Old April 19, 2002, 23:26   #61
uh Clem
King

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Governors still do not work correctly. They build Workers even when 'Build Workers' is set to 'Never' (same as 1.17).
Old April 19, 2002, 23:49   #62
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 23:12
The game crashes when I build a wonder, but only when I do it. Wonder splash malfunction?

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old April 20, 2002, 00:21   #63
codemast01
Chieftain

Minor Bug:
If you build a city improvement in a city before it goes into civil disorder and then disband a unit in that city, so that the improvement is finished, the pop-up that asks you to choose a new improvement only displays military units. (No I wasn't moblized and no I didn't build all the improvements in that city)
Old April 20, 2002, 02:08   #64
lorddread
Warlord

Aquaducts
Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
Aqueducts are now required in cities that have rivers within their radius, excluding the capital.

Can someone else confirm this please.
My bad. I never noticed that before, oops. :embarassed:
Was I getting a free ride in my previous games?

Something I noticed, but can not confirm it due to a lost book, is that SOME cities over size 6, and next to large lakes no longer need aquaducts. Cities next to oceans do but lake front property don't.

Does anyone have a problem with the TINY tech tree boxes that cut off the words and training time?

Also, I have come across the first game where there are none of the little Indian villages. Not the huts but the tiny bubble looking villages that give money, maps, tech and rampaging villagers.

Has anyone else seen these things?
Old April 20, 2002, 02:12   #65
lorddread
Warlord

Ver 1.17 games
Quote:
Originally posted by randommushroom
Okay, here's my problem. I just installed 1.21 and now I can't load any of my saved games from 1.17. It gets to about 5% loaded and then I get up a Windows pop-up that says Data I/O error. Anyone else had this problem?
Sit down and take a deep breath. Your computer is not dying. I ran into this on 1 of my older version games but not the others. There may be something in the size of the game or something that 1.21 doesn't like.

Remember deep breaths....
Old April 20, 2002, 02:29   #66
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 18:12
GREAT LIBRARY MAKES ITSELF OBSOLETE
Yes, the stupid Great Library STILL makes itself obsolete by offering us Education!

I consider this a bug.

We should have the option to accept Education OR NOT from the GL, or just develop it normally.
Old April 20, 2002, 02:55   #67
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Future Tech start not working
If you set the properties of Player 1 to start at Future Tech age in the editor (and not change anything else) the game bombs out within about a couple of turns.
Old April 20, 2002, 03:01   #68
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: GREAT LIBRARY MAKES ITSELF OBSOLETE
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Yes, the stupid Great Library STILL makes itself obsolete by offering us Education!

I consider this a bug.

We should have the option to accept Education OR NOT from the GL, or just develop it normally.
I actually like this. if my enemy has the library (95%) of the time, i will shoot for education, then sell to another to try to kill the effectiveness of it. what works against you, works against the computer.

why is this a bug? its doing EXACTLY what its programmed to do?
Old April 20, 2002, 03:31   #69
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

This is minor, but with the hp modifiers, the cap on rate of fire needs to be raised from 10.

Before the max hp a unit could have was ussually going to be 5. Now in alot of mods (like the stuff im doing now) will have some modern units with a bonus giving them like 15 hp or such, meaning a cruise missile with max rate of fire would be incapable of killing them in 1 shot (maybe even makes sense cause of armor), in any case, I dont think that was intended and see no real reason for the cap at 10.

The cap should at least be equal to max hp any single unit (non-army) can have so we can make cruise missiles with a good chance to be lethal to anything

Only thing Ive noticed so far thats been unmentioned.
Old April 20, 2002, 03:55   #70
Apolex
Warlord

worker bug, advisor crash
Okay I installed the 1.21 and loaded my saved game. My workers that I sent to automatically clean up pollution got mowed down my mech-infantry in my own cities as they tried to go through. I know this was a bug from before, but I thought it was fixed. Guess not.

Also I had a complete crash back to desktop twice while trying to get to my advisors screen. This never happened before I applied the 1.21 patch.

*sigh*

-Apolex
Old April 20, 2002, 03:56   #71
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I've hit Caravels with Cruise Missiles in unmodded 1.17 and they don't sink in one shot. What's different?
Old April 20, 2002, 04:53   #72
wervdon
Prince

First game ended in the unhandled exception in sound.dll others have mentioned.

I was playing the Greeks and went to war with the indians (2nd time actually).

They was furious with me, and I asked for peace (overextended rather than my troops are approaching was how I asked if that matters), and for peace I asked for their world map + construction + one of their workers. My advisor said this deal will probally be acceptable. As soon as I hit the "Will this deal be acceptable" option, the music sort of changed and went into a weird infinite loop (I could also hear my CD spinning up), after about 15 seconds of that the exception came up.

The first time I asked for peace in a very similar manner it didnt crash.

It is also repeatable with the autosave file. I repeated it at least once from it, though I didnt check save random seed so it may not be everytime if something about it is random.

EDIT:
System Specs:
900 mz athlon
512 megs of RAM
Motherboard: ECS K7VZA (mentioned mostly cause I use the onboard sound)
Toshiba DVD (dont remember exact model #)
Windows ME
Using the typical rather than full install

Oh and this one's logical but worth saying. The crash goes away if you turn off sound
Attached Files:

Last edited by wervdon; April 20, 2002 at 05:11.
Old April 20, 2002, 05:21   #73
Uncle Thade
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:12
Hahaha... they didn't do a damn thing about the horrendous tech whoring or AI BS... Why do we keep taking this punishement. ROFL. Traded my game in anyways, tried a freinds and he is on the floor right now laughing. Firaxis is about to become the big joke. Bugs galore!!!!!!!! Who play tested this patch, a chimp on an SNES or COLECO...... ROFLMAO.

*bashes self in head* STooopid STooopid consumer.

This may be the fix that never comes....
Old April 20, 2002, 05:46   #74
wervdon
Prince

Another minor thing. It'd be nice if units that get hitpoint bonuses showed that in their stats in their civlopedia entries along with attack/defense/movement.
Old April 20, 2002, 07:54   #75
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:12
Quote:
they didn't do a damn thing about the horrendous tech whoring or AI BS.
You can change this in the editor. And it works.
Old April 20, 2002, 10:52   #76
Kryten
Chieftain

A quote from the offical Civ3 site:-

"Based on the feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features. The editors are just tools, ones that the fan community needs to make meaningful by creating new scenarios with. As those in the 'trenches' of creating new content run into limitations, we'll work on eradicating those barriers."

Well here is a limitation that needs eradicating....WHY CAN WE NO LONGER ADD NEW UNITS WITH THIS LATEST PATCH!

I thought that the idea was to remove barriers, not create new ones!

(I don't remember anyone ever saying "hey, if I press 'Rename' then 'Cancel' and then the 'A' key I can add new units. This a bug, please fix it Firaxis.....")

Last edited by Kryten; April 20, 2002 at 11:19.
Old April 20, 2002, 11:22   #77
bob1475
Settler

Bombard?
I loaded the patch and then loaded a saved game where I had a ton of planes. Bombed enemy ships. But after their ships went all the way down to low red health I could no longer bomb them! How do I kill them if I can't bomb? Will this only work in a game started in 1.21?
Old April 20, 2002, 12:45   #78
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:12
Re: Bombard?
Quote:
Originally posted by bob1475
I loaded the patch and then loaded a saved game where I had a ton of planes. Bombed enemy ships. But after their ships went all the way down to low red health I could no longer bomb them! How do I kill them if I can't bomb? Will this only work in a game started in 1.21?
The default is still that you cannot kill with bombardment. You have to go into the editor and change the bombarding units' capabilities.
Old April 20, 2002, 13:25   #79
Dom Pedro II
King

Adding units
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the ability to add units a product of the hacked editor, not the Firaxis version?

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old April 20, 2002, 13:41   #80
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'm not sure if it originated with firaxis or not. I thought it was more of a bug someone found with the 1.17 patch.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 20, 2002, 15:49   #81
jbs
Chieftain

Patch useless
Since I can no longer set the correct civ starting locations because none of the save game editors work, the patch is useless and has been uninstalled.

Since the patch breaks any of the work arounds necessary to get any enjoyment from this game the patch is worse then useless it is dangerous.

I would rather play with an older version and have fun then a newer version and be totally bored.

Bad patch! Firaxis "support?" is actually making the game worse!
Old April 20, 2002, 16:32   #82
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:12
Re: Patch useless
Quote:
Originally posted by jbs
Since I can no longer set the correct civ starting locations because none of the save game editors work, the patch is useless and has been uninstalled.

Since the patch breaks any of the work arounds necessary to get any enjoyment from this game the patch is worse then useless it is dangerous.

I would rather play with an older version and have fun then a newer version and be totally bored.

Bad patch! Firaxis "support?" is actually making the game worse!
First:
It's not FIraxis job to support unofficial editors.

Second:
Wait several days until new version of unofficial editor is out.
There is alreday hacked aditor which has ADD button for units.

Third:
Threre are plenty interesting things that can be done in editor.

For ex:
How to make nuclear-apocalipse scenraio?

Put many tileimp on map.
Put pollution too.
Select civs.
Give them some money, and several settelers.
Give them some tech.
Give them some advanced units for free.
Old April 20, 2002, 17:06   #83
Kryten
Chieftain

Re: Adding units
Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the ability to add units a product of the hacked editor, not the Firaxis version?
The ability to add/remove units has always been in the Civ3Editor, it's just that the buttons were disabled so that the player couldn't use them. Then someone (I think that it was Skywalker) discovered that a hacked editor was not necessary and all you had to do was rename/cancel/press 'A' to add new units. This will no longer work in the current patch.

Fortunately, Jimmyh has created a new hacked editor for 1.21f. He says that it only took him 2 minutes to go through and set the flag so that the add & delete buttons are visible again.
Old April 20, 2002, 17:53   #84
homegrown
Civilization IV Creators
Settler

No barbarians
I just realized why people are reporting games without barb huts. Since they added No Barbarians as an option, if you choose Random, then you have a chance of drawing None on your map. Guess my new setting is Restless.

homegrown
Old April 20, 2002, 19:44   #85
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Keep in mind a game started in 1.17f would have a different rule set as to compared to the new 1.21f patch.
Old April 20, 2002, 19:51   #86
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Re: Re: Adding units
Quote:
Originally posted by Kryten

The ability to add/remove units has always been in the Civ3Editor, it's just that the buttons were disabled so that the player couldn't use them. Then someone (I think that it was Skywalker) discovered that a hacked editor was not necessary and all you had to do was rename/cancel/press 'A' to add new units. This will no longer work in the current patch.

Fortunately, Jimmyh has created a new hacked editor for 1.21f. He says that it only took him 2 minutes to go through and set the flag so that the add & delete buttons are visible again.
Thats the way I remember it. The question is why did firaxis improve the icons i 1.21 so we could add more resources and units (with icons) then disable that function. The answer: IMO they're gonna sell it in the XP! I think there will also be an official version of flicster and maybe new animations or pieces of animations that can be put together for new units.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 20, 2002, 21:10   #87
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:12
Sorry if that has been reported earlier, but stack movement (J) doesn't work anymore for fortified units. It worked fine in 1.17f. Now I have to wake the whole gang one by one to stack move them.
Old April 20, 2002, 21:33   #88
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:12
Thats how its supposed to work, only moving awake units Ralph.
Old April 20, 2002, 22:04   #89
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Stacks from Fortified...

Shift, Right-Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, J, gone.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:47   #90
Allemand
Warlord

With old saved games (pre-1.21f) you are stuck with the new random number generator rule (results change on reload). There is no way to reset to the old rule in a saved game.

Hope someone knows how to do it.....