Old April 9, 2002, 00:43   #1
hawaiihs
Settler

Local Time: 14:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
v 1.17f my ships keep sinking! :(
I have version 1.17f and I just built the Lighthouse wonder... but all my ships- even caravels are still sinking if it is more than 4-5 spaces from a coastline.

any help? How can I explore?

hawaiihs
Old April 9, 2002, 00:52   #2
PerpetualNewbie
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:46
You can't safely end the turn in an ocean tile. Lighthouse lets you travel safely in sea tiles, not ocean tiles. Of course, caravels travel safely in sea tiles too, so your lighthouse is a little redundant.

FWIW, caravels have a 50% chance of sinking every turn they end on an ocean tile.
Old April 9, 2002, 02:39   #3
Ethelred
King

You weren't supposed to be able to do that before. It was a bug. Now it works like the Civalopedia says.

Sure was a usefull bug though.
Old April 9, 2002, 18:30   #4
hawaiihs
Settler

ok... it was a bug before that allowed my trireme and caravels to cross ocean squares-

and now that I upgraded to the 1.17f- I can't do that anymore?

S!@& I was going to settle another continent...

ok.
thanks
Old April 9, 2002, 19:25   #5
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 17:46
The AI allows its galleys to travel anywhere BEFORE navigation and magnetism, and without the Lighthouse. If the AI can cheat all the time (and it does) feel free to Edit your own galleys. If you don't, there will be nothing left to explore by the time you get to caravels.
Old April 9, 2002, 20:38   #6
Ethelred
King

I have seen the AI galleys sink. I have also gone to the ocean myself with success. It dangerous and I lose ships just like the AI but a success is worth it. If you are the only one with contact between two large groups of civs you can make a bundle.

I don't think they send the galleys out till they have explored all they can safely. I watched them doing that in one game while I was taking risks on the ocean. The Greeks had the Light House and they had a galley mapping the sea but it never entered the ocean.

I am pretty sure they did actually what you are saying before the 1.16f patch. I haven't seen any sign of it since.

Coracle have you EVER patched your game. Most of your complaints are either obsolete or signs you just don't know how to play the game. Not all though, you do have an occasional legitamate complaint.
Old April 10, 2002, 02:04   #7
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
The AI allows its galleys to travel anywhere BEFORE navigation and magnetism, and without the Lighthouse. If the AI can cheat all the time (and it does) feel free to Edit your own galleys. If you don't, there will be nothing left to explore by the time you get to caravels.
One word: bullsh*t.