Old April 20, 2002, 22:43   #1
roalan
Warlord

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
civ3mod.bic file
Under patch 1.21f can the civ3mod.bic file values still be changed as they could under 1.16 and 1.17 patch?? I heard they could NOT.
Old April 20, 2002, 22:52   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:19
Yes. Using the Civ3 editor. Civ3Edit should be a submenu off the main Civ3 menu. More choices and options now in fact.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:14   #3
roalan
Warlord

edit .bic file
What I ment was can I still go into the civ3mod.bic file either the one that came with civ3 or say Marlas Map ,bic file and change the values or items that are already there? Example putting flags on different improvements and wonders, change unit values that are already there?etc. The editor does not have any values to be changed unless you build a Mod. I want to change existing Mods etc. Can this still be done with patch 1.21f?
Old April 20, 2002, 23:25   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hmmm. Good question. There is something about not being able to change values once a game has begun or a scenario created(?). You might want to ask this in the creation forum. You will find more expertise there.

However. "Game settings are now stored in any save file that uses them. This prevents players from altering their BIC file and using it in an existing game" would seem to indicate that you can edit Marla.bic and play the scenario with your own changes.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:37   #5
roalan
Warlord

.bic file
I noticed that it seems that perhaps you can still change values in the file prior to starting a game once you save it them you may not be able to change them?
Old April 20, 2002, 23:48   #6
notyoueither
Deity

I wouldn't have a clue. I have been wondering about the item I quoted and whether or not I'd start hearing screams of protest. I don't generally edit games in progress, so I don't really mind if you can't.

However, there is this item: "Editor: Removed option to customize world from scenarios that contain a map". I'm not sure of the consequences.

Really, Civ3 Creation would be a much better place for answers to your questions. Although, I notice youve been asking there too.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:01   #7
roalan
Warlord

civ
Thank you for your help. I did send it to creation-I will wait for replys.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:24   #8
morb
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:19
Re: .bic file
Quote:
Originally posted by roalan
I noticed that it seems that perhaps you can still change values in the file prior to starting a game once you save it them you may not be able to change them?
true.

or rather you can change them all you want, they won't affect the game you loaded form the saved file.
Old April 21, 2002, 01:14   #9
roalan
Warlord

.bic
what if it is a new game can the .bic file or marlas map file still be altered before starting? It seems as though they can be?
Old April 21, 2002, 14:13   #10
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Roalan: Yes, they can be.

If you're starting from a save-game file, however, then, they can't be.
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 21, 2002, 14:58   #11
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 23:19
The Readme.txt included explains it all.
The civ3mod.bic file is now 2kb larger - 109 vs. 107 kb.
The save game now has settings included in it. So, if you start out with the original civ3mod.bic file included with 1.21f version, you must use the same civ3mod.bic file for the entire game.

No changing the civ3mod.bic file on the fly during the playing of the game.
Old April 22, 2002, 14:39   #12
roalan
Warlord

bic file
Thank you gentlemen you have answered my question. I do not change saved games on before I start a game . Also I do not change the civ3mod.bic file that came with the game I change Marlas Map .bic file under the scenario file and do not touch the civ3mod.bic file that came with the game.I imagine the patch 1.21f would not effect the scenario file prior to the game start. Patch 1.16 workeed fine so I guess 1.21f will also?????