Old April 19, 2002, 17:28   #31
Tuberski

Local Time: 18:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't even see PM in the theater, so I doubt I'll see the Clones. However reading about it they say that near the end of it, it starts turning into a darker movie. We can only hope that includes the "removal" of Jar-Jar Stinks.

Oh, I also knew my marriage was over when my ex-wife actually was LAUGHING at Jar-Jar.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 19, 2002, 17:31   #32
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 19:14
Lonestar, Warlord of the Geeks checking in.

I intend to see it. Along with Spider-Man.

Booyah!
Old April 19, 2002, 19:30   #33
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I will go see it. Probably a matinee on a Tuesday two to four weeks after release.

Phantom Menace deflated any excitment I have had for the Star Wars story, and I had a lot!
Old April 19, 2002, 21:59   #34
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

http://www.enixine.co.uk/episode1ispants.html for a few (badly HTMLed) points against Ep1.

As for Ep2, I think George Lucas mentioned something about the cheesy name "Attack of the Clones" being intentional. Apparently, he wanted to remind people about the crap 70s and 60s sci fi films that had no plot, execrable acting, and special effects that age badly.

I hate to say this, but such a film already exists, and it's called Episode I.
Old April 19, 2002, 22:11   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I hate to say this, but such a film already exists, and it's called Episode I.
And IV, V, VI .

Seriously, why do people think the first trilogy was filled with amazing movies?

They were fun, no plot, special effects films
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old April 19, 2002, 22:17   #36
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 23:14
Quote:
Seriously, why do people think the first trilogy was filled with amazing movies?
I would agree except for Empire Strikes Back. That seemed to be a darker more adult movie than the others, along with a considerable expansion of the Stars Wars universe.

I wont see this if Lucas makes another digital puppet show for 12 year olds. The series, as derivative as it is, still deserves better than Episode I.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old April 19, 2002, 22:32   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I would agree except for Empire Strikes Back. That seemed to be a darker more adult movie than the others, along with a considerable expansion of the Stars Wars universe.
Ok, I'd take that as an exception. The dark parts were very nice, and made for a very good cliffhanger.

But, ROTJ is nothing more than a kids sci-fi movie .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old April 19, 2002, 22:38   #38
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

The little eight year old in me who remembers Star Wars with awe drug me to Episode I. When I got there, Lucas used the opportunity to stomp the snot out of that little eight year old with Jar Jar's big flat feet.

I'll see the clone thingy when it comes out on DVD.
Old April 19, 2002, 23:47   #39
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I actually am not that impressed with A New Hope, and Return of the Jedi does have its annoying points (but also some crucial answers and finality).

But The Empire Strikes Back is most definately a good, awe inspiring sci-fi film.

Yoda- "Mmm.. many emotion you feel watching this movie.. hmm!!"
Old April 20, 2002, 00:03   #40
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, a movie about the Clone Wars might just be interesting. I read the story in some SW books and it sounds like it could make an entertaining movie.

Quote:
Speaking of Star Wars, has anyone played Jedi Knight II? It looks interesting but I have never played a FPS game before. Would you recomend the game to a newbie?
Not sure, but JK 1 didn't entertain me much. If you want some really good FPS, try System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2, and Deus Ex. Besides Deus Ex, they are all old games, so you should be able to get them cheap too.
Old April 20, 2002, 00:11   #41
Sarxis
Emperor

I have JK2.

Played through 4 levels and some multiplayer thus far. Its... Ok.

I am not that inspired by it. The graphics are.. fine. Its based on the Quake3 engine, which is overdue to be put out of its gib.

Also- unless you have at least 256mb of RAM, and an otherwise decent computer (P3/4 1Ghz or equivalent, etc...), expect some skippy gameplay due to the large levels (which aren't really THAT large; but appreciably large).

The puzzles are somewhat fun, and not too hard.

The one thing that is kinda kewl is the classic way Stormtroopers flop and fly around after being killed: straight from the movies!

I give it an 8 (marginally) out of 10. I guess its just too much like the original JK, and so many other FPS games out there.
Old April 20, 2002, 01:37   #42
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Simplicity really is best when it comes to the Star Wars universe. In PM, they got so wrapped up in all that they could do with computers and such that they forgot about any kind of story. RTJ just plain insuilted the intellegence of the audience.

Things to make it Star Wars again

less reliance on Computer effects and more time on story

stop trying to sell the damn toys.

Keep well know actors out of the movie. (with the exception of Sam L Jackson. He seemed ok.)

accept the fact that you just can't beat a shot of Darth Vader stepping down from a shuttle craft of scaring the **** out of his officers. Darth Maul could have been cool. But he didn't quite cut it in the badass department next to Darth Vader. And hell, Vader could hardly move.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old April 20, 2002, 02:17   #43
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well, Attack of Clones is supposed to be the prequals' ESB. It is supposed to be happy in the beginning, and then get dragged into the Clone Wars, and then Anakin's turning.

Of course the 3rd one is going to be amazing. One of the first movies where just about all the good guys die (and Sam Jackson admitted it on Conan O'Brien... every good Jedi except Ewen McGregor's Obi Wan, and Yoda die).
Old April 20, 2002, 02:20   #44
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
It does seem funny, time has made it seem that Star Wars is a cinematic masterpiece, when it is, is brainless entertainment. PM fit into that. Yes, it was a bit more childish than the others, but not horribly so.

Damn, that was funny! An influential movie? Yes, by all means. A cinematic masterpiece?

(Reading your later words makes me think you meant the above sarcastically. If so, pardon my density. But still... "cinematic masterpiece"! )

I too thought it sucked how the LOTR people unleashed their voting bots on poor ol' IMDB to vote it the third greatest film of all time. I think that perhaps IMDB should not allow votes for any film until it is a year old.

Am I going to go see it? Of course - it is Star Wars after all. Am I looking forward to it? Not really.
Old April 20, 2002, 02:25   #45
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Reading your later words makes me think you meant the above sarcastically. If so, pardon my density.
Your density is pardoned .
Old April 20, 2002, 03:33   #46
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Speaking of Star Wars, has anyone played Jedi Knight II? It looks interesting but I have never played a FPS game before. Would you recomend the game to a newbie?
The only FPS game I would recommend to a newbie is the original DOOM. It is simple enough that someone not familiar with how it plays can learn it quick, and it gives enough of a challenge and thrill to the beginner. If you like it, move on to the newer games with the 3-D worlds and fifteen upgradable weapons with three type of ammo for each. If you don't like it, you haven't wasted time and money.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 20, 2002, 06:24   #47
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:14
I love Doom

I have very fond memories of it all these years later

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old April 20, 2002, 07:35   #48
Sava

Episode II is going to rock. It's going to be a dark film like Empire Strikes back was. IMO, Empire was the best of them all. Episode disappointed me a little bit, but it was still good. I hated the kid who played Anakin, and Jar Jar, well, I wanted him to die.

Ewan McGregor, in an interview with Maxim magazine, said that Episode 2 is going to "rock" and he admitted that Episode 1 "sucked a little bit".

Apparantly, the way the movies were made, the cast didn't even know the full story. Each scene was shot separate and out of order. In the same interview, Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa) said that he didn't even know what was going to happen in Episode ][.

According to Lucas, there are "tons of light sabre battles".

I'm not going to camp outside a theatre, but I definitely am going to see this movie. I enjoy the political aspects of those movies better than anything else (the emperor coming to power).

Old April 20, 2002, 07:38   #49
Sava

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I love Doom

I have very fond memories of it all these years later
Yeah, I remember playing multiplayer Doom and Doom ][ on local bulletin boards. I actually got mono one year because I would stay up until 2 in the morning playing, then only get 3 hours of sleep and go to school the next day.

Kudos to iD software. Those games and Civ got me into making computer games. Next year, when I get my degree in CS, I shall be getting paid to do what I love!

Old April 20, 2002, 07:41   #50
Provost Harrison
Deity

Congratulations. My two all time faves too

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old April 20, 2002, 07:47   #51
Sava

Quote:
Congratulations. My two all time faves too
You're awesome Provost.

Old April 20, 2002, 07:47   #52
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:14
I remember playing Wolfenstein (the original one) all those years back, then going out to the markets one day and seeing the Doom demo for the first time. Wow!
No walls weirdly changing shape as you turned around, people actually going up and down stairs, the sheer speed and violence of the game... I was hooked.
Id sure struck gold with that one.
Old April 20, 2002, 08:14   #53
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 09:14
I am so not suprised that all the chumps who loved the dreadful Lord of the Rings film, hated The Phantom Menace. [Why I continue to have a peek at this forum I don't know - maybe to torture myself].

I for one am extremely looking forward to Attack of the Clones. I also liked The Phantom Menace. Sure, Jar Jar and his entire race were annoying, but that doesn't spoil the film for me.

Either way, it is usually hype that builds expectations beyond realistic levels, so I think a lot of people will be suprised at how great this film will be. I am suggesting it will rival the originals - who needs Han and co.? Get over them. The story of Anakin is far more interesting to me.

Bkeela.
Old April 20, 2002, 08:21   #54
Provost Harrison
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

You're awesome Provost.
That's not the first time someone has said that. Last time, it went in my sig
Old April 20, 2002, 08:22   #55
Provost Harrison
Deity

Bkeela, you lack taste

Old April 20, 2002, 08:40   #56
Sava

Quote:

That's not the first time someone has said that. Last time, it went in my sig
I know, it was me! Although my name was SoulAssassin then .

I had to create a new account when I formatted my hard drive because I forgot my password and I had a new ISP (email). So I figured I'd just create a new account.

Old April 20, 2002, 09:04   #57
Provost Harrison
Deity

Ah, that was you was it, I never realised. Haha.

Old April 20, 2002, 10:00   #58
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Each scene was shot separate and out of order.
Well, I would hope so! After all, that is the way things are done, you know - I can only think of one movie that was shot according to how things played out on the screen... but I don't remember the name right now.

It's also not uncommon for actors to be kept in the dark about the ending, though it is more common in TV than in Film.

-----

Sophie wants to say something: zdf mnkk0upik90

Amazing how the mind of a six-month old works.
Old April 20, 2002, 11:38   #59
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I'll probably see it sooner or later, but certainly not an opening night kind of thing.
Unfortunately it looks like 2 is going to be the teenybopper movie. Oh well, the F/X should be good.

--"The preponderance of movie fans seem to think that LOTR was a fabulous film,"

Well, that's fine, but do keep in mind the kind of things that take in big box office numbers. Just because a lot of people like it doesn't make it any good.

--"BTW - the Jar Jar creature really isn't funny"

Heh. Take a look for something titled "The Phantom Edit"

--"The Two Towers is my must see movie."

It's probalby best for fantasy fans who aren't too into Tolkein's books. I found too many unnecessary (read: stupid and pointless) changes from the books, and they really should not have tried to add scenes (that staff fight... since when does Middle Earth have the WWF?).

--"However reading about it they say that near the end of it, it starts turning into a darker movie."

The real dark one should be #3. That one I'll probably be making a point of seeing. Considering the subject matter it's supposed to cover, it should be the best of the prequel trilogy, just like Empire Strikes Back was the best of the original trilogy.

Wraith
"I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring."
-- Richard Feynman's last words
Old April 20, 2002, 12:11   #60
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 23:14
Just because a film gets big box office doesn't make it good either... Home Alone? Titanic?

Godfather never made massive boxoffice, but is arguably the best film of all time.

LOTR stands to be the only true epic film available;

3 films all part of a whole, based on excellent material.

Its the only true trilogy ever made. (trilogy meaning where films are part of a whole and not a sequence of three individual films)