Old April 3, 2001, 10:53   #1
drake
King

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Just a little suggestion for multiplayer
Probably not a big issue for most people, but what I would like to see is when you have to enter the host's IP address, you have to cut and paste in the numbers every time you play. What I'd like to see is that when you begin typing an IP number, a list of "visited" IP addresses drop down to choose from, much like in our internet browsers. This will save the hassle of the host repeatedly sending everyone the IP every time a connection is needed. It's far from essential, I just know personally that I hate needing to contact the host evry time I want to connect or vice versa.

It might just be me who cares about this, but it's the little things that make things better.......

Also some sort of indicator of connection strength for the host would be nice, so you could see who's lagging the group down
Old April 10, 2001, 15:26   #2
drake
King

apparently I am the only one that has a lot of technical problems while playing multiplayer games
Old April 10, 2001, 15:48   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I think that AutoFill the IP is a good thing, but there is still a lot more you can do to make this easier for the players: How about favorite hosts that you set up and save in the game. Than when setting up a game with players you are used to play with you just has to click and that host alias in your computer and IP, you player name and other things you need to set every time will be auto filled.

When speaking of standard connections, wouldn’t it be good with standard game setups as well. If you want a customized map and Civ, how long does it take to fill it in every time you start. What if you could preset some game types here to. Just click "Start Predefined Game" and select the game from a list and click start instead of filling in you Civ name, leader name map size, age of world, titles, rules, difficulty level and every thing else.
Old April 10, 2001, 16:08   #4
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:51

No, you're not the only one! I've also cursed the fact that you have to keep cutting and pasting; and the thing that really annoys me is that you can't CTRL/C it from WINIPCFG when you're hosting a game -- so there's absolutely no option but to write the thing down with old fashioned pencil and paper, then enter it somewhere, then CTRL/C it!

And every time you lose the connection you have to paste it in again. At the very least, as you say, there should be a drop-down list so you can easily get back to a recently-accessed IP.

Old April 10, 2001, 16:14   #5
drake
King

Ok, I am a bit more relieved now. I just would like the entire host connection thing to be smoother and easier (and of course faster!)

I'd also like to know why some times after you pick your civ to play, the map loads for other players while you're still staring at the "waiting to connect sign" and you never actually "join" the game.....definetly a buggy that needs killin'
Old April 10, 2001, 16:15   #6
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:51
quote:

Originally posted by vgriph on 04-10-2001 03:48 PM
How about favorite hosts that you set up and save in the game. Than when setting up a game with players you are used to play with you just has to click and that host alias in your computer and IP, you player name and other things you need to set every time will be auto filled.

I like the idea, but I don't think it'll always work, because many ISP's assign temporary IP's each time you connect (there's a proper name for this, but I can't remember it...). That's my situation: each time I connect, the first 2 numbers are the same - 62.64 - but the last 2 are always different.

quote:

What if you could preset some game types here to. Just click "Start Predefined Game" and select the game from a list and click start instead of filling in you Civ name, leader name map size, age of world, titles, rules, difficulty level and every thing else.

Yes, I like this! That would be a really useful facility to have.

Old April 10, 2001, 16:17   #7
ChrisShaffer
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
Probably one of the reasons you haven't gotten replies on this is that so many of us aren't interested in playing direct connect multiplayer by IP or otherwise. Instead, we're hoping for a better model for asynchronous play than the current PBEM system.
Old April 11, 2001, 10:05   #8
drake
King

Do you have any threads on this Chris? I'd love to see what kind of suggestions are being thrown out for this area.....
Old April 11, 2001, 10:57   #9
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:51
quote:

Originally posted by drake on 04-11-2001 10:05 AM
Do you have any threads on this Chris? I'd love to see what kind of suggestions are being thrown out for this area.....

Yes! Chris and me tried to convince Firaxis and Apolyton community (with so and so success ) about the merit of solo and multiplayer
Simultaneous turn of game into a list of Essential Civ III improvement.

You can find others posts into the same or very similar line, starting from there and searching about multiplayer.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant