Old April 14, 2001, 09:10   #1
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
More details about the resource system?
I know none of this is official, but what are your thoughts about the following possible aspects of the resource system?

IMO:

Stockpiling of resources:- Not harmful, but not neccessary. Conclusion: I don't really care.

Stacking of resources:- I think this should be allowed and give you added benefit, but it ought to be capped at some point (say 3 resource units) to force you to diversify.

Types of resources:- Two types of resources are mentioned. One enables you to build certain units and the other gives you luxuries. It would be nice if there also were some resources with other effects.

Any comments?
Old April 14, 2001, 09:30   #2
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
Stack of resources-

From what I could see in the screenshots -the city screen of the "Wise Panads"- it seems that the city had access to a lot of resources (assuming the available resources were the small icons on the upper right corner).

And just as an opinion, what should be available resources reduced to three? It's like forcing the player to try an ICS strategy. At least, we couldn't play a OCC challenge anymore.
Old April 14, 2001, 09:36   #3
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by Fiera on 04-14-2001 09:30 AM
And just as an opinion, what should be available resources reduced to three? It's like forcing the player to try an ICS strategy. At least, we couldn't play a OCC challenge anymore.

You misunderstood me. I meant they should cap stacking of the same resource type at three, not resources in general.
Old April 14, 2001, 09:45   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
IMHO, I believe the "stacking/stockpiling" of a given resource should be limited to 5 of the same type, not 3 - This would lend to the idea of having a monopoly on the given resource.

Yes, I hope the resources will be given more of a roll than just two - resources to build units and resources for luxuries. What about a resource for city build (improvement) projects - ie, concrete/bricks (you normally wouldn't use this to build a unit with, but you would for constructing buildings). What about a resource to help your technology research (silicon for example)?

Well, for what it's worth, that's my two-cents worth.
Old April 14, 2001, 10:10   #5
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by Wittlich on 04-14-2001 09:45 AM
IMHO, I believe the "stacking/stockpiling" of a given resource should be limited to 5 of the same type, not 3 - This would lend to the idea of having a monopoly on the given resource.

Fair enough, three was an arbitary number I chose, anyway. Besides, it would be nice if the number was editable in rules.txt.
Old April 14, 2001, 11:22   #6
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 01:52
quote:

Originally posted by Roman on 04-14-2001 09:36 AM
You misunderstood me. I meant they should cap stacking of the same resource type at three, not resources in general.

Oops, sorry, Roman! Yeah, I see your point now. Fair enough.
Old April 14, 2001, 16:42   #7
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:52
Stockpiling: No way. Fortunately, It doesn't look like Firaxis is using this.

Stacking: Sure, as long as there is a logical limit (3 or 4)

Types: I like things to be constant, but if there must be different types, only have a few so you can keep track of them easily.

------------------
- Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
Old April 14, 2001, 21:01   #8
SerapisIV
King

How do you stack a resource? It sounds like the resources are going to be something inherent to the map, not something you can move around? Maybe resources with complimentary effects, like beef and salt. You can transport them further, they'd be worth more.
Old April 14, 2001, 21:51   #9
Cyclotron
King

Stacking means that you have more than one route of that resource, and that the results from these routes are cumulative. If I was recieving ivory from 3 different cities, for instance, I would get a bigger bonus than if I was just getting ivory form one.

------------------
Old April 15, 2001, 08:27   #10
Roman
King

Well explained cyclotron7.
Old April 15, 2001, 15:02   #11
SerapisIV
King

I get it now, thanks cyclotron7.

I like that idea, but definitely with limits on benefit. I'm not sure though that the idea will be instituted. It seems from the CGW screenshots that no resource is doubled or asterixed or something showing additional benefit. It also sounds like it from past Firaxis and preview comments that trade is more of a national affair, with limiting factors mainly on production/happiness.

What about the idea of mutually beneficial items, like beef and salt, or fruits and tin or glass (conatiners for staroge)
Old April 15, 2001, 15:58   #12
Cyclotron
King

CTP used stacking resources (quite well, I think).

Civ2 allowed stacking, but it did not give any more benefit than two different routes.

I hope Civ3 will use stacking, as it allows the CTP monopolies that I got a kick out of making.

------------------