Old April 7, 2002, 18:50   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Elements of Civ2 I Want Back
even though Fiaxis ignores me and blocked all my threads, i'm going to rant about things i believe should be brought back.
[list=1][*]Top 5 Cities List[*]Wonders of the World List[*]Intelligence Screen (shows all techs a civ has, their cities, etc w/o going into diplomacy)[*]A Casuality List[*]the ability to turn off the throne room (palace)[*]diplomats and spies (i understand that this just wont happen, but i rant)[*]farmland (improved irrigation)[*]limited terraforming (plains to grasslands, grasslands to plains, no mountain tearing)[*]selling improvments that actually give you a decent sum of gold[*]multiplayer[/list=1]

anyone else?
Old April 7, 2002, 19:04   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:42
1) Press F11
2) Press F7
Old April 7, 2002, 19:07   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Elements of Civ2 I Want Back
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX [list=1][*]Top 5 Cities List
try F11 (i think)
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]Wonders of the World List
try F7
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]Intelligence Screen (shows all techs a civ has, their cities, etc w/o going into diplomacy)[*]A Casuality List
definately would be nice to know the death count
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]the ability to turn off the throne room (palace)
I think that if you ignore this a few times, it will stop asking. I think it was 3 times.
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]diplomats and spies (i understand that this just wont happen, but i rant)[*]farmland (improved irrigation)
I think adding railroads achieves the same effect as farming in civ2, I could be horribly wrong on that though.
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]limited terraforming (plains to grasslands, grasslands to plains, no mountain tearing)[*]selling improvments that actually give you a decent sum of gold
Agree, plains to grassland yes. mountains to grassland, no
Agree that selling a barracks that takes 20 turns to build should net more than 5 gold.
Quote:
[SIZE=1][*]multiplayer
as has been said before, this will be added by expansion, which exactly what happened for civ2

I think I would like to have a worker upgrade that moves two spaces, like the engineer.

edited for space considerations
Old April 7, 2002, 19:23   #4
Mr. Blaze
Settler

hmm..
1 and 2 are in there..

and for everything else I 100% agree..
Old April 7, 2002, 20:11   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I think adding railroads achieves the same effect as farming in civ2, I could be horribly wrong on that though.
You are correct, building railroads on irrigated land gives even more food.
Old April 7, 2002, 21:19   #6
Akron
Prince

How about tax collectors and science people who are actually useful, so that there is a point in having a size 35 city as opposed to a size 20 city optimized for production.
Old April 7, 2002, 21:23   #7
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
How about tax collectors and science people who are actually useful, so that there is a point in having a size 35 city as opposed to a size 20 city optimized for production.
You can at least change that with the Editor.
Old April 7, 2002, 23:42   #8
Pyrodrew
Prince

Local Time: 14:42
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus You can at least change that with the Editor.
That's #11... a complete & unbuggy editor that you can make scenarios with (including setting Civ starting positions).
Old April 8, 2002, 00:53   #9
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
That's #11... a complete & unbuggy editor that you can make scenarios with (including setting Civ starting positions).
I know that the Editor is far from perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be used. Some people here seem to have this conviction that they must not use the editor because it can't do everything they want.
Old April 8, 2002, 00:59   #10
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:42
They are probably thinking that because they are the kind of peolpe to do things half-way, like me. i don't want to come up with this great idea, then have it not work because the friggen software won't let it, so I just ignore the editor and ply the game. Sam with the multiplayer, I'm not even going to think about that until I know that we are getting multiplayer. I agree with everything else that has been siad though. I think that Firaxis screwed up pretty bad on this one, don't you???
Old April 8, 2002, 01:06   #11
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

For the most part I agree, but I don't like Civ2's spies as actual units. Abstraction a la Civ3 is better, but the way they did it in Civ3 leaves much to be desired. More spies should equal more success... right?

Terraforming is also something I don't think would work with Civ3. Because global warming works on such a small, gradual scale, and workers are so plentiful and easy to come by, the ability to terraform grassland and plains seems like it would translate into a really easy way to negate global warming. In Civ3, the damage is permanent (as it should be).
Old April 8, 2002, 01:29   #12
Bobby Dread
Settler

#12 - food convoys! These were handy for two reasons.
1) many cities produce an odd number of food, so you have a population that grows, starves then grows again. WIht convoys, you could send the extra food from one city to another city and stablize them both.
2) "Bread Basket" strategy. This reflects real-life. NYC does NOT grow all the food the consume. Using food convoys, you can have a few food producing cities help support production cities.