Old April 22, 2002, 15:13   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Email, files notification
The new server move was something we all, but especially the Apolyton Staff, were desperately waiting for. Now a lot of new things will be possible. For one thing, it got me a new email address: locutus@apolyton.net (or wouter@apolyton.net or ctp2files@apolyton.net, whichever you prefer). I'm making this my primary email address so I'd appreciate it if any mail sent to me is from now on sent to one of those addresses (and no longer to locutus-of-borg@hetnet.nl or w.snijders@student.utwente.nl).

Also, Markos gave me a 100MB FTP account for CtP2-related usage. This is not the same as the file database we're all waiting for, but it's a start. For one thing, I *could* run the CTP2 Game of the Month/Tournament feature from there, but I'll ask Markos how he wants to deal with that. If anyone else has anything that they think should be available on Apolyton (but not in the file database - that will hopefully return in the near future as well), let me know and I'll upload it.
Old April 22, 2002, 16:19   #2
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This morning when i typed 'apolyton.net' to get here it sent me to 'Aristotle University of Thessaloniki - school of Engineering' !!!
I thought maybe i'd had too hard a night
Had to use '.com' ,but it seems to be fine now
The links are working now as well.

EDIT: insert www. infront of 'apolyton.net' - i'm not lazy! Still it was interesting( ) reading about mechanical engineering
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; April 22, 2002 at 16:49.
Old April 22, 2002, 16:31   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
This is not the same as the file database we're all waiting for, but it's a start.
I guess my CTP2 database e-mails for Marcos has still to wait, how long I have them in my e-mail program saved, ready for sending to Marcos gamestat address, that is really long ago.

-Martin
Old April 22, 2002, 16:36   #4
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:24
Same thing for me. Although i find it adding www. at the beggining. Do you think some people wont be able to find apolyton again?

Locutus. We should start our database soon. I dont want to have dificlties to find important files/scripts.
-Jean Rostand
Old April 22, 2002, 16:54   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

CoT, Pedrunn,
It should work fine by now (it does for my ISP), or at least within a few hours...

Martin,
Files for the database should be submitted to me rather than Markos, but not quite yet...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Locutus. We should start our database soon. I dont want to have dificlties to find important files/scripts.
I know, but I'm afraid it's not in my hands...
Old April 22, 2002, 17:03   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Same thing for me. Although i find it adding www. at the beggining. Do you think some people wont be able to find apolyton again?
Maybe not. Took me a couple tries. ".net" took me to what looked like the Apolyton home page, except the links were all dead. ".com" took me to the "Aristotle University of Thessaloniki", held it for a few seconds, then bounced me here right as I was reaching to click the back arrow and give up.
Old April 22, 2002, 17:22   #7
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal

Maybe not. Took me a couple tries. ".net" took me to what looked like the Apolyton home page, except the links were all dead. ".com" took me to the "Aristotle University of Thessaloniki", held it for a few seconds, then bounced me here right as I was reaching to click the back arrow and give up.
I had the same experience, seeing "Good Old AU" briefly and then landing here.
Old April 23, 2002, 03:16   #8
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

just want to say that we're geting there

until we have our new database system ready, you can mail files to locutus(max size 4mb/mail) and he can list them in a thread here

thanks for your patience

ps. and yes, any ctp2-related files can be posted there
Old April 23, 2002, 03:25   #9
Locutus
Deity

Yes, people can mail small mods to me, if they don't have another place to upload it to, but I don't plan on putting things like Cradle, MedMod and WaW up there as I would probably crash into the 100MB limit within hours... Besides, my 250free.com website is still open for everyone as well (which has the advantage that you can update it yourself, rather than having to wait for me to do it for you) and still has over 150MB worth of free space. (As always server: ftp.250free.com; user: ctpmodmakers; password: bl00drun).

Edit: BTW, I think we should add a new Feat of Wonder to the game: MarkG visiting the CtP2 forums on his own initiative

Last edited by Locutus; April 23, 2002 at 03:30.
Old April 23, 2002, 10:50   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

You didn't mention GoodMod again but I only would send it to you for the DataBase. For my waiting e-mails the last one I stored for Markos in my e-mail program was written last year and last modified at Christmas. The other one was sent to Markos a long time ago, so I have to resend it to you. BTW you are right it is a wonder that Markos visit the CTP2 forum and post here, maybe he visits this forum more frequently than we thing.

-Martin
Old April 23, 2002, 12:03   #11
Locutus
Deity

Martin,
I didn't mention GoodMod because I don't know how big it is. How big is it (the whole shabang)?

About Markos visiting here more often then we think: don't count on it (yes, I know some things you don't)...
Old April 23, 2002, 13:58   #12
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Martin,
I didn't mention GoodMod because I don't know how big it is. How big is it (the whole shabang)?
Ok, l just added file sizes to my homepage, but that means you don't have it. Maybe 3541 kb for the whole pack and 1427 kb for the text update of GoodMod v.0.99. Wait some minutes for the update of my page although with DSL the upload of 3541 kb + 1427 kb needs a little bit longer. just realized that would be under the limit that Marcos mention, but I have my own page and my own thread.

-Martin
Old April 23, 2002, 14:32   #13
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:24
Did I send anyone the Pelopponese War scenario I got by email from an Italian guy?
Old April 24, 2002, 14:39   #14
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
Ok, l just added file sizes to my homepage, but that means you don't have it.
I have so many files, I don't even know what I have... It's probably around here somewhere but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet (but then again, I haven't gotten around to playing any game recently)... But if it comforts you, I just re-downloaded the latest version today...

Quote:
Maybe 3541 kb for the whole pack and 1427 kb for the text update of GoodMod v.0.99. Wait some minutes for the update of my page although with DSL the upload of 3541 kb + 1427 kb needs a little bit longer. just realized that would be under the limit that Marcos mention, but I have my own page and my own thread.
Markos's limit was a limit *per email* so bigger files can be mailed to me but you'd have to split them up in several files. In any case, I think I'll keep your mod on the reserve bench for now: I want to put a bunch of small modifications on my Apolyton FTP account but I'll start with the smaller ones (once I have a website set up). If there's enough room left, I'll add bigger files such as your GoodMod.

IW,
No, but please do forward it to me...
Old April 24, 2002, 15:23   #15
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

if a file is already somewhere on the net, i can put it on our server easily. just send me a note
Old April 24, 2002, 16:27   #16
Locutus
Deity

Markos,
There are a LOT of files on the net that should be on our server, for both CtP1 and CtP2. I propose that the strategy to follow is that I collect everything that's ready for the file database. I'll put as much as possible on my FTP account here on Settler (while still leaving a few MBs free for the Tournaments and other such features) and when I threaten to run out of space (which I will, that's a promise ), I'll upload the rest of the files to the communal ctpmodmakers.250free.com account. I'll eventually give you a list of all files on the 250free account so you can upload it to a safe place on Apolyton (or increase my quota enough for me to put them on my account). Once a full flegded database is available, it can be moved to a proper location. Does this sound good to you?

BTW, the CtP database still mentioned Omni as database manager (here), maybe you should change this?

All,
If you have any files for the database (whether it is a 10k large mod that renames Spearman to Hoplite or Cradle with all the graphics and everything included), email me with the file itself or a link where I can download it (esp. for big files this latter technique might be wise). I know about a lot of stuff out there but I still want everyone to explicitly email me: don't want to have to hunt the whole Internet for files, I need your permission anyway, I'm certain to forget a mod or two if I am to contact you guys and noone knows better what mods you've made than you. So even if your mod happens to be the most important one in CtP2's history and it goes without saying that it should be in the database, email me anyway. Same rules apply as mentioned on the database page, with some minor changes, I'll repost them here:

The info I need is:
- If it's a CtP1 or CtP2 file (or both)
- Title of mod
- Synopsis
- Contact name/handle (whichever you prefer)
- Contact email (if different from the one you're sending from)
- Category (see here for list)
- Version (if applicable)
- The file(s) for the database itself or a link to it/them
- Description (longer than synopsis, see existing database entries for examples)

(Note: don't use the form in the link I provided, it won't work)

Important notes
This database is open for everybody, that means that all files mailed to the database manager will be included regardless of their author, quality or content. However, the following rules apply:
* Files will not be included if the DB manager has the impression that the sender of the files is not the author and tries to get files listed under his name without the expressed approval of the author.
* The DB team will not do any playtesting of submitted files. If you need playtesters go to the CTP2 forums.
* Only finished files will be processed. If you consider your scenario a beta version which will be updated soon, please wait until playtesting is finished. You can send updated versions of existing files, but a certain period of time should have passed between updates. Note: the meaning of 'beta' over time has come to mean something slightly different from the industry standard; this rule basically means: don't send updates every other day (and make sure the files are not too buggy). Whether you call your file a beta or a low-quality release version is a matter of semantics.
* The DB team will not search any webpages for updates of existing files. Please re-submit the file if you have an update. Note: this rule is slightly different from the one mentioned in the database section.
* Submitted files will usually be processed and entered in the DB within 4 weeks. Please do not send e-mails asking when your file will show up. We will not answer such mails. Note: since the database is currently not fully operational, there's no telling how long it takes before your file is actually added to the database. However, I'll write some HTML pages or a forum thread from which the files can be accessed until then. At this point I can't give any guarantees in regard to time but I'll confirm your email if I receive it, if you've received confirmation you can be sure your file will be placed on the Apolyton server and (eventually) in the database.
* If your zip file is larger than 1 MB, please put the sound files into a separate zip file (aka secondary file). Note: scratch this rule. There are some mods out there that are 10-20 MB large so this won't help much. Try to put everything in files of at most 4-5MB large, or use some other sensible way to split things up (if you haven't done so already). I think Markos and I will need to discuss what to do with those really big mods when the new database is fully operational again. We'll first need to have an inventory of what is out there anyway, even I don't know exactly how large most mods are (I have cable so I never pay attention to it).

Attention Third-Party file senders: Please include with your submission and in your attached documentation the name and e-mail address of the author of the CTP2 file, so we can contact them to ensure that no future complications arise about the posting of the file(s). Thank you for you understanding in this matter.

Files Types:
* Maps=A map or set of maps, in Pack, Binary or Text form
* Maps/Binary=Map file or set of map files as saved from the "save map" feature of the editor
* Maps/Text=Map file in text format that can be imported in the game
* Maps/Packs=A map or set of maps, with just starting locations, no cities, no modified game files, put together as a pack
* Scenarios=Map with starting locations, specific cities, civs, etc, with or without modified game files
* Mods= Set of modified game files, put together as a pack. may include maps
* Modification= Files for modmakers or anyone wanting to modify CTP2. Units, graphics, utilities
* Official= Files by Activision.
* Miscellaneous= Various files that do not belong anywhere else

Last edited by Locutus; April 24, 2002 at 16:34.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:44   #17
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

locutus, the 100mb quota is just for the start it doesnt mean that if there is more than 100mb of ctp1/2 files out there, we'll stop adding new stuff
Old April 24, 2002, 18:53   #18
Locutus
Deity

Ah, I was under the impression that this was a temporary solution, until you get a decent database online (you know, one with search function and stuff and where I don't have to write all the HTML code by hand - would help ). But I understand you want to permanently put the files there or something? If you, you ought to move the old files to my account as well, sometimes updates are required...
Old April 24, 2002, 18:59   #19
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

the database system is unrelated to you geting the ability to upload files on the server.

if i move all the files to the ctp2files account i'll then have lost of links to correct. no thanks
Old April 24, 2002, 19:09   #20
Locutus
Deity

I know it's unrelated, you just make it sound like moving the files to my FTP account is a permanent solution. Once the database is online, I probably don't need more than 10 MB, 25 at most (for tournaments and stuff)...

Good point on the links...
Old April 25, 2002, 02:20   #21
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

well, any new files to our ctp1/2 file archive WILL be placed in the ctp2files account, permanently
Old April 25, 2002, 08:03   #22
Locutus
Deity

Hmm, okay. That's very good to know. In that case, I think I'll it'd be better if I moved the Tournament to a subfolder... (I'll PM you soon to let you know what to change the URL in the menu bar to...)

But how does that work then when it comes to upgrading old files? (I think I can name 3 files off-hand that are in need of upgrading, more will undoubtably follow.) Do I need to ask you to do that for me or are you going to give me access to the old files as well? (Or can the database, once it's back, simply be made to point to the new location?)

Questions, questions, questions... All intended to keep you posting in the CtP2 forums - hoping that will eventually give you the idea to give Cradle or WaW a try some time
Old April 25, 2002, 08:51   #23
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Heh Mr MarkG and Locutus,
If Locutus gets a promotion through all this , can he still remain as a Newsagent? I kinda like it - seems friendly and familiar, like the bloke round the corner from where i live and buy my groceries from
(P.S. If this is too cheeky then please ignore it!)
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:12   #24
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
...Even a hyperlink from the Apolyton DB to the Mods that are available would be nice. That way, people will not have to track them down.

BTW, Cradle is about 12-14 MB, and you know where to get it. If you need the link, I'll send it...

(I just want to have a nice Cradle pic and short descriptive onsite here - the official stamp of approval from the site that made Cradle possible.)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old April 25, 2002, 11:45   #25
Locutus
Deity

CoT,
Nah, I already got my promotion: I'm a full Apolyton Staff member now (I wasn't just two-three weeks ago). I can get (or rather, give myself) more duties but the only real promotion I can still make is to become owner of this site, and I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon

(unless you count forum moderatorship as a promotion, but Markos is very reluctant about giving me that anyway)

Dave,
Nah, we want to have the files on our Apolyton server. We can't have people trying to download your mod from Apolyton but fail because your webserver happens to be down (yeah, right )...

Either way, I would really appreciate it if you could follow the procedure and mail the description, pic, link (even though I know it by heart), etc to me (as I described above), that would really make things much, much easier for me...

So far I've received only one file for the database and that's an 'iffy' (barely fits the requirements I mentioned above), you guys will really have to help me out as it would take me an lot amount of time to chase the entire net looking for files myself...
Old April 25, 2002, 12:39   #26
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
barely fits the requirements I mentioned above
Its a perfectly good scenario
Old April 25, 2002, 12:46   #27
Locutus
Deity

The scenario is fine (I assume, haven't gotten around to testing it yet), the guy who wrote the submission OTOH...
Old April 25, 2002, 13:22   #28
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
So far I've received only one file for the database and that's an 'iffy' (barely fits the requirements I mentioned above), you guys will really have to help me out as it would take me an lot amount of time to chase the entire net looking for files myself...
Now two, I just sended the e-mail that I considered for Marcos some month ago to you, for the database. It has everything that is on our non working add a file page, including a picture, I think. BTW, nothing that is already available on the need.

Now I have to find the other e-mail that I already send to Marcos and the best thing of this one is it had a subscribtion over my working version of the add a file page, so Marcos shouldn't have no problem to add it, but now the question is when Dale update ApolytonPack if these world maps for ApolytonPack will work anymore with the new version.

-Martin
Old April 25, 2002, 13:31   #29
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
the guy who wrote the submission OTOH...
Followed the instructions given to the best of his abilities.
Old April 25, 2002, 19:22   #30
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
Locutus:

WAW is going to get a new update in the next week or two (a few bugs to sort out). That'll settle it till I finish up the new naval and army scripts I'm working on. That'll be a while off yet though.

Apolyton Pack I'll have a new update for pretty soon (hoping to play with that this weekend) too, and then that'll be stable till the naval/army scripts.

So really, I got nothing to send you till the next updates (in a week or two).

BTW, I sort of agree with Dave on this, but with the BIG MODs (Cradle, Apolyton, Med Pack, Goodmod, WAW) it'd be better to just link to our sites. It gives us a chance to include sub-pages with strategies, player comments, pretty pictures, regular updates/scenarios/option packs, the works. You know, advertising.