Old April 25, 2002, 19:26   #211
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
[LMP-- OK. Morgan will be ticked by any sign of betrayal, but he won't attack the Novans if they simply turn around and run. If they make an attack, Morgan will react. His intelligence is his best asset, and with his intelligence he can, and probably will get to Nova at some time or another. I'll wait for you to post before I have Morgan react in any way.
No, your not getting Joe Nova he is a important pirate character... anyway, happy hunting, will be hard to get to him.... if the Spartans and others hasn't succeeded to get Kane, what makes you think Morgan will be able to get Joe Nova? (french keyboards are annoying)

Quote:
If the Novans fire a single shot, the orbital platforms won't be so surprised that they'll just sit there waiting. They are on full alert. It's true that they are expecting to roast some Terrans, but they'd just as well roast some Pirates, and they could do it just as easily. Your guys will get away even if they do fire a shot, but a good number of them will be whipped if they try anything fancy!
Is the infamous data angel pre-sentient algorithm virus used to disable and limitly control the Drone military convoy fancy enough for you? The Novans had enough time to plant their seeds on the Morganite ships How? via communication. When i say unconventional, i do mean it. I don`t think there was enough time elapse for the Spartans and Drones to discovered how the Data Angel disabled the convoy and create ways against it... Data Angels are creative, and are in league with the pIrates.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2002, 21:44   #212
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm still not happy with the convoy hijacking. I think it was just a little bit too easy. You told us to use realism and common sense, and then you pull out something about hacking an advanced computer with some hand-waving algorithm, boarding the ship with space-walking troops, and then fighting off Spartan soldiers, the best in the galaxy, to get it away.

Wanna talk instant travel times? How long was the Terran Alliance "blitzkrieg" in transit from Earth to Samnos?

I'm getting pretty tired of this kind of thing.
Old April 26, 2002, 00:26   #213
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 12:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Franky From the post, I hope you don't think that Kessel thinks the Hive is weak, he is concerned but he is playing it cool for now.

History Guy I guess the comm link with get there after you get it from Lonestar. But maybe it will reinforce the idea of Sparta is sharing information. That post was assuming that Sparta has been informed about the Protectorate, if only in vague terms. Kessel was just sowing a little discord Yangs way.

Oh no Sprayber,

Sorry if it sounds like that! I felt that the direction the Hive was going was getting too "bright". I want to make the Hive more "dark" in terms of theme and character....sorry if it sounds like that.

No, I don't think Kessel thinks the Hive is weak. I wanted to have Kessel taken aback by Yang's threatening demeanor...kinda like a aggressive isolationism.

Just wanted Yang to threaten Kessel a bit. Sorry if the post feels like it is "bossy".

History Guy- Soon! Gotta work something out w/Lonestar to have Hive ships exact revenge. Maybe a Protectorate shuttle or somethin...
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 00:29   #214
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

as a side note, I'm glad some people out there saw "The Emperor's Rules"

BTW,

How the heck did you get all that kick arse pics on your website Sprayber? What kind of graphics program are u using?
Old April 26, 2002, 00:36   #215
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
I'm still not happy with the convoy hijacking. I think it was just a little bit too easy. You told us to use realism and common sense, and then you pull out something about hacking an advanced computer with some hand-waving algorithm, boarding the ship with space-walking troops, and then fighting off Spartan soldiers, the best in the galaxy, to get it away.
How is it to easy? how is it unrealistic? be specific... what is wrong with implanting a pre-sentient algorithm created by the Data Angels, known to be the best hackers and probes, on the ships via communication? Are you telling me 'mission impossible' type missions and pull it off is not possible? Besides, they had enough time to do that and for the virus to stealthily infect the computer systems of the ships. What is so wrong with the space troops??? They are Gears with thruster packs and Breach Pods were use too... what is so unrealistic with those? Pirates are known for their boarding. The Spartans may have the reputation of being the best soldiers in the galaxy, but doesn't mean they are invincible or impossible to defeat.

Quote:
Wanna talk instant travel times? How long was the Terran Alliance "blitzkrieg" in transit from Earth to Samnos?
From Sol in general technicly... and the travel time wasn't instant, they been in travel for a two days or so..and just before they came out of FTL, TA sent their declaretion of war... what is so unrealistic about that? It is possible to figure out how long it takes to get one place to another...and jumping right into the system was dangerous as well, but it was scouted out before. And since it is not possible to detect incoming ships in FTL, they had no way to know they were coming. The blitzkrieg should only work once the attacks begins....

Quote:
I'm getting pretty tired of this kind of thing.
yes well, I have been talking about what would happen in the Pirate intro and TA attacks for sometime before they were actually posted...didn't got any complaints then.

EDIT: hey, you did say that there wasn't much to do with the Drones, well, there is the Pirates to be delt with

-Mellian
Old April 26, 2002, 03:10   #216
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

I got the impression the Pirates can't be scratched. Like you said above, no-one's managed to damage Kane or Nova. Is it reasonable that they can cause such problems for superpowers like Sparta? Looking at the map of the Orion Arm there are very few places to hide. Where do they run to? How do the ship-stealers travel along known trade routes without being detected?

What if someone were to do the same thing to the Terran Alliance or the Pirates? You'd say it was farfetched at best.

And now Joe Nova's asked for asylum in Alliance territory. If you expect all our charges to recognize the Alliance as the victim in the war with Morgan, you should have no problem with all the factions regarding the Alliance as a rogue state that harbors buccaneers.

Speaking of the Alliance, where did the "blitzkrieg" come from anyway? The systems are near Alliance territory and prime targets for retaliation. Do we assume Morgan has no-one to tell him these things? The Alliance charges in unsighted, macerating Morgans, blasting Believers, smashing Spartans.

If I'm overly blunt I'm sorry, but from here the field does not look even. Is there any way to guard computer systems against Angel hackers? Is there any way to defend against roving pirates? Is there any way to beat back a Terran Alliance blitzkrieg? Not that I can tell.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:58   #217
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 09:56
Two more posts done. Next one will have the civil war begin in earnest.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 05:04   #218
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
I'm still not happy with the convoy hijacking. I think it was just a little bit too easy. You told us to use realism and common sense, and then you pull out something about hacking an advanced

computer with some hand-waving algorithm, boarding the ship with space-walking troops, and then fighting off Spartan soldiers, the best in the galaxy, to get it away.

I'm getting pretty tired of this kind of thing

My next post will deal with this. Security will be thightened. Mellian, there will be no more single Spartan ships on patrol. Standard procedure for a convoy with equipment like that will be a minimum of 15 Spartan warships. And dont think you can take on 3 warlocks and supporting craft and not expect heavy losses. If the Pirates want to steal something from now on they will pay for it in heavy losses. Kessel will offer to extend protection inside Drone territory until further arrangements can be made. He will also offer a Spartan Marine Battallion to the Drones to pe placed on cargo and transport ships that transport sensitive equipment. That and a fleet will begin to take shape for the purpose of Pirate hunting among other things.

Quote:
Sorry if it sounds like that! I felt that the direction the Hive was going was getting too "bright". I want to make the Hive more "dark" in terms of theme and character....sorry if it sounds like that.

No, I don't think Kessel thinks the Hive is weak. I wanted to have Kessel taken aback by Yang's threatening demeanor...kinda like a aggressive isolationism.

Just wanted Yang to threaten Kessel a bit. Sorry if the post feels like it is "bossy".
Next post will deal with that with Kessel getting uneasy about the message. But he couldn't very well act shocked or uneasy in front of his people.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 07:01   #219
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 00:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Who is this Guardian character that keeps popping up in the thread every now and then.
Guardian? Where??

By the way... how do I read the map??

Oh! Never mind... (I just found a key at Kass' page )

Next question: Do I need to have all my background stuff done before posting anything in the story or can I do it a bit at a time as long as I use common sense and don't break any rules?
Old April 26, 2002, 08:19   #220
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
I am fortunate enough to be unentangled in Alliance affairs. Because the last thing I'd have time to do is sort that stuff out.
Eh, just popped in to read the latest threads to make sure my post will be up to date. Oh, I should edit my earlier story posts a bit...
Can we agree that the EC never declared war on Conclave?

Quote:

Oh! Never mind... (I just found a key at Kass' page)
Glad to be of help.
Had forgotten the whole Stellar cartography section, actually.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 26, 2002 at 08:24.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 11:45   #221
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 16:56
LMP-- OK...but we'll get some Pirates before the whole story ends far far in the future, right?? Two or three maybe?

Man, if such a primative, dirty little bunch as the Novans can get away from just about anything, it looks like the Morganites, Spartans, and Drones are safe from every single thing that might possibly be considered remotely dangerous.

Franky-- Great!!!

Mr. President is still right. I think that the Pirates are far too powerful in their own little way. While the Morganites are being batted around the Corporate Sector, the Hive is retaliating against the Protectorate, and the Spartans and Drones are loosing convoys, it looks like the Novans can do just about anything they care to and not get caught.

Guardian-- There you are again you slippery little devil!

I'd suggest just posting something quickly just to get the Peacekeepers in the story, start to develop the plot or something to that effect. Then you might want to post somethings in the datalinks about Peacekeepers and how they are run today and who the main characters are.

Quote:
I am fortunate enough to be unentangled in Alliance affairs.
Oooh, ya lucky little guy!
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 12:12   #222
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Oooh, ya lucky little guy!

So true... Twas close, considering I was the only one writing for them for a while.
Old April 26, 2002, 12:29   #223
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
I got the impression the Pirates can't be scratched. Like you said above, no-one's managed to damage Kane or Nova.
the person themselves or their clans? if person, only other pirates and past missions they played tango got some personal injuries... but as the clan, never said anywhere they cannot or anyone never damaged them... I said no one succeeded in eliminating them... possible to cause some damage, but doesn't mean you cripple them. When a clan is being hunted down, they seperate and go all over the place...so they don't get nailed all together in one shot.

Quote:
Is it reasonable that they can cause such problems for superpowers like Sparta? Looking at the map of the Orion Arm there are very few places to hide. Where do they run to? How do the ship-stealers travel along known trade routes without being detected?
Kane, his clan and following clans..nicknamed the Kane Bloc, is becoming more and more of a problem to a superpower like the Spartans. Pirates are not able to go fleet to fleet and take over systems....but they can cause damage and annoyances.
as for where they can hide, many places! BAC map doesn't show all of the stars within the 50ly radius of Sol, and there is also the z-axis as well. Pirates hide at the edge of systems, barren unclaimed systems, asteroid belts, barren or worser worlds, moons, around gas giants that are generally ignored, systems at the edge of human space, systems far up or far down in the z-axis, hide in independent systems, and hide in low defended faction systems...especially ones that don't have proper sensor arrays to cover the whole system, and etc... still plenty of room to hide

Quote:
What if someone were to do the same thing to the Terran Alliance or the Pirates? You'd say it was farfetched at best.
No

Quote:
And now Joe Nova's asked for asylum in Alliance territory. If you expect all our charges to recognize the Alliance as the victim in the war with Morgan, you should have no problem with all the factions regarding the Alliance as a rogue state that harbors buccaneers.
The Novans didn't commit any war crimes and they are Mercenaries. Spartans/Drones won't like the Novans because captured the Drone military controlled merchant cruiser and involved in the lost of the Spartan Warlock, and hired by Kane. With the Morganites, the Novans broke their contract with them and got a better one from the Terrans...and took advantage of the previous contract which have them best of positions to pull off their next stunt. Kerensky still hasn't replied back to Nova, so no response yet concerning letting the Novans in TA territory...also, he didn't exactly informed the TA Council just yet that the TAF hired mercenaries out of the blue....which he done so he doesn't need to fight them and be able to take the morganite positions more quickly from their advantagous positions. If the Morganites have a problem with the TAF stealing their mercenaries by giving a better offer, then they can complain at the peace negociations. Anyway, Novans could easily mingle with the Belters

Quote:
Speaking of the Alliance, where did the "blitzkrieg" come from anyway? The systems are near Alliance territory and prime targets for retaliation. Do we assume Morgan has no-one to tell him these things? The Alliance charges in unsighted, macerating Morgans, blasting Believers, smashing Spartans.
why do i keep having the impression that you didn;'t seem to have read my past posts? TAF isn't infiltrated by anyone, due to their strict security checks and polices...and the TAF is a military organization with a lot of autonomy. TAF was the one leading the TA attacks, and the one making the plans....where the member forces were kept in the dark accept as to where to rendezvous...and since Sol is crowded with military ships, hard to tell wether they are getting ready for war, as they look that way naturally. only took under a week to organize the forces, and once it is time to leave, that is when the TAF tells them where and how they will attack, and then left right after. So for morgan intel to found out is pretty low. Also, TA isn't attacking the believers or spartans.

Quote:
If I'm overly blunt I'm sorry, but from here the field does not look even. Is there any way to guard computer systems against Angel hackers? Is there any way to defend against roving pirates? Is there any way to beat back a Terran Alliance blitzkrieg? Not that I can tell.
Sorry for being blunt and offensive, but your thinking and creative skills is pretty low. Sure there is ways to defend against hacking and viruses.... but the pre-sentient algorithm was fairly new, so naturally people will develop ways to combat it, but not right away. Data Angels as the best intelligence network...yes ther is ways to combat them, but not entirally. No one is invincible in all or single areas. As for the blitzkrieg, it is the first time ever that TA attacks Chironian systems, and the attack are pretty well organized. My impression was that Chironians think the Terrans are idiots and low tech, so gets overconfident....until TA got them, smarting them up. What is do wrong for TA to succeed? first time they do anything positive, as before it was negatives.

-Mellian
Old April 26, 2002, 12:54   #224
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian

Guardian? Where??

Oh! Never mind... (I just found a key at Kass' page )

Next question: Do I need to have all my background stuff done before posting anything in the story or can I do it a bit at a time as long as I use common sense and don't break any rules?
Don't worry about all your background. Just make a condensed version of your history of your factions development and interaction with other factions. Create a basic list of Characters that will be important. You can flesh out your faction as time goes on. Just give enough info so the others don't have to guess. Also you may want to have an opinon of the current war. so you may want to read up. Generally just talk to everyone and get your relationships down, cause the PKs are a large power in the sector.

Here is the early history leading up to the exodus from Chiron

2221-Progenators Land on Alpha Centauri

2301-Combined Spartan-Pirate-Peacekeeper-Hive armies overrun the last Progenitor stronghold. Conqueror Marr interred in a punishment sphere. University instrumental in providing technological support to Human Alliance.

2303-Morganites-Gaians-Believers are given back lands formerly liberated by Human armies.

2336-Universty and Morgans become the first factions to colonize Nessus and Pholus.

2354-Spartan and Hive forces attempt take over of Nessus mining operations.

2355-Moon Accords are finalized allowing Spartan and Hive to mine small portion of Nessus.

2379-Unversity scientist field first prototype FTL drive.

2381-Improved version of FTL drive is completed. Data Angel probes steal design for first prototype drive. Information is spread across Chiron.

2382-Spartans and Hive threaten war if all information on the new FTL is not released.

2384-University is forced to release information but withholds vital specifications about minerals need to power the drive. At least four different ores are found to work but University only mentions Kalciate as mineral needed.

2388-Peacekeepers attempt to get the factions to agree on equal shares of the FTL drive technology. Spartans and University refuse to cooperate with each other. The Hive-Spartan alliance crumbles and the two factions start small scale fighting. University is relieved of the Spartan Hive threat.

2390-University, with Morgan financial backing, produced the first fully operational FTL ship.

2399-Morgan and University begin production on Colony and Mining ships.

2400-Spartans and Hive launch separate attacks on University territory. Peacekeepers intervene on behalf of the University.

2401-Spartans launch first space attack on a University-Morgan space station. Two completed FTL ships are captured.

2402-Ceasefire is declared and peace returns to Chiron. FTL treaty is signed.

2406-Cyborg Scientists prefect first FTL Comm device. Information is shared to all factions but gets little fanfare initially. (Cyborgs will always seem to be able to communicate better than every other human faction.)

2417-Morgans move their headquarters off of Chiron and become the first faction to leave Chiron. They retain a few assets on Chiron and Nessus, But majority of Morgan employees move with Headquarters.

2420-University sets up their headquarters off world as well. Find out of the way planet to continue research. They maintain relations with Morganites and Peacekeepers.

2424-Spartans join exodus off planet. They wonder for years to find the right planet to take.

2428-Spartans land at Spartan Point on a planet they name Sparta Prime.

Here are my entries about the one PK Spartan war.

2605-Spartans move in on the independent Tyre system and force the small colonly to become Spartan possesion. Spartan territory adds five systems. None of which suitable for habitation but provide location for Sparta's first station outside the Spartan Home System. Sensor posts are set up along Spartan border. New Caladon is almost entirely enclosed in Spartan territory except for small corridor. Sparta warns PKs to leave New Caladon Pks only reinforce planet further.

2609-Peecekeeper buildup on Coventry is detected by Spartan spies. Coventry is a heavly populated PK planet wedged between Spartan territory and neutral space.

2611-Spartans lauch attack on Coventry. Initial defeat of Peeckeeper fleet is reversed when Spartans face heavy opposition after landing. Spartans take Coventry's moon instead and establish outpost there.

2612-Spartans take New Caladon with little resistence beyond work stoppages.

2613-Peecekeeper Fleet departs Chiron headed out towards Coventry. Coventry resists Spartan attempts to subdue resistence. Spartans only succeed in holding 55% of planet. Peecekeeper Fleet arrives as peace treaty is being finalized. Spartans withdraw from Coventry and its moon. Spartans keep New Caladon as part of the peace treaty.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old April 26, 2002, 14:03   #225
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 23:56
AHEMMM!!!!!

Quote:
do you think that Nicholas' son should be born soon? This is crutial to my story

Plus Kass we urgently need to discuss our agreements about the moons! How about we send you a message to start you off

(just to get some attention)
: : :
Old April 26, 2002, 14:06   #226
Sprayber
Emperor

Can we proceed with the story without insults everyone?
Old April 26, 2002, 16:21   #227
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
Sorry for being blunt and offensive, but your thinking and creative skills is pretty low.
Godfrey Daniel! Now excuse me, LMP, but I do think that this is a bit over the top. no one has to be subjected to listening to that sort of thing about their abilities. If people are going to be treated like this here they are not going to be sticking around. I can promise you that.

Quote:
Can we proceed with the story without insults everyone?
Thanks Thread-god. You truly earn the title of Emperor here.
Old April 26, 2002, 16:22   #228
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
LMP-- OK...but we'll get some Pirates before the whole story ends far far in the future, right?? Two or three maybe?
The Novans will loose some ships when they attempt their next wonderful mission impossible ...like some morganite ships that hasn't gotten infected because due to low amount of communication with them....

Quote:
Man, if such a primative, dirty little bunch as the Novans can get away from just about anything, it looks like the Morganites, Spartans, and Drones are safe from every single thing that might possibly be considered remotely dangerous.
I wouldn't say primitive... they do have the average chironian tech a long with their own develop applications like EMP missiles and effective ways to board enermy ships... they are simply under equiped, under manned, and their ships experience more wear and tear....as they don't always get full maintenance like other factions. When Kane's revolution happens, the Pirates may start getting out of their rogue state.
Also, the Wolverines have acquired some techs some time before...just still figuring out how to develop it...they succeeded with some things, and the stuff they specificly acquired in the past decade from raids and so on helped. Right now, the biggest problem Kane still has is manpower... hard to dominate most of the Pirate Faction and be able to go head-to-head with other factions if there is not alot people to crew the ships.... the contruction of ships and training isn't a problem, just need people or even droids Not only consideering Droids.... other possibilities is clones, sentient algorithms, and so on. anyway, just something the Pirates will be busy with.

Quote:
Mr. President is still right. I think that the Pirates are far too powerful in their own little way. While the Morganites are being batted around the Corporate Sector, the Hive is retaliating against the Protectorate, and the Spartans and Drones are loosing convoys, it looks like the Novans can do just about anything they care to and not get caught.
Novans are mercenaries, and were hired by Kane to help capture that Drone convoy...which is already a risky mission. They can't simply go anywhere they want and raid anything... they have manpower to worry about, and how many ships.... Pirates only do very risky missions if they know they have a good chance. Right now, i don't see the Pirates very strong, i don't why you people are complaining so much Not like i wiping out entire fleets, or taking over large tract of territory, or blowing entire planets...

-Mellian
Old April 26, 2002, 16:47   #229
Cybergod
Prince

After reading posts after posts after posts of uterly ridiculous arguments, I have to agree with some points History just made about Mellian's post:

Quote:
Sorry for being blunt and offensive, but your thinking and creative skills is pretty low.
I find comments such as these utterly offencive. Could we just cut them out?

Another point to make:

Quote:
TAF isn't infiltrated by anyone, due to their strict security checks and polices
LOL, are you being serious? In my opinion, there cannot be any human organisation that doesn't have a single infiltrator. And this is the future - you may not need human infiltrators; humanity could apply advanced cybernetics to inflitrate factions/nations with artifial inteligence for instance. And what about Gaians and their Empath Guild? Plus who would stop anyone replication such a telepathic project, even on a small scale? (Just a suggestion)

Guardian! Saturn says hello! BTW what are Peacekeeper relations with Morgan, since their little ideological criss-crossing with the Spartans?

Now, on a brighter note (not), here is some Saturnian propaganda...

It would be good to have Outkast and "B.O.B." in the background as well...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	propaganda1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	14111  
Old April 26, 2002, 16:49   #230
Cybergod
Prince

"Buhaha! Death to EC!"
Whoops! Did I say that out loud?
*cough* unofficially of course *cough*
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	propaganda2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	14113  
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 16:55   #231
Mellian
Queen

sorry for the insult, but i do think it is insulting that i talk about what actions I will do and then have to repeat myself, as if no one was paying attention to what i said when i was talking about it. Also insulting that i seem to be attacked for nearly everything single thing in the story, that this and that is too strong, unrealistic and so on. Yes, i do it myself, but not for every single thing and personally, i see nothing wrong with my actions. terran alliance is technicly has more disadvantages then the chironian factions yet people still complain. Pirates are not that strong, yet people complain they too strong after one event and another coming out? it is insulting to me that people like putting words into my mouth, and exagerate.

If people think the pirates and TA is too strong, well, woa oh oh... look at those invincible Spartans that cannot be defeated just because they are the most elite soldiers in the galaxy, look at the drones and their alien temple, look at University and super ships and high tech stuff, look at the Protectorate that was able to hide for so long without rest of humanity discovering them and discovering a parralel bubble dimension with a disabled time machine that emittes a lot of chrono particles, oh look the believer mercenaries easily running over the stupid highly trained TAF ships.... look at the morganites able to pull off a stunt like sending a fleet right into Sol luckily not hitting anything and quickly take over, look at those Chironian ships moving about human space in hours time practically!!!

anyway,m will be away from comp this weekend...

later,
-Mellian
Old April 26, 2002, 17:10   #232
History Guy
King

OK, LMP (on the pirates).

Cybergod-- Woah! Those posters!

We dastardly Morganites tend to agree with you when it comes to Earthers.

Quote:
sorry for the insult, but i do think it is insulting that i talk about what actions I will do and then have to repeat myself, as if no one was paying attention to what i said when i was talking about it. Also insulting that i seem to be attacked for nearly everything single thing in the story, that this and that is too strong, unrealistic and so on. Yes, i do it myself, but not for every single thing and personally, i see nothing wrong with my actions. terran alliance is technicly has more disadvantages then the chironian factions yet people still complain. Pirates are not that strong, yet people complain they too strong after one event and another coming out? it is insulting to me that people like putting words into my mouth, and exagerate.
Well, look on the bright side. At least no one has said of you that your "thinking and creative skills is pretty low."

Quote:
look at those invincible Spartans that cannot be defeated just because they are the most elite soldiers in the galaxy,
Hmmmmm...where has Sprayber ever hinted even once that his troops are unbeatable?

Quote:
look at the drones and their alien temple,
What, may I ask, is wrong with this plot? This is space. You are the one who is constantly introducing more alien races. What is wrong with the Temple?

Quote:
look at University and super ships and high tech stuff,
It's the University!! The top minds anywhere!!!!

Quote:
look at the Protectorate that was able to hide for so long without rest of humanity discovering them and discovering a parralel bubble dimension with a disabled time machine that emittes a lot of chrono particles,
Well...that time machine bit was a little odd...I must confess...

Quote:
oh look the believer mercenaries easily running over the stupid highly trained TAF ships....
Well, the TAF guys were surprised at Capella after all. They were outnumbered, surrounded, Morganites and Believers coming in on all sides. Technically, the odds were that all of the TAF ships would be wrecked, but quite a few did escape and are hovering around Capella creating havoc.

Quote:
look at the morganites able to pull off a stunt like sending a fleet right into Sol luckily not hitting anything and quickly take over, look at those Chironian ships moving about human space in hours time practically!!!
Errrrrr...ummmmm...no comment!!

Sorry, but these sorts of posts don't particularly make people eager to contribute to BAC.
Old April 26, 2002, 20:04   #233
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:56
CyberGod, the Protectorate's propganda machine is far superior.

Let's just say it has Spider-Man, Jedi, and the guy who did "Wag the Dog".
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 20:36   #234
Frankychan
King

Ok *deep breath* here goes,

Please, can we not have personal attacks? I do not want to see anyone leave this impressive story that we are all part of. Attacks towards authors, IMO, are unacceptable. Attacks toward faction leaders (Kessel insulting Yang, for instance) is totally acceptable.

We, as professionals, should not subject ourselves to calling each other names and so forth. But in Mellian/LMP's case, we should read her posts before we "fly-off-the-handle" and start accusing and pointing fingers.

But remember, we should not be hippocritical in our arguments. So, saying things like "So-and-so is unrealistic, I won't stand for it!" and then turn around and post something that is just as unbelievable is wrong....plain and simple.

To Address the Points Made by Mellian and covered by History Guy

The Spartans are not invincible, contrary to what people believe. They may seem hard-core, but that is how they are in the game! Their militarism in BAC represents their faction and beliefs. A disciplined military is a very dangerous foe, but they are not "unbeatable".....sorry Sprayber! Just because they are elite doesn't necessarily mean that they cannot be killed. Sure, they may be harder to get rid of, but it is possible.

The Drones and the Temple are another matter. The temple is a subplot within Mr. Presidents story. Maybe PM him would help clarify questions about it. I, for one, do not see this as a threat or unbeatable weapon. I see it as the Drone's exploring the temple and this is IMHO, a good alternative to the "war-footing" everyone seems to be on right now.

The University. In the game, the UoP is the first ones to discover "Secrets of the Human Brain" (or whatever close to this). Would they not think of new technology to use? The "super-ships" are not indestructable! Like the Spartans, it may take more effort to get rid of them, but it can be done. There is no super-omega-cannot touch me technology that they have created because, quite frankly, it is impossible. Besides, numerically planet-wise, they have one of the least amount.

Protectorate. Ok, maybe some things were not totally realistic but Lonestar has apologized for the time machine tech and will hopefully rectify his error. I do not think he thinks his faction is unbeatable. Keeping quiet all these centuries is hard, but he has changed much of his initial idea's (moving to Beta Hydri, for example) and he has been cooperative in his postings.

Believers. Faith is very strong when in the hands of the desperate. (Sorry Silence if you take this the wrong way!) Initial surprise was on the Believers. But now that surprise is gone and things should balance out.

Morgans. Coming from a Hiver this is the most difficult to say...The Morganites have not encroached into Sol Space. Capella is far off from the Terran worlds so taking it shouldn't be a problem. I have supported the Terrans taking Samnos and Naxos (Me, the author) because of S and N's relative closeness to Sol Space. Now, Sprayber and History Guy have made precautions so no more Moganite territory will be taken as easily as S and N, which is realistic enough. When you are attacked, it is natural to beef up defense after the initial loss.
Even though ppl may think the Morganites are "softies" they are not. Relatively speaking, they may be less ferocious or aggressive as a Spartan or Hiver, they are good combatants in their own right.

Pirates. I don't think they are untouchable. As Mellian says, the individual leaders may be slippery and hard to catch, but the pirate forces themselves are not. You can eliminate one part of the clan, but with resources spread all over the place, it would be rather hard to get rid of them all. It's like an ant colony. You can kill those you see but to get rid of them all, you have to go and eliminate every single one.

Lastly, the Hive. I have been (or least think I have) careful to make sure the Hive is not a "super entity". I have tried to be fair in how people perceive the Hive and its motives. Our quality is low, but quantity high. The only things that I have expressed is secrecy. This is something that gives the Hive the edge, so to speak. If we did not have secrecy, anyone could just come in with OVERWHELMING force and destroy us. The old saying "What you don't know, CAN hurt you" comes into play here. Just to say one last things about quality/quantity. It is only natural that at the top, things should be the best so these are the elite, meaning they can compete quality-wise with other factions. But since this Hiv-quality is rare, it is only reserved for special circumstances.

I just want everyone to know that if you think something should change on my behalf, just PM me! I am really accepting to other idea's (Lonestar calling Hive Prime the Throneworld for example!) and will modify my look on things.

Just so long as people consult with me first! If decisions are made on my behalf without me knowing, I tend to get upset....a character flaw I try to change.

I hope this post does not seem like an attack on anyone because it is not. I am looking at each of your arguments objectively and without bias. Lets try not to jump the gun on things and clarify our stance on events before we start going on the offensive....please?

Well, this post is bringing me down so here's one last thing.

I enjoy seeing everyone post and collaborating with each other to help make this story work. Of course there's going to be problems because everyone thinks differently. Just remember to not take offense and remind people to pay attention to what you say before making comments about them. Collaborate with each other and I'm sure we can make everything work out!

Have a good week-end everyone!

(p.s. Cyber-good graphics!)
(p.p.s. Sprayber-thanks for putting up the pre-FTL timeline, I've been looking everwhere for it!)

Last edited by Frankychan; April 27, 2002 at 04:07.
Old April 26, 2002, 20:59   #235
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 18:56
Quote:

Protectorate. Ok, maybe some things were not totally realistic but Lonestar has apologized for the time machine tech and will hopefully rectify his error. I do not think he thinks his faction is unbeatable. Keeping quiet all these centuries is hard, but he has changed much of his initial idea's (moving to Beta Hydri, for example) and he has been cooperative in his postings.

Like to point out I stated from the begining that I would not use a time machine, or time machine tech that would fly off the handle of our pseudo-reality.

That is all.

Quote:
Lastly, the Hive. I have been (or least think I have) careful to make sure the Hive is not a "super entity". I have tried to be fair in how people perceive the Hive and its motives. Our quality is low, but quantity high. The only things that I have expressed is secrecy. This is something that gives the Hive the edge, so to speak. If we did not have secrecy, anyone could just come in with OVERWHELMING force and destroy us. The old saying "What you don't know, CAN hurt you" comes into play here. Just to say one last things about quality/quantity. It is only natural that at the top, things should be the best so these are the elite, meaning they can compete quality-wise with other factions. But since this Hiv-quality is rare, it is only reserved for special circumstances.

Actually, the GHE has come across to me as the "Big boy on the block", the Superpower of the story.

But, whatever.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2002, 22:58   #236
Sovereign
Prince

Guys....

GOOD NEWS

I finally posted a lengthy story post, concerning Randius's wake up from the coma.

I finally had time today to finish working on the post.

Lemme know what y'all think!

By the way, welcome to our forums, Centauri1B!

Feel free to PM me about Univ - Mars relations and perhaps trading. Maybe some cultural or technology trading as well.

with Centauri1B behind Mellian's back to get some Bio-Metal technology.

Just kidding Mellian.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2002, 03:55   #237
Kassiopeia
Emperor

First off, I apologise if I have insulted any of you fellows. Whatever it was, was definitely not my intention.

Secondly, I find it rather immature of people (glances at LMP) to be descending to using personal insults in this kind of situations.

Quote:
Plus Kass we urgently need to discuss our agreements about the moons! How about we send you a message to start you off.
All right... Have been a bit preoccupied lately, sorry for that.

Btw, Cyber... If I catch the Saturnian Intelligence folks disseminating that propaganda on any Coalition facility, they'll shoot first and ask questions later on.

And, I hope no-one objects if I have SC Wakazashi get overly pissed off at the TAF - Kerensky and others? He really doesn't appreciate the TAF nosing in on everything (but hey, it's his opinion, not mine).

Last edited by Kassiopeia; April 27, 2002 at 04:17.
Kassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2002, 04:02   #238
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
Thanks, this really helps.

Quote:
What is do wrong for TA to succeed?
Nothing. What is wrong is to have a lack of communication, and to convey an aura of invinicbility. They have biometal. They have battlecruisers that take thirteen torpedo hits and don't die. They have infiltrated every other faction, and no other faction (by your own words) has infiltrated them.

Quote:
look at the drones and their alien temple,
The Temple is internal to the Drones and does not affect other plotlines. It is not wiping out fleets and smashing defence perimeters.

Quote:
Data Angels as the best intelligence network
That may be a fact. But they convinced the convoy that they were friendly ships. If I recall correctly, the post mentions that the hijackers' ships were also stolen at a previous date. Is there no such thing as a registry, where the convoy's commander would have checked the ships' ID?

But why am I even bothering? The problem is one of perception as much as anything else. As long as purposes are as crossed as they seem to be, we're going to be arguing continuously.

I regret to give notice that my participation in Beyond Alpha Centauri has come to an end.

Fans of The Hunt should stay tuned for more action there.
Old April 27, 2002, 08:05   #239
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian

If people think the pirates and TA is too strong, well, woa oh oh... look at those invincible Spartans that cannot be defeated just because they are the most elite soldiers in the galaxy, look at the drones and their alien temple, look at University and super ships and high tech stuff, look at the Protectorate that was able to hide for so long without rest of humanity discovering them and discovering a parralel bubble dimension with a disabled time machine that emittes a lot of chrono particles, oh look the believer mercenaries easily running over the stupid highly trained TAF ships.... look at the morganites able to pull off a stunt like sending a fleet right into Sol luckily not hitting anything and quickly take over, look at those Chironian ships moving about human space in hours time practically!!!

anyway,m will be away from comp this weekend...

later,
-Mellian

1. What you said was out of line by any stretch of the imagination

2. What people are mad about the Pirates are that you wrote the scenerio without asking for input from the people you were stealing the ships from. You just did it. You made up procedures that you thought the other factions would have again without asking. That is what upset people the most. You wouldn't appreaciate too much if a Spartan fleet went into sol and just did things without allowing you to have input. But the Pirates did.

3. IIRC History Guy and Kass actually talked about what each side would do in each if the engagements. Franky and History guy discussed what they would do. Silance actually asked what the SOGs could do.

4. Have you asked Mr. President what the alien temple story was for? Has he stated his intention of using it to destroy the Terrans?

Kass It wasn't you I was talking about
Old April 27, 2002, 08:47   #240
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Kass It wasn't you I was talking about
Just making sure...