Old April 11, 2002, 03:31   #1
Cyclonic
Settler

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Zones of control
I'm new to CTP2, having picked it up cheap to see how it compares to Civ3. I'm playing MedMod 2.1 and really enjoying it (great job, Wes, and all the contributors). I've made it to the future era for the first time, about 2100 now, going for the science victory. Although I'm close, I don't think I'm going to win it (which is reassuring, this being Impossible level and me a new player). I'll give Cradle a try next.

Anyway, here's the question. Naval units have a ZOC in CTP2, which seems to me a strange decision. Just how (and for that matter, why) would that friendly little Celtic boat impede the movement of my heavy task force? Even if it were an enemy, what is actually being modelled there? At this scale I'm dubious about ZOCs even on land, and I think Civ3 made one of it's better moves in getting rid of them. It feels more realistic, and combat manouevre is more fluid and interesting.

So, how can I get rid of ZOCs, at least for naval units, and possibly for all units? And even if I can, would it have an adverse effect on the AI?

Happy civving,

Cyclonic
Old April 11, 2002, 06:18   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, I think you have a point, I've been considering to remove ZOC from some units myself as well, or making some units able to ignore ZOC.

For the MedMod, I think only some ships (the heavy warships) have ZOC while others don't. But you'd have to ask Wes for what philosophy lies behind this.

Changing ZOC is easy. Simply open units.txt and add/remove the line NoZOC with those units that should/shouln't have ZOC and add/remove IgnoreZOC with those units that should/shouldn't be able to ignore ZOC.
Old April 11, 2002, 09:54   #3
Cyclonic
Settler

Local Time: 22:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks Locutus, that sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try. I'll remove ZOC for all naval units, and for most land units too. Fluid unit movement is a Good Thing, in my book. The only argument I can see against it is that this type of game never models supply at all (a serious omission - do the designers of these things think we can't handle it, or what?), so no ZOCs will tend to put more units into positions that would be untenable in reality. But since that happens plenty already I'd rather live with it; at least for all units earlier than mechanised.
Old April 11, 2002, 13:55   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Zones of control
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclonic
And even if I can, would it have an adverse effect on the AI?
I suppose it will increase the AI performance, maybe a little bit, but from my observation the parth finding system is OK at least better than in Civ2 so the AI should handle it without any problems. BTW that's the freedom that gives CTP2 us just to change some stuff if we don't like it.

-Martin