Old April 20, 2002, 18:33   #31
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'll play next.

and I think its Chrimeria.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:43   #32
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

here's the game
Attached Files:
File Type: sav antigonos 200bc.sav (219.6 KB, 2 views)
Old April 21, 2002, 19:02   #33
Andemagne
King

here's what I have done:

*conquered four new cities, lost olbia
(it was burned to the ground by barbarians)
*captured four new slaves.
*discovered about 10 new techs.
(only syrians have techs(2) that we don't have)
*spended lots of money
(bribed every scythian I could find, their attack value is 10)
*the highway now connects all of our cities on
the continent except sodaq and those 2 new
cities in the north.
*used caravans to help build euklides
elements to pella and started 2 new trade routs.
*ended those silly odysseia's in illyria and dacia

first i conquered those two cities in the north
(which BTW had both a wonder in them),
then turned my greedy eyes towards those
rich cities on the coast of asia minor (ionia).
our power is now Strong.

BTW how do you stop/end a food trade rout?
just asking 'cos 2 of our cities are starving
because of they are exporting food.

Last edited by Andemagne; April 22, 2002 at 10:33.
Old April 21, 2002, 22:55   #34
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A food trade route must be replaced by a commodity route.

I have the save game - alas, it is bedtime, so I will continue our conquest of the world tomorrow evening.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 22, 2002, 13:02   #35
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:05
La Fayette - the english is Crimea -- shades of the Crimean War with Florence Nightingale inventing statistics - or something of that sort ...

SG[1]
Old April 22, 2002, 18:05   #36
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 00:05
Nightingale,...such a melodious name flying over such a bloodbath...
Truly, if you remove the final 'a', what is left is 'crime'...
Old April 23, 2002, 00:25   #37
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:05
waxing poetic
King Antigonus Sodak II ascended to the throne of mighty Macedonia in the glorious year of 200bc. The king decided to nap.

Upon awakening, King Sodak II looked over his kingdom. He decided to purge anatolia of enemies. In the first years of his reign, many brave young fighters were trained in the arts of killing foreigners. Marching in on the LaFayette highway, they went forth, raining pain and suffering upon all in their path. 12 cities fell under our swords, coming close to reaching the king's lofty goal. We now share a blood-stained border with Syria. Border fortifications are held, albeit thinly. More units will be needed to further our expansion... We also bribed the barbarian city on cyprus, which proved fruitful. Tho two units have died, they pillaged the Syrian mainland and killed numerous evil Syrians.

During the early years, the king discovered a key to frontier defense; the red-shielded fellows so hell-bent on killing us always spawn from the same tiles. If we park a militia unit on that tile, they do not return. Before being able to subdue the Scythians to the north, bribing them was essential to defense - nearly bankrupting the kingdom during a particularly large uprising. Several slave detachments were butchered, causing the abandonment of the northern highway project.

We lag behind the Syrians by 3 techs, but two should soon be ours - we have a spy and an army advancing on Parge. We are just a turn or two away from completing Marius' Army Reform (Leo's Workshop).

Our coffers are once again filled with plundered gold. Just as his great-grandfather before him, king Sodak II retired to spend his final days in Sodaq. His military glory will be sung of for generations!
Attached Files:
File Type: sav an_b180.sav (219.6 KB, 4 views)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 23, 2002, 03:29   #38
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

OK M le Marquis - King Sgi II is enthroned - let's see if I can find time for 20 moves this time ...
May I have 48 hours?

SG[1]
Old April 23, 2002, 03:30   #39
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Great story - will look at the game in a couple of hours ...

SG[1]
Old April 23, 2002, 07:14   #40
Andemagne
King

12 cities, quite a catch. way to go!
Old April 23, 2002, 15:23   #41
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

This is fast becoming another monster like the Crusades! Nearly four hours for my first two moves - should go quicker now ...

Interim Report 175BC

Unfortunately our spy was captured by the merciless thugs of Pharge - all of whom were put to the sword by our victorious armies. However, troops are thin on the ground and this is so far the extent of our military victories.
However, following in his grandfather's footsteps, Sgi II has concentrated on the economy -- enthralled by the writings of Marx and quite impressed by his brother Sgii's researches into celebrating communists the Kingdom is now making more money, and more science with a luxury rate of 40% -- soon we hope to be lowered.
A program of extensive building of Judgement Halls has reaped great rewards, but the promise of Marius' Army Reforms has, thus far, been disappointing - the only upgrade being the trasition of Galleys into Quadriremes - useful, but hardly world shattering -- maybe later upgrades will be more fun.
Our friends and allies have been most generous in their offerings for our warchest - about 3,000g to date and more no doubt to come - this has funded our building programme and allowed a few stalwart Phalanx IIIs to be rushed -- thereby stabilising the Syrian Marches. As we approach Antioch the Syrian Horde is becoming quite aggressive and militaristically advanced - almost a decent show by AI.
The war continues ...
Old April 24, 2002, 11:11   #42
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
should go quicker now ...
Dreamer!!!

I managed to slog it on to 165BC - try and tap our peaceful friends next turn (164) I got:
172: 1450g
170: 1450g
168: 850g
166: 700g

On top of the ~3,000 reported earlier.
Economy bouyant - 67g profit / turn without trade advances @ 18 turns without trade.

Antioch is within our grasp!!!

Good luck, SG[1]
Attached Files:
File Type: sav an_b165.sav (219.8 KB, 3 views)
Old April 24, 2002, 12:09   #43
La Fayette
King

If no one else feels like taking care of the monster, I shall play tomorrow.

(La Fayette, looking greedily at a monster)
Old April 24, 2002, 12:24   #44
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
Go ahead Lafayette, I'm lost in the crusades, the invasion of earth and some hut testing
I'm not sure I'll be able to join this one.
But the Apolyton team is doing real great
Old April 24, 2002, 18:57   #45
Andemagne
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits
I managed to slog it on to 165BC - try and tap our peaceful friends next turn (164) I got:
172: 1450g
170: 1450g
168: 850g
166: 700g
what the *ell is going on?!?!
Old April 25, 2002, 02:05   #46
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Sorry Andy -- a trick I found quite successful when playing OCC was to apply to all peaceful and allied Civs for tribute or gifts every other turn - alternating with requests for maps which the AI seems to take as a very peaceful gesture -- in this game although they will have nothing to do with map exchanges - I suspect the Map Making slot is actually unused - they can be persuaded to be quite generous on the gifting turns - that lot cost me two techs (requested by the Egyptians to retain the alliance - which they finally repealed anyway) and I think was well worth it - I would say that conservatively I extracted about 8,000g from them in my 15 turns ...

SG[1]
Old April 25, 2002, 08:54   #47
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The Great Siege of Tarsos
It was in the dawn of 180BC that brave Macedonian Phalanxes descended from the mountains of Asia Minor to the plains of Syria and siezed the vital fortification to the North West of the proud Syrian city of Tarsos, the Western bastion of the greatest Empire the world had ever seen ...

Last edited by Scouse Gits; April 25, 2002 at 09:43.
Old April 25, 2002, 08:57   #48
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The Great Siege of Tarsos #2
Within two years the mighty Syrian war machine had been mobilised to repel this incursion, but the Macedonian forces stiffened by a Phalanx II from the military city of Sparta were ready for the onslaught.

The fortress held for three years, whilst wave after wave of Syrians broke against our defences and were routed by our great General and his Battering Rams. Only the Barrack facility at Mazaca was able to keep our troops in the field for each year our losses mounted as the assaults became more deadly.
Finally, the tide turned for in 175 our first Phalanx III arrived, fitingly again it was a Spartan levy that reached the front just in time to turn away another fearsome assault by the now desperate Syrians ...

Last edited by Scouse Gits; April 25, 2002 at 09:41.
Old April 25, 2002, 08:58   #49
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

The Great Siege of Tarsos #3
With our fortification secure it was the turn of the Shadows - skilled infiltrators posing as Noblewomen, Courtesans and Ladies of the Night - to do their worst upon the evil Syrian.

Their losses were expected to be high for the Syrian was wary and their target was none other than the great wall of the city itself, but finally we were ready - all our units were in place - the clock was ticking ...
They say no battle plan survives contact with the enemy. Just as our forces were about to advance the Syrian concluded a marine landing, reinforced the garrison and seemed to have limitless troops advancing from his hinterland. Even more threatening, the marine landing was supported by a pair of Quinqueremes, the mightiest sea borne engine of destruction ever seen in the Great Sea.

Our General hesitated, but his Haruspex, a descendant of Gitus Scousae the great Macedonian commander of earlier years urged him forward - the assault must go ahead! The Shadows were dispatched.
The first failed and a Syrian commander waved her head from the battlements in defiance. But his laughter was short lived, for even as he flourished his bloody trophy - the walls fell!
"Forward, my children!", cried the Haruspex and the prevaricating General washed clean his honour by being the first to perish on the unyielding spears of the defending Phalanxes. His sacrifice was not in vain - this opened a gap in the defences and our forces were triumphant. No fewer than five Syrian units were garrisoning the city, but it suffered no population loss before a Schythian horse plunged through the fallen gates and claimed the city for Macedonia!
Our troops had done well, but had not yet done enough, the might of Syria had to delayed or else the unwalled city garrisoned only by Cavalry would itself fall with ease. The Syrian supply line had to be cut. An amphibious landing from Crete was able to sieze the vital fortress on the Tarsos - Antioch road. We were secure from land attack. Could we now survive the Quinqueremes?

Last edited by Scouse Gits; April 25, 2002 at 10:17.
Old April 25, 2002, 13:27   #50
La Fayette
King

People running along the main avenues of downtown Pella:
'What happened to King sgiII the Great, who gave us Tarsos and many years of glory ? Our new leader bears the name of a department store! Can we trust him?'
La Fayette replied:
'The equal of king sgiII the Great I certainly cannot be, but I shall try to be as fair as Jospin, as tricky as Chirac, as ruthless as Le Pen and bring you as far as I can on the glorious highway of welfare and warfare'.
Old April 25, 2002, 16:15   #51
Julius Brenzaida
King

Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
LaFayette, you would make a better president than any of them, for sure
Scouse Gits, great, great story
Old April 26, 2002, 19:27   #52
Andemagne
King

yesterday when I played my own game of this scenario and
a weird thing happened. two of my galleys sunk when they
were on one tile island(malta in this case).
have anybody else encountered anything similar?

and: Great Story SG!
Old April 26, 2002, 20:22   #53
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 18:05
If the galley is anything like a trireme in regular Civ2, it will have a chance of sinking whenever it has ocean squares on all 8 sides of it. This would include a 1 square island. That's computers for you!

I managed to avoid the problem by never putting my triremes inside the 1 square island city - maybe that will work for you too.

Also, let me add my kudos to your story, SG's. Very good use of screenshots to make the battle come to life. If my turn comes around again on the 'Invasion', I'm definitely going to try that.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 27, 2002, 06:22   #54
La Fayette
King

164BC to 147BC
After the heroic battle of Tarsos, victoriously fought by King sgiII and brilliantly told by his scribe, the opinion of General La Fayette is that the Syrians need to be punished.

Several decisions are taken:
1) Build engineers (we have only two of them, and we need a top level transportation system);
2) Use our slaves as baits north of Appolonia, in order to bribe some of those wonderful Scythian horsemen (the game spells Schithians but I suppose it should be Scythians, since we spell 'Scythes' in french);
3) Use our battering rams as mini-howitzers on the highway and consider them as consumption goods (don't care about losses since they are so cheap).
4) Explore the western part of the map with celt warriors (who are some kind of cheap alpine troops).

Results obtained:
16 proud Syrian cities turn Macedonian, in following order:
Trapezus, Tigranocerta, Arbela, Samarra, Seleucia, Kabir, Babylon, Susa, Lagash, Nisibis, Samawan, Bandar, Antiochia (1000 gold in plunder ), Edessa, Dura Europos, Damascos.
This means that the Syrian civ who used to be #1 on the powergraph is now as weak as a chicken.
I stop in 147, in order to give to the next leader (Andemagne?) the pleasure to take Jerusalem and some other fine remnants of the previously strong Syrian Empire.

Details
1) Tribute
Egypt preferred war as soon as 164BC, but Rome and Carthage went on contributing to our wealth for a total of 3150 gold in 18 years .
2) Casualties
We lost 34 battering rams + 25 other units, destroying 165 Syrian units (could have been much better if I had decided to take care, but I just went on as a ruthless conqueror ).
3) Egyptian fear
We meet Egyptian troops south of Damascos in 147. They seem to remember that they used to pay tribute and give us 900 gold for a cease fire .
Old April 27, 2002, 06:24   #55
La Fayette
King

Here is the save
Attached Files:
File Type: zip an_b147.zip (53.8 KB, 5 views)
Old April 27, 2002, 18:38   #56
Andemagne
King

ok, I'll play next.

thanks for the tip STYOM
Old April 28, 2002, 04:43   #57
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Great turn La Fayette - the Empire prospers ...
Old April 30, 2002, 08:29   #58
Andemagne
King

sorry, I did not after all have time to play yesterday,
and today is may day eve, biggest partying day of
the year here where I live, tomorrow is the infamous
day after and I have logics exam on friday, so could
somebody take this turn. please.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:14   #59
La Fayette
King

Why not a new player, among those who read this thread?
Come on guys! Don't be shamefaced!
Old April 30, 2002, 11:06   #60
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Excellent idea

Come on you lurkers ...

SG[1]