Old April 20, 2002, 01:09   #1
neotek
Settler

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Colonies improved in 1.21f!?
Hey guys,

I've noticed something very promising when using colonies with the new patch =)

After playing with 1.21 almost nonstop since the patch came out yesterday....yes, I have come to the conclusion that after careful observation, the COLONIES actually seem to be more viable than before, at least on the difficulty levels I was playing on (warlord and regent) in comparison to how they used to be.

First let me state that I hardly ever used colonies prior to this patch, they were basically useless and the AI would plop a city next to them and absorb them as soon as they could teleport a settler over there!

But now...hmm, I have seen that OVER HALF THE TIME I've made a colony, even in close proximity to some AI borders, they tend to LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!! They almost seem to have an invisible border zone...perhaps of 1 that we can not see and I am hoping Firaxis will respond to deny/confirm whether they tweaked colonies a bit?

The only time I still see the AI swallowing my colonies is if they fall within the initial radius of their new city as it is founded. But if it is beyond that initial radius, the AI border does not seem to encroach on the colony as soon as before.

Well, I hope you all try it yourself and post your own experiences with colonies in 1.21f.

Whatever it is, the game overall seems to play VERY nicely, with more strategic decisions back on the table.

So hooray for colonies at least in the early game, they are working for me!

Neotek
Old April 20, 2002, 01:10   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:16
Can you post a save?
Old April 20, 2002, 02:25   #3
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
Very people will ever know that about colonies because they long ago stopped using them.

I can find no reference in the Readme; maybe I missed it.

If what you say is true, it SHOULD have been clearly stated in the Readme. So I guess I'll have to try a colony and see what happens.
Old April 20, 2002, 02:42   #4
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:16
I had yet to notice. Thanks Firaxis. 1.21f is a good patch as far as gameplay is concerned. The editor is a bit of a disappointment though.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:11   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
eugh, Grrr, didn't we agree on speaking dutch?!!::-):
Old April 20, 2002, 23:56   #6
Grrr
King

Ach, ya, waarom niet. Niet dat ik er wat van kan. Ik heb de eerste drie jaar van mijn zestien jaarig leven nederlands geleerd. Zins toen niets niemandal. Maar zoals u kunt zijn, lees ik nog steeds Dommel.

Dus zijn die kolonies nu opgedaan of niet?!
Old April 21, 2002, 00:11   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
Ach, ya, waarom niet. Niet dat ik er wat van kan. Ik heb de eerste drie jaar van mijn zestien jaarig leven nederlands geleerd. Zins toen niets niemandal. Maar zoals u kunt zijn, lees ik nog steeds Dommel.

Dus zijn die kolonies nu opgedaan of niet?!

well, that depends, do you have a colony on your mansion?
allways wanted to emigrate to N.Z.
as far away from belgium as possible

btw, , can't answer your Q so i'm gonna leave for now
Old April 21, 2002, 00:16   #8
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:16
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

well, that depends, do you have a colony on your mansion?
allways wanted to emigrate to N.Z.
as far away from belgium as possible

btw, , can't answer your Q so i'm gonna leave for now
wtf is wrong with belgium?
Old April 21, 2002, 00:20   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It doesn't have any colonies? Or why we should get back to the topic of the thread.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:39   #10
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
It doesn't have any colonies? Or why we should get back to the topic of the thread.
lol;

don"t get me wrong, but i always wanted to go to neverneverland ,Too late now

was in your neighbourhood last year thouh( thailand), ok give or take a few thousand miles
still.....
well, if you wanne do an exchange........antwerp IS beautifull!!!!!!!!!!
eugh, that's belgium, ok europe, you can find it in any atlas!! even an american(had to, sorry!!! )
Old April 21, 2002, 00:42   #11
notyoueither
Deity

I'm Canadian. I can locate Belguim on a map. Amrkans who live 300 mile south of me think I live in an igloo.

There are some well educated ones though. You'll find most around here are brighter than the average.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:46   #12
Grrr
King

When I can find the digital camera I'll post some pictures of my "mansion" in the Off Topic forum, and PM you a link. It is 200m² house on 5Ha, an hours drive from Wellington.

And no, I don't have a colony here .

Sorry about the OT in this thread.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:48   #13
alva
Deity

Quote:
I'm Canadian. I can locate Belguim on a map. Amrkans who live 300 mile south of me think I live in an igloo.

There are some well educated ones though. You'll find most around here are brighter than the average.
as it happens, this time next year i might live in canada!!
ou en francais, ....no in english
Old April 21, 2002, 01:00   #14
morb
Chieftain

Quote:

well, you guys call it a "house" but what you call a "house" we call an igloo.

BTW, I'm originally from the "land of the frozen north" myself, but one which spans different continants.
Old April 21, 2002, 01:03   #15
notyoueither
Deity

Sorry Markos, this threads too far gone. I declare it the 'lets talk about where we're from thread' Apropos considering I live in a former (and still) colony...
Old April 21, 2002, 01:09   #16
alva
Deity

Quote:
Sorry Markos, this threads too far gone. I declare it the 'lets talk about where we're from thread' Apropos considering I live in a former (and still) colony...
just lol
this IS a good thread
Old April 21, 2002, 08:48   #17
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 00:16
Quote:
well, if you wanne do an exchange........antwerp IS beautifull!!!!!!!!!!
eugh, that's belgium, ok europe, you can find it in any atlas!! even an american(had to, sorry!!! )

Of course it IS! (smal but beautiful/highly enjoyable)

All right, things are going off topic again. WHAT's WRONG WITH THOSE DUTCH SPEAKING PERSONS LATELY?

Kunnen jullie niet allemaal normaal en beschaafd doen?

(can't you guys act normally and civilized ?)

Kind of like it though ... We could make a compromise (typical Belgian) : we'll make a hybrid thread of this one ... posting about colonies if you have new thoughts/insights that you just MUST share ... and ...

making this a 'coming out' thread (regarding nationality/nations and cultures all around, mind you, not the movie aspect ) ...

Morb, nothing's wrong with Belgium. In fact it's one of the best places to live in the world in terms of welfare and education (as proven by many international economical reports).

For most foreigners (especially Americans ) , Belgium is pretty unknown, but Brussels (our capital) is more known around as it households NATO's headquarters and is (together with Frankfurt) an important political centre of Europe (European Parliament).

Belgium has three federacies (Dutch speaking --> the Flemish; French speaking --> the Wallons; and very minorally German speaking; a 'gift' from Germany after WW2), yet we're not fighting with each other (yet )

The Israelis and Palestinians might learn something from our way I suppose, but both are somewhat too blinded by emotions to notice, I suppose
(not coming back to this subject again, this is meant to be a friendly place)

Locutus, wat was dat de vorige keer over die Finnen? Wat is het probleem daarmee
(Locutus, last time you referred to the Fins. What's the 'problem' there?)

AJ
Old April 21, 2002, 10:17   #18
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

i'm an educated american

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 21, 2002, 17:39   #19
Securion
Settler

And I who thought "evolution" was only recently put on the americans schooldesks? Do you guys in america still burn witches?

Old April 21, 2002, 17:40   #20
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:

Grrrrrrrr! As an American, I take more than a small amout of slight to that comment. Hell, I am even culutraly sensitive. In my office, I posted a sign reading "blame Canada", posted it again, en frencies, just to make any canuks feel at home...

Besides, from where I am sitting (SF bay Area), climtologicaly, you _do_ live in an igloo!

Remember the World Trade Center
Old April 21, 2002, 18:27   #21
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hmmm. There's an interesting thread gone down the toilet.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:46   #22
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Cory
Grrrrrrrr! As an American, I take more than a small amout of slight to that comment. Hell, I am even culutraly sensitive. In my office, I posted a sign reading "blame Canada", posted it again, en frencies, just to make any canuks feel at home...

Besides, from where I am sitting (SF bay Area), climtologicaly, you _do_ live in an igloo!
Go ahead and 'Blame Canada' We do it all the time ourselves, when we're not blaming the US that is...

Note that I mentioned there are some intelligent, well educated Americans. Pity you're in the minority. We could start the T&P educational foundation to lend a hand if you wish.

Cort Haus. We're waiting for others to confirm or deny the phenomenon of the colonies in the first post.
Old April 21, 2002, 19:03   #23
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:16
Before Civ3 was released, I had thought that Colonies were going to bring in a small amount of resources (food, commerce, raw material). Of course, this ins't the case.

And since the resources they do bring in (specials) are so important in context of the game, I always build cities on them for the protection.

Colonies- go away! Or come back useful.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:00   #24
Captain
King

Can you build fortresses on top of colonies? i lent out my game and won't get it back until next week. If so, that could help protect the colonies.

BTW, I changed my mod to have citizens eat 3 food. Thus, colonies are useful because cities die in the desert and tundra without irrigation. Colonies are less hassle & cheaper (1 pop) compared to settler & worker to irrigate city (3 pop), and often i just can't wait for my borders to expand into no-man's land. Colonies also have more staying power as cities founded in deserts and tundra (without irrigation) don't last long enough to absorb them.

For those wondering about how anything can grow in despotism with a 3 food req, i removed the tile cap until i could think of a solution. i figure the rampant corruption was bad enough for despots - plus i cut down on free military.

I did this not so much for colony benefit but for less city diarrhea. Settlement went slower and balanced the flow better, IMHO. I know others were working on similar mods, how did you go about it?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:17   #25
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I'm an american, and this is the first time I've been called a foreigner. Heh. But I do know some canadians!
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 21, 2002, 21:18   #26
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
Can you build fortresses on top of colonies? i lent out my game and won't get it back until next week. If so, that could help protect the colonies.

short answer. Yes, no problem!!
Old April 21, 2002, 21:25   #27
Captain
King

Quote:
short answer. yes, no problem!!

thanks