View Poll Results: how many more patches?
Zero 9 16.07%
1 13 23.21%
2 10 17.86%
3 6 10.71%
4 0 0%
5 7 12.50%
other (discuss in thread) 2 3.57%
bananna or strawberry 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 18, 2002, 01:39   #1
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 18:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How many more patches should we expect from the Firaxis crew?
How many more patches should we expect from the firaxis crew? This is not a matter of how many you think that Civ 3 needs, but how many you predict Firaxis will supply.
I will start things off with a modest guess of one more patch, i figure they have to have already started the XP, so I'm sure they want to switch over more resources to that front.
Old April 18, 2002, 01:50   #2
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:11
What's that insulting strawberry doing here! Get rid.

I expect another 1 or 2.
Old April 18, 2002, 01:52   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:11
I'd give them 1, maybe 2 max before they start working primarily on the XP.
Old April 18, 2002, 02:00   #4
N. Machiavelli
Prince

Local Time: 00:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1 or 2 more "Patches". After that we start paying for them and they become "Expansions".
Old April 18, 2002, 02:47   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'd say 2, depending on any problems the herds of cats can find in this one and the next. It appears they want the basics covered and have a final game before they start adding chrome. Good plan.

Of course, this may be it. They may feel that the basics have been covered now. Maybe yes, maybe no, anything is possible.
Old April 18, 2002, 02:48   #6
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I voted for 5 because thats how many we will need. At least two more to get the game into playable shape for a beta. One after that to begin to implement, finally, some new concepts into the game and eliminate the awful ones...like culture. Two more after that for balance and maybe, just maybe, we will have something approximating a quality release.

Then they can start working on multiplay.

Anything less than five more patches and Civ3 will remain what it is now, an embarassing amatuer offering.
Old April 18, 2002, 02:50   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A troll is a troll is a troll.
Old April 18, 2002, 03:27   #8
Grrr
King

The point is if they keep giving buggy patches, they keep being obligated to make another. If they were to give a patch which worked straight out on all computers they could stop.
Old April 18, 2002, 03:35   #9
notyoueither
Deity

Yes Grrr!!, you are right. QA is something that is always good. I guess it just depends on how you say it. Is it a valid observation which contributes to a discussion, or is it a troll?
Old April 18, 2002, 04:17   #10
Grrr
King

NYE: I'm a tad confused by your post.
Old April 18, 2002, 05:06   #11
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

I´d say only one more. Most of the buggy stuff is fixed and I don´t think Firaxis will devote any more time and resources to this project now. They´re probably busy working with the MP-expansion.
Old April 18, 2002, 05:29   #12
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:11
One and two, and even MORE after the XP.
Why!

Since there will be bugs which will be common to both XP and standard game.

So they'll make patch for both.
Old April 18, 2002, 06:46   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:11
As many as it takes to silence / kill / remove the Domestic Nag!!
Old April 18, 2002, 08:04   #14
nato
Prince

I am still voting zero ... looks like I am the only one so far.

I believe the fact that they made a beta team shows they are working on the XP or something that will make money, not a free patch. They never used beta teams for anything else before.

I am on the pessimistic side in rl though.

edit: Really though, what cause for optimism has Firaxis given us?

I know, I know, they did make patches ... but considering the way those have gone, I'm not too sure they are a cause for optimism...

The Firaxis WALL OF SILENCE (TM) just doesn't give any reason for faith.
Old April 18, 2002, 08:35   #15
The Rook
Warlord

I have to say we are coming close to the end. Most of 1.21 is editor additions/fixes. The editor isn't really "part" of the game as you can play Civ3 without it.
Old April 18, 2002, 09:23   #16
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by nato
The Firaxis WALL OF SILENCE (TM) just doesn't give any reason for faith.

Wake up! they're all over these boards.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
I voted for 5 because thats how many we will need. At least two more to get the game into playable shape for a beta. One after that to begin to implement, finally, some new concepts into the game and eliminate the awful ones...like culture. Two more after that for balance and maybe, just maybe, we will have something approximating a quality release.
I think some people just come here to post negative things and don't bother finding out the truth.

Oh, by the way I voted bananas because I have no idea until I get to see this patch.
Old April 19, 2002, 05:16   #17
Coracle
Prince

And some people come here and post mindlessly positive things becasue they are not interested in the truth.

I voted for an Infinite Number of patches - at least until they try to stick us with Civ 4, MP, XP, Scenarios, or some other beta product.
Old April 19, 2002, 05:20   #18
Grrr
King

Coracle. Of course. They're gonna suck all the money out of us they can get. And they will probably give patches to give the impression that Civ III has become better since it's release to counter some nasty reviews.
Old April 19, 2002, 05:40   #19
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

I seriously doubt an infinite number of patches. Firaxis has no doubt better things to do than to patch CIV3 in absurdum.

We will probably just see one more patch, then it´s expansion time. The expansion may contain a few minor changes like Alien Crossfire did.
Old April 19, 2002, 06:10   #20
notyoueither
Deity

Grrr!! read jt's post, then mine, then yours, then mine...

Now my money really is on 2 more. Even more is revealed that things are a work in progress. Mike is doing well with the editor, but much remains to be done.

And to the people who can't be satisfied that this game is being supported by the designers, unlike so many other games, pfff, you are too stupid to know what is what so you are too stupid not to be on an ignore list.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:50   #21
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think the number of patches will depend on how ambitious the XP changes will be. If the XP is a virtual re-design a la SMAC/SMACX it may take much longer to code therfore we may expect one or possibly two more patches. If the XP is just surface changes such as more units, civs, etc I wouldnt expect any more patches.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 19, 2002, 09:41   #22
nato
Prince

Quote:
Wake up! they're all over these boards.

I know that you are the resident Champion Defender (TM pending) ... but are you serious? "All over"?

If the Firaxis guys are really here on their free time, then any time they spend here at all is very cool ... but I still don't think you could call it "all over".

In any event, I am really talking about official communication ... I don't think it is remarkable to say that we don't hear much from Firaxis.

Instead we have threads like this, to guess what they are doing. The very fact that threads like this are necesary proves the point.

I don't think I'm a 'whiner' but communication could be much better, in that it could exist.

Ah well, whatever ... not trying to start a fight.
Old April 19, 2002, 09:52   #23
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think the firaxians tend to lurk rather than participate. While I think that is a mistake, they are here (twilight zone music) and I think some of the elements of the patch prove they listen (except that lethal bombardment should have been applicable to the defender not attacker). The morning of the readme there were two firaxians present and answering questions.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 19, 2002, 09:58   #24
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Grrr!! read jt's post, then mine, then yours, then mine...

Now my money really is on 2 more. Even more is revealed that things are a work in progress. Mike is doing well with the editor, but much remains to be done.

And to the people who can't be satisfied that this game is being supported by the designers, unlike so many other games, pfff, you are too stupid to know what is what so you are too stupid not to be on an ignore list.
With Firaxis being 'all over the place' I wonder ...

ARE YOU MIKE?

AJ

edit:
PS: can someone fill me in about the status of correct starting locations on (game included) world maps?
Old April 19, 2002, 11:47   #25
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
I seriously doubt an infinite number of patches. Firaxis has no doubt better things to do than to patch CIV3 in absurdum.
Quite sure. At least their project manager do.

Quote:
We will probably just see one more patch, then it´s expansion time. The expansion may contain a few minor changes like Alien Crossfire did.
I voted for ZERO. I suppose it's time for Firaxis to jump on a different wagon, i.e. the expansion or Sid's Dino rewamped

I don't mean I like the idea or not. I'm quite agnostic at the moment: I don't think any relevant change can really change my opinion about the game. I still try to like it as is and start a new game sometime to fill the time.
I can sometimes find an interesting game situation and play it till 3 AM while my alarm clock is set to wake me up at 6:30 AM
Old April 19, 2002, 14:23   #26
bigvic
Prince

I've lost faith in these guys. I voted "other", which means 0 - ?. In a D&D supplement a friend showed me the other day, something about evil characters, it descibed a skill called "craft shoddy product". I immediately thought of civIII and all these ucked fup patches. EVIL

i like ibble blibble
Old April 19, 2002, 14:24   #27
bigvic
Prince

I've lost faith in these guys. I voted "other", which means 0 - ?. In a D&D supplement a friend showed me the other day, something about evil characters, it descibed a skill called "craft shoddy item". I immediately thought of civIII and all these ucked fup patches. EVIL

i like ibble blibble
Old April 19, 2002, 14:33   #28
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

With Firaxis being 'all over the place' I wonder ...

ARE YOU MIKE?

AJ
I prefer Golf.
Old April 19, 2002, 14:46   #29
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
I know this has been said before, but I have to say it again.

How many people here played Civ2 when it was first released? MGE is version 5.5, ToT is 4.?. Obviously, there was a version 1.0, but we never hear about it. Why? Because it sucked. But many people claim that Civ2 is the greatest strategy game of all time. Even though it sucked when it was first released. When Civ3 gets aroundto version 5-point-something, maybe you'll change your minds then.

Steele
Old April 19, 2002, 14:48   #30
Carver
Prince

"bananas or strawberries"?

I like bananas with strawberries with ice cream with hot fudge...with nuts.

As for patches, I want no more than 1, and that's what I expect. I want to finally get an expansion pack with MP, a real scenario editor, more civs, more wonders and wonder movies with a spoken monologue. Hopefully by Xmas.