Old April 17, 2002, 02:34   #1
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 15:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Am I the only one...
...Who doesn't like to end the game? I mean, By the time the endings are met, it isn't like there is any real challange. Let's not even talk about domination via war or culture, as those are just like the UN "You've won the game and didn't even know it" options. Also, The space race is just tedious; if someone gets too close to me, I can always just go to war with them, or steal a city...

Basicaly, there hits a point where I become the biggest, baddes dude in the world, and nothing can really match me. Sure, they might stay close in science, but I can _always_ out produce them. And size _does_ matter; I can get the luxuries and keep my populpous happy. Hell, worst case senario, I can buy them, and with enough income (late game), I can set my luxury rate up and keep the population happy...

What I would love to see as a counter to all this, is a continuing game, or make domination hard. Perhaps any city with a coruption rate of 50% or more has a chance of flipping or breaking off. What if I had to fight to maintain my empire at every turn, that would reduce late game tedium...

Just a thought...

Remember the World Trade Center
Old April 17, 2002, 04:54   #2
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Try moving up to emperor or deity. It´s just as boring, but you´ll get your ass whipped...
Old April 17, 2002, 05:41   #3
Ethelred
King

Quote:
...Who doesn't like to end the game?
I have seen this abberation before. There are pills for this sort of behaviour. Its best though to just accept that you won and then start another game.

The beginning of the game is more fun anyway. I want better catapults so I can have some serious Ancient Era wall busting. Of course that would mean I would have to quit being such a wimp in the early game.
Old April 17, 2002, 07:36   #4
campmajor!
Prince

Local Time: 00:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yep, I have experienced that as well. In civ2 it seemed that different games had different outcomes and felt different.

In civ3 all games look alike....
Old April 17, 2002, 08:45   #5
Pyrodrew
Prince

Re: Am I the only one...
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory
What I would love to see as a counter to all this, is a continuing game, or make domination hard. Perhaps any city with a coruption rate of 50% or more has a chance of flipping or breaking off. What if I had to fight to maintain my empire at every turn, that would reduce late game tedium...
Just a thought...
I would find flipping cities just annoying, even culture flipping cities some don't like.

Instead, I would prefer my competition to try to unite to stop me in the late game to balance the power. Not necessarily all Civs becoming allies to declare war on me, but something (embargoes or MPPs or MAs, whatever) so that the player that is winning (usually the human) doesn't have an easy win that takes forever to obtain. Right now AI Civs seem more interested in getting a good deal rather than on trying to win the game.