Old April 23, 2002, 21:33   #1
Forrest Gimp
Settler

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Demand Terraforming!! Ai Bug????
HAS ANYONE ELSE CONFIRMED THIS???

I have v1.31 and only play impossible. But every time i meet another civ, i immediately check to see if they have terraforming, (i.e. from Chugg the administrator, who appears in the early game.). AND EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY GAVE IT TO ME.

Now they may have declared war on me 5 turns later, but they always ended up giving me whats worth 1500 rp for nothing.

And since i play aquatic, there's my Gaia transformation (woo -hoo!)

Plz try this and confirm it 4 yourself.

I tried doing the same thing with autolab, but alas they weren't generous
Forrest Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2002, 11:05   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:29
What do you mean by give it to you? I have never had any AI give me anything on any difficulty setting or patch level.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2002, 18:43   #3
Forrest Gimp
Settler

Demand terraforming!!
Oops.. i thought the title was self-explanatory. What i mean is, when u click on th races button on the galaxy map, you then click on the each particular race u meet in the game. The choices given are: propose treaty, declare war, offer gift, etc. You then click on the word "demand" and you can then demand a system or technology. More than half the time you do this they will probably declare war on you, but I noticed that EVERY SINGLE TIME I DEMANDED TERRAFORMING, they gave it to me.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.
Old April 24, 2002, 19:36   #4
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, yeah I like to demand 5% at first and then later a system. I guess I thought you meant spontaniously they gave you something. They give stuff for bribes to stop wars or prevent them. I was confused with Starships were you will have AI give stuff unsolicited.
Old May 4, 2002, 13:35   #5
Forrest Gimp
Settler

Just for the record, and to help out other players I noticed that you can usually get away with demanding planetary supercomputer, cloning center, battlestation, and fighter garrison. With these its about 60/40 they wont declare war on you.
Old May 16, 2002, 15:33   #6
AIL
Warlord

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That declares why all the AI's always have it! They know the same thing like you and demand it from the one who gets it via the Leader...
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 04:29   #7
Clear Skies
Prince

I've noticed AIs getting dimensional portals at stupidly early points in the game as well. It's very odd.
Has anyone ever rescued/hired the planetary ecologist leader who looks like a fat slug? He brings terraforming with him, and if you do hire him early in the game he'll give you a big boost - but he completely flours up any techsharing, because whatever tech you ask for, the AI will demand terraforming in exchange. Grr.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 04:53   #8
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

SMAC: Give it to them. Trade that forming around for as much as you can get. Build ships while they waste prod forming their planets and take them over when they're done.

I love trading terraforming. In fact I always give it away if I can't trade it.
Old May 23, 2002, 13:43   #9
vmxa1
Deity

I have gotten him, but on hard level I do not trade. I just go to war. At impossible level, then I will trade, no weapons or defenses though, unless it is obsolete.
Old May 23, 2002, 14:02   #10
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Trade away your guns too! It's not as if the AI can build ships worth spit anyway. The only thing you should keep to yourself are spying techs, Autolab (if gotten very early) and planetary shileds/ground defenses. All else is useless to the AI, because they can't really us it anyway. Oh yeah, avoid trading good computers too.
Old May 23, 2002, 18:14   #11
vmxa1
Deity

yeah, basically anything osolete is a possible canidate. I just don't bother.
Old July 9, 2002, 15:23   #12
Orcus
Prince

If I get terraforming, I trade it to everyone I can talk to, immediately. I'll even trade it for Reinforced Hull or ridiculous crap like that. I'll take anything they have for it, since if I don't trade it to everyone all at once, they'll trade it to each other anyway. Might as well be me that profits by it.

Why give them terraforming? As mentioned by Moom, why the hell not? They'll do all the work for you! By the time they've upgraded that tundra iceball into a place worth calling "home", my troops are arriving to dispute that.
Old July 12, 2002, 10:55   #13
Admiral
Prince

Local Time: 18:29
I play impossible, and it never seems that the AI ever uses terraforming. And, again on impossible, i can usually demand any one tech from a race, and if i'm on good terms with them, any two. In a recent game, i was trying to get someone to declare war on me, and i kept demanding systems, and they gave them to me. In the end, i just had to use the old fashioned declare option, must to my disgrace (i'm a pacifist, really).
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2002, 13:23   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Demanding things from the AI is almost unfair. I played tons of gmes on impossible at all map sizes. By the time you are able to demand, the game as turn to where you have the upper hand anyway. Stealing from the AI is fair game, but demanding is too easy.
Old July 12, 2002, 14:08   #15
Admiral
Prince

the funny thing is, i was second from the bottom on the tech tree. The AI had the capability to send one of their 3x amount of command points available fleets at any time.
"Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok
Old July 12, 2002, 14:31   #16
vmxa1
Deity

That is why it is unfair. The AI is dumb. It looks at how many ships you have and compares it to its own. If you have empty hulls that is good enough. You can demand with very little. Many consider it as a form of cheating. I do not do it myself, other than to deman they stop spying. I like to go with repulsive so I can not even talk to them, only declare war.
Old July 12, 2002, 14:38   #17
Admiral
Prince

Does it matter what class of ship it is?
Old July 12, 2002, 15:52   #18
vmxa1
Deity

Yes.
I was wondering at what point in the game you are making these demands? My experience at impossible is that I can not deman anything in the early part of the game, even when not repulsive. That means turn 200 or so or earlier. By the time I am on the move (non tele) after say turn 250 or so, then I have enough to get respect. I am not to sure that I could demand much other than tech though. At Hard level, I can with just two good battleships. If I refit them soon I can demand tribute and most will go along. At the same stage in an impossible game they declare war if I try that. This is version 1.31 that is, v1.2 is another story altogether.

Last edited by vmxa1; July 12, 2002 at 17:43.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:29   #19
Admiral
Prince

Well, i usually start at advanced, and tend to keep around three battleships operational. As to the version, i have the latest mac version, whatever that is.
Old July 12, 2002, 17:58   #20
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I can not address the Mac version, I know that there are some differences, but not what they are.