca
King

Local Time: 22:35
I did a thread like this recently, but it only got half the replies. And just for that, I'm not going to post any pictures.