Old May 9, 2002, 04:50   #481
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Kass-hawaii gone?! Oh, what a miserable world it would be if the jewel of the planet was gone...
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 04:54   #482
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's gone to Richelieu, another Polyzen. It's still there, sure. Unless of course Greater Finland decides to go "Muroroa" with it. *boom*
Old May 9, 2002, 10:58   #483
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 16:56
Well, Mellian, it's one of the many border stations in the region. There would be a bunch of Pirates in the area, true, but there are a lot of Morganite fighters there also, and the algorith can't very well get ahold of them. Expect to see a post soon...very soon...
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 15:28   #484
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 17:56
Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Well, Mellian, it's one of the many border stations in the region. There would be a bunch of Pirates in the area, true, but there are a lot of Morganite fighters there also, and the algorith can't very well get ahold of them. Expect to see a post soon...very soon...
yes, a system in the region.... but i am mean where specificly somewhere in the Cyclanid system or other? Is it a military station? If so, i could see why they don't need Pirates to defend it and why the Pirates wouldn't have enough interaction for them to get infected. Yes, fighters as quite a chance not to get infected...unless they been personally communicated with the Pirates or something.

Anyway, we can have a starfighter battle and then have a cease fire.

Oh, lonestar, did you say the Beta Hydri was lower or higher then Sol in the z-axis? I found a good 3d map, where you can see clearly the differences in locations of the stars... I also found a good intereactive map in the same site...which i wish it had the three axis lines....

Just trying to figure out where the rogue independent world would be located :/ (which i plan for the Kane to takeover during the timewarp )

-Melllian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 15:30   #485
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:56
Bawhahahahah!!! Finals are done! And tonight I'm going to see Episode2!

:: Does the dance of annoying people ::

Take care all.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 16:13   #486
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

You lucky bastard!

I won't see it until 15.5. (you read that right), this lucky bastard (me) got into the economics contest finals, 28 out of 43 000 participants, and is going to Helsinki for a little trip, including a preview night at the cinema, watching AOTC.

Don't you dare spoil any of it, Lonestar!
Old May 9, 2002, 17:50   #487
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

what? AOTC is out?! Why wasn't I informed? I thought that it was gonna be released next week?
Old May 9, 2002, 17:59   #488
Frankychan
King

I thought it was going to be released on May 17th
Old May 9, 2002, 18:01   #489
Kassiopeia
Emperor

The Finnish premier is 16.5.; the preview showing is to my understanding on 15.5.
Lonestar here won some contest or alike IIRC, and got to a, erm, preview-preview-showing.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:08   #490
Frankychan
King

bah! That's ok, I didn't wanna see the movie anyway!

::goes off to sulk somewhere::
Old May 9, 2002, 18:46   #491
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
It's not out here until next week. I'm probably not going to see it. Sure, Natalie Portman is a fox, but I'm not on board with all this prequel business. Some friends are going to see it, so I'll ask them about it.

No time post now; Materials Science test in 75 minutes. Later make story about Ophelia; next week Firaxian soccer!
Old May 9, 2002, 20:35   #492
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:56
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
The Finnish premier is 16.5.; the preview showing is to my understanding on 15.5.
Lonestar here won some contest or alike IIRC, and got to a, erm, preview-preview-showing.
Actually, I just got plain lucky.

With George Lucas' niece!
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 21:59   #493
Sovereign
Prince

Quantum stuff
Guys,

I'm letting you know that I'm taking a brief hiatus, due to several reasons.

First, I have a lot of stuff to wrap up at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Second, I'll start moving my stuff to my home by next week.

Third, I'm busy writing several drafts of that "mirror universe" story.

But never fear! I never will plan on leaving the BAC story. I'll still be here, and the next post will prolly deal with some new quantum research and prototypes like Sprayber suggested, or some info about the Berrik City-ruins.

Mellian

Phase cloak? sounds like an interesting concept. If I'm not mistaken, if you alter an atomic quantum signature, it phases slightly.

Suppose an iron block has a quantum signature of 10, and is altered to a quantum signature of 27. Therefore, it has different properties than an identical block of iron with Quantum Signature of 10. This could shift it halfway into a new dimension, or change its properties to a new type of matter that passes through normal matter.

Also, teleportation is possible with quantum. Two quantum particles in two different places share the same signature. That actually means the 2 quantum particles is actually a single particle occupying two seperate locations at once. If someone or something latches onto that particle, it becomes existent in both locations, like instant cloning or replication.

Again, I'm not too sure of the exact sciences behind this, but this is what I learned in physics in my college.

Besides, if I remember right, Civ II: ToT's Extended Game has "portals" from Earth to Alpha Centauri using the quantum mechanics. I think it was "Portals" or "Ultrastrings" something like that.

I'm just trying to understand what to do with this quantum tech stuff, by using what we know right now about quantum mechanics, and quantum theories.

Let me know!

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2002, 23:20   #494
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
If two particles in different places that have the same Quantum signature are the same particle, does that mean that anything identical to something else is the same thing? How unique are quantum signatures anyway?

As TOT, once you reached AC you could research Ultrastring Theory, which allowed you to use teleporters. They were (I think) supposed to work by sending things down the ultrastrings, or something.

Anway, don't we have a rule about teleporting?

Also, as Sovereign has already asked, when are we planning to have the Progenitors invade?
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 00:01   #495
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
With George Lucas' niece!
That is laughable. Therefore I laugh.

Sorry, I just wanted to use the laughing smilie.

Quantum signatures are way over my head, but I think quantum teleportation is different than that. I read that it has to do with observation of particle pairs, and that observation of one member of such a pair will instantaneously affect the other one, no matter how far away it is. They did an experiment and proved that.

I'm just a friendly neighborhood materials engineer. I might be more prepared to answer questions about that.

Maybe I should be the Thread Engineer. Whenever we have to build something or make something I can advise people on what materials they should use and how big it can be before it falls down. Of course, since this is an Internet community, it's hard to see what we would need to build (Beyond Alpha Centauri is moving into a new virtual building today! Designed and constructed by regular poster Mr. President, the structure will house all 786 pages of discussion as well as links to all relevant websites!).

Okay, too much caffeine for me.
Old May 10, 2002, 01:17   #496
Mr. President
Emperor

Firaxian soccer is here, way ahead of schedule!
Old May 10, 2002, 02:35   #497
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Ok Sovereign, we will still be here.

GeneralTacticus: Yes teleporting is not in the BAC universe. I believe it falls under the rule, "Lets not turn this into that damned Star Trek" Or something to that effect.

Mr. PresidentYou can be the Thread Engineer, you are in charge of the Drone after all. One more question. I mentioned that the peace negotiations could be held on Firaxis. Is that ok? We could always do it on Concordia if you like.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 03:41   #498
Mr. President
Emperor

I'm cool with negotiations being held on Firaxis. It'll give the Prime Minister thereof a chance to make a rare appearance in the story.

What will my duties be as Thread Engineer?
Old May 10, 2002, 16:24   #499
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

Here is the info on the quantum stuff I was talking about yesterday. This comes directly from the Civ II: ToT Extended Game. Its a possibility, not too far off, since the only thing we need is a massive power supply. Quantum reactors will solve this.

Quantum Transport
Transport through the ultrastring matrix is wonderful, but it does has certain disadvantages. The most glaring is the fact that it takes a large building full of equipment to generate the energetic fields necessary to force access to the matrix and inject physical material through it. Quantum Transport (QT) provides a second method of nearly instantaneous travel, one that has lesser energy requirements. QT theory is not new. The science is based on early explorations in quantum theory, of a side effect that was called "quantum teleportation" by the researchers of the time. Practical application of these primitive techniques proved impossible, however, and only the resurgence of high-energy science brought about by the successes in ultrastring transport allowed further innovation in this field. QT provides a method of transport that can be established anywhere; all it takes is a small, dedicated site, which a suitably equipped unit can build relatively quickly. The corresponding site is created automatically by the quantum-level linkage processes. (In fact, the two sites are actually the same, but we haven't room here for a discussion of simultaneity theory.)

Besides, isn't FTL Quantum tunneling an similiar idea? What about these Star Gates, or Wormholes? Its the same concept.

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote