Old May 30, 2002, 14:50   #331
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Lethal Bombardment
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
What happened to the idea that artillery and planes should be able to sink ships? I thought that this was to be implemented with the 1.21 patch.
Checkout the Thread entitled, "How do I enable lethal bombing?"

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=51111

for more info on this matter.

It stumped me too for a little while.
Old May 30, 2002, 15:14   #332
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Science calculation not working properly for custom maps
Strangely enough this post ended up in a thread I had never seen before but I keep trying.

In only now noticed that the techrate was changed as well as the calculation of the number of beakers needed. Looking deeper into this I noted my large custommaps the tech calculation seems to be the same as in the standard size map. The calculation in the tiny map is as I expected.

This bug may have to do with a similar bug posted earlier by Alexman. I copied his text below.

Optimal number of cities not working properly for custom maps

When you create a custom map of any size, the game uses the optimal number of cities for a standard-size map. This was not the case before 1.21.

So, playing on a tiny user-created map will have optimal cities = 16 instead of 12 if you don't change anything else.
Old May 30, 2002, 20:48   #333
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:13
Other Civs allowing you a Right of Passage, for next to nothing after abusing it with a past civ .

Being able to double your landmass and destroy an entire civ in a few turns by breaking a ROP. Even if you can only do this the first time, it still seems like too much of a bonus, since their are no severe reprecussions.

Of course I was nuked first later on, but I sent twice as many back.

A solution would be to have all other civs cancel their present luxery trades with you, and than refuse to talk to you for a number of turns depending on how severe the infraction. Once they will talk to you again no ROP for you for thousands of years and tradeing with them will be at double the cost.

Also does anyone think it strange that you can get a Democratic civ to do a military alliance for 400$ but techs go for more than 2000$. This is a late industrial, modern era problem. If your attacked it dosn't cost you enough to have every other civ in a military alliance against the attacker.

Last edited by Rust; May 30, 2002 at 21:05.
Old May 30, 2002, 23:34   #334
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

It was but it's not implemented in the default game, you have to go into the editor and add that ability to your units.
Anyway to do that after you've started the game?
Old May 31, 2002, 00:18   #335
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Anyway to do that after you've started the game?
Nope, I'm afraid not. The last patch also saves all the game data in the save file, so no changes will take effect until you start a new game. I'm not to crazy about that decision, but there's not much I can do about it. It makes it a real pain for modders/future scenario builders. I hope along with scenario support in the next patch, they also include some sort of cheat mode, so we can test things out on the fly. I don't think you'll be seeing to many scenarios otherwise, it will just end up being a supreme hassle having to start from scratch everytime you make a minor change.
Old May 31, 2002, 19:53   #336
Jon Speelman
Settler

Re: Science calculation not working properly for custom maps
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Franses
Strangely enough this post ended up in a thread I had never seen before but I keep trying.

In only now noticed that the techrate was changed as well as the calculation of the number of beakers needed. Looking deeper into this I noted my large custommaps the tech calculation seems to be the same as in the standard size map. The calculation in the tiny map is as I expected.

It seems to me that the tech calculations aren't working fullstop at least in 1.21f: that is the multiplier when youy have a wonder in a city is incorrect.

I discovered this when I captured a ciity with Copernicus + Newton in and added SETI myself

with Library, University, Research Lab this ought to have given massive science output but in fact the multiplier on base rate was just 3.5 - ie the doubling effect was being used just once and rather than 2 x 2.5 = 5 it was adding (3 x0.5) + 1.0 to the base

I don't know if anybody has notiuced this before but it seems like quite a serious bug to me?
Old May 31, 2002, 19:54   #337
Jon Speelman
Settler

It seems to me that the tech calculations aren't working fullstop at least in 1.21f: that is the multiplier when youy have a wonder in a city is incorrect.

I discovered this when I captured a ciity with Copernicus + Newton in and added SETI myself

with Library, University, Research Lab this ought to have given massive science output but in fact the multiplier on base rate was just 3.5 - ie the doubling effect was being used just once and rather than 2 x 2.5 = 5 it was adding (3 x0.5) + 1.0 to the base

I don't know if anybody has notiuced this before but it seems like quite a serious bug to me?
Old June 1, 2002, 00:34   #338
lorddread
Warlord

Counting Errors
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Speelman

Yeah, Must have been programmed on an old Pentium computer. Sid, when is the next patch?
Old June 1, 2002, 01:09   #339
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

Maybe the captured wonders are not working properly?

A Tale of Two Cities:

Antium. Pop 20. Com from tiles 45, less 5 lost to corruption. Has research lab, Newton, and SETI. Science set to 100% yields 180 beakers.

Byzantium. Pop 21. Com from tiles 52, less 10 lost to corruption. Has research lab. Science set to 100% yields 105 beakers.

Seems to be working for the wonders built by me.
Old June 1, 2002, 04:27   #340
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
What happened to the idea that artillery and planes should be able to sink ships? I thought that this was to be implemented with the 1.21 patch.
hi ,

also there should be Lethal Air Bomb , ..........

have a nice day
Old June 1, 2002, 06:10   #341
Jon Speelman
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Maybe the captured wonders are not working properly?

A Tale of Two Cities:

Antium. Pop 20. Com from tiles 45, less 5 lost to corruption. Has research lab, Newton, and SETI. Science set to 100% yields 180 beakers.

Byzantium. Pop 21. Com from tiles 52, less 10 lost to corruption. Has research lab. Science set to 100% yields 105 beakers.

Seems to be working for the wonders built by me.
Yes I guess that it is the captured wonders which aren't working. But I'm not greatly impressed by the "doubling" feature of the wonders in any case From your example Newton + SETI + lib + Uni + R Lab = 4.5 rather than 10 (obviously better described by "add an extra 100%"). I thought that in CivII it really did double multiplicatively?
Old June 1, 2002, 07:34   #342
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Yes I guess that it is the captured wonders which aren't working. But I'm not greatly impressed by the "doubling" feature of the wonders in any case From your example Newton + SETI + lib + Uni + R Lab = 4.5 rather than 10 (obviously better described by "add an extra 100%"). I thought that in CivII it really did double multiplicatively?
hi ,

a couple months ago a guy explained this , ....

" it has to do with cultural takeover , ie , you dont get the points for culture when you take a wonder over" this far so good , but what he claimed next , "there is a bug that when one captures a city , science loses some of its points" , .....

dont ask where the thread is , ........

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 11:53   #343
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Is it just me, or does anybody else find the 1.21 patch won't download properly from the site in the first place? I'm using a 56k modem, so I have the Download Acceleration Program help me in case I get cut off.

Well, the DAP downloads all 8.some ugly megabytes of the patch, and then claims there was some error in combining the different parts. Next thing I know, the .exe file is only 6.some MB large. Upon resuming the download, the patch size has shrunk to 2.some MB.

What's going on? I know this is a true newbie question but since that's precisely what I am to Civ3 I think it's rather apt.
Old June 6, 2002, 12:19   #344
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
Is it just me, or does anybody else find the 1.21 patch won't download properly from the site in the first place? I'm using a 56k modem, so I have the Download Acceleration Program help me in case I get cut off.
Well your problem is using a 56k modem in the first place. Spoil yourself and get a broadband connection, you'll thank yourself for it.
Old June 6, 2002, 13:33   #345
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Well, the DAP downloads all 8.some ugly megabytes of the patch, and then claims there was some error in combining the different parts. Next thing I know, the .exe file is only 6.some MB large. Upon resuming the download, the patch size has shrunk to 2.some MB.

What's going on? I know this is a true newbie question but since that's precisely what I am to Civ3 I think it's rather apt.
hi ,

from what site , ......

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2002, 13:36   #346
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

the best is to download it from www.firaxis.com , turn off your antivirus or firewall to be sure , .....close other open windows from your browser that you done need , and it should go , if not , tell so , ......

have a nice day , and good luck on the download , ...
Old June 7, 2002, 03:13   #347
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Thanks for the help, but a few more things.

1. My university dorm doesn't have a broadband connection, otherwise I'd definitely get one! So I'm stuck with 56k modem sadly

2. I was downloading it from Firaxis in the first place, which is why I'm so surprised that it won't download properly.

Has this happened to anybody else? Does anybody know of any good mirror sites so I can get the patch?
Old June 7, 2002, 07:44   #348
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

1. My university dorm doesn't have a broadband connection, otherwise I'd definitely get one! So I'm stuck with 56k modem sadly

2. I was downloading it from Firaxis in the first place, which is why I'm so surprised that it won't download properly.

Has this happened to anybody else? Does anybody know of any good mirror sites so I can get the patch?
hi ,

try "www.apolyton.com" , .......

have a nice day
Old June 7, 2002, 09:10   #349
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Try downloading it without that program you mentioned. It sounds to me that's where your problem is.
Old June 8, 2002, 05:04   #350
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Well, I got the patch and it has changed the game .exe so it now refuses to recognize my Civ3 CD-ROM. This means I can't play the game.

Any ideas on how to unpatch the game?

My CD-ROM was bought in Beijing and I'm pretty convinced it's not a pirate release, as it came with proper packaging, instruction manual (in Mandarin), and even changed the Chinese leader animations from Mao Zedong to LiShiMin.
Old June 8, 2002, 10:17   #351
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Well, I got the patch and it has changed the game .exe so it now refuses to recognize my Civ3 CD-ROM. This means I can't play the game.

My CD-ROM was bought in Beijing and I'm pretty convinced it's not a pirate release, as it came with proper packaging, instruction manual (in Mandarin), and even changed the Chinese leader animations from Mao Zedong to LiShiMin.
If you contact Infrogames, they can provide you with sub-routine that allows you to play without the CD.

So you can read Mandarin? And does that mean that Mao is falling out of favour in Chinese society? Changing his graphic would have been unthinkable not so long.
Old June 8, 2002, 11:14   #352
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

hi ,

well delete all the files , manually , search for stuff like civ , civilzation , infogrames , firaxis , dont forget the maps in the documants folder , .....reboot , ....install again , get patch 1.21 , and problem's fixed , ....

have a nice day
Old June 8, 2002, 22:55   #353
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Thanks for the tips. I'll get to Firaxis and ask them nicely for the subroutine. Or maybe I'll just reinstall the whole thing and play on an older (1.07) version.

As for the lack of Mao in the game, I have a suspicion that my copy of Civ3 may have originated from Taiwan. Last time I went to Taiwan, they were selling pirate copies of the original (Mao Tse Tung) Civ3 game, but legit copies of a Taiwan-Chinese, non-Mao computer game Civ3 as well. Of course, many Taiwan people would not be happy at the prospect of having Mao represent the Chinese race (which they consider themselves to be part of, though will have little to do with the present government).

My copy has no Mao, but there are a few little touches which make me suspect it has also been altered by the Chinese.

For a start, the Civilopedia entry for a certain government form begins:

"Communism is a good form of government in which [...]" and I don't think the Taiwanese design houses would have much cause to put that in the game.

I am trying to get a graphics program installed so I can post up a few screenshots of the new Chinese leader, Li Shi Min (the founder of the Tang dynasty). It does look pretty convincing...

And in answer to your Mandarin question, yes I can read Mandarin, but only the simplified characters, and only haltingly at best. I'm currently in Beijing studying the language and the people.

As far as Mao is concerned, the younger people in China tend not to be too passionate about him, either as a hero or a villain. The older generations still have a lot of respect for him, sometimes bordering on hero-worship. My driver once got into a fight with his father for criticizing the Cultural Revolution (he lost the fight too).
Old June 11, 2002, 11:41   #354
falsfire3401
Settler

I have so far only started two new games on the 1.21 patch. One game as the Japanese, standard map, pangaea, Regent, max civs (7 rivals). Luxuries seemed a teency bit light, but resources were fine. All I had to do was invade my neighbour France and take all but one backwater town, and then I had 3 luxury resources (local) to me.

In the second game, I'm playing the Russians on a Huge map pangaea, with only 8 rivals, Regent diff. In this game, luxury resources are extremely scarce. The closest one to my capitol ended up being furs, ~25 tiles away to the west. I now have a remote highly-corrupt but well defended town on that resource, plus another deep in the northern jungle parked on the gems tile. I'm *still* building the road to that town, it must be about 40 tiles away (almost into the German territory to the north). Resources are also scarce. I have one horse resource within ten tiles of my capitol, but the nearest iron is also way up in the mountains near the gems town in the northern jungle. I hate running highly-corrupt border towns a-way out there like that (I don't use colonies b/c they can get assimilated by a rivals borders, a town has to undergo a culture-flip and a size 2 town with 8 defenders just ain't gonna flip, unless you get REAL bad luck)
Old June 12, 2002, 22:49   #355
Timely Chicken
Settler

I got the refusal to recognize CD in the CDROM too, but I have two of them installed. Swapped the CD to the other one and its fine now.

One odd thing happened today. I think it was a fluke. The year is 1590, I am the most advanced civ in the game (I played a warlord just so I could win one). I have knights as my most advanced mounted unit. I suddenly get the message "The babylonians have added a part to their space ship."

What the...?

I trounced the Babylonians and when I killed their capital (before espionage, so I couldn't check otherwise) I got the message "We have destroyed the Babylonian space ship."

No idea how they stick wielders managed to make a spaceship part unless they stumbled on a hut somewhere that for some reason gave them one.

It never happened again or before.
Old June 13, 2002, 09:01   #356
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 23:13
If a hut gave them the tech to build a spaceship part. The AI would instantley build that part
Old June 13, 2002, 10:46   #357
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
If a hut gave them the tech to build a spaceship part. The AI would instantley build that part
You don't get free techs from huts after the Ancient Era.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:21   #358
Mad_Hatter13x
Settler

Local Time: 18:13
Ive taken over my continent, no problem. The first civilization i beat out were the romans, way back in the beginning of the mideival time. Im in the modern era, and all of a sudden, a roman galley shows up on my coast, what the F@#%. Thats a flaw, they STILL need to fix.

Mad Hatter
Old June 13, 2002, 17:24   #359
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

You don't get free techs from huts after the Ancient Era.
hi ,

, that should be in the editor , to decide until what era the huts count , ......

have a nice day
Old June 13, 2002, 17:28   #360
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, that should be in the editor , to decide until what era the huts count , ......

have a nice day
I think it's just fine as it is frankly. If an Expansionist civ could get free techs in more than the ancient era, it would be so far ahead of all the rest, the other civs wouldn't stand a chance.