Old April 22, 2002, 17:41   #1
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ3 AI does Rock
I just have to make note of this point, after playing Heroes IV awhile. And definitely more so after 1.21.
Old April 22, 2002, 18:32   #2
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 18:24
Point taken.
Old April 22, 2002, 19:09   #3
Coracle
Prince

So why does it have to cheat so outrageously to be "competitive"??

Why is is so dumb it sends settlers wandering into my territory after I raze a city even when that civ is at war with me?? I wipe out his settlers time after time.
Old April 22, 2002, 20:00   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Regardless of the flaws in the AI, it is still much better than the AI in the previous civ games. of course there are always going to be nitpicky problems with the AI, but what game is perfect? its obvious from a cost benefit analysis that firaxis has to make a game that people will buy. Could they make a better AI? Probably. Would people buy the $300 civ game? Probably not. I don't expect perfection from a 2001-2002 game. I just expect a game that gives a good challenge and is entertaining for a while, such as Civ3.
Old April 22, 2002, 20:30   #5
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 19:24
it doesn't rock. but its a vast improvement from Civ2
Old April 22, 2002, 20:44   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Civ3 rocks Saddam Hussein's ass
Old April 22, 2002, 22:22   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'll give you that jaggie, it is a step up from civ2, but it is far from rocking.

and i should know, i 0wn r0x0rz.org don't i? lol
Old April 22, 2002, 22:49   #8
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

The AI is better huh? Okay. It was accomplished by dumbing down the gameplay and code routines that cause interminable waits.

If the AI is so good then why all the cheats?

AI by its nature isn't good. I will have to say that I have several times noticed the AI do some really neat things. But, there are only a handful of tricks. It quickly gets predictable.

People only think they want human level AI. If they got it, in a normal game they would win only one of eight times (or one of sixteen, lol).

How long would people play that?
Old April 23, 2002, 00:16   #9
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:24
They wouldn't they'd cheat, like the human AI would .
Old April 23, 2002, 00:54   #10
gopher
Warlord

Come on, admit that the first time you played this game, the AI gave you a bit of a shock, especially when the alliance wars started.

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old April 23, 2002, 03:22   #11
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
it does good amphibious invasions, cuts off my resources, defends nicely, nothing short of a full scale invasion will finish it off. start a dodgy war and you will soon end up in a war of attrition, you really have to be careful and do not leave your fast charging units exposed.....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old April 23, 2002, 04:45   #12
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Civ 3 AI is an order of magnitude better than previous versions of AI, including the Civ 2 AI.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
So why does it have to cheat so outrageously to be "competitive"??
Wasn't it you complaining about Firaxis removing the "multi" cheat from the game?
Old April 23, 2002, 05:08   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:24
Consistency is the bugbear of...

Or is it that bugbears are seldom consistent?

I lost track.
Old April 23, 2002, 08:43   #14
Zachriel
King

Put yourself in a losing position, such as starting in a jungle, or not using city packing on Deity. Now, defend yourself against the onslaught of units. No gold, no tech, no friends. Generally, the AI appears stupid when it is losing, and visa versa.

Once you've wiped out their armies and infrastructure, yes, it does appear rather stupid to defend cities with spearmen against advanced tanks. But what choice do they have? Most players will subjugate them, enslave them, or raze them if they surrender, so fight on they must.
Old April 23, 2002, 09:19   #15
Pius Popprasch
Warlord

Local Time: 23:24
Ancient Era A.I. is really strong and Middle Ages are still OK. Late game is spoiled by artificial dumbness. In comparison with Civ2 the better pathfinding is notable. There are also a lot of design changes to favor the A.I.(e.g. the permission of killer stacks, the corruption model and the ineffectiveness of bombard units) which make the A.I. look stronger.
The A.I. bonuses at Deity are extreme.