Old April 21, 2002, 00:53   #1
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Problem w/the Effects Editor.
I've tried using the effects editor in my copy of MGE and modifying the rules.txt file to produce an enhanced road movement multiplier.

But when I look at the pedia from within the scenario, the movement numbers are completely screwed. If I put the road multiplier to its maximum, 10, the number for some of the naval units show a minus (!) figure.

I've tested the movement rates and this is exclusively a problem w/the pedia. The movement numbers there are inaccuarate. The units in the game move at the rates I've set and the road mulitiplier is also accurate, set at its maxium of 10 spaces/turn. Is there any way for the numbers in the pedia to come out right? Anyone know why it is that these numbers are screwed up?

Also, is there any way for this number to be set higher? Say, at 20, 25, or even 30?
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Last edited by Exile; April 21, 2002 at 01:05.
Old April 21, 2002, 22:41   #2
ravagon
King

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Exile,

2 things spring to mind.

(i) If the MGE editor is anything like the infamous FW editor then you'd be much better off making such relatively straightforward changes through notepad.

(ii) Those particular special effects are limited in the numbers you are able to put in. The values you entered may have simply outranged those the game can accept and "cycled" to give the numbers you're seeing.

Q: If you open rules.txt in notepad do you see the numbers you actually tried to enter? If not it'll be the editor ...
Old April 21, 2002, 23:55   #3
Exile
King

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks, Ravagon.
I'm one of the select few who actually uses the MGE editors extensively. What I discovered (through painful trial and error) are that there are "rules" as to how the editors work (or refuse to work, as the case may be). While I'd like the pedia numbers to come out right, if they don't, it won't be a disaster, as long as the units retain the movement rates I've set for them. In answer to (ii); yep. I do believe you're correct. About opening rules.txt, I hate to mix the editor with manual work--that's when things can "go wrong." But I will open it and take a look. In my experience, one either uses the editors for a given task or it's done manually. Mixing is bad. And thanks again.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.