Old April 30, 2002, 23:35   #361
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 22:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pokeing my head out just letting people know that I am still alive. Though, I may have another post in terms of the Hammer of God campaign and the poltical wheelings and dealings going on.
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 00:34   #362
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 17:56
Mellian,

I stated I had 6 systems, including Spira under my control. Re-check my timeline in datalinks AND UCS thread. (soon to be on website)

Core Systems: Univeralis, Nova, and Zak

Other Systems: Eden, Solaris, Spira

University hasn't had any wars or disease epidemics since the Exodus. In addition, UCS effective recycling facilities recycle ALL waste material at 100% effectiveness thanks to Nano-technology. Besides, UCS has Hydroponic Farms, capable of double the output of standard farms thanks to several factors.

1. Controlled enviroments inside domed farms ensure no droughts, floods, pest infestations, and so forth occur.

2. Food being grown in domed farm complexes ensure productivity in any terrain except arctic and glaciers.

3. Food is able to be produced all-year around. No need for "planting seasons".

So this provides the UCS populace with ample food.

Disease is greatly reduced thanks to advances in medicine and genetics.

Therefore, 17 billion spread out through 6 systems is a reasonable amount. 3.5% population growth is comparable to modern China or India.

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 00:44   #363
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:56
my estimates on Hive population are 100 million billion

Nah, I don't know but if you have any idea's, I'm open to 'em.

I know for a fact that we will have the largest population out of everyone. But Mell does bring up a good point on disease and natural disasters. Gonna think about numbers for a while....

Ok, I know how much now...Hive population is googooplex (1 followed by 100 zero's)

"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 07:18   #364
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
Before i go on with the number crunching of population levels.... you may of had a million people on Chiron when your faction moves off Chiron, but doesn't mean the entire population will want to go, or be able to go...even if forced too. Then, there is the case of the dangers of colonization, and during travel... hey, Unity got nailed by meteor don't you know and barely survived
You can bet all the Spartan went As for ships getting lost and whatnot, well thats why you have some independent planets out there. But yeah I took into account that some of the people would have been lost.

Quote:
then there is the factors of Mindworm problems, Prometheus Disease, wars, and so on. Also the confines of bases and lack of oxygen.... so population growth on Chiron was slow, even with Longivity treatments available.
Most of the Chiron factions have been off Chiron for over 300 years. And while I agree that there will be some diseases that plague people, I think that some advancement in 300 years could be expected to deal with them.

Quote:
Earth my guess would be 30 billion.... lots of urbanizations and mega cities at many places, with large skyscrapers... Luna about 500 to 1000 million.... Mars 10 Billion... Venus about 500 million... Saturn, Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune areas about 2-3 billion. Asteroid belt is around 100 to 300 million, Mercury a million or so. Pluto as 10 to 50 million people... Dark Planet would nearing a billion or less... Wolf and Ross would both have a few billions each... Capella about 100 million in total (distant and military oriented), but lost to the Morganites So a lot of people.... and about 50 billion in Sol alone.

lets see
Sparta-6 billion
University-14 billion
PK- (rough guess) 10 billion same as Mars
Believer-(rough guess) 5 billion (maybe low)
Drone-(rough guess) 8 billion (just a guess)
Hive-tough to say. large pop for sure especially with alien pops. 14 billion maybe.
Morgan-with all their planets, 5 billion. May be difficult to keep up comfort level
Gaian-(rough guess) 5 billion

Chiron totals come to be around 70 billion total. Thats spread across at least 30-40 star systems.

Sovereign- I do think your population is a little large. I know you would have all those things you mentioned but I think most states would be interested in keeping their populations in check. You should have more than Sparta i'm sure. Maybe just less or the same as the PKs. But 14 billion is a little large. Im wary of any of the Chiron factions except maybe the Hive having over 11 billion.

Low end population scale
Believers
Spartans
Morgans
Gaians
University, PK
Protectorate, Hive
Terrans
High end of the population scale.

All of these are just my gustamations at about 5am in the morning
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 09:46   #365
Mellian
Queen

Sprayber - Gaians have bigger population then the Morganites, Drones and Morganites? they have atleast three systems, and naturally have low pop rate due to ideology. Pirates would be like under a billion spread out all over.... same with the Data Angels. Cyborgs would have a billion or two as well, generally spread out as well....as they don't have any fix system they control...except for Lalande (not really control, just playing guardian).

Sovereign - I remember three systems... and the stats in Datalinks and so on could easily be updated and changed.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 09:56   #366
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Sprayber - Gaians have bigger population then the Morganites, Drones and Morganites? they have atleast three systems, and naturally have low pop rate due to ideology. Pirates would be like under a billion spread out all over.... same with the Data Angels. Cyborgs would have a billion or two as well, generally spread out as well....as they don't have any fix system they control...except for Lalande (not really control, just playing guardian).

Sovereign - I remember three systems... and the stats in Datalinks and so on could easily be updated and changed.

-Mellian
I guess your right about the Gaians. I think Alynzia stated the populations somewhere. But yeah I agree they would be smaller.

What about this?

Low end population scale
Pirates/Data Angels
Cyborgs
Gaians
Believers
Spartans
Morgans/Drones
University, PK
Protectorate, Hive
Terrans
High end of the population scale.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Last edited by Sprayber; May 1, 2002 at 10:05.
Old May 1, 2002, 10:12   #367
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Eh, haven't got that much to say yet, to firstly, Mellian's figure of 30 billion people on Earth sounds good to me. Earth has, like said, overcrowding problems... there are things like arcologies, though, then there are the oceans for use. So 30 billion sounds appropriate.
Old May 1, 2002, 11:11   #368
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 16:56
Big numbers = Big taxes!!

OK to Morgan!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 12:04   #369
Mellian
Queen

Sovereign - read the post where Randius is thinking up ideas..... Quantum Laser is pretty much a Laser powered by Quantum Power. like Fusion Laser is a laser boosted by Fusion power and normal laser powered by Fission.

-LMP
Old May 1, 2002, 21:23   #370
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

I gave my reasoning and calculations on population levels.

5 "native" systems, and 1 "member" system, for a total of 6 systems.

Univeralis Prime (U.P.), Nova Secundis (N.S.), and Zak Memoria (Z.M.) has the most concentration of population, at around 7 billion althogether.

Total populations (through the entire system, all megapolises, small cities on rural planets, space stations, etc.)

U.P. = 4 billion

N.S. = 3.5 billion

Z.M. = 2 billion

Eden = 3.5 billion

Spira = 2.25 billion

Solaris = 1.75 billion

University has settled U.P., N.S., and Z.M systems for almost 300 years now, and that would give plenty of time to expand and have population growth. There aren't mind-worms, giant disease epidemics, war, and so forth in UCS territory, so a lot of Chironian dangers doesn't exist for the UCS.

The new systems were settled for approximately 80 years.

Spira grew for millennia's independent of UCS. Then at the time it joined the UCS, it had about 1.6 billion people. Then the medicine technology UCS brought to Spira helped its population become healthy and prosperous. So it increased by a 2% or so rate annually for 25 years up to 2701. So Spira would have 2.25 billion, somewhere around that figure.

The UCS is experiencing a stable 3.5% population growth in most territories, due to abundant food, advanced medicine, multiple planets still 75% unexplored or "untamed wilderness". In general, the UCS population density would be approximately similiar to Africa or Russia.

--------------------------------------------------

Sol itself has 50 billion in a single solar system.

All the University territories are "rural" and "sparsely populated" compared to Sol itself. To achieve Sol population density, the UCS would have to have 300 billion people in total, in all its 6 solar systems, but that population level won't be reached until perhaps 2900 or 3000 AD, if the 3.5% population growth rate continues. (200 - 300 more years from current time period in BAC).

-------------------------------------------------

I think a reasonable figure would be approximately:

Sol having 50 billion is ok by me.

1. 25 billion (probably 20% of it alien species) for the Hive. Hive probably has 10 solar systems minimum.

2. Protectorate has 19 billion, the majority of it in Beta Hydri (17 billion). However, Protectorate has only 3 systems under its control.

3. 17 billion for UCS with 6 systems, and PK with 5 or 6 systems.

4. Drones have say, 10 billion

5. Sparta 7 billion

6. Morgan 5 billion

7. And the rest at 2 billion or less.

---------------------------------------------------

Basically, University has a reasonable amount of people spread out through 6 systems, while Protectorate and Terra pile up its population to extreme high levels in a SINGLE system.

-------------------------------------------------

Okay, that population debate aside, about Quantum Lasers, I've been trying to think up of how exactly it will work. I mean, sure its powered by a quantum reactor, but there are unique characterstics for each weapon.

Fission lasers are probably similiar to our real life daily lasers, put to military applications.

Fusion lasers are more powerful, with more energy output, as well as fusion of elements at the impact area due to high tempatures from the energy.

So, Quantum is the act of splitting light for energy, as well as using the potential of the quantum states of the atom. Therefore, lasers capable of splitting light would be able to split light on the target, creating a web of explosions. The nature of the quantum weaponary will be such that the turrets are anti-light cloaked, to prevent the turret and the ship itself from being split with light hitting the ship. Hiding behind moons wouldn't help, since light from distant stars is hitting the ship.

Basically Quantum lasers would be harnessing light itself to damage objects at the quantum level.

So it would be similiar to what Randius said, splitting ships with an axe at the speed of light. Remember, the UCS hasn't tested quantum lasers yet, so Randius was merely speculating and speculations can be proven wrong.

------------------------------------------------

Mellian, I'm almost done designing my website, and it will have the official UCS "canon" and information, where it cannot be altered by thread moderators, DanQ or MarkG, and would be too consuming for me to change every little detail every week.

So once the website is up, you can consider the correct information about the UCS as permament and unchanging, unless new worlds are colonized, new species are discovered, new leaders emerge, etc. But the "old" and "established" information will stay secure.

Hope all these answers has answered your questions Sprayber, Mellian, and everyone else.

Laters,

Old May 1, 2002, 21:39   #371
Sprayber
Emperor

http://www.geocities.com/kessel74/Ci...?1020310148620

I added a new bio about the Cyan Solo character on my page. It might be good for Sovereign and Silence to go over it and make sure that nothing goes against your timeline. The character was heavly involved in the FTL wars against the University. She will be making an appearance In BAC soon.

Sovereign, I looked at the pop figures. I'm still uncomfortable with the University having potentially more population then the Hive. Right now though, I am tire of looking at the screen. I look forward to looking at your site.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:44   #372
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Uh, I don't think the Hive will be second-best in terms of population. Right now I see us as either on par w/the Terrans, or just having a little less. Of course quality is near the bottom.

I'll see what you ppl have to say about Hive pop before I go shooting my mouth off.

BTW, right now I'm working on my psychology webpage so I might be done w/that class soon enough.

I'll be back later to check up on you guys.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:04   #373
Sovereign
Prince

Sprayber,

I'll try to assuage your discomfort bro.

Lets say for the sake of arguement, Sol is at its maximum population limit of 50 billion in a single system.

University has 6 systems, so its "max" would be 300 billion.

Hive has an excess of 10 systems, I believe, and that would mean the Hive has the potential for a "max" population of anywhere between 500 billion and 1 trillion.

That would make Hive nearly have double or triple the University's population capacity.

UCS "max" = 300 billion

Hive "max" = 500 billion, possible 1 trillion or excess

Therefore, UCS will never exceed Hive potential population densities or population figures.

However, the Protectorate has 17 billion in a single star system, approximately the ENTIRE UCS population spread over 6 systems in ONE system!. The Protectorate holds 3 systems, half the UCS size, yet has slightly more population than UCS itself.

Again, the "max limit" is assuming that if all the systems in BAC had the same population density or level as Sol itself.

Besides, UCS has 17 billion, Drones 10, Sparta 7, Morgan 5, and rest are 2 or less. So, Sol will still have more than these factions combined, not counting the Hive and Protectorate.

Hope this helps Sprayber.

Laters,

Old May 1, 2002, 22:37   #374
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

I'm wondering whatever happened to the UNS Unity?

In the original SMAC, the Unity kept orbiting Alpha Centauri, devoid of energy and life, as a relic.

However, in Aliens Crossfire expansion, the Unity crashed on the planet and became known as The Unity Wreckage.

But I need clarification about this in the BAC Universe. In this universe, did the Unity orbit Alpha Centauri and left to be a relic?

Or did it crash land? I don't see ANY reference to it crash-landing in any BAC timelines.

Or was it hauled to a historical museum somewhere?

Or did the University OR Morganites install FTL engines in the Unity and used the Unity as its first FTL ship test?

I think this should be clarified. I noticed this because I've been browsing thru the other timelines, and noticed the "absence" of Unity after arrival at "Chiron".

Laters,

Old May 2, 2002, 07:57   #375
Mellian
Queen

Since we are using Proginators, obviously Unity crashed land into Chiron.

Anyway, as for population........

5 native systems? and all aliens friendily joined UCS without any hostility? like really I would think the horn lions would cause some trouble before joining.... pretty interesting that they are all humanoids and some of them look pretty close to humans.

also, if some are discovered in their "middle age" and "renaissance" (each species i would think would develop differently, not follow human evolution script), then how the heck they got billion or so to start out with? back in our middle age and renaissance, we have like 50 or less million people in the world.

as for diseases and natural threats.... Sovereign, for every new environment a humans lands on, there will be some strange natural diseases or some other natural threat.... doesn't have to be Chiron or Earth kind of threats. Hey, when Europeans landed in North America, Africa and other places, they contracted some of the local diseases... while dropping off their own diseases on the Natives in africa, the portuguese at first thought they were dealing with Voodoo magic or something
Then there is natural threats, which will create its own dangers. It is quite silly that everything went perfectly well for colonization and the species easilly bowed down to University. odd enough for the minor races density in your corner of space too.... and I am talking about early on in the colonial expansion, where UCS weren't as advance as they are now.

another note, can cram a lot of people in one system doesn't always have to be planetary or moon bound colonies you know.

Protectorate had longer time on their planet, and didn't face as many problems as the Chironians did, or was too factioned up.

-Mellian
Old May 2, 2002, 09:39   #376
Sovereign
Prince

Mellian,

You bring up several valid points.

Grab a cup of coffee, some snacks, and a nice pillow. Prepare yourselves for a lengthy post, providing valid reasons to back up my choices for UCS, as well as counters to Mellian's points.

First, I stated that one species did at first resist the UCS for a while. They are called the Guado.

Besides, I'm basing the Guado and Al-Bhed on a possible evolutionary tree. I mean, people in real life have wondered if the Nearthendrals were still alive today. Then we would have TWO human races at the same time.

However, Spira has similiar climate as Earth, with Ice Ages, jungles, deserts, forests, etc. A strange kind of scaled primate, a cross between orangutan and a lizard, evolved on that planet. Then the primate divided into two sub-species. The Spira world had several creatures that developed PSI, similiar to Mind Worms on Chiron.

One sub-species evolved defenses and PSI combat, to compete with the PSI creatures on the contient of origin. That eventually becomes the Guado species.

The other sub-species emigrated to another contienent during an Ice Age, where PSI creatures didn't exist. These non-PSI primates initially had difficulty foraging for food, so they had to use sticks or rocks to break open nuts. Chimpanzees are known to do this in real life Earth Then they eventually evolved into the Al-Bhed.

Mellian, you're assuming that these peoples are like humans in reproduction with 1 - 3 kids per married couple. The Ronso has several cubs at a birthing, like our tigers and cat species. And the Ronso is able to do it several times, creating prides of 20 Ronso over a lifetime. The Ronso by 2675 AD had approximately 750 million, thanks to their large Prides and Tribes. They were initially afraid of the UCS like the Guado, but realized that in the long run, UCS would be a huge benefactor. Thats called "common sense". However, they reject most technology as frivolous, yet enjoy access to other worlds and other systems to spread their Tribes and Prides. They're expansionist and tribal by nature.

The Al-Bhed were an technologically advanced civilization, comparable to WW2 era, but without nuclear bombs or spaceflight. Their civilization was ravaged, and had to rebuild their civilization. They had a population of 300 million globally at around 1700 AD, just before the Catastrophe. Then their population declined to around 50 million. The Al-Bhed reached a population of 400 million after 1,000 years, by the time UCS found them. They became extremely excited when UCS arrived, due to the fact that an superior technologically star spanning civilization existed. The Al-Bhed love technology and machinery, and saw the chance to surpass their ancient Pre-Catastrophe civilization level of sophiscation.

The Guado had similiar situations to the Al-Bhed, but due to their isolationist policies their population growth was sigificantly slower. There were approximately 350 million Guado by 2675.

In all, Spira had 1.5 billion by 2675. Then millions of UCS citizens MOVED to Spira, lured by the promise of beautiful locales, friendly locals, etc. That, in addition to UCS technology improving standards of life for the 3 alien civilizations, made Spira increase to 2.25 billion by 2701.

5 native systems... what I meant by that is in the context of Native Americans claiming to be native to America, when they actually emigrated. The UCS claimed 5 uninhabited systems over a period of almost 300 years.

Sparta has 6 systems, Morgans had 7, I think, before the TAF war, and Hive has like 10+.

Ever heard of Murphy's Law? A species with sufficiently advanced level of technology would seem to be magical or mythical to a less advanced species. The wider the technological advanced the species is, the more "godly" they will seem to the low tech species. Take for example, year 2002 technology being demostrated to Ancient Romans? They'd think we were the Olympic Gods.

This is true of ANY planet-bound civilization. This is mainly why the Spira civilizations were awed by the UCS, enough to join and be loyal to it.

Humans and Fraal, Progenitors, Bree, Gorn, etc... well, they all have some standard technologies. FTL travel, being enclosed in spaceships, energy generation, etc. Humans know that Fraal aren't gods despite their advanced technology, because they share several common characterstics, and would be comparable to 18th century technology civilization to a 21st century civilization.

In the 18th century, we had rifles and stuff. They haven't changed even up to 2002. Sure, we made them more effective, and soon perhaps laser ones. But the concept is still the same.

But if Babylon or Phoenicians saw rifles, they wouldn't even understand it, or even the concept of it. This proves Murphy's Law to be true.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now onwards to disease and stuff. UCS always screen the planets for potential disease organisms. Remember medicine has advanced a lot in 700 years. Hell, they have Longveity Treatments! That level of medical sophisication enables UCS to screen for disease causing organisms, and send probes to gather the bacteria or viruses, and use vaccine technology to immunize the colonists.

Don't tell me that isn't possible. If that isn't possible, then Longveity Treatments aren't possible either, since Longveity Treatments require a hell a lot higher medical technology than simple bacteria / virus vaccinations.

And if a new disease or virus crops up, UCS makes an immediate response. Quaratines the area, and finds the responible disease. With the level of technology that affords Longveity Vaccines, curing diseases is easy.

Another case in point, the Human Genome Project in SMAC, available to PK's in 2100 AD / MY... prevents Prometheus Epidemics. Surely, genetic engineering creates powerful T-cells to eliminate disease. In addition, gene engineering can be used to increase immune system effectiveness. Hell, they're doing it to PLANTS on farms in our real life world.

So diseases are a relatively minor, if existent, problem unless its nanological, which is doubtful unless we're waging some sort of Nano-Biological warfare?

-----------------------------------------------------

Natural Disasters. We have hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, etc. Right?

Sure, we lose some infrastructure, due to weakness in material. Most residential houses are made out of wood, which is easy to destroy in natural disasters.

Have you even seen a tornado or hurricane topple skycrapers?

Japan and California are implementing better and better "quake-resistant" or "quake-proof" buildings that roll as the quake occurs, preventing major damage.

University is talented with technology and its applications to engineering. So surely, by 2700, we'd have better material. Silksteel or Ceramstell houses, anyone? Skyrcrapers made out of Neutronium for University, weather resistant material, and surely, we'd have already developed better sensors to detect incoming geological disasters like earthquakes and volcano eruptions by 2700?

Earthquakes? counter with "rollers" or something similiar, that Japan is implementing.

Volcanic eruptions? counter with tempature and pressure resistant buildings. Then eat away the lava with nanites, streets good as new. Or, build undergound tunnels or cities in volcanic areas.

Hurricanes and Tornadoes? phffft. Silksteel, Ceramsteel, Neutronium are WAY more durable and stronger than wood and concrete. Gone are the days of houses tipping over, walls being shattered, houses being torn up, etc.

Ion storms? Electromagentic protection.

Floods? Build levees.

Poisonous gas? Breather masks or further terraforming.

Need I go on any more?

Weather and Natural Disasters: minor problem, if any at all.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think this covers pretty much most of the points Mellian made.

Laters, Academician Randius Zakharov
Old May 2, 2002, 12:14   #377
Mellian
Queen

I didn't make the assumption that other species will have the same reproduction rate as humans... and was aware that there would be room for you to make that point. Humans is capable, as so evident, to reproduce like crazy... but yet populations stayed pretty much the same for quite awhile due to warfare, diseases, natural disasters, and so on. Take your horn lionsfor example, if they are warriors and operate in tribes/prides, i would think they would have problems among themselves... else they wouldn't exactly be warriors or have warrior traditions if they simply a peaceful species.

three species on one planet? it is possible, but the idea that they weren't in contact or cause any friction is silly.... especially when you have a species that has near WW2 technological level. Different species compete for survival... unless something happen to naturally have the species to cooperate together.

As for Murphy's Laws...it mainly base on humanity really, and i don't think all species will react the same or follow the human evolutionary script. So our Common Sense won't be the same as another species CommonSense... despite how much i dislike using examples from ST, but take the Klingons, they killed their Gods and took over Hell apparently. So i doubt all species will bow down to superiority or technology more advance species.

As for natural disasters...leave room for any crazy phenomenons which Earth and anywhere in our system as to deal with. And, again, despite advance tecnologies of 2701, University didn't have all that when they started colonizing and establishing the initial infrastructure. The Colonial Frontier is a dangerous place until you get around to tame it.

If the natives doesn't belong in North/South America, then the Europeans don't belong in Europe, Asia and Autralia. I am part Algonquin (some family says Cree), and i do have pro-native feelings here in Canada

As for Quantum Laser, shooting split light particles is silly, more possible to do that with missiles then via Laser. For a Laser to be useful as a military weapon, need to have a lot of juice pump into it... so, Fission and up Lasers. Splitting a Light Particle could possibly create way bigger reaction then splitting an atom.

Sprayber - All Spartans diffenitly went off Chirons, even thought they had internal problems like the Cadre, and possibly others?

Why do we need to know the exact numbers of populations lately? and since the Hive is mysterious and secretive...does it really matter how big their pop is? I don't think the average Hiverian know how big their Empire is except that is really big.

Note to All:
For next week or so, won't be able to go on the computer as much... billeting again and the billet family only as limited time access to the internet ...and i work in an High School at the moment, so low chances of doing much.

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; May 2, 2002 at 22:18.
Old May 2, 2002, 12:18   #378
Mellian
Queen

Another quick note, not all advance alien races uses the same form of FTL.... that is why we use the term FTL then "warp, hyperspace, side-space, q-space, yacka yacka reality, etc" in BAC, it is mainly humanity and some other aliens uses Quantum Tunneling as FTL. the Fraal uses something else and rather not get into that except that they can go anywhere in the galaxy pretty quickly

-Mellian
Old May 2, 2002, 14:57   #379
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign

However, the Protectorate has 17 billion in a single star system, approximately the ENTIRE UCS population spread over 6 systems in ONE system!. The Protectorate holds 3 systems, half the UCS size, yet has slightly more population than UCS itself.

Once more, I'd like to remind you that the original Endeavor colonists (1) were about 15,000 (more than the Unity) and (2) except for an early spat, with a small colony on the southern continent, has had no signifigant planet-bound infighting.

Oh yeah, (3) Beta Hydri 4 ("Home") resembles a ice age earth, meaning, there is sufficent Oxygen/nitrogen in the atmosphere to support human life without a breather mask. Atmospheric pressure is close to earth average, so no pressure suits are needed. Plenty of plants that go through photosynthesis, so that's anohter plus in favor for growth.

Also, there never was a lotsa spooky fungus that sings and worms that give you nightmares.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2002, 15:30   #380
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 23:56
Mellian, PLZ check yer PMs.

In my upcoming post is it okay:

1) Maria discusses various situations with her advisors
2) My research teams discuss further advancements (considering the newly gained knowledge
3) An intro spin-off story of a rebel group on Maya SSSH colony (currently under EC control)

Je suis desolle - I am sorry that I havent posted for a while but will get there... eventually

I set up a site, dedicated to SMAC, using www.50megs.com and pretty soon, you shold be able to get stuff from there

(please be warned the links will probably change so don't link to them on any of your pages... yet)

www.cybercentauri.5u.com

--Nikola

And Lonestar, Nikola (Knee-co-lah) is a male name in Serbia, other Slavic languages, and even in Italian (but different spelling)
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2002, 18:44   #381
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
I like Eastern European names! Some of my ancestors were from Russia and German Poland before they lived in New York. How I got to Australia is beyond me.

Oh, yeah, new Firaxis post is in the pipeline. It'll hopefully be the first of many concerning a galactic-age soccer fan and his adventures.
Old May 2, 2002, 23:14   #382
Frankychan
King

Well, I don't know what's going on but here's my two cents...

Sprayber (IIRC) only listed down statistical #'s for General Tact for him to use for his posts.

"Why do we need to know the exact numbers of populations lately? and since the Hive is mysterious and secretive...does it really matter how big their pop is? I don't think the average Hiverian know how big their Empire is except that is really big. "

I gotta agree w/Mellian on this point. I don't think it really matters how big our pop is since not even the Hive citizens know. Like she says, they just know that the GHE is really big.

Just keep this in mind.....The Hive is bigger than you. That's all you need to know.

Last edited by Frankychan; May 2, 2002 at 23:24.
Old May 2, 2002, 23:27   #383
Frankychan
King

Sovereign- Are you reading my mind? I swear that what you've said is what I'm thinking about the upcoming post concerning the GHE takeover of an independent world....
Old May 2, 2002, 23:44   #384
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Just for interest: Which independent world?

Also, what are the Greater Hive Empire's major exports? Firaxis might be willing to do business.
Old May 3, 2002, 00:45   #385
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

Another round of debate with Mellian.

Quote:

I didn't make the assumption that other species will have the same reproduction rate as humans... and was aware that there would be room for you to make that point. Humans is capable, as so evident, to reproduce like crazy... but yet populations stayed pretty much the same for quite awhile due to warfare, diseases, natural disasters, and so on. Take your horn lionsfor example, if they are warriors and operate in tribes/prides, i would think they would have problems among themselves... else they wouldn't exactly be warriors or have warrior traditions if they simply a peaceful species.

three species on one planet? it is possible, but the idea that they weren't in contact or cause any friction is silly.... especially when you have a species that has near WW2 technological level. Different species compete for survival... unless something happen to naturally have the species to cooperate together.

The Ronso evolved on a distant contient from the Guado, and the Al-Bhed. Yes, they are tribal with Prides. They'd be what our Lions and Tigers would be, if the lions and tigers developed into a civilzation. Spira is slightly larger than Earth, and has 50% water, as opposed to Earth's 70% water. This means landmasses are approximately 20% larger on Spira.

They actually came in contact with the Al-Bhed, as well as Guado, before the Catastrophe. The Catastrophe was the result of their strife, as well as a sea creature. The Catastrophe taught them a painful lesson, and all three species lost regular contact for several hundred years, until the Ronso and Guado rebuilt their civilization to a medevial era. The Ronso focused on Medevial military technology, such as swords, spears, castles, etc.

The Guado went a different path. They focused on civil infrastructure, such as aqeducts, walls, cities, and so forth.

The Al-Bhed were scattered for a long time, until the nomads finally re-contact'ed each other, and re-grew into their distinct
civilization. Thanks to their technological skills, as well as having some ancient machinery / artifacts from pre-Catastrophe era helped them to bypass the slow technology development.

When the Ronso and Guado re-established contact, they were wary of each other, but they learned their painful lesson from the Catastrophe, and with the looming threat of sea creatures attacking land. They banded together in face of a "greater threat".

However, they had distrust and hatred for the Al-Bhed, blaming them for starting the Catastrophe. However, the same threat caused the three civilizations to "unify", with massive sea creatures attacking coastal cities, shipping, and so forth.

In the BAC universe, some Spira scholars suspect that the "grand civilization" genetically engineered the sea creatures to be biological weapons. I think a better civilization era for the pre-Catastrophe would be like late 20th century, but no nuclear power and no spaceflight. The civilization did have rudimentary genetic engineering, and computers. All this knowledge was lost in the Catastrophe.

So basically, the three civilizations initially had strife, and that led to the Catatsrophe. Then they lost "everything" except their sentience and who they were. Then they had to rebuild. But they learned not to make the same mistake again, and cause another Catastrophe.

Quote:
As for Murphy's Laws...it mainly base on humanity really, and i don't think all species will react the same or follow the human evolutionary script. So our Common Sense won't be the same as another species CommonSense... despite how much i dislike using examples from ST, but take the Klingons, they killed their Gods and took over Hell apparently. So i doubt all species will bow down to superiority or technology more advance species.
I was merely making a point. Some civilizations would be excited to be brought to a new level of existence, new level of life standards, while others would consider the advanced civilization as God or a divine being.

Quote:
As for natural disasters...leave room for any crazy phenomenons which Earth and anywhere in our system as to deal with. And, again, despite advance tecnologies of 2701, University didn't have all that when they started colonizing and establishing the initial infrastructure. The Colonial Frontier is a dangerous place until you get around to tame it.
We had silksteel and knowledge of engineering on Chiron. In addition, we already know how to "counter" natural disasters with engineering feats. Levees, durable residential towers, "rollers", and so forth.

True, some new, unknown natural disasters would happen. However, we would develop "counter" strategies, as well as engineering to combat these new disasters.

Quote:
As for Quantum Laser, shooting split light particles is silly, more possible to do that with missiles then via Laser. For a Laser to be useful as a military weapon, need to have a lot of juice pump into it... so, Fission and up Lasers. Splitting a Light Particle could possibly create way bigger reaction then splitting an atom.
Again, Randius was merely spectulating and throwing around ideas. Some ideas will prove to be true, while others would never work. Hey, its a new technology, so there's bound to be ideas thrown around for its applications.

Besides, I was trying to think up the "how" that happens for each quantum technology application. I'm as privy as Randius to realizing which application will work, and which others won't work.

Protectorate has Plasma Shard Buckshots, and correct me if I'm mistaken, its like shooting supercharged plasma in a buckshot, something like that

Quote:
Why do we need to know the exact numbers of populations lately? and since the Hive is mysterious and secretive...does it really matter how big their pop is? I don't think the average Hiverian know how big their Empire is except that is really big.
Well, I was merely hypothesizing how large the UCS population is, based on population growth, systems held, and so forth, backed up with calcuations and annual population growth. Thats all.

Laters,

Old May 3, 2002, 00:47   #386
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

I forgot to ask.

Whats IIRC? I mean, I know its something like "In Character" or something?

Laters,

Old May 3, 2002, 01:12   #387
Frankychan
King

Rofl, Sovereign-Ah, that's ok...it took me a while to know what it meant too.

IIRC=If I Remember Correctly

Mr. President- It is Firaxis! (no,no,no bad joke). Sprayber mentioned that the GHE take over an independent world to show the readers how Hive "liberation" takes place. It'll probably be a non-authored indy world.

Hmmm, exports....I don't know. I was thinking the GHE was self-supporting. Whatever was consumed would be made by GHE hands, therefore no "outside influence" would pollute the purity of Hive society. Planned Economics and all.....*shrug*

Well, if you want to open trade between Firaxis and the GHE, we can discuss things further.

I am suspicious of food items sent to non-Hive worlds. Why? Because someone could just analyze the food and recognize it's species type by galactic sectors. So, a "pear" from Beta Hydri would be analyzed and from flora data collected, a general estimation of the planet of origin could be traced.

Yes, yes, yes it sounds far-fetched. But as BAC continues I find myself thinking more like Sheng-ji Yang more and more. Soon, I'll plan for my house to be built underground.

......but I'm just babbling right now to ease the tension.
Old May 3, 2002, 02:46   #388
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
It is Firaxis!

Does the Hive want minerals, hydrogen, or plants? If not, don't worry about it.
Old May 3, 2002, 12:22   #389
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 16:56
IT'S A MAD HOUSE!!!!

Sorry...

Anyway...

Sorry for my recent inactivity. Lot on me wee mind lately. Now...here's the question to Mellian...I repeat, to Mellian.

Mellian: What are the Novans actually going to do? I need this incredibly vital information in order to write a new post!!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2002, 14:58   #390
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
*celebrates*

Just to give you a life sign, fellas. It's... some philosophical pondering at Earthdome.

And Greg and Filkins!

I think I'll cede control of Sym in a post or so. Thought he'd end up either in the hands of Coalition (Hive here we come?) or on Mars... *refrains from spoiling any more*