Old March 24, 2001, 02:51   #1
fatboy76
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do we have to whine to get an update?
I was just wondering. Seems like that usually does the trick. Maybe its time to start whining again? Here it goes:

"MAN. Its been almost a month and there has been no updates. Whats the deal firaxis. Some people want to know what all is going on. Give us an update!!!!.............They must have canceled it."

Fell free to join in.

[This message has been edited by fatboy76 (edited March 24, 2001).]
Old March 24, 2001, 04:55   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
In the newest Interview with Sid there is a hint about the site being updated soon
Old March 24, 2001, 08:09   #3
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 10:50
I hereby echo fatboy76's opinions

Old March 24, 2001, 17:48   #4
wittlich

Patience, patience...IMO, Firaxis is working as fast as they can. As a rule of tumb, just expect an update once every two months

Old March 24, 2001, 20:08   #5
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 20:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I am an avid civ fan..I play CTP:1 & CTP:2..all the while eagerly awaiting CIV III!!!

But I remember people drooling for more info..release date..speed up hurry up ship/recieve dates..ect. ect. ect.
I think we should be patient..while QUANTITY...is nice QUALITY is better...I believe I just quantified the reason for no updates..although th UK game review speaks volumes that Mr.Sid Meier is patient and reserved to a professional point..no news until its fact..no yarns, spinning of rumors..hints of "soon-to-be-completed" projects....he is only speaking on that which is finished and working..In my opinion Super!

I would rather wait, clean the drool off my keyboard then to be spittin,fumin mad at a leak of lies!!

Keep on waiting and soon a new update will be there!

Yours in Civin

Troll

------------------
Hebrews 11:1

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for and things unseen
Old March 25, 2001, 00:43   #6
fatboy76
Chieftain

I will wait for the game as long as it takes. And I dont really need to see chapters if info being released at a time. May just a unit or two or a leaders face. Or maybe dare I say.....A SCREEN SHOT! I really dont like webmasters who think they have to have something profound in order to update there site. Haveing maintained a website before I know how unhard it is to post a picture.
Old March 26, 2001, 16:07   #7
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 19:50
quote:

Originally posted by fatboy76 on 03-24-2001 11:43 PM
I will wait for the game as long as it takes. And I dont really need to see chapters if info being released at a time. May just a unit or two or a leaders face. Or maybe dare I say.....A SCREEN SHOT! I really dont like webmasters who think they have to have something profound in order to update there site. Haveing maintained a website before I know how unhard it is to post a picture.

As I've stated numerous times, screenshots will only be posted when we feel the game is ready. Right now, we're not. That's really all there is to it.

You can another batch of "ask the Civ team" letters in a couple of days. The whole crew just got back from GDC and we have some catching up to do.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old March 26, 2001, 16:47   #8
Roman
King

Excellent, Dan!

People - leave Firaxis alone. They have updated the site three weeks ago. Last time it took them six weeks to update it, so they are doing much better now. Anyway, I don't expect to see any screenshots until E3, which is where Civ3 will probably get its first "full" presentation.
Old March 26, 2001, 19:28   #9
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Yay! Now I have even more to look forward to... The future looks bright, but the walk there might be long and hard....
Old March 26, 2001, 19:33   #10
fatboy76
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 03-26-2001 03:07 PM
As I've stated numerous times, screenshots will only be posted when we feel the game is ready. Right now, we're not. That's really all there is to it.

Well....ok. But I talked about other things besides screen shots. I knew that it was unliky. Out of curiousity why cant you post a screen shot of what you have now and have a little text IN THE PICTURE (that way noone can boot it easy and call it the real thing) that calls it a test shot or temp shoot or eirly build shot or something like that?

Old March 26, 2001, 19:56   #11
GaryGuanine
Warlord

You know, what Firaxis should do is set up a position at the company where I just watch them design the game, and disseminate information to the loyal fans in cyberspace. It would solve everyone's problems.

Gary

Old March 27, 2001, 02:36   #12
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by fatboy76 on 03-26-2001 06:33 PM
Well....ok. But I talked about other things besides screen shots. I knew that it was unliky. Out of curiousity why cant you post a screen shot of what you have now and have a little text IN THE PICTURE (that way noone can boot it easy and call it the real thing) that calls it a test shot or temp shoot or eirly build shot or something like that?

The other things you mentioned, leader heads and units, are both available from our website. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

The decision to post or not post screenshots is often a factor of several different things. One very big factor, for example, has to do with gaming magazines who may want exclusive content for stories. Another has to do with the fact that the game may not look ready for public consumption, etc. Another reason is that the publisher likes to weigh in on these kinds of decisions and ensure that information being released aligns with their (and our) strategy for marketing the game.

In short, while it takes me all of thirty seconds to post a screenshot, a lot more goes into deciding when, where, and what is shown. This is why I can't just throw a screenshot up whenever someone asks me to.

I think the horse is down and begging for mercy. I'm going to stop flogging it now. As soon as there are screenshots, you guys will know.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

[This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old March 27, 2001, 02:55   #13
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
Take all the time you need to get it right.Anticipation is half the fun....
Old March 27, 2001, 09:32   #14
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:50
quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 03-27-2001 01:55 AM
Take all the time you need to get it right.Anticipation is half the fun....

Hope you're right becouse I will have to wait a lot longer than most people for this game (and so will you if I'm not mistaken ) The mac port isn't likely to be available untill atleast 6 months after the release if the game
Old March 27, 2001, 09:37   #15
jglidewell
Warlord

Even a 'not yet please' is a good response.

Did anyone notice that civ II did not have the seashore tiles did not cycle the waves like civI????

I liked that in civ I.
Old March 27, 2001, 11:38   #16
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:50
Leave Firaxis alone already! They are doing the best they can for us.

Firaxis: great stuff so far. I am sooo looking forward to civ3!

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old March 27, 2001, 14:39   #17
fatboy76
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 03-27-2001 01:36 AM
The other things you mentioned, leader heads and units, are both available from our website. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

[This message has been edited by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS (edited March 27, 2001).]

I was talking about more heads and units.

Does it really sound like im "picking" on anybody? I was just asking questions. I for one would like to probe alittle then just take it up the butt, so to speak. I didn't know answering a question was a big drag an caused people such pain I guess.
Old March 28, 2001, 01:03   #18
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

This message is for Dan at Firaxis.

I appreciate the difficulties you face in balancing public discontent over the demands of corporate policies and industry needs. To put it bluntly, I wouldn't be drawn into discussion regarding site updates, as most of us know perfectly well why you can't post information at this time. I don't believe it is something that you or Firaxis as a whole has to justify in anyway.

Although certain comments and player feedback can, at times, strike a nerve, please keep in mind that the vast majority of Firaxis fans are very grateful that we will someday be granted the opportunity and the priviledge of playing Civilization III, and we thank you all for your hard work and dedication to the genre. We are very fortunate that your company has decided to take on this project, and I look forward in sharing the delight in what will undoubtably be a quality product.