Old April 9, 2002, 23:03   #1
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stupid question.....but
I was just wondering on something which I have yet to see.. does the AI ever use nuclear weapons against the human player or other AI civs?

I mean the AI should! I just want a reason to unleash total nuclear hell upon the world should someone be foolish enough to launch against me.

Another thing which I would like to be added if they could work it out, I believe in the release version of Civ3 - there was the M.A.D Feature for ICBM's? I know it didn't work properly, think they'll ever get it fixed?

Chaing
Old April 9, 2002, 23:27   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:48
Personally, I have yet to see nukes used in a game (by me or the AI).
Old April 9, 2002, 23:27   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 17:48
the AI has only nuked me AFTER i have used nukes.
Old April 9, 2002, 23:58   #4
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 14:48
Re: Stupid question.....but
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaingKaiShek
I was just wondering on something which I have yet to see.. does the AI ever use nuclear weapons against the human player or other AI civs?

Yes. I got nuked. First.

I was besieging Paris and I guess the French decided they might as well use their only nuke. Fortunatly it was a tac nuke and only hit a city I took from the French. Unfortuntaly I had a lot of tanks hanging around the city. Emphasis on HAD.

Thats the only nuke I have seen used in at least a dozen games. I don't like them. I am under the impression AI isn't fond of them either but they do build a few. I suspect that if I started throwing the things I would get them back.

When I get in a late war knocking out the unranium is one of my highest priorities even if the other civ doesn't have fission yet.
Old April 10, 2002, 00:03   #5
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 18:48
You might be in more danger of getting nuked if you haven't developed them yet...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old April 10, 2002, 00:09   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I've seen the AI start nuking each other. ver 1.07

If you nuke first, everybody will likely nuke you back. Based on experiments with 1.07

Current game with 1.17. Manhatten was 30+ turns ago. I have 10 ICBMs. None of the 3 large AIs left have built any. BTW, I didn't build Manhatten. I was at war for 20 turns with the civ who did. Never got nuked.
Old April 10, 2002, 00:26   #7
Spock
Chieftain

I was playing after winning the space race...just to see all the content of the game, I had built a few nukes, but hadn't used them. Around year 2100, the 3 remaining civs begin nuking the hell out of me and each other, it got to the point where it was impossible to continue...global warming and pollution were uncontrolable and untolerable.

Nuclear war is not a logical option.
Old April 10, 2002, 04:56   #8
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 23:48
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
the AI has only nuked me AFTER i have used nukes.
Exactly the same. I tried an ICBM (just to see how it works) on Germans in my last game and received one some turns later. I answered with an other ICBM and got another one and... I won by space race.
Old April 10, 2002, 06:39   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i was plaing on a huge map once, and me and the germans were pretty huge, and they a slight tech lead on me (damn deity cheats).

anyway, when i got my first ICBM, i hit berlin, just to see what happened.

next turn i ate 12 ICBMs, 2 on Athens and the rest scattered all over.
Old April 10, 2002, 12:09   #10
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Eh well I've tested the Nuclear attack thing a bit and finally found out that the AI will use nukes to attack if they are attacked first but they dont seem to like to nuke the player first. Maybe it's because I always had them first (And I tend to keep a large nuclear arsenal.. you know, to keep people from nuking me )

Anyway I built up a fairly good sized nuclear force and struck the English whom were *far* Away. So each of their cities got a lovely ICBM landed in their backyards and sure enough, no response except to have the two other civs on *MY* island declare war upon me.. no big deal really.

About 20 turns later I noticed an' english sub sneaking past my naval fleet and sure enough the attacked Rome in return for an' attack which happened turns ago. Ah well. Lucky they didn't have a huge stockpile like myself.

One more stupid question, I've not seen the AI threaten you when they have nuclear weapons. They did this in Civ1 and maybe 2.. You know, something along the lines of.. "I'd like to advise you that Germany is now a NUCLEAR POWER." Always thought that was funny, and more reasons to march my troops over and smack the hell out them!

Chaing
Old April 10, 2002, 12:34   #11
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I was playing after winning the space race...just to see all the content of the game, I had built a few nukes, but hadn't used them. Around year 2100, the 3 remaining civs begin nuking the hell out of me and each other, it got to the point where it was impossible to continue...global warming and pollution were uncontrolable and untolerable.

Nuclear war is not a logical option.

I hate nukes, both in game concept (remember how nuclear wars end up in an unplayable, unattractive game) as in real life.

Therefore I'll never build Manhattan Project. Sometimes another civ gets the idea of building it. I'll definitely attempt to destroy the producing city (buying time bombing up all city improvements to cripple productivity) and invade and raze afterwards.

In civ3 I've never seen a nuke

AJ
Old April 10, 2002, 22:02   #12
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
anyway, when i got my first ICBM, i hit berlin, just to see what happened.

next turn i ate 12 ICBMs, 2 on Athens and the rest scattered all over.
Ever heard of the term M.A.D.? I think Civ3 follows that rule, since I don't see the AI using nukes unless I use them... on any level.
Old April 11, 2002, 05:07   #13
ChaingKaiShek
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

Ever heard of the term M.A.D.? I think Civ3 follows that rule, since I don't see the AI using nukes unless I use them... on any level.

No No No, We aren't talking "Terms" here. We are talking about the feature which was included in the release build of the game which you could lock ICBM's onto enemy cities - in the event they would attack you (Nuclear or conventual I think.) The ICBM's would be sent off to their targets. Works great for when you had a small standing army, but a bunch of ICBMs laying around.

Chaing
Old April 11, 2002, 05:15   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I don't believe that the feature you are talking about ever existed in any publically available version of the game.

I doubt it for versions internal to Firaxis also. What you are describing just wouldn't work for civ3. I send Nuc1 at CivB. They reply with all their nukes before I can launch Nuc2... Doesn't sound so good.

BTW. MAD is in as far as I can tell, after a fashion. I have not seen a nuke destroyed by a nuke. That would mean that you can respond in your turn. They launch all theirs, you launch all yours. Hence MAD. I could be wrong.
Old April 11, 2002, 11:23   #15
Flanker
Warlord

notyoueither, I think you´re right. That was discussed in another thread. Maybe no bombard unit can get destroyed by a nuke? I don´t know.

About getting into nuclear war and that it really cripples the game - sure it does, I mean, in that way it is very realistic! So I don´t complain about it at all. However, I think the nuking animation really boring, just a little "poof". It was much better in Civ II, when you actually could hear the air strike alarm before the explosion. Not to talk about SMAC:s planet busters - that is what I call a bomb!
Old April 11, 2002, 11:31   #16
Cookie Monster
King

I've lost count of how many games I've played but in all of them Nuclear war broke out only once. That was because I started it and was the only civ with the tech or the resources to wage nuclear war. The animation is cool but have never seen it happen to me.
Old April 11, 2002, 15:08   #17
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

i think nukes are somewhat underpowered; maybe nuking cities would just wipe them out (raze them) 100% of the time, but capitals and cities with wonders would have maybe a 50% chance? maybe lower?
Old April 11, 2002, 15:09   #18
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

also, keeping nukes out of the game altogether is just too easy; let the civ whos building it complete it, then just wipe that city out; it cant be rebuilt by anyone
Old April 11, 2002, 16:21   #19
watorrey
Warlord

I had one memorable game (don't remember version) where Egypt demanded uranium from me and i refused. She sent in stacks and stacks of tanks and armor toward one of my cities. I decimated her troops and while most of my armor was healing in that city, she nuked it and several other cities.

All the other civs immediately declared war on Egypt. I nuked Thebes just to see what it did, then noticed that the other civs didn't have any nukes left. So i traded for maps and saw that Egypt was basically a wasteland... lol

One of my cities that got nuked still had a lone ICBM standing in it. Looked kinda strange.