Old April 9, 2002, 14:22   #1
badassb
Settler

Local Time: 22:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
rivers
Perhaps a stupid question. But why are rivers so uselless in CivIII. I remember that in Civ II the movement rate of units was increased when you moved alongside the river. Why did the remove that?

Another thing. Why not make it impossible to cross rivers without a road ( bridge) over it? ( or perhaps just for wheeled or mounted units). This would give rivers more strategic importance. Rivers could be used as natural borders or as a way to keep the a.i. out of your territory. And bridges would be valuable assets in an empire.

Oh yes and the civ that discovers a river ( and perhaps also a chain of moutains) should be able to name it. ( seen that in a game called "conquest of the new world")

This shouldn't be to hard to implement, would it?
Old April 9, 2002, 15:33   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 18:47
Re: rivers
Quote:
Originally posted by badassb
Perhaps a stupid question. But why are rivers so uselless in CivIII. I remember that in Civ II the movement rate of units was increased when you moved alongside the river. Why did the remove that?
Rivers are placed in between spaces in Civ III, unlike in Civ II, where they ran inside the spaces themselves. The boost given to commerce and food because of rivers can be invaluable if you know how to use it in conjunction with roads, etc.
Quote:
Another thing. Why not make it impossible to cross rivers without a road ( bridge) over it? ( or perhaps just for wheeled or mounted units). This would give rivers more strategic importance. Rivers could be used as natural borders or as a way to keep the a.i. out of your territory. And bridges would be valuable assets in an empire.
On some larger or custom maps (Aanar's Europe), rivers can be found EVERYWHERE. Inhibiting the movement of those units with so many rivers could really disrupt the flow of battle in the game.
Quote:
Oh yes and the civ that discovers a river ( and perhaps also a chain of moutains) should be able to name it. ( seen that in a game called "conquest of the new world")

This shouldn't be to hard to implement, would it?
Fool! Of course it would be!
Old April 9, 2002, 15:57   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
rivers have a defensive bonus, if the attacker comes from ACROSS the river.

if u have a road on a river, you don't get the 1/3 movement bonus until you get engineering.
Old April 9, 2002, 17:54   #4
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:47
The ability to grow above 6 without aqueducts is very useful.
Old April 9, 2002, 18:05   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh yea, how could i forget that one.
Old April 9, 2002, 18:10   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:47
Also no irrigating from seawater early on in civ3. Plains are much more useable if you have a nearby river.
Old April 9, 2002, 18:38   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

or an inland sea