Old April 5, 2002, 23:09   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 17:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ministry of City Planning Report - 200 AD
My Fellow Citizens -

Immediately upon assuming the duties as your Minister of City Planning, I organized teams of highly-trained investigators to report to me the condition of our cities. Each city had one team responsible for its evaluation.

Earlier today, the reports from these teams were received and compiled by my staff into a master report which was then sent (after my revisions and approval) to President Shade for his consideration. While I cannot present the whole of the Report to you (for reasons of State Security), I wish to take this opportunity to apprise you of the essential findings, so that we may all be aware of the hard work ahead of us. I expect that President Shade will disseminate the information to the other Ministers as he sees fit.

I regret to advise you all that the Report revealed serious problems within our cities. We have some problems to overcome, but I firmly believe that we have made a valuable start in correcting those problems. And let me state right up front that these problems developed slowly as the previous leaders responded to the emergencies of their times. Do not blame them; many of these problems were inevitable as our Civilization grew and met the challenges of yesterday.

Still, the difficulties uncovered by my staff must be resolved swiftly if we are to create a solid base from which to launch our future projects.

Allow me to summarize the findings in the Report...

We have cities that produce only 1 or 2 shields for new construction!

We have cities which are only prevented from revolt by Martial Law, and only then with some potential Workers forced into Entertainer duties!

We found dedicated Workers toiling away in production of resources not needed for current project demands!

In short, my fellow citizens, our cities are not currently able to support the demands placed on them by the citizenry and the other Ministers. Drastic reforms and reassignments are in order, and my Report to the President will, I hope, result in many improvements.

The progress of our Civ depends on the triad of Workers, Military, and Capitalism. No Civ can succeed in the long-run otherwise.

The primary problem we face is Unhappiness. It is preventing Workers from being fully productive, it is reducing our Shield production, and it slows important scientific research.

So, the first priority is to construct Mike's. To achieve that goal, I have recommended that *all* Caravans (we need 8) be dedicated to the completion of that Wonder. Our cities will collapse into stagnation without it; some are nearly there already. Our President should, given his experience and political skill, be able to acquire the technology and resources for that achievement very quickly.

Upon completion of Mike's, numerous Entertainers will return to productive work, enabling them to participate in the rapid creation of several Diplomats for assignment by the Foreign Minister, Caravans for the Trade Minister, and several Settlers will be available to establish new cities at locations identified by our Minister of Imperial Expansion. One city will prepare for the next Wonder, and other cities will commence work on Libraries and Marketplaces which will be the foundation for further advancement.

And we must not forget Citadel, our strategic outpost against the Romans. Their military actions are not my province, but if they can but hold out a little while, several Phalanxes should be soon free of Martial Law duties in the cities and be be available for its support.

In conclusion, my fellow citizens, "a happy Civ is a flexible Civ". The elimination of Unhappiness will solve our most pressing problems and allow us to more easily assign our resources where they are most needed!

Thank you for your attention and for your support in these difficult times.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 5, 2002, 23:55   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:38
Considering how many turns we are from monotheism, I suggest we still deliver the spice and silk caravans that are already en route to their destinations. They will boost research and gold. In the meantime, I concur that all other caravans should go to building the great Cathedral of Mike.

Happiness will free up bad guys! Instead of quelling naysayers within our borders, we can bully the neighbors instead.

Citadel looks to be in a bind - build barracks to heal quickly, or build walls to prevent that need? If the Romans attack, a barbarian could retake the city and about 6 roman units for cheap - provided we have the gold available.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 6, 2002, 00:23   #3
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 13:38
I agree wholeheartadly (almost) with the Minister of City Planning. My problem with his recomendations lies in his urgent desire to use all caravans for the construction of a "great chapel." While unhappiness is a great problem among our citizens, it is not the only problem. Therefore, I agree with the Marquis, that the caravans not in demand by anyone be used for building materials, while the other caravans be sent to far away places to provide us with money.

As for Citadel, I think that walls are the order of the day. They will provide a more long-term benefit, and will (hopefully) prevent the need for immeadiate healing of our units.

Steele
Old April 6, 2002, 04:43   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
<< cavebear leaves auditorium to rapturous applause >>

Nicely spoken! You can be sure of a high approval rating at this point in your term.

I must say I agree with MdS and steelehc - the two high-end caravans we have should go to the Trade Advisor for shipment to our unwashed neighbours, and the beads (is it beads?) plus any others we form from now should be stockpiled for the Wonders.

City Walls for Citadel sounds fine, but I think a decent defense (at least 2 Phalanx) should be our first priority. Else our walls will be without guards to attend them!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 6, 2002, 04:49   #5
shade
King

Local Time: 23:38
We still have to go quite a way before we get to monotheisme therefor I would even suggest using the 3 caravans we have boarded now for trade(I think there are 4 or 5 others beeing build at the moment so they will be able to backup the building of mikes),because for each gold they give they also give 1 science beaker.(so if we need 400 beakers and get 300(from3) instead of 200(from2) from those caravans I think it's worth it.
I already recieved 3 reports...
*City planning
*Military
*Expansion

Still awaiting
*Foreign
*trade
*science

Shade
Old April 6, 2002, 05:11   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by shade
for each gold they give they also give 1 science beaker.(so if we need 400 beakers and get 300(from3) instead of 200(from2) from those caravans I think it's worth it.
Good thinking, shade. As ever I bow to your leadership.

Quote:
I already recieved 3 reports...
*City planning
*Military
*Expansion

Still awaiting
*Foreign
*trade
*science

Shade
Those lazy advisors. Time to get the punishment whip out!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 6, 2002, 05:13   #7
shade
King

they still have 50 minutes
then It will be whipping time

Shade
Old April 6, 2002, 10:06   #8
cavebear
Emperor

Hmm.. Perhaps your Minister of City Planning has become enfeebled in his old age, but I don't quite understand why people think we are such a long ways from Monotheism. Here is the how I see it arriving swiftly:

We have an Embassy with the Indians and they have Polytheism. We are only 2 research turns from Polytheism. When you gain the tech you are researching through trading or a hut, you keep your research beakers and pick another tech. Since we have Philosophy, we should be offerred Monotheism.

1. Trade for Polytheism with the Indians
2. Choose Monotheism as new tech
3. Complete Monotheism in 2 plus a couple more turns (increased beaker requirement for additional tech)

Now, for Mike's:

1. Forget Nova Hispania, let it keep going for the *next* Wonder (those few shields won't help us with Mike's much
2. Switch Apolytonia (after completing current Caravan) to any Wonder (convert to Mike's when we get Mono)
3. We can get Caravans to Apolytonia much faster than to Nova Hispania

That's Mike's in 6 turns! Did I miss something?

If we have to build more new Caravans to complete Mike's, it will take a minimum of 10 turns, more likely 12 (some uncertainty in that).

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old April 6, 2002, 11:15   #9
shade
King

Quote:
1. Trade for Polytheism with the Indians
2. Choose Monotheism as new tech
3. Complete Monotheism in 2 plus a couple more turns (increased beaker requirement for additional tech)
thats theory based upon 2 things we can not be sure of
1) will the indians want to trade with us(took a look no they won't)
2) will we get the option for mono...that reamains to bee seen.

(got your message it's added I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE 3 LAST REPORTS...Luyckilly I will only play tomorow morning=> and no reports = **** happens)

Shade
Old April 6, 2002, 13:23   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
thats theory based upon 2 things we can not be sure of
1) will the indians want to trade with us(took a look no they won't)
2) will we get the option for mono...that reamains to bee seen.

(got your message it's added I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE 3 LAST REPORTS...Luyckilly I will only play tomorow morning=> and no reports = **** happens)
Shade
I agree it is based on some assumptions, but they are ones that you can test before you take any game action, so my idea was based on that. I dared not test that myself, as I think that would be "playing the game".

That's annoying about the Indians not wanting to trade. I suppose it is because they are "hostile" though at peace with us. It might be worth seeing if you can improve their opinion of us with some minor bauble of a gift.

As far as the opportunity to research Mono, I looked at some old games I saved, and I found one where it did offer that right after getting Poly. I couldn't find any other games where I had that exact point in time saved.

If we can't do the fast route, then I agree that we have to do it the hard way and the high-value Caravans should go for trade overseas.