Old April 8, 2001, 22:23   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 17:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Firaxis' cure for ICS
OK, so nobody else stated a topic on this, I will.

The old settler units have been divided, into terrain enhancing workers, and city founding settlers. Workers will take 1 pop point to build.

Settlers will take 2 pop from your city to build. they say this is to discourage the ICS that is civ's answer to the RTS tank rush.

what are the problems we can forsee with this? can our vets forsee using ICS anyway?

I myself am kind of ticked off about having to take 2 heads from my city to found another city. will my new city start out with 2 heads?
HEY! Wait a minute! If new cities start out with 2 heads,and they eliminate the free square, then ICS is dead, and you still have the same basic starting conditions.

I started out hating the idea, now I've talked myself into loving it.

but it all depends on how they work it.
Old April 8, 2001, 22:37   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:51
We've been discussing this .

I think in the new city, you get 2 free heads, one being the city square. So you give up 2 for 2... ICS seems to be officially dead.
Old April 9, 2001, 01:55   #3
Father Beast
King

quote:

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui on 04-08-2001 10:37 PM
We've been discussing this .

WHERE!
it takes about 10 seconds for each page to load, so I don't have time to read everything on this forum!
Old April 9, 2001, 02:14   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 20:51
I will go on record here as saying: ICS is NOT dead! The basic priciple of scattering cities everywhere will STILL apply. Of course, it will be a little slower and a little less effective than it is now...perhaps even significantly so.

Its biggest effects, of course, will be in the early game, and this is indeed very welcome in one sense. But unless other areas are made to compensate, we could also be left a VERY slow early game...which might or might not be to people's liking. One good effect of the slower start, though, is the computer might have a much better chance early on, which has a potential host of good side-effects in and of itself.

By the mid- to late-game, however, you can expect people to be 'booming' (ICS-ing) as they always have with very little changes overall. So what if my size 18 city drops to 16 so I can start a new city? There's virtually no reason NOT to do so (unless there are other factors at work here we haven't been told). This might add just a bit more strategy as the WHEN to ICS, but the necessity to ICS (at least against a human player) is still with us.

So before people start jumping up and down that ICS is dead, I'd merely like to point out that given what we know, ICS has has been made a bit more stratetic instead of merely automatic. Still, it's a move in the right direction. This coupled with some other modifiers might make empire building far more challenging. Let's see.
[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old April 9, 2001, 02:20   #5
Father Beast
King

OK, Imran, I found it
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/Forum...002475.html?38

further discussion to be had over there...