Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 18:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Seems the Firaxians can't please anyone

I'm happy....but my wife says I'm easy.
I was pleased to no end with Civ 2, despite some occasional AI weirdness. We ALL loved Civ 2. So we can very definitely be pleased to the extent that we'd be playing the same game for over five years and praising it to the skies.

The same people who loved Civ 2 feel quite differently about this Civ 3. Why? It gave us a lot of junk we never wanted (Culture Flipping, for one); changed or left out stuff we did like (scenarios, for one); did not add so many features we wanted and discussed online for years (Firaxis never even looked), and besides all that it is a beta product. The Editor remains inadeqaute, also.
Old April 19, 2002, 23:05   #32
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Quote:
I'm happy....but my wife says I'm easy.

It was worth reading through this entire (painful) thread just for that comment!!
Absolutely!

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 19, 2002, 23:20   #33
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Coracle,

I mostly agree with many of your remarks, but I've got a different opinion about cultural flipping. I think it opens a valid/attractive alternative to war conquering.

IMO they should make it even more viable, so you can go for a 'cultural flip over' war more easily. Right now cultural reversals are too rare IMO. I've got a nice deity game where I was aiming to win by massive flip overs of newly conquered cities on other AI's by the nr1 AI civ. Unluckily, this strategy doesn't function as it could be as it takes ways too long before an evident 'must flip over' occurs.

AJ
Old April 19, 2002, 23:28   #34
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 17:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
The problem is that some whining is constructive, yet the type seen today is derogatory, it makes them take Apolyton less seriously.

Hit the nail on the head!
Old April 19, 2002, 23:33   #35
ACooper
Prince

Re: Re: We should all be ashamed!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

I wasn't there so I can't a test to the uncivil conduct you are refering to but I must say you could stand a little "adjusting" too. What's with calling people who enjoy MP whiners? Face the facts Cooper, these people have every right to have their questions anwsered just like you do. Even if they're concerned about different issues.
If I was misunderstood let me explain:

I want MP also. The problem was the repeated logins and stuff like that.

For the record, "No comment" is a perfectly valid comment in any situation, especially business.
Old April 19, 2002, 23:37   #36
ACooper
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle

The same people who loved Civ 2 feel quite differently about this Civ 3. Why? It gave us a lot of junk we never wanted (Culture Flipping, for one); changed or left out stuff we did like (scenarios, for one); did not add so many features we wanted and discussed online for years (Firaxis never even looked), and besides all that it is a beta product. The Editor remains inadeqaute, also.
I love Civ 1 and Civ 2 and have played both extensively. Cultural assimilation was discussed and asked for on this board and others.

What makes you say this is a beta product? It is completely playable to those of us who can grow beyond the way we played civ2.

Grow up. Play right.
Old April 20, 2002, 00:42   #37
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper

Grow up. Play right.
Yes Mommy.
Old April 20, 2002, 00:50   #38
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper

What makes you say this is a beta product? It is completely playable to those of us who can grow beyond the way we played civ2.

Grow up. Play right.
agreed. but the fact is (and call it whining if you wish, alrough i'm just pointing my finger) that their preorders said multiplayer was included, and then 2 weeks before release, they took all signs of multiplayer away.

i'm fairly sure there were people who didn't notice in time.