Old April 13, 2002, 00:03   #1
PatLasch
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Complaints in any thread.
Ok, This came to me when I read through a thread asking about cheats. Someone came in and said that selling the game was a cheat. How come threads with a simple request for information are soon filled by complaints about the game? If I ask this community about the best research path, should I be answered with posts about the lack of multiplayer? Or unrealistic combat results? There are plenty of threads with the sole purpose of complaining or defending the game, but not every thread needs to devolve into an argument does it? I may be new to posting here, But I have lurked for a while. I remember things being more friendly than this.
Old April 13, 2002, 00:15   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:57
Ohhh your memory is short. Thankfully for you. Heh.

Nice sentiment, but this is a relatively open site. You must take the good with the bad.

Keep in mind that the more people who are genuinely interested in the game and who choose to de-lurk, the better the Civ3 forums will be. BTW. As a registered user you can use the ignore list. You will then not see the noise that is created by a very few habitual complainers. Or don't ignore them and poke them with a stick when ever the chance presents itself. Your choice. Just keep it clean or you will run afoul of the Mingster.
Old April 13, 2002, 00:21   #3
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sadly, there are people who ruin it for the rest of us. I too have seen many valid and decent questions being asked, with the threads being filled with people who can only really see the negative aspects of the game, and even then their opinions are overly exaggerated.

The truth is that they are not the majority. There are plenty of us decent people who are here to discuss in a constructive manner, some of the aspects of the game, sharing strategies, sharing modpacks, etc. But then these very individuals dedicated to defaming the game attack the thread with volley after volley of anti-civ3 slander. Then the subject of the thread no longer matters, as it has simply degenerated into an argument with those people.

To those people, here is the perfect solution to what appears to be a problem that has destroyed your lives: DON'T PLAY IT!!! Stop complaining about it and just don't play it.

And to those concerned about these morons, you simply need to ignore them. They won't do it if their message isn't being noticed. Don't sink to their level and give them the satisfaction they have sought. Continue the valid discussion in the thread without a single response to their posts.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 13, 2002, 04:27   #4
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 23:57
LordAzreal, you´re really right. I been wondering why people that seems to hate the game so much bothers to play it, or even discuss it here. I don´t think it is a perfect game, but i really enjoy it and can live with most of it flaws. There are many other games that I´ve been more disappointed with that I found was a real waste of money. But I´ve also noticed that when I´ve been reading many posts here, I also have been starting to think about the game and all it draw-backs. So maybe it is a bad spiral - when someone points out all the bad things in the game others notice it but they might not even have thought about it before.
Old April 13, 2002, 06:34   #5
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

Local Time: 22:57
Time for threadjacking and converting this thread into another Civ4 thread.
Old April 13, 2002, 12:35   #6
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 18:57
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Keep in mind that the more people who are genuinely interested in the game and who choose to de-lurk, the better the Civ3 forums will be.
notyoueither is right. The more people truly interested in the game who post, the better the forum will be.
Old April 13, 2002, 12:50   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I really enjoy the forums; very happy that I de-lurked.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 13, 2002, 14:13   #8
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 00:57
Re: Complaints in any thread.
Quote:
Originally posted by PatLasch
Ok, This came to me when I read through a thread asking about cheats. Someone came in and said that selling the game was a cheat. How come threads with a simple request for information are soon filled by complaints about the game? If I ask this community about the best research path, should I be answered with posts about the lack of multiplayer? Or unrealistic combat results? There are plenty of threads with the sole purpose of complaining or defending the game, but not every thread needs to devolve into an argument does it? I may be new to posting here, But I have lurked for a while. I remember things being more friendly than this.
You should post those question in CIV3-STRATEGY FORUM

There is much less noise.
Old April 13, 2002, 14:24   #9
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Dude, you may see a lot of posts about people that whine about Civ3 but it's really not the majoraty. There has been a lot of polls here on "Do you like civ3" and about 75 to 80% of the people liked the game with it's flaws or really liked it. So when you see a "whinning" post just check out the names you'll see a lot of them come up pretty often.
Then you'll be able to make a pretty little ignore list.

Spec.
Old April 13, 2002, 21:51   #10
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 17:57
I see the insulting flaming Firaxis fanboys are back.

This is NOT the Official Firaxis Shills forum. It is an open forum independent from Firaxis where discussion about the game and Firaxis' questionable policies is not discouraged, although that company might wish it would be so discouraged here.

As for the game, I've seen the polls on this and the Civ Fanatics Forums. Even though most people displeased with the game have already left in frustration, the polls clearly still show very significant dissatisfaction with the game - a game I've been playing for months (so it can't be too bad!).

On Civ. Fan. Forum, a recent poll asked, which is better? Civ 2 or Civ 3? Even though, again, most critics are gone playing something else, Civ 2 received 31% of the vote - an incredibly high number for a game over five years older than Civ 3 - five years being a lifetime in computer gaming terms.

So, fanboys, rave on. The verdict is in. Civ 3? Not a bad game, but a very flawed and disappointing beta game filled with stuff we never wanted (Culture Flipping) and missing stuff we DID want (scenario building). And that's the way it is.
Old April 13, 2002, 22:59   #11
PatLasch
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:57
I'm not a fanboy, or a shill. I just don't see the point of proselytizing amongst people who are just looking for information. Instead of posting this in a thread about right of passage agreements or trade questions, I made a separate thread. Why not limit the complaints to threads that are talking about them. And praise to threads that talk about them. That way they're easily found? Anyone can read the thread topic complaints about civ3 and know what it's about. Why should someone go into a thread and be faced with what may be valid complaints, when all they wanted was an answer to a question? I have my own problems with the game, and I'm not really defending Firaxis or flaming anyone. I'm just pointing out a trend that I see. And it's a trend that I don't like. I also wanted to see if others agreed with me. So please, don't call me a flaming fanboy, or a shill unless you know who I am.

P.S. Coracle, where was I insulting?
Old April 13, 2002, 23:08   #12
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 17:57
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Coracle
I see the insulting flaming Firaxis fanboys are back. [quote]

Yes, I love gross generalizations and stereotyping, don't you?

Quote:
This is NOT the Official Firaxis Shills forum. It is an open forum independent from Firaxis where discussion about the game and Firaxis' questionable policies is not discouraged, although that company might wish it would be so discouraged here.
Yes, it is. That's why people are making an appeal on the decency of people like yourself to stop threadjacking and post relevent comments. Just a request, from one poster to another...

Quote:
As for the game, I've seen the polls on this and the Civ Fanatics Forums. Even though most people displeased with the game have already left in frustration, the polls clearly still show very significant dissatisfaction with the game - a game I've been playing for months (so it can't be too bad!).
The fact that many people are dissatisfied with the game should not be a reason to flame and rant on the threads posted that aren't about hating Civ3.

Quote:
So, fanboys, rave on. The verdict is in. Civ 3? Not a bad game, but a very flawed and disappointing beta game filled with stuff we never wanted (Culture Flipping) and missing stuff we DID want (scenario building). And that's the way it is.
Yes. That's your opinion, you're welcome to it, but it's not my verdict and I request you to stop treating yourself like you're God's gift to Apolyton. Let people who wish to post opinions other than your own in peace. Novel idea, yes?
Old April 15, 2002, 06:49   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 00:57
lets discuss about the game and not discuss the discussions about the game, shall we?