Old April 19, 2002, 12:14   #1
Free_Mumia
Settler

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How early to kill civs?
In my current game (monarch) I am the aztecs. We are all on a big continent shaped like a T. I am on the top part of the T and the top half of the tall part. When I started I found the babylonians and killed them in about 20 turns, I knew they would respawn. They respawned at the bottom part of the T. Then I saw the egyptians and killed them down to 1 city, also I killed the babylonians down to 1 city again. On the top part of T there is plenty of unsettled land and the cities I have there are not heavily defended, I was wondering I kill the Egyptians and Babylonians now, will they respawn? It's 30 BC right now. When does the AI consider itself dead enough not to respawn?
Old April 19, 2002, 12:58   #2
AlecTrevylan00
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:14
they've never respawned on me, and i killed 3/6 civs by 2000 BC, and there were whole continents unsettled until 1000 AD, when i settle them
Old April 20, 2002, 07:49   #3
Herr David
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There is no spawn/not spawn decision. At least I have never experienced a correlation between AI backwardness and the likelihood to respawn somewhere far, far away. Once I killed the Chinese, who had lingered along with one city between 2000BC and 500BC and they respawned. Another time I wiped out the Egyptians, who had been a world power until ten turns before (on a small map) and they didn't respawn, although there were two unsettled continents.

So far, about a third of the civs I wipe out get respawned. Makes for really annoying campaigns, especially if you were hoping for an end to war unhappiness under Democracy on a huge map.
Old April 20, 2002, 17:56   #4
Kizami
ACDG The Free Drones
Chieftain

I think ahe a.i.'s decision to re-spawn or not depends on how much unclaimed land is left in the world at the time of the civ's demise.
Old April 20, 2002, 19:11   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
I think so, too. Playing on a smallish map with all 16 civs, I can wipe out a civ with the 1st warrior i build and they won't respawn.
Old April 21, 2002, 11:43   #6
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
The patch let's you pick now
Old April 26, 2002, 13:43   #7
ledj
Settler

Sometimes if you sent military units to the unclaimed land will prevent AI's respawn in that area.
Old April 26, 2002, 15:01   #8
Vetinari
Settler

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I usually wait a while before starting my first war. Not because of fear of respawning, but because I will likely only get 2-3 cities from an early war. I find it a little irritating when my early-aincent army of 20 war chariots marches through Ghandi's 10 cities, I only take control of 3 of those, the rest are burned to the ground. And since I was busy producing war chariots in all my cities, I lose the settler race of the newly available territory, and some minor a##shole like Xerxes settles all over the place that MY troops cleard
Old April 27, 2002, 13:27   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Vetinari,

Taking / razing 30% or more of an enemy civ in the early game is a major accomplishment.

Xerxes is doing you a favor... consider it a gift of future expansion opportunities.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 28, 2002, 22:14   #10
Heartsurgeon
Settler

1. I try to take out any civ that's too close as fast as possible.

2. Early in the game there's no reason to raze cities, except maybe the enemy's capitol. If you capture a pop 1 or 2 city, take it over and start growing your own population there. Also, if you want to get rid of enemy citizens to prevent a size 3-4 city from jumping back, then jsut rush-build a temple and kill a couple off.

3. Early conquest is the only way you have a prayer of keeping up with the AI on emperor/diety levels.
Old April 29, 2002, 08:49   #11
Cookie Monster
King

I'm pretty sure that with the new patch you do have the option to "don't restart eliminated players". Eliminated civs never restart in any of my games. Probably if you fail to kill that last settler who makes it to some unoccupied land and settles then you have the illusion that they respawn? Just a thought........

I try to kill civs early in the game if my military advisor tells me we have a bigger army then them. The early land grab is very important and affects your final score. The more land you control the higher your average score per turn.
Old May 1, 2002, 20:57   #12
Coracle
Prince

"Free_Mumia" is one of the most offensive screen names yet.

I have a better one - FRY Mumia, the cop killer.

As for your question, it depends on the civ. Knock them off while you have a military advantage, especially with a superior UU. If you've developed Mounted Wariors do not wait until the Persians develop Immortals, for instance.
Old May 1, 2002, 21:05   #13
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

As for your question, it depends on the civ. Knock them off while you have a military advantage, especially with a superior UU. If you've developed Mounted Wariors do not wait until the Persians develop Immortals, for instance.
I agree with Coracle. Always try to wipeout somebody with an ancient UU if they are close.

Oh, Coracle, no mention of civ 2?!

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 6, 2002, 18:56   #14
Pelman
Settler

Local Time: 15:14
A lone settler didn't preserve a civ
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Probably if you fail to kill that last settler who makes it to some unoccupied land and settles then you have the illusion that they respawn? Just a thought........
I have taken out a civ's last city right after after a settler took off in a galley.
As soon as the city was taken I got the You-just-wiped-a-civ-off-the-face-of-the-earth message.
Old May 6, 2002, 23:35   #15
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
The respawn is based mainly on land area, if the computer thinks it can put a civ somewhere where it has the land area to grow, then it will respawn, obviously, if the whole world's colonized, then respawning is out of the question.

I've also noticed how sometimes a random city will appear when destruction is imminent for the civilization, for example, I torched Berlin in Europe in 3500 BC, yet I didn't get the killed a civ thing, I checked the retire map, and Liepzig was built in 3400 BC, in AUSTRALIA
Old May 9, 2002, 13:46   #16
DhulKhidr
Chieftain

Sure Coracle...
...Mumia's a cop-killer. I guess you believe that Rodney King really did pose a threat to those four rat-***tard cops who beat him with their clubs while he was laying down, face-first, in a puddle of his own blood.
Old May 9, 2002, 15:59   #17
Cookie Monster
King

Re: A lone settler didn't preserve a civ
Quote:
Originally posted by Pelman

I have taken out a civ's last city right after after a settler took off in a galley.
As soon as the city was taken I got the You-just-wiped-a-civ-off-the-face-of-the-earth message.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Old May 9, 2002, 18:46   #18
Tuberski

Re: Sure Coracle...
Quote:
Originally posted by DhulKhidr
...Mumia's a cop-killer. I guess you believe that Rodney King really did pose a threat to those four rat-***tard cops who beat him with their clubs while he was laying down, face-first, in a puddle of his own blood.
OT!!!

I try to keep little Civs around, if I have them contained. If I can't contain them I will wipe them out and hope they don't respawn. I keep the other civs contained until I'm sure they won't respawn.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 9, 2002, 22:31   #19
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I like to smash them down, so they will give you anything you ask for. The other AI's will trade them techs that they will drive too hard a deal for with you. Then Smash you vassel again and they will give you everything again.
Old May 9, 2002, 23:18   #20
Tuberski

RAH: My problem with that is the fact that once you go to war with them again you have to wait until they deign to acknowledge your emissary.......very frustrating.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:07   #21
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:14
How about just renegotiating peace?
Old May 10, 2002, 11:01   #22
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
RAH: My problem with that is the fact that once you go to war with them again you have to wait until they deign to acknowledge your emissary.......very frustrating.
Well it usually takes me a few turns to knock them down a few rungs. By then, they're begging to talk to you.

RAH
Old May 10, 2002, 20:56   #23
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Well it usually takes me a few turns to knock them down a few rungs. By then, they're begging to talk to you.

RAH
Until this morning I would have disagreed with you. Always before when I start wars I've always rushed to as many cities as I could, and keep doing so, so a lot of the time I cam wipe them out before they will talk to me.