Old April 5, 2002, 20:22   #1
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trigger for warweariness
I declared war on Egypt, but did not strike a blow.

Cleo's Knight captured one of my workers, inside of my territory.

If I attack now, am I subject to warweariness?

R
Old April 5, 2002, 20:26   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you will always be subject to war weariness if you're at war with someone. it sometimes takes a little while to set in, and if you're the agressor (you said you declared war) it's worse than if someone declared war on you.
Old April 5, 2002, 21:16   #3
rpodos
Warlord

I'm not sure that's right.

I do think it has to do with who strikes first. Also, if you do it right, you get a happiness BOOST for a couple of turns.

I did this in my Roman game... intruded into Egyptian territory, refused to exit, and declared war.

I did NOT initiate combat. Cleo took a worker and attacked one of my cities.

Next turn, I razed 2 cities, and generally committed mayhem.

Next turn, 3 cities went WLTKD, and most of my cities are all smiley faces.

R
Old April 6, 2002, 00:05   #4
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by rpodos
I'm not sure that's right.

I do think it has to do with who strikes first. Also, if you do it right, you get a happiness BOOST for a couple of turns.

I did this in my Roman game... intruded into Egyptian territory, refused to exit, and declared war.

I did NOT initiate combat. Cleo took a worker and attacked one of my cities.

Next turn, I razed 2 cities, and generally committed mayhem.

Next turn, 3 cities went WLTKD, and most of my cities are all smiley faces.

R
This may seem like a dumb question, but si your government republic or democracy?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 6, 2002, 00:34   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

communism has no war weariness, and i think monarchy / despotism is realitively low
Old April 6, 2002, 03:20   #6
PerpetualNewbie
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:37
I see the same thing, rpodos. I seem to get a few turns of WKT*Ds pretty much all around when someone declares war, and then another round when I slay the first invader in my land. Weariness doesn't seem to kick in for quite a while after that, even if I am stomping all over someone else's turf. Unless, however, the stompee happens to have been dragged into it through a MPP. Purely anecdotal, but I think most of my war weariness has come from wars against a secondary opponent...

Tuberski, I generally switch to Republic and leave it. Does it make a difference in a Republic who is the aggressor? Moreso than in Democracy, I mean?

rpodos, I don't know the answer to your question. I generally kill an invader, and then I am fine. A few games back the Zulus sneak attacked my worker, and I got a round of WLT*Ds, then by the time I was getting guys moved into position a few turns later, noticed that weariness had already set in. Maybe taking too long to exact vengeance gets you in trouble with the people...
Old April 6, 2002, 14:58   #7
rpodos
Warlord

Tuberski, I ma in Monarchy... I know that therefore WW will not be a big issue in this particular game, but I am interested in its mechanics.

PN, interesting point about citizens' expectations. I think I did read somewhere that a factor in WW is how long invaders are in your territory.

Anybody out there have a complete understanding of how this works??

R
Old April 7, 2002, 16:26   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
Quote:
Originally posted by rpodos
Anybody out there have a complete understanding of how this works??
I posted a couple of threads on this forum trying to gather info on this quite recently; you should be able to find them easily. There weren't that many replies though.