Old April 25, 2002, 04:53   #61
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
A vote for Adamsj is a vote against Hydey - But that's a good thing!

While some may say that Hydey has been "vigilant" in his duties, and "never restful," it is more accurate to note that his actions mainly consisted of (1) repeatedly telling the president to build embassies, (2) expecting the president to drop everything to build said embassies, (3) acting as though the Foreign Ministry is above all other governmental organizations, and (4) wasting everyone's time.

While Hydey may claim that his job as Foreign Minister's purpose was to focus on the Foreign Ministry's goals to the exclusion of everything else, that is not true. It is vitally important to our Great Civilization that all our leaders and advisors see the Big Picture, and put the good of our Civilization above the good of their office.

I ask you, has Hydey looked at the Big Picture? No. He doesn't consider the good of the civilization, except where it aligns with his and his office's goals. He cannot see the Forest of our Civilization because for the single Tree marked "Office of Foreign Ministry."

- Presidential Candidate Shadowlord

After veiwing this and a number of other posts directed at me and recieving a number of PM's It has become clear that I am preventing others from full enjoyment of this democratic game. I have never wished to deminish anyone enjoyment and as such I resign imeadiately from the possition of foreign minister and withdraw from the upcoming election. I would hope these actions will help those people I have upset to go on now and have as much enjoyment in this game as I was having and had hoped to continue having.

To those of you that have problems with me style of play acting for this game, you should now be able to have a nice game with no differing of opinions and everyone getting along nice and happy

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old April 25, 2002, 06:09   #62
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
WHAT!?!?!?!

Hydey, please don't listen to the candidates! They are just doing it for the votes. You know what politicians are like in election year! Damn, I was looking forward to you being Foreign Advisor this time around.

They just aren't used to outspoken Aussies like we Kiwis are.

I urge you to reconsider - I'm sure that, with time, these soon-to-be Councillors will come to enjoy having you among their number.

And as for everyone else - I'm ashamed of you. (I need a shaking-head-disapprovingly smiley.) Look what you've done! This game is not for censoring of opinions, nor of isolating certain ppl from participating. I ask everyone to encourage Hydey to stay, and make this term a fun one. We need a strong dissenting voice or three to keep us all honest.

C'mon guys. Do it for democracy - will you stay, Hydey?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 25, 2002, 06:49   #63
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 00:24
I see there is still no-one for the trade post...well...I'll nominate myself for this post...this term I still have some time(not much but more than enough for this job...especially since we will get in a war-time economy)

I see cavebear want's to become next prez...and shadowlord...
the choice won't be easy.
Cavebear has shown to be the perfect cityplanner and therefor would also be a good candidate for prez...but we would lose a great city planner.And what about our friend shadowlord? He's new at the job(has been an active citizen,so knows how things go) and (something he isn't awear of: he has an idea of what's going on in our empire but not in the same detail as the current cabinetmembers...and I think this might be important for the next term).I think the combo Cavebear-Shadowlord would be most beneficial...Cavebear as prez and Shadowlord as his cityplanner.
This way we have someone in control who already knows perfectly what our status is and what can and what can't be done...and Shadowlord can in this time show his magnificens in planning the cities in an even beter way then Cavebear(if that's even possible)...they can work very closely together and teach one-another.And those who learn of the best can only become the best and become next president...president Shadowlord in june.
But this is only my humble oppinion.
No mather what happens,you both have my support.

Shade,King from this moment on
Old April 25, 2002, 06:56   #64
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Congrats on Kingdom, shade. Does this make you King Shade, first King of Apolytonia?

Maybe if I end up running for something this time around I'll get to the level where I can have my own Avatar. Want that Avataaaarrrr!

Old April 25, 2002, 07:16   #65
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

YES!!!! It Works!!!

Time for a two-horse race. I proclaim myself a candidate for Trade Advisor, in friendly (if perhaps token ) competition to our incredibly popular President shade.

Just bring it. And if I lose I'd L ve to be VP. :flutters eyelashes:

Old April 25, 2002, 07:39   #66
shade
King

good luck

Shade
Old April 25, 2002, 07:58   #67
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Why thank you sir.

<< Adopts HHH like voice >>>

But, ahh. I'm not going to need it, aah. See you at the Pay per View, er, election day.

Old April 25, 2002, 08:22   #68
James Adams
Prince

Local Time: 23:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
A vote for Adamsj is a vote against Hydey - But that's a good thing!

While some may say that Hydey has been "vigilant" in his duties, and "never restful," it is more accurate to note that his actions mainly consisted of (1) repeatedly telling the president to build embassies, (2) expecting the president to drop everything to build said embassies, (3) acting as though the Foreign Ministry is above all other governmental organizations, and (4) wasting everyone's time.

While Hydey may claim that his job as Foreign Minister's purpose was to focus on the Foreign Ministry's goals to the exclusion of everything else, that is not true. It is vitally important to our Great Civilization that all our leaders and advisors see the Big Picture, and put the good of our Civilization above the good of their office.

I ask you, has Hydey looked at the Big Picture? No. He doesn't consider the good of the civilization, except where it aligns with his and his office's goals. He cannot see the Forest of our Civilization because for the single Tree marked "Office of Foreign Ministry."

- Presidential Candidate Shadowlord

Thanks, I agree as i should for Shadowlord to be President, and thank him for an indirect support, but what about Our third nominance to run for foreign minister!
Old April 25, 2002, 08:34   #69
James Adams
Prince

Hydey. I was only going for votes, not one is being personally. I like you as a person and member of the game. Please continue and go a candid next term.

But where is the third candid!
Old April 25, 2002, 09:43   #70
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
As a Candidate, I believe I have an obligation to the People to answer truthfully any question or implied question as to my beliefs on any topic concerning our Great Civilization.
How good a politician is he, then?

It's refreshing to see actual debate going on! Our candidates are serious about the job, they want to sway the voters!

As for the post of Supreme Military Commander, there is no debate to have.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 25, 2002, 09:54   #71
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
As for the post of Supreme Military Commander, there is no debate to have.
this is what makes a great Military advisor:
suppres opposition wich hasn't even started yet.

Shade
Old April 25, 2002, 10:53   #72
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 18:24
As per President Shade's request, I am now officially running for City Planner (in addition to running for President). As City Planner, I will continue to ensure that a steady output of Caravans is available, in addition to ensuring that a large enough military is trained to provide both offense and defense for our Great Civilization, and that we shall be certain to build improvements to boost our research, where they will do good, and improvements to boost our income, where they will do good. (Note: Remember, building a marketplace does no good in a city with less than 2 gold income because it does have a maintenance cost. That is, until we get Adam Smith's.)

This is going to be one very strange election.

P.S. It's funny how the candidates with no opposition are being very quiet now - They must be trying their hardest not to offend anyone by not saying anything. I suggest you folks ask them some questions about their plans, so you have some information to help you decide whether or not to vote on them.

Mr. President, or Vice President, whoever handles this, I have a question.. What happens if no-one runs for a position? And, what happens if only one person runs, and they get less than 50% yes votes? Do they fail to get elected? Is the position appointed? Or do we have the VP handle the duties of that office? (It would give him something to do)
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 25, 2002, 11:11   #73
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:24
Meh, now everybody is falling over the position of Trade Advisor.

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old April 25, 2002, 11:12   #74
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

AAAARGH someone took away my cookies from this PC.

*Awrence continues to curse school pcs*

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old April 25, 2002, 11:37   #75
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Shadowlord, the last election we had the VP of the time run a poll with no-confidence options for those who ran unopposed. Some ppl got to vent their spleen, but nobody was given more no-confidence votes than actual votes. I guess this happens again this time. /shrug/

HsFB: are you that Argentinian again?

Old April 25, 2002, 13:16   #76
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
HsFB: are you that Argentinian again?
No, it is another man with the same name.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old April 25, 2002, 16:43   #77
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Yes, it was me, I was at school and I the connection was ruddy enough to be logging off and on.

*kicks whereisat's shins*

Old April 25, 2002, 18:01   #78
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

*gasp* I won't tell if you support me!

Old April 25, 2002, 21:17   #79
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

[opinion no one cares about]I plan on voting for shadowlord for prez, hydey for foreign advisor, and cavebear for city planner[/opinion no one cares about]

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 25, 2002, 21:51   #80
cavebear
Emperor

Every citizen has the right to vote as they choose. That's the whole purpose of this.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 25, 2002, 22:07   #81
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Well, Civman, if everyone votes the same as you, it'll definitely be an interesting term. :P

But cavebear's got it exactly right. We can campaign for ourselves, for others, against our opponents, against other people's opponents, and so on, and we may influence some people, but in the end, it comes down to what the voters think, and many of the voters may not have even read our speeches (God forbid!), but still think they should vote...

Here's a campaign promise: If I'm elected, I'll ask the VP to commission a poll to ask the people why they voted for the candidates they voted for. (Don't answer now! Wait until the elections are over! )
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 25, 2002, 22:20   #82
cavebear
Emperor

Shadowlord - If things turn out as I hope, I look forward to having you be the Minister of City Planning while I am President. I think you will do a good job of it.

And I will add that it looks like this is going to be one of the best Cabinets ever assembled (no dis on the past ones, though).

I can't wait to learn the outcome of the hotly-contested Foreign Minister position, but I'm sure the best candidate will be elected!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old April 26, 2002, 07:35   #83
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hey! How's about a little support for the absolute underdog here! I am going up for Trade Advisor against our current Prez shade!

He could still have me eliminated, you know. And fed to the camels (NOOOOOOoooooo...).

I can only survive with your popular recognition and acclaim.

Old April 26, 2002, 07:42   #84
shade
King

Quote:
He could still have me eliminated, you know. And fed to the camels (NOOOOOOoooooo...).
If I'd do that I'm sure Immortal Wombat would try to kill me for not treating the camels well enough.

Shade
Old April 26, 2002, 08:09   #85
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hey! I am low fat.

And rather tasty.

Old April 26, 2002, 08:13   #86
James Adams
Prince

Quote:
Hey! I am low fat.

And rather tasty.
Lets be serious!
Old April 26, 2002, 08:18   #87
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Serious!

THAT is a good one!

Old April 26, 2002, 09:57   #88
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

current list

President:
Shadowlord / cavebear

Vice-president:

Science Advisor:
ixnay37

Foreign Advisor:
Nimitz / adamsj

Millitary Advisor:
Marquis de Sodaq

Trade Advisor:
shade / MrWhereItsAt

City Planner:
cavebear / Shadowlord

Imperial Expansion:
CannonFodder

Historian:
Jrabbit
Old April 26, 2002, 10:03   #89
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Quote:
Mr. President, or Vice President, whoever handles this, I have a question.. What happens if no-one runs for a position? And, what happens if only one person runs, and they get less than 50% yes votes? Do they fail to get elected? Is the position appointed? Or do we have the VP handle the duties of that office? (It would give him something to do)
let´s hope it never happens

ok,

i will post tonight just one poll for president, and no any for city planner, the one that wins the presidential poll will be the president and the second one the city planner

since the two candidates for president will be already in the cabinet the president will appoint his vice-president

I will post the polls tonight, (at night in europe)
Old April 26, 2002, 10:20   #90
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:24
To late to run for Science advisor again?