Old April 12, 2002, 03:12   #1
Roy H Smith
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 4 idea - more Civ attributes
We all know Militaristic, Expansionist, etc. How about new Civilization attributes?

Populous - Your first Settler unit only drains 1 Pop (all after the first 2 Pop as normal) and your cities can grow up to 7 normally, 13 or 14 with an Aquaduct.

Now imagine an Artist citizen to fit in with the Tax Collector, Entertainer, and Scientist. A city gains +1 Culture per Artist but cities are allowed Artists only after they have a Pop of 4 or more and only one Artist per 4 Pop for most civs.

Artistic - Your civilization can one Artist per 3 Pop and certain artistic pursuits (Museums, the Louver - that French thing, etc) are produced faster!

Now with 8 possibilities they can fit in 13 different civs!
Old April 12, 2002, 04:22   #2
kailhun
Warlord

Re: Civ 4 idea - more Civ attributes
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy H Smith
We all know Militaristic, Expansionist, etc. How about new Civilization attributes?

Populous - Your first Settler unit only drains 1 Pop (all after the first 2 Pop as normal) and your cities can grow up to 7 normally, 13 or 14 with an Aquaduct.
Wouldn't this give the populous civ an enormous advantage? Expansion in the beginning is the key to victory. If a civ can grow faster than the others, the large numbers compensate for it's per population disadvangtages such as less beakers, production or commerce.

Quote:
Now imagine an Artist citizen to fit in with the Tax Collector, Entertainer, and Scientist. A city gains +1 Culture per Artist but cities are allowed Artists only after they have a Pop of 4 or more and only one Artist per 4 Pop for most civs.

Artistic - Your civilization can one Artist per 3 Pop and certain artistic pursuits (Museums, the Louver - that French thing, etc) are produced faster!

Now with 8 possibilities they can fit in 13 different civs!
While I think more attributes might be interesting, I'm not sure about this artist idea. I really don't see much of an advantage. Especially as I don't really deal with the tax collector, entertainer or scientist. I leave that up to the governor. So it's not really part of the game for me.

Robert
Old April 12, 2002, 05:25   #3
Drug zBla
Settler

Local Time: 23:54
This artist idea is very interesting, i have to say. I allways boost my culture to the max so this would be ok, but i'm not sure about allowing artists afther city grows to 4. It's, i think too early in the game, maybe afther you discover free artistry?

Now, if you really want to improve the game, i think there should be more diplomatic options, not only in negotiations, but something more than ROP, MPP, more states your civ could be in, regarding the other civ, like protectorate, dominion...
Old April 12, 2002, 09:53   #4
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

There could be a diplomatic attribute. Diplomatic civs pay only half the price for embassies and spy missions. To make this attribute worthwhile all espionage needs to be better balanced, though.
(this idea is stolen from some other thread )