Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Re: Re: I seem to remember
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

and dont forget to put "appearance" on zero as well , or you start to have a resource on every tile , .....

have a nice day
No, that's not true. The appearance ratio only determines the total amount of a resource,which is determined at the begining of a game. If you read the help file, it states that an appearance ratio of 160 means that there will be 2 resources per civ in an 8 civ game, though not necessarily 2 in each territory. There will never be more than that amount.

And the highest number you can have is 300, so that works out roughly to 3.75 resources per civ, or somewhere around there, in an 8 civ game.

Now Panang, don't get me wrong, I know you're a nice guy, but do you think you could drop the "Have a nice day" from your posts? You'd be doing me a personal favour if you did. Sometimes really cheery people just get on my nerves. Nothing personal, but sometimes I actually enjoy having a bad day. It makes me appreciate the good ones that much more.

Last edited by Willem; May 17, 2002 at 19:21.
Old May 17, 2002, 19:28   #302
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Re: I seem to remember
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

No, that's not true. The appearance ratio only determines the total amount of a resource,which is determined at the begining of a game. If you read the help file, it states that an appearance ratio of 160 means that there will be 2 resources per civ in an 8 civ game, though not necessarily 2 in each territory. There will never be more than that amount.

And the highest number you can have is 300, so that works out roughly to 3.75 resources per civ, or somewhere around there, in an 8 civ game.

Now Panang, don't get me wrong, I know you're a nice guy, but do you think you could drop the "Have a nice day" from your posts? You'd be doing me a personal favour if you did. Sometimes really cheery people just get on my nerves. Nothing personal, but sometimes I actually enjoy having a bad day. It makes me appreciate the good ones that much more.
hi ,

sounds nice but it has been seen , ........

a map with resources "growing" ( ) everwhere , ......

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2002, 20:09   #303
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I seem to remember
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

sounds nice but it has been seen , ........

a map with resources "growing" ( ) everwhere , ......

have a nice day
Well then there was some sort of bug happening, because it's not supposed to work that way. The amount and positions of resources are determined at the beginning of the game when the map is created. Only in the event of one disappearing will another one pop up again in some other location.

PS. If that were the case, then there's be Horse herds all over the place in everyone's games. It has an appearance ratio of 120, and a disappearance probability of 0. So by your statements, there'd be new Horses appearing continuously throughout the course of a game, which there isn't.

Last edited by Willem; May 17, 2002 at 20:29.
Old May 18, 2002, 00:30   #304
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 17:13
Re: I seem to remember
Quote:
Originally posted by Mkinser
...one of the editor settings allows the random depletion of minerals to be turned off. Possibly this is what has happened with the mod or bic file that you are using...
I can't vouch for Stuie, but I'm running stock settings. CD+1.16f+1.17f+1.121f. No modified bics; I haven't even launched the editor.

While I agree that it is a helpful bug, it is still a bug. I'd just as soon not have resources deplete, but if they do, then they should stay depleted. I'd understand if a few hundred years passed and we figured out how to leach extra iron from the dross, or squeeze a little more oil from the wells and could resume exploiting the resource, but it shouldn't come back immediately.
Old May 18, 2002, 08:56   #305
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I seem to remember
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Well then there was some sort of bug happening, because it's not supposed to work that way. The amount and positions of resources are determined at the beginning of the game when the map is created. Only in the event of one disappearing will another one pop up again in some other location.

PS. If that were the case, then there's be Horse herds all over the place in everyone's games. It has an appearance ratio of 120, and a disappearance probability of 0. So by your statements, there'd be new Horses appearing continuously throughout the course of a game, which there isn't.
hi ,

Willem , i did not happen in every map , only in some maps , that where a bit modded , and on certain OS's , mainly ME and 2000 , ......it was funny at first , but after about a 100 turns's it was not , every so many turns the resources would pop-up , .....
it kind makes ya wonder if what you are seeing is for real , but it was like that , ....

have a nice day
Old May 19, 2002, 20:34   #306
messydiner
Settler

Local Time: 15:13
I skimmed through all 11 pages of posts in here but didn't find any mention of this bug:

I'm using Windows 2000, with a login that doesn't have administrator privileges. After installing the 1.21f patch I get a dialogue box prompting me to "Please login with administrator privileges and try again".

I didn't have this problems with the original game, or the previous two patches. I've reinstalled the game and install the 1.21f patch immediately, then reinstalled again, incrementally installing 1.16, 1.17 then 1.21. It's the same every time... starts fine until the 1.21f patch is applied, then all I get is the message until I reinstall the game.

If I login with my administrator account, the game won't run because it can't find a bunch of .dll files, I assume because the path info isn't in the registry for that user.

Of course I can probably get around the problem by installing the game with my administrator account, but I'd rather not.
Old May 20, 2002, 00:59   #307
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:13
Incorrect worker nationalities in Diplomacy screen
When you're negotiating with another civ and there are workers available for trade, the nationality of the workers shown is incorrect. In one recent game, I was playing Japan, and was negotiating with the Chinese. I had one Chinese worker in my capital that I wished to return to them. This worker showed up as "Worker (Japan)" instead of "Worker (China)" in the list.
Old May 20, 2002, 04:54   #308
Panag
Emperor

Re: Incorrect worker nationalities in Diplomacy screen
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
When you're negotiating with another civ and there are workers available for trade, the nationality of the workers shown is incorrect. In one recent game, I was playing Japan, and was negotiating with the Chinese. I had one Chinese worker in my capital that I wished to return to them. This worker showed up as "Worker (Japan)" instead of "Worker (China)" in the list.
hi ,

at last , some-one else who saw it , ......
may the gods bless you , ..................

its so funny , you go true all that trouble to get foreign workers , so you can use them to sell or on the negotiating table and that this happens , ...........

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2002, 13:20   #309
Big R
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by messydiner
I skimmed through all 11 pages of posts in here but didn't find any mention of this bug:

I'm using Windows 2000, with a login that doesn't have administrator privileges. After installing the 1.21f patch I get a dialogue box prompting me to "Please login with administrator privileges and try again".

I didn't have this problems with the original game, or the previous two patches. I've reinstalled the game and install the 1.21f patch immediately, then reinstalled again, incrementally installing 1.16, 1.17 then 1.21. It's the same every time... starts fine until the 1.21f patch is applied, then all I get is the message until I reinstall the game.

If I login with my administrator account, the game won't run because it can't find a bunch of .dll files, I assume because the path info isn't in the registry for that user.

Of course I can probably get around the problem by installing the game with my administrator account, but I'd rather not.

Had same issue with W2K Server. I had tried messing with permissions and ownership, but it did not seem to work.... here's how I got around it:

1) Install as Administrator (patch, too).
2) Run the game once.
3) Log out and play as your normal user (which for me is a power user).

Annoying how this stuff changes without any mention, huh? Wastes a lot of time.

R.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:27   #310
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: Incorrect worker nationalities in Diplomacy screen
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
So, when you right-click on the city it displays the worker's native nationality. If you have to vacate all the other foreign workers out while you negotiate, so be it.

Hey, we BOTH know that this is just a work-around. OTH, if you right-clicked on a foreign worker in the field that was NOT yours, doesn't it say "... Persian Worker..." instead of "...Worker (Persian)...." We SHOULD be able to distinguish between the two, but for some it would be replacing one confusion with another.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:37   #311
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Incorrect worker nationalities in Diplomacy screen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

So, when you right-click on the city it displays the worker's native nationality. If you have to vacate all the other foreign workers out while you negotiate, so be it.

Hey, we BOTH know that this is just a work-around. OTH, if you right-clicked on a foreign worker in the field that was NOT yours, doesn't it say "... Persian Worker..." instead of "...Worker (Persian)...." We SHOULD be able to distinguish between the two, but for some it would be replacing one confusion with another.
hi ,

the captured worker or settler has your colour , ....

have a nice day
Old May 21, 2002, 16:23   #312
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Epic Delayed
Playing a huge world with 16 civs. Get a leader, build an army. Planning to build the Heroic Epic. Army wins, no Epic on build list.

Many turns pass. Eventually build enough cities so city count is greater than 50% of the "optimal number' for a the world size.

Both Forbidden Palace and Heroic Epic appear (on build list) with the next turn.
-------------------------------------------------------
New game deliberately customized to get lots of armies.
(Allow a convenient unit to build armies)

Build 3 armies expecting the Pentagon. Have several Army victories expecting Heroic Epic. Not on build list.

Many turns pass. ......as above.......
Forbidden Palace, Heroic Epic, and Pentagon all apear with the next turn
----------------------------------------------
Looks like the Forbidden Palace is a trigger for small wonders. Now the question is: Firaxis, is this what you intended?
Old May 21, 2002, 22:55   #313
rogue9_oz
Settler

Local Time: 09:13
Has anybody seen this?
Since installing 1.21f the game will occassionally start reading from the CD. Often happens when you ask to move a unit but sometimes seems to do it for no reason. Doesn't seem to do anything except slow the game down.

Didn't do this before loaded 1.21f.
Old May 21, 2002, 23:44   #314
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Re: Has anybody seen this?
Quote:
Originally posted by rogue9_oz
Since installing 1.21f the game will occassionally start reading from the CD. Often happens when you ask to move a unit but sometimes seems to do it for no reason. Doesn't seem to do anything except slow the game down.

Didn't do this before loaded 1.21f.
Did this for me before 1.21. Always seems to happen to me when I initiate diplomatic discussions with the Greeks or Romans. For me, a minor annoyance at worst.
Old May 22, 2002, 16:24   #315
Panag
Emperor

Re: Epic Delayed
Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage
Playing a huge world with 16 civs. Get a leader, build an army. Planning to build the Heroic Epic. Army wins, no Epic on build list.

Many turns pass. Eventually build enough cities so city count is greater than 50% of the "optimal number' for a the world size.

Both Forbidden Palace and Heroic Epic appear (on build list) with the next turn.
-------------------------------------------------------
New game deliberately customized to get lots of armies.
(Allow a convenient unit to build armies)

Build 3 armies expecting the Pentagon. Have several Army victories expecting Heroic Epic. Not on build list.

Many turns pass. ......as above.......
Forbidden Palace, Heroic Epic, and Pentagon all apear with the next turn
----------------------------------------------
Looks like the Forbidden Palace is a trigger for small wonders. Now the question is: Firaxis, is this what you intended?
hi ,

you need to get the message ; "great one , ones again our armies are victorious" , .....

have a nice day
Old May 25, 2002, 02:40   #316
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 18:13
In my latest game, I am the Chinese. It is the year 2017. My automated workers are trying to clean pollution and then returning to the nearest city. My workers who tried to return to Sparta, my city BTW, start getting killed. I examine the city to see who is manning it. My two mech infs and a Babylonian settler!? I pulled my mechs out and now it says there is the Babs settler and a Babs mech inf. The next turn, the city was back to normal. When I reloaded the previous turn the city was also back to normal, so the bug isn't repeatable. This was in version 1.21f.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 25, 2002, 12:28   #317
steven8r
Prince

Returning Units Getting Killed
Moses,

I too have had an experience where my units were being killed when I tried to move them into Sparta.

This happened before I installed patch 1.21f. It only seemed to happen during 1 turn during a war, but as I tried to move artillery into Sparta, they would be killed.

It must've just been a temporary glitch because it hasn't happened to me again.
Old May 25, 2002, 13:05   #318
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander_two
Is this a bug or what?

I had a strange thing happen in my most recent game ...As moved adjacent to one of my own cities along the way, it attacked the city and was destroyed by the defenders

I too have had a similar experience. I (Greece) was at war w/ the Romans on the same continent. I tried to move artillery into Sparta, but it was killed trying to enter.

This only happened once. Now I can move units into Sparta w/o incident.

I don't know what triggered this, and it hasn't happened since.
Old May 28, 2002, 01:12   #319
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:13
Issue with Jungle clearing
Not really a bug, but this needs to be looked at anyway.

When automating the clearing of Jungle with the Shift-J command, the workers always head for the patch of jungle that's farthest north in your empire. This is a real problem when your nation is in the south of the map, because the worker spends 15 turns crossing jungle to reach the jungle square it has chosen to clear first.

The workers will sometimes go to the edges of your empire, if that is the northern limit, where they risk being captured or destroyed by warlike enemies. In a recent game I played, this triggered two wars when unprotected workers on the border proved too tempting for the AI.

Proposed solution: Instead of moving to the northernmost patch of jungle, the automated jungle-clearing worker should head for the nearest patch of jungle. If two patches of jungle are both the same distance, preference should be given for the patch that is closest to the capital. (The closer to the capital, the higher the productivity of that square (lower corruption), and the safer that square is likely to be.)
Old May 28, 2002, 10:48   #320
lorddread
Warlord

a related bug
A like problem I have seen is when automated workers simply leave your empire on their own and start developing someone elses empire. This has happened several times. Usually the AI doesn't complain.

Also I have had workers walk to a square, then to a city, then back to the square, then back to a city.......... It nearly drove me mad!
Old May 28, 2002, 14:06   #321
Catt
King

Re: a related bug
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread
A like problem I have seen is when automated workers simply leave your empire on their own and start developing someone elses empire. This has happened several times. Usually the AI doesn't complain.
I have seen this many times, but it is not a bug. Generally your workers are (1) completing / repairing a road that will extend / reestablish you trade network between a far flung city and your empire (which is possible only through the friendly civ's territory -- this often happens when your neighbor is at war and his roads are being pillaged), or (2) irrigating in order to build a chain of irrigation tiles to one of your parched border cities (i.e., you need access to fresh water in order to irrigate before the discovery of Electricity, and you can't irrigate from one of your other cities because of hills, mountains, etc.).

Catt
Old May 28, 2002, 14:09   #322
Catt
King

Re: Hanging Gardens Bug?
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Suspect I've found a bug, though may not be directly tied to 1.21f (I could just have never noticed it in earlier versions).

Game details: v1.21f, Standard Map, Continents (max water), 8 civs, Monarch, all victory conditions enabled. Game is modded, but not in any way affecting wonders or the tech tree.

Playing as the Egyptians, I took Rome. The Romans had built both the Great Wall and the Hanging Gardens in Rome. Looking at the city view of Rome, I see both wonders -- and, correctly, neither is producing culture for me (I didn't build them). BUT, the Hanging Gardens are marked with three , indicating the happiness effects of the wonder. Only problem is, all civilizations are well past Steam Power on the tech tree -- the advance that renders the effect of the Hanging Gardens obsolete.

So, either I'm benefiting from the happiness effects of the HG when it should be obsolete, or the three shouldn't be there, right? Anyone see something I'm missing?

Saved game attached.

Catt
Anyone have any thoughts -- I can't help but think I'm missing something simple. Happened again in my current game -- captured Hanging Gardens, my civ and enemy civ both have discovered Steam Power, still getting 's next to HG in the city display.

Catt
Old May 28, 2002, 14:27   #323
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
I think they will only cross borders when you have a ROP agreement with that other civ.

If you want to stop them from from crossing borders (even to friendly nations) you can place troops on your borders and make sure that on the Preferences Menu you check,

'Cancel orders when next to friend/enemy.'

This option will keep your automated workers from crossing military units. (the 'Friend' option corrals your workers from your units, the 'Enemy' option keeps them away from enemy units)
Old May 28, 2002, 18:21   #324
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: Hanging Gardens Bug?
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
Anyone have any thoughts -- I can't help but think I'm missing something simple. Happened again in my current game -- captured Hanging Gardens, my civ and enemy civ both have discovered Steam Power, still getting 's next to HG in the city display.

Catt
[insert theme from The Twilight Zone here]
Of course, you HAVE checked the Editor for tampering (intentional or otherwise) for this?

JB
Old May 28, 2002, 18:25   #325
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: Re: a related bug
Quote:
Originally posted by steven8r
... (the 'Friend' option corrals your workers from your units, the 'Enemy' option keeps them away from enemy units)
The 'Friend' option wakes them from their orders when they come adjacent to ANYONE else's units (friend or foe, but not your own).
Old May 29, 2002, 08:50   #326
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Also I have had workers walk to a square, then to a city, then back to the square, then back to a city.......... It nearly drove me mad!
hi ,

someone say's that that is to get for example water , ....

its funny , when your workers are on the territory of an other civ they aint complaining , ....but sent a unit and they scream "murder" , .........

but when the AI's unit's are in you territory working they shall not get out , you can ask it a zillion times , ......grrrrrrrrr

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 09:36   #327
Harfang
Settler

Local Time: 18:13
Re: Re: call me lazy...
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

You have to select everyone. Click on yourself. You see your own lines. Click on Mao. You see his relationships. Shift-Click on all of the leaders. Now you see them all.
I got 1.21f just two days ago and well into the game, the same display bug I had two patches ago reappeared: after a while, no diplomatic relationship appears between the different civs, as fluxcapacitor pointed out on page 5. This is no newbie mistake: I select any or all civs and the only relationships I can see are those they have with me.

I had contacted tech support about it. They had me run around, updating all my drivers (a story in its own right) and it still would not do a thing. When I e-mailed them again, they never replied and it's the 1.17f patch that solved my problem. Guess I'll have to waste my time with something else now.

Harfang
Old May 29, 2002, 09:49   #328
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: call me lazy...
Quote:
Originally posted by Harfang

I got 1.21f just two days ago and well into the game, the same display bug I had two patches ago reappeared: after a while, no diplomatic relationship appears between the different civs, as fluxcapacitor pointed out on page 5. This is no newbie mistake: I select any or all civs and the only relationships I can see are those they have with me.

I had contacted tech support about it. They had me run around, updating all my drivers (a story in its own right) and it still would not do a thing. When I e-mailed them again, they never replied and it's the 1.17f patch that solved my problem. Guess I'll have to waste my time with something else now.

Harfang
hi ,

uninstall , search for files , civ , civilization , infogrames , firaxis , delete manually , also maps in the documents folder , reboot , install , get the 1.21 from www.firaxis.com , ....reboot , disk defrag , why , well its a huge file , .....and you can play , if not say so , ...

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 19:28   #329
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
What happened to the idea that artillery and planes should be able to sink ships? I thought that this was to be implemented with the 1.21 patch.
Old May 30, 2002, 10:17   #330
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
What happened to the idea that artillery and planes should be able to sink ships? I thought that this was to be implemented with the 1.21 patch.
It was but it's not implemented in the default game, you have to go into the editor and add that ability to your units.