Old April 19, 2002, 07:17   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Added HP for one unit ?
Can I get some ideas why/how this would be useful? Since I can already change the attack/defense to whatever I want, how is this fundamentally different?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Last edited by SpencerH; April 19, 2002 at 10:14.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:03   #2
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:13
Re: Added HP for one unit
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Can I get some ideas why/how this would be useful? Since I can already change the attack/defense to whatever I want, how is this fundamentally different?
The most common use would be to add hp to modern units when compared to ancient units. No more tank v. spearman debates (hopefully). Hp is a more consistent solution than adjusting the a/d values.
Old April 19, 2002, 08:46   #3
SpencerH
Emperor

By consistent do you mean that it will be a more commonly accepted mod?
Old April 19, 2002, 09:05   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It can appear to be roughly the same, but it's fundamentally different to change HP rather than A/D value.
First, it smooth or sharpen the probability curve (more HP => more regular results, less HP => less previsible results).
Second, it allows to better reflect some special properties for custom units.
Old April 19, 2002, 10:52   #5
SpencerH
Emperor

What about using the HP to reflect the armour (as well as experience). For example an armoured bowman vs a WWII era infantryman. A/D values are measures of a units potential to do damage to each other but not their ability to withstand that damage. The infantryman carries a weapon with greater range (although not greater useful range) but with better accuracy and rate of fire than the bowman. These values are reflected in the A/D values. What isnt taken into account is that the bowman is wearing armour thus increasing his chances of surviving a successful attack by the infantryman.
Old April 19, 2002, 11:54   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
A/D values are measures of a units potential to do damage to each other but not their ability to withstand that damage.
IMHO,
  • the attack value is ONLY the measure of a unit's potential to do damage,
  • the defense value is EXACTLY the measure of its ability to withstand damage.
And if one wants to flatten out combat results, the best solution (again, IMHO) is to increase hitpoints for ALL units. Personally, I'll try this now that the graphical glitches associated with higher HP's are gone.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old April 19, 2002, 12:06   #7
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Yes, and if one (after having increased hitpoints) STILL thinks that tanks are losing against spearmen too often, there's always the possibility of tweaking A/D values for late game units (let's say a modern armor gets an attack value of 32 or 40 instead of 24).
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old April 19, 2002, 12:29   #8
Fitz
King

Local Time: 15:13
Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
the defense value is EXACTLY the measure of its ability to withstand damage.
Nope, defense value is exactly the measure of its ability to avoid damage.

HPS value is exactly the measure of its ability to withstand damage.
Old April 19, 2002, 12:37   #9
Fitz
King

Local Time: 15:13
If I might add, a two case example.

Attacker Attack=5 5hps
Defender 1, defense 5, 10 hps
Defender 2, defense 10, 5 hps

Defender 1 has a 50% chance to avoid taking damage (and inflict it in return). It can survive 9 such hits, and dies on the 10th.

Defender 2 has a 66% chance to avoid taking damage (and inflict it in return). It can survive 4 such hits, and dies on the 5th.

Moreover, if defender 1 survives 5 attacks by the attacking unit before killing it (ie 50%), he still has 5 hps which puts him on an equall footing with the attacker right behind the first one.

Whereas if defender 2 survives with 2 hits, he is significantly weakened against the next one.

I would also mention someone elses idea in a mod. Infantry low defense high hps, tanks high defense low hps. This allows for two specific kinds of anti-unit artillery, which will be relatively ineffective against the wrong unit. Anti personnel with high rate of fire but low attack (kills infantry well and quickly, passable against tank) and anti-tank with low rate of fire but high attack (hits and kills tanks quickly, hits infantry easily but takes several turns to kill).
Old April 19, 2002, 12:45   #10
SpencerH
Emperor

I'm not personally trying to flatten out anything anymore. I've re-worked the HP and the A/D numbers for all the units in my personal mod.

I'm trying to get some idea what if any use this editor function has? I can see an advantage for a scenario but not necessarily for a longer game. For example, you might want basic infantry and a "ranger" unit allowing the ranger unit 1 more hp to account for its status as an "elite" unit. The problem is that any unit that survives in combat gains the experience/expertise of the "elite" unit, but in the game wont have the same HP. Are we to believe that such units deflect bullets better?

I think Fitz has the right terminology, and by that definition using HP's to account for armour will add significant variation.

stoneage spearman with no armour +0HP
spearman with leather armour +1HP
bronze age spearman with bronze armour +2HP
ironage spearman with iron armour +3HP

Each of these units should have the same attack and defense based on their weapon usage, but the armour gives the advantage to the ironage spearman.
Old April 19, 2002, 12:46   #11
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fitz
If I might add, a two case example.

Attacker Attack=5 5hps
Defender 1, defense 5, 10 hps
Defender 2, defense 10, 5 hps

Defender 1 has a 50% chance to avoid taking damage (and inflict it in return). It can survive 9 such hits, and dies on the 10th.

Defender 2 has a 66% chance to avoid taking damage (and inflict it in return). It can survive 4 such hits, and dies on the 5th.

Moreover, if defender 1 survives 5 attacks by the attacking unit before killing it (ie 50%), he still has 5 hps which puts him on an equall footing with the attacker right behind the first one.

Whereas if defender 2 survives with 2 hits, he is significantly weakened against the next one.

I would also mention someone elses idea in a mod. Infantry low defense high hps, tanks high defense low hps. This allows for two specific kinds of anti-unit artillery, which will be relatively ineffective against the wrong unit. Anti personnel with high rate of fire but low attack (kills infantry well and quickly, passable against tank) and anti-tank with low rate of fire but high attack (hits and kills tanks quickly, hits infantry easily but takes several turns to kill).
Thats it
Old April 19, 2002, 12:48   #12
Non Flammable
Settler

With a good modder with some sense, this could make for a combat system that far outdoes Civ 2. I give this two thumbs way up.

The mod editor is far from complete, but this, with the bombard toggle you can set for the more modern sea/air units, things are looking pretty bright.