Old April 23, 2002, 16:58   #31
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I am running for Minister of Imperial Expansion once again.

Not much has been accomplished this term, largely due to the happiness problems we only recently overcame with the great Chapel, but nonetheless, new cities were founded. If re-elected, I will work to put outposts of our mighty empire in all corners of the globe, and everywhere in between.

Steele
Old April 23, 2002, 17:12   #32
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
A little extra time would be a good idea, IMHO. Besides, I've got alot of stuff I need to do right this second, though I should be finished by next month.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old April 23, 2002, 17:14   #33
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Bring it on, steelhc. I welcome the competition!
Old April 23, 2002, 19:38   #34
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Mr Vice President Shaka - I suggest you post the polls on Thursday 25th and allow 3 days voting. That will provide the results Sunday 28th, and the new Cabinet can take over on Monday 29th. That will give citizens both some weekday and weekend opportunity to vote and give the new Cabinet a good start on things with a fresh week.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 23, 2002, 22:34   #35
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 14:24
A vote for Steele for Expansion Minister is a vote for growth, strength, and reliability. A vote for cannonfodder is a vote for weakness, instability, and the like. Cannonfodder will be true to his namesake, and turn our mighty empire into cannonfodder.

Steele

PS: Cannonfodder, you asked for it...
Old April 23, 2002, 22:55   #36
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Would like one extra day to locate a Civ 2 CD.

Please?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 24, 2002, 04:07   #37
shade
King

Local Time: 00:24
I hope while beeing so busy trying to get re-ellected our cabinet doesn't forget his job...Reports are expected by friday(or sooner) so I can launch our next prez straight into oblivion...
seems like we still need some ppl for certain jobs....

c'mon nominate yourself ppl.

Shade
Old April 24, 2002, 04:37   #38
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 23:24
Mr. Shaka Naldur can please update your list, I seem to be invisible in the list for nominance I am run for foreign minister if you do not know. You miss me when you made your last list, I nominace here between the first list and the second list!
Old April 24, 2002, 04:38   #39
James Adams
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 23:24
Foreign Minister
Mr. Shaka Naldur can please update your list, I seem to be invisible in the list for nominance I am runing for foreign minister if you do not know. You miss me when you made your last list, I nominace here between the first list and the second list!

Vote for Me.

A Vote For Me is a vote for strong and constructive foreign policy, go with experience dudes! Vote for Me!
Old April 24, 2002, 06:24   #40
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

So can we have a little extra time for nominations? Say the 26th for polling? I would like to help remedy the prolem of lack of nominations by adding my name to the list, but I must have time to get my Civ2 CD and test out MGE to see if it actually works! Must!

All I need is a few hours past 0600 GMT on Friday 26 to test it out.

Is ALL I'M ASKING.

C'mon. There are others who wanted some extra time.

Old April 24, 2002, 07:05   #41
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
So can we have a little extra time for nominations? Say the 26th for polling? I would like to help remedy the prolem of lack of nominations by adding my name to the list, but I must have time to get my Civ2 CD and test out MGE to see if it actually works! Must!

All I need is a few hours past 0600 GMT on Friday 26 to test it out.

Is ALL I'M ASKING.

C'mon. There are others who wanted some extra time.
I'll give you some hint's for when testing--> shut down everything that gives moving images==>Highcouncil/animated emmisaries and wonder video's.

Shade
Old April 24, 2002, 07:13   #42
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Sounds like there's a story there, shade.

Old April 24, 2002, 07:44   #43
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

I believe Hydey and adamsj declared their intentions to run against each other again last week.

Off to the airport for a trade show in beautiful downtown...Denver. I've asked the High Priests to plead with the gods for some golf weather this afternoon.

Shaka, your new dates are better (as I return on the 2th and thus may actually have a chance to vote. I would suggest a 3-day poll, since weekend participation is usually reduced.

President Shade, best of luck in your final turns. Leave us a legacy truly worthy of your greatness!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old April 24, 2002, 07:56   #44
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Sounds like there's a story there, shade.
You don't want to hear it...just trust me it will save you like 400 ok buttons and a shutdown to get out one of the above mentioned things--> you will have to go through such a thing to start the game(intromovie

Quote:
President Shade, best of luck in your final turns. Leave us a legacy truly worthy of your greatness!
I'll try to make it as interesting as possible.

Shade
Old April 24, 2002, 09:42   #45
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

A vote for Adamsj is a vote against Hydey - But that's a good thing!

While some may say that Hydey has been "vigilant" in his duties, and "never restful," it is more accurate to note that his actions mainly consisted of (1) repeatedly telling the president to build embassies, (2) expecting the president to drop everything to build said embassies, (3) acting as though the Foreign Ministry is above all other governmental organizations, and (4) wasting everyone's time.

While Hydey may claim that his job as Foreign Minister's purpose was to focus on the Foreign Ministry's goals to the exclusion of everything else, that is not true. It is vitally important to our Great Civilization that all our leaders and advisors see the Big Picture, and put the good of our Civilization above the good of their office.

I ask you, has Hydey looked at the Big Picture? No. He doesn't consider the good of the civilization, except where it aligns with his and his office's goals. He cannot see the Forest of our Civilization because for the single Tree marked "Office of Foreign Ministry."

- Presidential Candidate Shadowlord
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 24, 2002, 12:31   #46
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I say we elect Shadowlord and Hydey, just for the excitement of watching the brawl...

(MdS selling more tickets to the Hydey fight series)

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 24, 2002, 15:36   #47
cavebear
Emperor

President Shade has decided not to seek re-election due to anticipated demands on his time for the next term.

For that reason, I hereby announce my candidacy for President! I participated as a Citizen in February and March, I have served as City Planner this term, and I have a full sense of the currents in this game.

I am tanned, rested, and ready to defend the Citadel, take Adam Smith's and Elephantine from the evil Egyptians, and grow our civ. I am experienced in the administrative side of the Democracy Game.

Vote for experience! Vote Cavebear as President!

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	clintonforlife.gif
Views:	38
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	14003  
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old April 24, 2002, 16:01   #48
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

new list...

President:
Shadowlord / cavebear

Vice-president:

Science Advisor:
ixnay37

Foreign Advisor:
Nimitz / adamsj / Hydey

Millitary Advisor:
Marquis de Sodaq

Trade Advisor:

City Planner:
cavebear

Imperial Expansion:
CannonFodder / steelehc

Historian:
Jrabbit
Old April 24, 2002, 16:02   #49
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

cavebear, you can run for city advisor if you still want to,
but you can´t be president and advisor at the same time

i´ll start a poll about how to choose the vp
Old April 24, 2002, 16:03   #50
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

we still need a trade advisor and i´m waiting to see if mbloomIII and gramphos want to run for science advisor
Old April 24, 2002, 16:05   #51
Shaka Naldur
Emperor

i´ll post a three days poll the 26th??

is that ok with everybody??
Old April 24, 2002, 19:04   #52
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
cavebear, you can run for city advisor if you still want to,
but you can´t be president and advisor at the same time
I was assuming I could not hold both posts. If I am elected President, we can have a quick special election, or I can appoint a volunteer (either is fine with me).

In fact, if someone else chooses to run for City Planner, it's possible I won't have *any* job...
Old April 24, 2002, 19:06   #53
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
i´ll post a three days poll the 26th??

is that ok with everybody??
Sounds good to me!
Old April 24, 2002, 19:16   #54
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

People of Apolytonia, this election brings together two candidates for President, among whom you must find the one who will accomplish the most good for our Great Civilization if elected!

Do you want a City Planner as your President, or do you want someone who is truly dedicated to our Great Civilization, and to the good of our People? Do you want an "administrator," or a President who truly listens to and serves the People?

And, before I stand aside today and let Cavebear speak, I would like to make something very clear.

As a Candidate, I believe I have an obligation to the People to answer truthfully any question or implied question as to my beliefs on any topic concerning our Great Civilization.

And, my sources tell me that many of you wish to know what my response to the Egyptian Question would be if I am elected President.

Our plans of War against Egypt will go forward if I am elected, as they are good plans, once we are assured that our cities are properly defended with City Walls and two strong defenders per city, and that we have technological and military superiority over the Egyptians! While the goal of taking Elephantine is good, we MUST be certain that we are not committing ourselves into a war which will backfire and result in the loss of cities and life on our side! But remember, we must NEVER engage in war recklessly, without properly investigating our defenses and our target prior to the war, or it WILL backfire on us!

Off the record, Cavebear, that pic you included. He looks a little like Bill Clinton (What little of his face I can see), but for some odd reason, the voice in the back of my head is telling me that he (The guy in the pic) is Italian... Don't ask why, because I really don't know.

P.S. Shaka: Sounds good.
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 24, 2002, 19:30   #55
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Off the record, Cavebear, that pic you included. He looks a little like Bill Clinton (What little of his face I can see), but for some odd reason, the voice in the back of my head is telling me that he (The guy in the pic) is Italian... Don't ask why, because I really don't know.)
I think I've seen it before...I believe it's a photoshopped pic of Clinton from the Onion or something.
Old April 24, 2002, 20:30   #56
CannonFodder
Prince

I would like to remind the public that our minister of imperial expansion for the last term, steelehc, has actually performed his duties not at all. We have not expanded our great empire but for the good fortune of the goody huts. A vote for steelehc is a vote for stagnation and decline! A vote for CannonFodder is a vote for Empire!

P.S. I suppose I did steelehc, but it was worth it!
Old April 24, 2002, 20:35   #57
cavebear
Emperor

Thank you, Candidate Shadowlord. It is always good to have a spirited campaign.

Citizens, Countrymen, Friends… I appreciate this opportunity to speak before you today. The challenges we are preparing to face are serious, and they will set our course for ages to come. If we are successful (and I am fully confident we will be), this time in Apolytonian history will be known as our "Golden Age". If we fail at this time, we may never rise again to the glories that are our Rights!

As Minister of City Planning, I have been dedicating all my efforts to preparing our cities for the task we have assigned ourselves - The taking of Elephantine and the Adam Smith's Wonder. Preparation is the key to victory, and I have been deeply involved in the discussions of the Cabinet for the planning of this endeavor. As your President, I will be fully aware of the plans and the preparations right from the start. I can assure you that all will go forward as intended!

My honorable opponent does not have the benefit of this knowledge, and will be inclined to follow his own plan, one not tested and war-gamed over a period of years. He mentions my experience as Minister of City Planning as if that were a bad thing. Far from it. My knowledge of the cities' production strengths and weaknesses will be invaluable in the coming effort. The Workers and Citizens know firsthand my concern for their well-being, yet also my insistence that we all serve Apolytonia and must therefore give our best efforts.

My opponent mentions casually our need to balance the Egyptian campaign effort with the other needs of our glorious civ. Well, who else would be more aware of that than I? As City Planner, I have kept one eye on our need for defensive and offensive military units, and the other on our domestic infrastructure and productive units. My opponent even cautions you to keep domestic and defensive concerns in mind while implying that my doing precisely that, as City Planner, is not valuable experience.

Who, I ask, introduced the "Core of Four" concept to assure that rotating groups of cities would always be producing Caravans for both Trade and Wonder-building? C'est Moi.

Who also recommended that a similar group of cities be dedicated to building Crusaders for the upcoming effort against the Egyptians? C'est Moi.

Who has also arranged for the building of Libraries to keep our tech rate ahead of our enemies? C'est Moi...

And I have recommended to the President those special requirements for places like Citadel and New Castellon (long may they stand as outposts of our power)!

My Friends, I seek this position not because I have a lust for power, but because my talents are called for at this crucial time. As City Planner, I know the details that get every last advantage from the efforts of the Citizens. I know the demands of War on the domestic side.

But I also know War on the active and aggressive side! The Minister of War will present his strategies to the new President for the conduct of the campaign, but the years flow swiftly by and recommendations quickly become obsolete. "No battle plan survives contact with the Enemy!", and I am prepared to adjust to the demands of the battlelines. I have been there before, and succeeded against more powerful enemies. I have studied Sun Tsu, I have studied Napoleon, I have studied Robert E Lee.

My rules for engagement are simple:

1. Be Prepared
2. Strike Suddenly
3. Strike Hard

The best battle is a short one against an unprepared foe. "He who strikes first and well, strikes last!"

And he who can strike, while continuing to attend to the other needs of Apolytonia, will guarantee success on all fronts. The time for action is rapidly approaching, and I am the one to see us successfully through that time.

Thank you.

Last edited by cavebear; April 24, 2002 at 21:04.
Old April 24, 2002, 20:36   #58
CannonFodder
Prince

If noone wants the job, and I lose the election for Imperial Expansion (har-har) then I'd take the job of Trade advisor. (Unless of course someone else wants it.)
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old April 24, 2002, 21:48   #59
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

It is true, Cavebear's experience as Minister of City Planning would serve him well should be become President. But, should he become President, who will be Minister of City Planning? Someone who has no experience in that post, it is likely. And remember, the President cannot ignore the Minister of City Planning and direct the government as though he held both posts. If Cavebear becomes President, then, regardless of Cavebear's experience, he would be unable to overrule the MCP constantly, even if he knew better.

I believe that our Great Civilization would be served better, were Cavebear to be elected Minister of City Planning, and not President. In that event, he could provide his expert opinion on the topic of City Planning to the President, and, I have stated that as President, I will follow the expert advice of my advisors, while keeping an open mind and guiding our policies in a far-seeing manner, not just acting for the current day.

If I am elected, I will act in the best interests of our Civilization, not merely in the best interests during my term - re-election isn't as important as the greatness of our civilization, but I firmly believe that I would be a better President than my opponent, and that he would be a better Minister of City Planning than I, were I to find myself in that position.
Old April 24, 2002, 22:00   #60
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

yeah, the pic makes me think mussolini even though there werent color photos (i dont think) back then...I think it's the clinton image from the onion story of him naming himself president for life during the 200 election mayhem (which Gore DID win )

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal