Old April 20, 2002, 05:17   #1
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 18:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Have You Ever Seen The AI Attack Antares?
I have never lost a game because the AI defeated Antares, nor have I recieved any message saying that it had tried. Has this ever happened to anyone here?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2002, 09:21   #2
Zealot
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Come to think about it, no, I think they never attacked Antares.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2002, 21:02   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:17
No. If they could you would have been eliminated already.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2002, 22:14   #4
LordEd
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:17
never in all my years of playing MOO2... odd
Old April 23, 2002, 10:55   #5
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 17:17
No. If they could you would have been eliminated already.

I have seen AI fleets that could take Antares easily and I have still won the game.
Old April 23, 2002, 12:33   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, I have as well. I meant that if they had beat the Antarians, they would have likely have beat the game. I do not even recall seeing the Dimension Gate built on any of their planets. It is like Moo, they never went after Orion in that game and it seems they do not go after Antarians in Moo2. Anyway a fleet large enough to do the job with a human manning it is not necessarily large enough with the AI running it. They tend to have older equipment and poor technics. I play on hard most of the time and go against some huge fleets at times and beat them with much smaller fleets. Often destroy large numbers before they get in a shot. If you have gotten the armour from Orion, they do very little damage to you, while you whack them. Most games I do not let them get a large fleet built. Sometimes I will leave them alone long enough to have them put up a big fleet for fun.
Old April 23, 2002, 15:14   #7
Garth Vader
King

I have a game going right now with AI races that I massively enhanced using meltpot. I am playing on impossible but for some reason wasn't attacked for most of the game.

2 AI races are now huge, after taking out a number of the ai races, both with around 80 votes while I only have 40.

One decided to attack me. First attack was about 40 doom stars, 30 titans, and a bunch of smaller ships. All doom stars had a stellar converter on it. They had so many ships they couldn't all fit on the map and some were left over.

I took the whole fleet out with about 20 titans and a number of smaller ships, and only lost about 10 titans and all the smaller ships.

They had another fleet of about the same strength which attacked the next turn, but I had to let it trash a couple of planets before I had enough titans.

I think that even with the AI's poor tactics 40 stellar converters would take Antares.

I could take Antares easily, but am having more fun fighting these massive battles.

Most games I don't let this happen either, but I was surrounded very quickly by one of these two races and was unable to attack them, and didn't have contact with anybody else for a long time.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:49   #8
Forrest Gimp
Settler

Local Time: 23:17
Nope, and the AI will never ask YOU as a human player. for dimensional portal as well during trades, (even 4 crappy anti-missle rockets) even though it's still hi tech. That's because it never uses it. You will also notice that you will never see an AI owned star system have a dimensional portal built either (even though it takes only 1-2 turns to build.)
Forrest Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2002, 16:49   #9
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Garth,

I do not remember that many ships being possible in MOO2?

Explain AI races massively enhanced using meltpot ??

R:PM
Old April 25, 2002, 18:22   #10
vmxa1
Deity

The number of ships is a function of Command Points. A few technologies increase them, but mainly it is controlled by the number and types of bases. Star Fortresses gives the most, so the more planets and Bases you have the more ships. In a larger galaxy that can be a large number, especially if you do not make many friegthers. Actually you can exceed your Command Points, but it cost you money.
Old April 26, 2002, 12:00   #11
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Howdy vmxa1,

Yeah, it has been a while since I played this game. I remember the points system as a confining moment in play. I generally played large galaxies and cannot remember having more than 12-15 ships. As I remember, the ship size had something to do with the point system as well.

Old April 26, 2002, 14:46   #12
vmxa1
Deity

Yes it does. I do not have the manual or guide any more, so I can not give the exact values. In a average size universe I will make around 30 battleships and 4-6 titians by the end of the game. This is at hard level. I run into the limit 2 or 3 times before I get enough tech and bases to ignore it. In a large universe I still make about the same amount. This is because by then I have eliminated all large fleets and do not have to worry about attacks. If I have antarians on (normally off unless I want to run up the score) I will upgrade all ships before the battle. The increase in guns is like having twice as many ships as before.
Old April 26, 2002, 16:31   #13
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I remember space combat being buggy and micromanagment of my planets being a big turn off. I've been thinking about reinstalling....am I remembering correctly?

Old April 26, 2002, 17:58   #14
Garth Vader
King

Meltpot is a race editor, so I made my own races. You can make races using as many positives as you want so most of my AI races are enhanced.

Don't ask me where to get meltpot anymore I have had it installed for years.

Combat was buggy in the first few versions and in multiplayer. In V1.31 single player everything works fine.
Old April 26, 2002, 18:09   #15
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Garth,

Thank for the reply! Any idea where I can find the patch....Hmmm I wonder if it is in the patches directory of my PC gamer disk???

I know, I know...check there first R:PM!
Old April 26, 2002, 19:55   #16
vmxa1
Deity

Patch is at GamesDomain. I found it by going to GoneGold and then GoldGuide and finding MOOII. This list fans sites and stuff and the patch. The 1.31 patch is solid. Micromanagement is in the eye of the beholder. I is not as severe as say Civ. Note as easy as say Stars!, where you can script the building once and use it for each planet.
Old April 27, 2002, 00:46   #17
vmxa1
Deity

I just remembered that if you have the Warlord trait you get +2 command points for each colony. In any event the max number of ships is 100.
Old April 28, 2002, 15:46   #18
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Vmxa1,

Thanks!

One last time, does anyone know where to get meltpot????

Old April 29, 2002, 00:16   #19
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
One last time, does anyone know where to get meltpot????
Don't know about "meltpot" but Corion2 is up at

http://orion.rihkama.net/

Along with a few others.

PS: Note - If giving extra adds to an AI race, make sure you don't give out all of them otherwise the game will crash if an AI researches Evolutionary Mutation.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2002, 10:49   #20
Garth Vader
King

Meltpot allows you to remove techs from the tech tree. Removing Evolutionary Mutation is what I do.

I did a quick search for Meltpot but couldn't find it. I have it at home, but don't remember how big it is.
Old April 29, 2002, 12:11   #21
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Ahh, google is your friend. Searched on Moo2 meltpot, one hit and struck gold.

http://members.tripod.com/~AOFS/down.html

Thanks for everyones help!

Old April 29, 2002, 16:09   #22
vmxa1
Deity

I get error page not available when trying to get meltpot or the movie.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:21   #23
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Vmxa1,

You are correct sir! Looks like all the links xept a few are broken. The search lives on!

Old April 30, 2002, 11:44   #24
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Garth or Vmxa1,

What about the program called race?

http://www.dualelement.com/games/Mas...rion/files.htm ??

Does it sound like that is close to what meltpot does? Seems like this guy even fixed the Evolutionary mutation bug.

Old April 30, 2002, 12:55   #25
vmxa1
Deity

I can't say, because I never saw Meltpot. Raceed allows you to change the races in your current game. I used it once to see what it could do. It can allow you to play a map that you may otherwise have skip. In my case, I may get a map that has many planets that are barren or worse. I may want to play that one, except that it has the Silicoids. I would be given them too much of an edge if say 65% of the planets are barren or worse. If I use raceed to remove the silicoids, I am now on the same footing as the AI, else I would have to generate a new map. Another use could be that you created a map you like, but had your mind set on playing against a given race and it was not in that map, bingo change one to the one you want. I played for 7 years before I found out that these editors exist.
Old May 1, 2002, 17:01   #26
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Thanks vmxa1,

Have you used any of the other editors? Do you have any comments on them?

Old May 1, 2002, 18:16   #27
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I like Corion (I think that's what it's called), but I haven't tried the others. You can change racial attributes, leaders, entire star systems mid-game if you want; I imagine you can add and remove races wholesale as well.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2002, 19:41   #28
vmxa1
Deity

I have Corion or Corion2, whatever it is called. I have not used, or if I have I have forgotten. I have Planeted and Shiped. I have tried them and they work fine. Shipped, I do not use, but tested and it can be fun, but it is too easy to make say a scout that can beat anything in the game. This is fun once. Planeted can be used to move a planet or modify them in nearly any way. I do not use it any longer either for the same reason. You can give yourself any planet and make it anything the game allows. It is too unbalancing in a small universe on hard level. I tried it by thinking I could change one planet into a large terran and giving it to me as owner. It made the game too easy. I could see a use for say making a bad map worth playing. I f you get a map with no habitable planets near you, you could change one to habitable, rather than generating a new map. I now prefer to take whatever I get and make the best of it. I normally play once a week or so. A month or two back I was helping a friend learn the game and got into a streak of 15-20 games.
Old May 2, 2002, 10:51   #29
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Ya I've been wanting to reinstall this to play it again. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to boot my home PC, it gave me a can load windows cuz I'm missing a file message. Looks like I'll be reloading windows again.

I felt like MOO1 had less micromanagment issues, so that was my preferred MOO.
Also, I remember playing for a long time and suffering crashes. That was another reason for the preference of MOO1. But patched with new enhancement tools, maybe I'll give it a try.

PS Do you also continue to play Civ3?

Old May 2, 2002, 11:32   #30
vmxa1
Deity

Oh yeah. I play Moo every week or so and Moo2 once every month or so. I played civ2 every now and then until civ3 came out. I played it every day for awhile and now it has been like Moo2. You should not have crashes on Civ3 or Moo2 if you have the latest patches (1.21f and 1.131 respectively). Just finished Stars! again and I get in a Space Empires now and then. Starting up a Might and Magic game now (IX). I get in one of them (VI/VII/VIII, now IX) every few months. Still trying to finish Heroes IV campaigns as well. I have lots of time now as I am out of work for the first time in 30 years.