Old April 21, 2002, 09:40   #1
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Lighthouse REX - a winning strat
this isn't a troll, but it feels like it given how much stick the lighthouse gets.

Quite simply, the lighthouse has given me the edge when peace-playing Regent/Monarch games on standard map (continents/islands), by allowing first access to island colonies.

The peaceful player has the problem of insufficient land for resources & power. They won't fight for the land like warrior-players, but those little islands are there for the taking. Until astronomy, only the lighthouse owner can reach these islands, and by 'overseas REXing' they can clean up.

So, land-grab as usual, ensuring adequate port sites for galley-building, then after map-making send galleys with a settler and spearman around the coast, exploring one-square into the sea and back to safety. Accessible islands, or even continents may be visible, and all civs have the chance of landing here, so settle if you have the chance. If you're not paranoid about map-selling, there's money to be made each time your map grows - not buckets, but over time it accumulates. Sell while you've discovered no land, but hoard when you see some until it's settled. Sign ROPs with your neighbours to be able to explore their coastline. Be sure to probe the 'sea-lanes' for nearby coastline.

So far, nothing special, but as the lighthouse is near to completion, all non-sea access territory should be taken, and at least three galleys with settler plus vet spear/pike should be 'hovering' at likely take-off points for exploring the sea/ocean. When complete, they're ready to find and colonise new islands in the optimum time. Have more of these colonial teams following - I've gotten up to a dozen cities on islands and mini-continents. For each island, set one city to build a harbour, and the others building workers to chop down forests around the harbour city and connect the cities. Rush the harbour if possible to finish it off. After a temple to claim the land, if I have four luxuries, I'll build a marketplace - if Sistine is there or likely and I'm a religious civ then a cathedral. Grow the city to 6 for a we-love and it should be doing better than one-shield. In 1.21 patch the couthouses are more effective so it's worth building this too. For non-harbour cities I build temple, one barracks per island, then mkt/cathedral

The harbour-city is usually the one with resources, so it'll also want defending with a city wall and extra vet defenders shipped in from the mainland. I won't grow it above six for ages, (to keep the we-love) so the cheap walls (with no upkeep) is worth it.

It's very rare to find luxuries on the islands, but there are always iron & horses on one of them. Assuming I already have Iron, I won't connect this, but keep it as a backup should my primary supply vanish. I connect Horses as they don't vanish, and try to trade to a weak civ - even giving it away to help them defend against a powerful neighbour.

If my core civ has no desert or tundra it is near essential to settle some, as otherwise there'll be no oil later. (It's possible to win without oil in a peaceful world though) Very often, island colonies supply me with my only oil/rubber/saltpetre/coal later on, and/or stuff to trade to weaker civs, or as backups for the primary source.

With the extra land, ROPs can be sold for cash to anyone with less territory, and this helps to keep the peace. Trading resources is good for relations too - and I'll even sell to neighbours. No harm in them having infantry and artillery as long as I have a larger army and good relations - they usually attack someone else. (Note - on emperor they'll always attack)

To defend the outposts, I usually have a arsenal or two on the mainland sending over more defenders, plus attacking units to be sure. The local barracks upgrade these through the game.

So to conclude - on many maps the much maligned lighthouse leads to land, resources, wealth and even economic productivity later in the game. I'm not saying it's better than a 10-tech haul from the great library, or the benefits of the Sistine or Hoov (lack of rivers notwithstanding), but it can still be a game-winner.
Old April 21, 2002, 22:45   #2
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This is probably the only strategy that can set you up to win a game when starting on a too-small land mass. It would probably be extremely satisfying as well. Implicit is the need to bee-line for mapmaking.
Old April 22, 2002, 14:24   #3
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:20
I would guess that a commercial civ would be good for this strat (Alphabet). I would be inclined to pick the French, or maybe the Greeks or Indians. Not Romans because you probably won't be fighting a ton of wars, nor English because the Expansionist trait is wasted on an island, IMO (not that I thought it was all that great to begin with).
Old April 22, 2002, 19:20   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Lighthouse War - hopefully a winning strat
Cort Haus, excellent strat for the peaceful player.

Ahem, gotta chime in with my two cents of war bonds.

I started my second post-patch game last night. Persians, Large with large continents.

It's now 590 BC, I have 9 cities, and tech has been slooow.

My problem is that everyone is too far away from me to effectively warmonger, especially with Immortals:

Russia - 10 tiles, but they are stuck in jungle and therefore only have a few cities.
Babylon - 18 tiles.
Zululand - 29 tiles
France - 34 tiles

So, I am beelining for the Lighthouse. The arrival of the Persian Galley Navy will strike fear into the hearts of distant civs.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 22, 2002, 22:10   #5
Giovanni August
Warlord

Location: Torino (Turin) Piemonte ITALY / Augusta Taurinorum - Sub Alpes Italia
Theseus: Why don't just keep expanding till your borders reach your target civ border.

I generally almost never fight a war till the "land grab phase" is completed.

The only time i fight a war before is if I can't see any free resources (and that crappy civ has the monopoly of them), or if I'm far behind in the tech race or have too few city and I need a little boost .

Anyway, Ancient era is the most crucial and warmongering one for me. (all the other eras are just warmongering but not crucial )

Saluti
Old April 23, 2002, 09:51   #6
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Txurce
Implicit is the need to bee-line for mapmaking.
The 1.21 AI now seems to value the colossus and lighthouse more, making it harder to pick up the lighthouse on monarch. In fact, it may be more important now to get a pre-build going on a good wonder site, judging by my current monarch, standard continent map, average-land game. I missed all the ancient wonders. I've got Shaka 10 squares from my capital but I got 12 cities in the land grab to his 5 (because of his wonder-building and my better strategic location). Greeks and Persians got 2 wonders each but Xerxes is squeezed. I've never seen the AI so conservative about expansion - there's still even space for a city between me and the Babs and we're at chemistry/navigation.

If the AI is REXing less and wonder-building more, this could alter our opening moves. By default, I've always used the first worker for roads to city sites, but there may be a case for prioritising a wonder-city instead. Three settlers from the capital may be too many to be able to complete a wonder there on Monarch.

Generally, it doesn't seem that getting first to an ancient / middle-age tech gives you the edge on that wonder. As long as other wonders are available, its more likely to be a failed attempt at the Hanging Gardens that bags the Sistine, or a failed Oracle that nets the Lighthouse.

Thanks goodness they don't pre-build with Palaces - or just give themselves wonders like Civ1.
Old April 23, 2002, 10:12   #7
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni August
The only time i fight a war before is if I can't see any free resources (and that crappy civ has the monopoly of them)
And the smaller the civ, the more expensive the Incense (it's almost always Incense in my games - maybe b/c incense clusters = big desert). They're just begging for a takeover. But they do inspire me to try a 'tiny civ' strat - to see how far I can get by selling expensive luxuries. Thing is - I just can't sit there and not grab the tasty land.

Quote:
Anyway, Ancient era is the most crucial and warmongering one for me
One early war is usually enough < Emp. However, I don't attack while playing peace, because I'll always get attacked back by someone later. Then I go crazy and destroy them. (All my Civ1/2 games were like that.) If I really want a war I should set up a 'bait' city, then declare myself an injured victim to the world.
Old April 23, 2002, 11:38   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Giovanni:

I don't fight wars just for land... I'm very focused on getting GLs, and also on long-term geo-politics, or the metagame.

Cort:

Yeah, I missed getting the Lighthouse last night. Seems to me that the AI has gotten much better balanced in terms of REXing versus Wonders versus military.

What do you mean by a bait city?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old April 23, 2002, 11:54   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
What do you mean by a bait city?
Leaving a city UNDEFENDED!
(All the AI automatically know it)

JB
Old April 23, 2002, 12:32   #10
Theseus
Emperor

But will that incent them to declare war?

Old April 23, 2002, 14:38   #11
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
But will that incent them to declare war?
Yes, and would be used to start a war without being the 'aggressor'. Not for purist/moral reasons (though it could be), but because in my experience you can avoid attack the whole game if you haven't been an aggressor yourself ( < emp).

This means you can set the time & place for a war, rather then allowing the opponents the initiative.
Old August 16, 2002, 08:31   #12
Cort Haus
Deity

Bump for context of recent island-starts discussion.