Old April 10, 2002, 17:52   #1
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SDC #4: Official Rules, Regs and Guide

SDC 4 ~ The Age of Sail

Official Rules of Scenario Design Contest Number Four

1.) All entries must be received before November 1st, 2002.
2.) Final results will be displayed on January 1st, 2002.
3.) All entries must include two zip files (if applicable); one containing the scenario files, the other containing sounds. If dialog graphics or videos are also part of the scenario, these may be included in a third and/or fourth zip file as applicable.
4.) All entries must be e-mailed to the SDC. An e-mail listing a URL where the scenario may be downloaded from is NOT acceptable.
5.) All entrants must obtain a code name before submitting their scenario (see code names below).
6.) The e-mail for SDC #4 is arcticor@aol.com (submissions must be sent to this address)
7.) Zip files must not be larger than 1.5 megabytes in size.
8.) All scenarios must reside within the SDC #4 theme; the Age of Sail, between the years 1500 Anno Domini and 1801 Anno Domini.
9.) Maps and resources provided by Scenario League are NOT required for use by designers. These are supplementary items only intended to help designers as an aid. All designers are free to use their own designs.
10.) The scenario MUST be designed on the MGE (Multi-Player Gold) or ToT (Test of Time) Civ2 platform.
11.) The scenario must be designed for PBEM (Play By E-Mail) in mind. This does not rule out single player scenarios (see objectives explanation below).
12.) Multiple submissions per designer are allowed.
13.) Maximum team size per entry is 3 persons.
14.) Teams may NOT submit more than one entry.
15.) Questions and comments about SDC #4 can be e-mailed to warvoid@aol.com

Code Names

Code names are used to confirm identities of scenario designers and to aid in the judging process of the scenario by masking the designers true identity and prevent any possibility of biased judgement.

To aquire a code name, simply e-mail the SDC administrator, WarVoid, at warvoid@aol.com . A response will be sent supplying a code name. Write this code name down and when you send the e-mail with you scenario submission attached, include the code name in the text area of the e-mail to confirm your identity.

The scenario will then be forwarded to the judges using the code name rather than the authors true identity.

Explanation of the Age of Sail and Design Objectives

The Age of Sail, roughly 1500 AD thru 1801 AD, covered the time span from the first beginnings of global naval warfare and piracy up to the Napoleonic Wars, which effectively was the first "world" war. During this time, the world saw the most violent colonial wars that would ever occur. At the same time, vast changes occured across the world; piracy became commonsport, colonial levies became the norm, massive armies dominated vast empires not seen since the days of the Mongol and Roman empires. At the same time, man was bounding forward technologically with the development of the musket and cannon and their subsequent refinement.

Never again would the world see such great wars, such pioneering bravery and such suspense as was held during the Age of Sail. This era combined both legendary intrigue and military revolution as tactics and amphibious warfare became a finely tuned art. The fortress was developed and all around the world massive stone castles were erected and armed with cannon turrets, even to defend the smallest colonial outpost.

It is this setting in which you, the designer, may choose a campaign in which to build your scenario around. To help you understand what is expected of you and your entry, i've prepared some guidelines, like the introduction above.

-PBEM vs SP ~ Some people have asked me, why PBEM instead of single-player? Well the answer is this. PBEM is a relatively new concept to Civ gaming. It has not only brought life back into the scenario community, but it has opened a whole new field of multiplayer gaming. Therefore, to present a new and true challenge to designers, scenarios should be designed for PBEM instead of the normal single player. The administration realizes that scenarios are naturally intended for the single player, and that to create a PBEM scenario requires a lot of work. With that in mind, we WILL be accepting single-player scenarios. You will NOT be penalised for submitting a single-player work. Judging is based on the OVERALL PLAYABILITY of the scenario, not whether it is strictly PBEM of SP.

-Original Artwork ~ A scenario is often judged by it's originality, especially in the sense of artwork. When a judge, or rather, anybody opens the scenario, it is always the graphics which make the first and most striking impression. Unmodified and heavily recycled graphics are not always a designers best choice. Even simple modifications to units from other scenarios can make a scenario much better.

-Accuracy and Authenticity ~ As the SDC's namesake suggests, the theme this year is based upon a historical and realistic background. As such, a designer should strive to make sure his/her scenario is accurate to the setting they are attempting to portray. If you have a question, ask around in the forums, there are always plenty of people with a lot of knowledge willing to lend a helping hand.

Each designer and/or team should strive to do the best work possible. Do not be intimidated by other "veteran" designers. We have seen many instances where an unknown has come forward from out of nowhere with an excellent scenario.

In-Depth Explanation of a Basic Scenario's Requirements

To help newer designers, and even some old forgetful ones alike this is a general compendium of what your scenario should include. Of course, as with any designer, this list may be either lengthened or shortened as per each scenarios specific criteria. The list provided here includes some of the "must haves".

-Defined Objectives ~ Objectives for the scenario and a wingame/losegame status declared. This can be through use of either the standard city objective scoring, through an alternate point system, or even the standard empire-building score. So long as the scenario objective is defined, almost any for of scoring is allowed.

-Pedia.txt ~ More often than not, almost always one of the things forgotten in a scenario. The pedia.txt file should ALWAYS be included, even if it is unedited from the original version. For those wishing to add depth, descriptions for wonders and improvements may be edited in to the pedia.txt file.

-Readme ~ Every scenario submitted should have some sort of a readme file with it detailing the scenarios background (general introduction), objectives, credits and other notes.

-Events ~ Every scenario, no matter how small, should have an events file with it. Even the simplest events file should load the music track of your choice and set certain scenario rules (i.e. schism, play wonders, etc.).

-City.txt ~ An optional item, but one that any veteran designer will quickly look for when viewing a new scenario. Considering the period of gameplay and typical civilizations that will be present, to have the Dutch founding cities like Nagasaki just isn't going to cut it.

-Labels.txt ~ Another optional item, even moreso that the city.txt file. Any designer looking to add further depth to their scenario may like to utilise the options found in the labels file. For instance, one might wish to use the Barbarian civ for the scenario as pirates, therefore changing the labels file information to rename the Barbarians to Pirates and their leader to someone like Henry Morgan or Edward Teach would be an appropriate step.

-Rules.txt ~ If you don't know why you should include this then you REALLY need to find a design tutor.

Questions and Comments

If you have a question of comment about anything relating to the SDC, don't hesitate to speak up about it. As the old saying goes, he who hesitates is lost.

For those that wish to view the original discussion about the contest, you may view it here.
Old April 10, 2002, 18:49   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sounds good

Can this thread be 'topped'?
Old April 10, 2002, 19:26   #3
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 00:50
Love the part about the rules.txt
Yep, good work And I also think this should be sticky.
Old April 10, 2002, 19:38   #4
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 14:50
Quote:
1.) All entries must be received before November 1st, 2002.
2.) Final results will be displayed on January 1st, 2002.
Old April 10, 2002, 19:57   #5
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 17:50
Its either Jan 1st, 2003, or time travel was added as an additional hurdle for scenario designers.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old April 10, 2002, 21:30   #6
winterfritz
Prince

Nice work Warvoid

How many people have joined up already?
Old April 10, 2002, 21:31   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
I know what you meant, Warvoid. This is excellent.
Old April 10, 2002, 21:32   #8
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:50
Time travel is no hurdle for ToT. Convert ye heathens! Convert!
Old April 11, 2002, 08:37   #9
kobayashi
Prince

The administration realizes that scenarios are naturally intended for the single player, and that to create a PBEM scenario requires a lot of work. With that in mind, we WILL be accepting single-player scenarios. You will NOT be penalised for submitting a single-player work. Judging is based on the OVERALL PLAYABILITY of the scenario, not whether it is strictly PBEM of SP.

It is not fair to allow single player scenarios. These are much easier to control and invariably play better. PBEM games cannot have AI agmentation events and the reaction and development of playable races cannot be controlled.

How can there be no penalty when the theme is PBEM? This is rediculous - nobody in their right mind will submit a PBEMable entry.

Last edited by kobayashi; April 11, 2002 at 09:08.
Old April 11, 2002, 09:31   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 18:50
Old April 11, 2002, 15:11   #11
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 17:50
If you desging the game to be PBEM, I'm sure the judges will play it that way. Duh.

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old April 11, 2002, 16:23   #12
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 23:50
i think that both options should be allowed
Old April 11, 2002, 19:24   #13
WarVoid
King

I have seven people registered so far. I'll be sending another advertising blurb to Thunderfall this weekend.

I've made it pretty obvious that we are looking for PBEM scenarios, not SP. I've already told a lot of people that they can submit either.

Saying that a SP will play better than a PBEM is untrue. I've seen some low profile scenarios take to top rankings in PBEM. In the end, it's all about the playability.

Oh, and yes, it's 2003, I made a boo boo.
Old April 11, 2002, 22:56   #14
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:50
Quote:
[SIZE=1]
I've made it pretty obvious that we are looking for PBEM scenarios, not SP. I've already told a lot of people that they can submit either.
I think this is pretty contradictory, WV. It ought to be one or the other. I guess I thought we (the community) had decided that the contest was for the best scenario designed with PBEM in mind.

Perhaps any scenario playable by two or more civs could qualify, with higher scores allocated to those well balanced between a number of civs?
Old April 12, 2002, 02:17   #15
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

WV, have you organised any prizes yet

(they better be good - it looks like I'm going to have to raid the Australian Defence Force Academy for books on my subject)
Old April 12, 2002, 09:11   #16
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WarVoid

Saying that a SP will play better than a PBEM is untrue. I've seen some low profile scenarios take to top rankings in PBEM. In the end, it's all about the playability.
Let me put it in terms everyone - even non-scenario authors can understand.

You have a Bus design contest and you suddenly say that you can design a Ferarri if you don't know how to design a bus. You're criteria is which one drives better. Everyone is going to design a Ferarri.

You can't make a Red Front playable in PBEM.

Many people like Red Front because it is challenging.

A single player scenario can have several sets of events, units, seasons etc.

You can't have all this fancy stuff in a PBEM.

If Nemo had to make it such that you could play as either Russians or Germans, it would have to be watered down considerably.

If single player entires are accepted, can they at least be judged under a seperate category?

Last edited by kobayashi; April 15, 2002 at 06:35.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:13   #17
Fiera
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

It ought to be one or the other. I guess I thought we (the community) had decided that the contest was for the best scenario designed with PBEM in mind.
I agree, we have enough SP scenarios already, but very few real PBEM.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:13   #18
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

I think this is pretty contradictory, WV. It ought to be one or the other. I guess I thought we (the community) had decided that the contest was for the best scenario designed with PBEM in mind.

Perhaps any scenario playable by two or more civs could qualify, with higher scores allocated to those well balanced between a number of civs?
I hope it will be at least three. Why? Because you will always need to have a minimum of 2 players to do a PBEM. So that means you wouldn't need to worry about a playable tribe being controlled by AI. (i.e. if you have three playable race, you will need to ensure that the AI will do a decent job with any of the races in case there are only two players. If its 2, then everyone would make an entry with only two playable tribes - same logic as the single player problem.

Last edited by kobayashi; April 12, 2002 at 09:19.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:25   #19
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 18:50
Kob, I feel like I need to punch you.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:36   #20
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DarthVeda
Kob, I feel like I need to punch you.
Old April 12, 2002, 17:18   #21
Patient English
Prince

It all sounds very intruiging - if a little unformed at the moment. WV, if you are going to reconsider the rules of the competition, might I try to persuade you to extend the closing period end to 1815?

I have a new scenario under development that plays quite nicely in PBEM.
Old April 15, 2002, 22:23   #22
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

You have a Bus design contest and you suddenly say that you can design a Ferarri if you don't know how to design a bus. You're criteria is which one drives better. Everyone is going to design a Ferarri.
Can we have an official reply?
Old April 21, 2002, 18:55   #23
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Just found this cool site with lots of pictures and information about the sailing ships of this period.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shir...ps/index2.html
Old April 22, 2002, 21:45   #24
WarVoid
King

The rules will stand as they are. I've made all the revisions i'm going to make, especially since they've already been distributed to numerous designers and sites.

Single player scenarios WILL BE ACCEPTED BUT WILL NOT RECEIVE AS GOOD A JUDGEMENT AS A PBEM SCENARIO. Comprende?

A Ferrari can't go four-wheeling, now can it? So just because you designed a Ferrari compared to an F-150 dosen't make it better.
Old April 23, 2002, 01:45   #25
Case
Emperor

WV, can you please 'top' this thread and start a new topped thread for discussions of the history of this period and for people to post links to useful resouces? (like the one Hardjoy just posted )
Old April 24, 2002, 05:10   #26
winterfritz
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
WV, can you please 'top' this thread and start a new topped thread for discussions of the history of this period and for people to post links to useful resouces? (like the one Hardjoy just posted )
Good idea And very good site, hardjoy
Old May 2, 2002, 07:23   #27
Patient English
Prince

OK, those rules (1500-1801) count me out. Colonies is not really a PBEM and is a bit long in the tooth anyway now.

Have a good contest anyway, guys....
Old May 6, 2002, 03:30   #28
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

SDC contributions...
... OK, I'm officially into tha thing. Stay tuned, guys!!!
Old May 6, 2002, 04:22   #29
winterfritz
Prince

Warvoid, are we allowed to get dls under our code names so we can ask for advice/help on our scens without giving ourselves away?
Old May 18, 2002, 21:43   #30
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:50
Can someone point me to the rules and the results for the previous 3 competitions?