Old March 9, 2001, 04:40   #1
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Translations and patches: bad marriage
Living outside USA, one of my trouble is to often have available only translated version of software (i.e. italian version).

Don't get me wrong, is nice to have a game in my language, but usually it become a nightmare every time a patch is needed (and we all know is needed, soon or later, often more than one ).

I was lucky with SMAC, because I found and bought USA version, but every time Firaxis released a SMAC patch, the owner of translated versions had to wait about a month before the related patch become available.

That's very bad, because the game life span is quite limited (CIV 2 hard core players not counted here ), and features like multiplay often doesn't works if games have different "engine release".

That's silly, because game code must (but sadly don't) be separated from user interface and messages text.

I know that when new features are included their related text must be translated, but I think that the effort will be greatly reduced (and I can live with some english word here and there, while waiting for proper version available).

Text "embedded" with game variables in another added complexity (and I remember Firaxis mentioned it about SMAC), but I worked in software development and I can assure it can be solved, too, just because I did it myself.

I hope Firaxis is developing code keeping it separated from text, so they will be able to release a single patch working for every country.

As an added bonus, a "do it yourself" translation tool should be available to let player self correct minor translation glitch (but editable text file will be OK, if praticable).

If Firaxis worry to give this control right to customers (e.g. it raise trouble with local software distributors), it can publish a web page tool where every player can suggest fast translation of terms added by patches new features. After a week of fans input they can compile and build translated patch, almost simultaneous to USA version.

Anyone agree/disagree?

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old March 9, 2001, 05:08   #2
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:48
I certainly do agree. I am currently living in Germany, but I definitely want to have an English version of the game. This is partially for the reasons you describe, but mostly because my English is much better than my German.
Old March 9, 2001, 11:12   #3
bagdar
Warlord

Local Time: 02:48
For about a year, I've been playing Civ2 in French. I'm sure there are many civers out there who learned a great number of useful words from the game. That's a great method to help improve your vocabulary! Please no problems with other language versions, because I'll be playing Civ III also in -my then much improved - French.
Old March 9, 2001, 12:53   #4
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 20:48
Local Date: October 30, 2010
My wife is Taiwanese, but speaks English fluently.
However, I shudder to imagine the nightmare of translating CIV games into the Asian Languages!

------------------
My reach exceeds my grasp!