View Poll Results: Do you change the ingame music of Civ3?
Yes 13 31.71%
No 17 41.46%
I would, but I don't know how! 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15, 2002, 23:31   #1
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Do you change the ingame music of Civ3?
The ingame music of Civ 3 can be at times annoying, or inappropriate (at least in the Industrial and Modern eras anyway), and so the easy solution to this is to change it.

How many of you like to change your ingame music? (and to what?) And how many actually don't care?
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 15, 2002, 23:41   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I actually like most of the music...if it's something that's bad I'll usually tune it out, so there's no need for me to do it.
Old April 15, 2002, 23:59   #3
Il Duce
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:02
Some nice Classical
It may just be me but I play better while listening to some modern classical.
Old April 16, 2002, 00:03   #4
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 18:02
i was planning something extravagant for my 100th post... but this will suffice

i dont listen to my Civ3 music anymore... ever since about when 1.16 came out, ive just shut the music off on...well, most of my games, and listened to CD's and the radio

woo! warlord!
Old April 16, 2002, 00:37   #5
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 15:02
Yes I change it.

I change it to OFF.

Mostly I have the television on at the same time. The History Channel is a good choice to go with the game. Have the Laker game on at the moment.
Old April 16, 2002, 01:18   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:02
Off. I usually have a CD playing in the background (no, not the Civ3 CD ).
Old April 16, 2002, 01:26   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 19:02
Occasionally, I play something else if I get tired of the game music, but usually it doesn't bother me.
Old April 16, 2002, 01:33   #8
Theodrik
Chieftain

Music
Most of the tunes aren't as bad as Civ II, but It annoys me that I have to have the CIV III disc in the drive. With Civ II, I'd start the game with a music CD in and listen to most of those tunes instead of the continual thump-thump.
Old April 16, 2002, 02:22   #9
TechWins
King

Local Time: 16:02
Theodrik, go to gamecopyworld.com and you can get the hacked exe for Civ3 so you don't have to have the game in the CD Rom at any point in time. *You must have winace in order to exract the file, jus to let you know.

To the question, I almost never listen to the in-game music. I typically use winamp or listen to a CD. The bands that I have listend to most while playing Civ3 have been Metallica, Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182, and Puddle of Mudd. Also, cheers to JEW (a local Arizona band) For me a lot of bands reprsent the game I was playing while listening to the music, such as Linkin Park represents EU. So whenever I hear Linkin Park I typically think of EU.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old April 16, 2002, 02:54   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:02
I find that winamp has a much better selection of songs that suit my taste...

@ TechWins

Thats similar to me, most games I remember based on the songs I continuously played at the time. I hear a song on the radio, and suddenly I'm playing that game in my head again, even if the last time I played that game was over a decade ago (I started early).
Old April 16, 2002, 02:58   #11
Grrr
King

What like Rammstein - Du Hast = Hexen II.

Damn, I sold both of those CDs .
Old April 16, 2002, 04:17   #12
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 00:02
I think the ingame music is really nice, and I never change it. However, it could get a little annoying when you hear the same tune for the 100th time in a game...
Speaking about music, one melody that I really miss is the intro to the first Civ! You know, the panning through space and finally the great title "Sid Meier's Civilization" comes up with the classic "ta-da-da" melody at loud volume! I'd hope someone could piff up that old melody a little bit, cause I think that intro was much better than both the one in Civ II and Civ III. Any comments?
Old April 16, 2002, 08:18   #13
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
I use winamp to play it, but i added the music from Civ2, TOT Imperialism, AOE, and others...

Btw i want to make a request, i lost my "Civ2 Scenarios" CD (an old expansion pack) and i don´t remember if it´s music was different from Civ2, if it is, can somebody please send me a big zip (with the music only) via ICQ or post it somewhere? Thanks.
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old April 16, 2002, 09:37   #14
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 23:02
I turn the music off and turn winamp on. Because I have Windows2000 I can get both sounds at the same time. And that with any program. Nothing beats playin CS with heavy metal, imo.

Spec.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:00   #15
tishco
Prince

i find the civ3 music good on ancient, medieval boring but ok, industrial good, but the modern is the most cheesy rubbishi have heard
i prefer civ 2 music to be honest, but i leant the cd to someone who has lost it and i have unistalled the game
formerlyanon@hotmail.com
Old April 16, 2002, 10:10   #16
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 19:02
The music is good. I just find the modern age music, um, inappropriate. It seems odd to me to roll over towns with modern armor while Kenny G is playing in the background. If I'm building, it's not as bad.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:30   #17
Flanker
Warlord

I seem to be one of the few that actually like the modern age music... Dunk999 has a point, it´s not the best "war" music, but that isn´t Beethoven either. Should be better with Wagner or something more equipped with war if it has to be classical music. However, I enjoy the modern age music while building and managing my civ, it is an easy listening SimCity-type of music.
Old April 16, 2002, 12:49   #18
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Well, my new speakers haven't arrived yet so I have no idea what the Civ3 music sounds like, but until then I put on my ever-so-cool Lord of the Rings movie soundtrack.

Edit: Wahoo! enough posts for a custom avatar!
Old April 16, 2002, 15:37   #19
Grrr
King

Someone switched the MP3's around on my computer at school (no I shouldn't be playing Civ at school), so now my armies sing along to Kenny G, I think.
Old April 16, 2002, 15:59   #20
MyOlde
Prince

I turned the music off when I first loaded the game. I've never understood what music had to do with any game I was playing.

I do have my own music selections playing on my stereo. But not as part of a game.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:17   #21
Grrr
King

A bit like the opening video, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with Civ3 either.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:55   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i blast MP3s and leave trillian on so i can still talk during the 5 minute periods between moves.

i blast:
  • spineshank
  • korn
  • adema
  • metallica
  • soundgarden
  • nofx
  • mxpx
  • pennywise
  • weezer
  • wallflowers
  • some techno / house
  • 3DD
  • A Perfect Circle
  • Alice Cooper
  • Alice in Chains
  • Alien Ant Farm
  • The Ataris
  • Atari Teenage Riot
  • Beastie Boys
  • Black Sabbath
  • Blink 182
  • Bush
  • Gorilliaz
  • Linkin Park
  • Fear Factory
  • Fenx TX
  • Eve 6
  • Daft Punk
  • Deftones
  • Crossbreed
  • Rammstein
  • KMFDM
  • Hendrix
  • Zeppelin
  • Rob Zombie
  • Powerman 5000
  • System of a Down
  • Liquid Gang
  • Mudvayne
  • New Found Glory
  • NIN
  • Nickelback
  • Nonpoint
  • Orgy
  • POD
  • Puddle of Mudd
  • ... etc
Old April 16, 2002, 19:58   #23
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
The music is good. I just find the modern age music, um, inappropriate. It seems odd to me to roll over towns with modern armor while Kenny G is playing in the background. If I'm building, it's not as bad.
So, so true. Anyway, its that point of the game when I am most aggressive, so to me its inappropriate all the time.

What I like to do is get music out of other games (especially C&C, Red Alert, etc.) and use that. Now my modern armour rolling into a shelled city with the Red Alert Hell March in the background sure is something else.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 16, 2002, 20:09   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

hell march is a classic. i have soem remixes
Old April 16, 2002, 20:24   #25
Tuberski

I play when My girlfriend is sleeping, so I wasn't even aware that Civ3 had sound and music.

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 17, 2002, 07:02   #26
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
I play when My girlfriend is sleeping, so I wasn't even aware that Civ3 had sound and music.

Well I have something similar: my baby girl is sleaping next door!

But when I am all alone at home playing civ I leave the original music on. But that rarely happens....
Old April 17, 2002, 11:47   #27
ahenobarb
Prince

I think the music for the industrial age is good. The piano piece sounds a lot like W.A.Mozart's K. 466. I just started listening to the music included with Civ III, so I haven't reached the modern Era music yet, but the others were good.

As for CDs to listen to: It's a no-brainer Peter Gabriel - Passion, after that Passion Sources, also the Black Hawk Down soundtrack.
Old April 17, 2002, 19:31   #28
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
I think the music for the industrial age is good. The piano piece sounds a lot like W.A.Mozart's K. 466. I just started listening to the music included with Civ III, so I haven't reached the modern Era music yet, but the others were good.
Personally, I think the Industrial age music is boring, and the piano piece sounds a bit off. Ancient and medieval eras sound nice enough (particularly the Colonial America sort of tune in the middle-ages). But that's just my opinion.

As for modern era music, its actually quite nice. One of the pieces has a Spanish guitar and saxophone, and sounds kind of like a Kenny G piece. But niceness isn't one of my traits when I reach modern era. Since that is when the best technology is available, I tend to raise my aggression to something a lot higher than even Shaka. Kenny G isn't all that appropriate when you have modern armour rolling into a badly shelled city you just pummelled. But again, just my opinion.
Old April 17, 2002, 20:30   #29
Jawa Jocky
Prince

the soundtrack to "Oh brother where art thou"
Old April 19, 2002, 09:23   #30
ahenobarb
Prince

Not even the irony is good enough to keep listening to the "kenny G" stuff? (I still haven't heard it yet, I haven't had a chance to play in a few days).

It might be funny. Like listening to the Seasame Street theme while rolling over a couple cities with bombers and tanks.

"Hey, Bert. Why'd you bomb all those cities Bert?"