Old March 14, 2001, 04:06   #1
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Real turns
It would be nice with an option, or even a total layout, where you give all orders simultaneously, and then all orders are processed "at once". Ie, in multiplay I give all my units orders to move etc, but they do not move just yet. All other human players (and ais) do the same thing. Then all orders are processed.

Say: Units with more than one move move in order highest first, everyone moves a step at a time. (So a move 13 unit, a move 12 unit and a move 10 unit would do this: The move 13 unit takes a step. The move 13 and the two move 12 units take a simultaneous step, and repeat. All four units now walk simultaneously.) Before move 1 is executed cities build. (Or after, but before adds a dimension of planning.) Somewhere income is generated, tiles improved, research completed etc etc.

This is what I mean with turn based. The Civ system is more like a heavily chopped up real time game. More Diplomacy like settings would suit me just fine.
Old March 15, 2001, 14:18   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Turns works like that in Imperialism too.
Old March 16, 2001, 01:19   #3
Mark_Everson

Local Time: 20:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hi Lord Maxwell:

I agree this would be fun, and adding a little uncertainty to warfare would help out the completely lame AI too. It would also make absurdly precise things like moving along enemy rails to far-off cities to conquer them very difficult. But it would Completely change the game of civ, and its not likely to happen IMO.

We are using a system very like the one you describe in Clash of Civilizations. It uses action points instead of movement points to regulate the movement staging. You can see it in limited action in our demo 4. If you want to check out demo 4, go to our web page at: http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/ and follow the link at left for demo 4 under downloads. Demo 4 is now kind of out of date... Demo 5 will be out soon but not for a week or two, but you will be able to run it over the web, unlike demo4.

We will know better how our system works after a few more months of playtesting. Comments on this aspect, or our other design elements are always welcome on our forum at Apolyton.

-Mark
Old March 16, 2001, 07:02   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Lord Maxwell, you can see the very same simultaneous turns concept looking for... guess what? Simultaneous turns posted by me.

It lost the poll about "Essential Civ 3" a year ago, but it would be a GREAT game enhancement IMO, and almost a fundamental needs for a pratical CIV III Internet multiplay.

Not very likely to happens from Firaxis design team, I'm afraid, but I'm still ready to buy any decent TBS game that will use this turn model.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old March 20, 2001, 12:11   #5
Adm.Naismith
King

Henrik, did you played Imperialism?

If yes, did you liked that kind of simultaneous turn rules? (BTW I didn't played Imperialism).

How about using that method on Civ III?

I like to ear a bit more details about your opinion, your post is so short!

Mark Everson, I really must take a better look at "Clash"! I promise you

------------------
Old March 20, 2001, 15:49   #6
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Ah, sorry what I meant to say was that turns worked "simultaneous" in Imperialism, they dont quite work as you wrote, sorry.
In imperialsim you give orders to your troups when it is your turn, and the computer/human oppponents do the same at the same time, then battles (in a tactical screen) is resolved. This works well in Imperialism I/II but that is becouse the map is built up in provinces and it doesn't work like that in Civ.
Your Idea seems interesting though.
Old March 20, 2001, 18:12   #7
Adm.Naismith
King

Thanks to explain that, and for your interest in Simultaneous concept

------------------
Old March 23, 2001, 07:18   #8
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
Sorry, just browsed the titles and figured "Simultaneous turns" meant the same thing as it did in SMAC. (Ie turning the game into some form of pseudo-turn based game.)

I didn't mean to barge in on someone elses ideas.

(Edited to actually include the apology.)
[This message has been edited by Lord Maxwell (edited March 23, 2001).]
Old March 23, 2001, 17:54   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Why on hell are you sorry? I'm here to share and debate ideas, not to copyright them.

If someone like same game features than me... great!

If someone has another point of view... well, I can always learn something new or ejoy a bit of fight

------------------
Old March 24, 2001, 01:01   #10
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Simultaneous turns like Imperialism is necessary for CIV to be multiplayer and still playable.

Trade should also be a little like Imperialism (free market)