Old April 12, 2002, 15:09   #1
jonoverbey
Settler

Local Time: 17:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Never Trust a Greek Bearing ...
Never trust a Greek bearing ...

“That which was the mighty empire of Greece is no more,” proclaimed Caesar to his adoring subjects. “We have toppled their highest buildings, taken their people as slaves, and sown their fields with salt. This truly is a glorious day for Rome and for the world!” With a final wave, Caesar returned stepped off his balcony overlooking the forum and returned to his plush office. Its walls were still lined with military maps and memos from his generals, things that would have to be removed if Rome was to usher in an era of peace for the world's remaining civilizations. Greece had been Rome’s only obstacle in a steady rise to power that took thousands of years to realize. With their downfall, Caesar was ready to step forward as the leader of the world and perhaps become the head of this new “United Nations” that he had heard about. Caesar glanced down at his desk, searching for a pen with which to mark out all the strategy meetings that he had had planned for the week when he saw an inconspicuous manila folder. He opened it and saw detailed photographs of something that his scientists had named a “space craft” in the cover page of the folder. He read the cover page and the theories that his scientists had about “interstellar” travel. ‘Preposterous,’ Caesar thought to himself. He snorted in disbelief as he flipped through the pictures of what appeared to be a large flame shooting out of the center of Athens in the city’s last dying moments. ‘Just an explosion.’ Caesar threw the folder into the trash and left his office to celebrate his new power.

150 years later:

Caesar, sitting in the remnants of his once plush office, wept into his filthy hands. Only weeks before, a mysterious group of men had appeared to the south of his land. These men possessed machines far greater then those of Rome or any other power known to Earth. In a matter of weeks, they had torn down Rome’s mighty army and now the eternal city itself was ablaze. Soldiers garbed in strange armor appeared in Caesar’s doorway, armed with weapons that looked like ray guns from science fiction television that Caesar’s children watched. Or used to watch, as they were all dead, thought Caesar with a loud sob. The soldiers called his name, but he did not move or even seem to hear. Only one thing penetrated Caesar’s grief at the loss of his empire and of his family, a melodious song. As the soldiers took aim and pulled their triggers, sending torrents of photons at the husk of a man that had been the Earth’s most dynamic leader, Caesar heard not the high pitched wine of their guns, but “Long live Greece, may her flag wave eternally, Long live Alexander, may his reign go on and on.”

This wasn't based on any particular game, just a musing. Any comments?
Old April 12, 2002, 17:25   #2
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 17:55
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
I thought it was a bit short, but otherwise keep writing, cuz I'll keep readin
Old April 12, 2002, 17:43   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:55
not bad...but, um, strange, and, um short....

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 12, 2002, 21:59   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

just wondering
how is this like a civ game???

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 20, 2002, 23:21   #5
civman2000
Emperor

story contest bump