Old April 21, 2002, 20:27   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 16:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is modding enough?
Is modding CTP2 enough or should activision have made more effort to patch the game? I certainly think Activision did a better job then Fraxis but I can't help but think what CTP2 would have been like if activision had held in there a little longer. Please feel free to discuse amoungst yourselves,
Old April 22, 2002, 00:45   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ok seeing as no one else has commented yet, ill give my uneducated opinion.
I think theres no doubt Activision could have released a few more patches, over time. At least to the Apolyton MOD standard.
I think even if Activision did extend the support for the game afterwards it would still be modded as much now, if not more so. With maybe a bigger fan base due to good opinions of the game more people would be out there trying to make scenarios etc.
I dunno, even if they did continue to patch it, there is only so far they wouldve gone to improve it, certainly not as far as you modder people have gone.
Who knows, if they had finished the game properly, it could have sold masses of copies, maybe an expansion pack... ah well.
Old April 22, 2002, 13:29   #3
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I second that
Old April 23, 2002, 05:23   #4
Oerdin
Deity

I love what the modders have done with the game but I just don't think mods will ever reach as large an audience as an "official" patch would have. Also speaking of offical patches the one that activision did release is a text book example of how not to release patches. Take the example of multiplayer games; people with the patch had to use a totally different group of servers then the people without the patch. That meant that each group would end up finding empty servers when they wanted to play.
If Activision had done less of a rush job, or atleast insured that the two groups were compatible, then CTP2 probably would have gotten the "critical mass" it needed to succeed.
This issue of critical mass is also the biggest short coming with mods. Yes, the mods do incredible things but not enough people have them so they can never really take off. It's to bad Activision's web site can't cross list Apolyton then maybe we'd get more people.
Old April 23, 2002, 06:38   #5
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah i totally agree, the game as it stands now with great MODS like Cradle, MedMod, WAW etc wont ever reach as many people as it could have.
Id say the same for the patch too. Maybe if they held back the mulitiplayer option and then realised a polished version of it on the patch, things would have been much easier, at the time. Or just held back the whole thing, even for a year. I couldve waited.

The thing about why Activision cant cross list with Apolyton im not sure what you mean exactly but there is a link to Apoyton CTP2 section at http://www.activision.com/games/ctp2

And i dont think its so bad, i mean it was kind of a blessing that CIV3 turned out to be a little bit of a smelly old sock OK maybe not that bad but ive certainly seen plenty of posts from people turning to ctp2 now civ3 has disappointed somewhat.